main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Yularen in Rebels

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by sarlaccsaurs-rex, Mar 9, 2015.

1. Kassius Konstantine

Kassius Konstantine Jedi Master star 1

Mar 1, 2015
    Perhaps the information in the Tarkin-novel was inaccurate, a left-over from the old C-Canon?
    I would not be surprised if the current non-TV/movie Canon can be overwritten by the show or the movies like the C-Canon back then. I for one do not believe anything until I see it on-screen.

It is just as likely that Lego made a mistake, though.

... which is no longer canon. The only on-screen ISB member we know is Kallus - and his uniform looks totally different. If they keep the Yularen = ISB story in Rebels, I hope they explain this discrepancy.

Actually, I would prefer it if Yularen remained a Fleet officer. But if he is ISB, then I agree with many of you: he should interact with Kallus.

2. sarlaccsaurs-rex

sarlaccsaurs-rex Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 10, 2007
    Make that happen Filoni!!! :)

I could also see Tarkin biting his tounge or smirking to that line, as the novel implies he knows Anakin is Vader.

darklordoftech likes this.
  3. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Easiest discrepancy to deal with ever... Kallus is always shown in BDUs (Battle Dress Uniform) while the white uniform is the formal uniform.

4. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Okay, yeah I knew about the EU.

5. Kassius Konstantine

Mar 1, 2015
    This explanation has been tried many times before. But when Veers and Tarkin went to battle they added body-armour and helmet to their uniforms, they did not switch out their tunics. It is very likely that Kallus is doing exactly the same, wearing armour and helmet over his regular uniform.

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  6. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012

Weird bit with that is there seemed to have been some effort put into getting characters in their proper uniforms. The ground commanders (Grint, Aresko, and the quartermaster) all wear the proper brown uniforms of the Imperial Army. The enlisted men on the Star Destroyer wear the black cap and grey jumpsuit (with insignia) of the Imperial Navy. The officers wear the grey tunic of the Imperial Navy. The only difference between the Rebels speeder biker's uniform and the EU Imperial Army enlisted BDU is a color swap on the helmet and a faceplate.

The green that Kallus wears is an oddity... maybe they just wanted him to stand out. Another thing to consider is that Kallus is wearing the Enforcement Agent's uniform, while Yularen is wearing the Intelligence Agent's uniform.

7. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    Kallus isn't wearing green, and Aresko & Grint aren't really wearing brown, either (tho Lego has chosen Dark Tan for Imp Officers in their Rebels sets). It's all lighting... note that Tarkin's uniform is identical in color to that of Grint & Aresko.

Brown was only really a thing in Dark Forces, and that was really brown; the warm-gray of some uniforms in Rebels is usually due to Lothal's sunlight.

8. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I wonder if most of Imperial high command had there suspicions of who Vader was and I am guessing Yularen thought he was Anakin since he was with Anakin much longer then Tarkin was and Tarkin figured it out.

9. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    I think that it'd be limited to those who knew/interacted with Anakin personally, more so than just a brief meeting. So Tarkin and Yularen would make sense.

10. sarlaccsaurs-rex

Apr 10, 2007
    It would be interesting to see how Yularen, Vader, Tarkin act with one another. One thing I liked in TCW is that we seen the villians perspective of things a lot in the series.

11. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    Well I'd imagine that Vader and Tarkin would get along pretty well. Anakin and Tarkin seemed to respect each other in TCW and they seem to share similar views on many things. And they're scenes in ANH didn't show any real hostility, at least that I picked up on. Yularen, yeah that would be interesting. The guy got no lines in ANH after all.

12. Toonimator

Aug 16, 2006
    Neither did anyone else at the table outside of Motti, Tagge, Tarkin, and Bast... he just has the distinction of being the only one present wearing black pants with a white tunic :p

13. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Maybe now that we have more episode, we could see more empire centric episodes rather than always the same characters, that is what I liked with TCW with the side stories.

14. sarlaccsaurs-rex

Apr 10, 2007
    Can someone post a pic of all the officers at the table? Yularen aside Idk any of the other non-speaking men.

15. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Vader's rank is odd to figure, as he seems to operate outside of Military authority and with a great deal of impunity but at the same time subservient to it and would have to answer to suits and be under orders. In ANH the officers didnt seem scared of Vader as would be by ESB where things are dfferent. If some officers knew that Vader was Anakin, it is not likely they'd make it obvious if they valued their lives. Could be like an open secret, but I cant imagine Vader would be pleased taking orders and put under the command of military brass. Perhaps would feel worse than when he was under the Jedi Council. If anything would be only by ESB would seem to have fuller command over the military that also be due that much of the military top leaders die aboard the Death Star and without Tarkin no non-Sith would obtain that level of authority.

16. Toonimator

Aug 16, 2006
  17. Thrawn082

Jan 11, 2014
    Tarkin: "NONE of you speak, except for me and Vader because we're awesome. Oh and you two being the reasonable ones, and you Motti. You get to say someone stupid so that we can show Vader's force-choking abilities, ok? The rest of you, just sit there and look kind of British."

18. Vib3s

Vib3s Jedi Master star 2

Nov 28, 2014
    Got to give him credit, even though it's short, i love his character theme;

19. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    that really brings me back.

Vib3s and TheSilentInfluence like this.
  20. sarlaccsaurs-rex

Apr 10, 2007
    I want to see more star destroyer/ rebel fleet action. Would love to see how Yularen could fit into this.

darklordoftech likes this.
  21. Kassius Konstantine

Mar 1, 2015
    Returning to the character: I always found the character of Yularen in TCW was badly written, lacking consistency. Sometimes he was an understanding and almost father-like commander, like in Storm over Ryloth. But only a few episodes (Cargo of Doom) later he'd be arrogant, condescending, and dismissive. Again a few episodes later (Cat and Mouse) he serves as a kind of friend, voluntarily subordinating himself as advisor to Anakin. At max you could say a sense of military professionalism is the overarching character trait, but even that would be a bit of a stretch. On the other hand, it is something to build on in Rebels, when he serves the Empire.

It could be interesting to explore how his relationship with Anakin, which was difficult enough ("of all the Jedi, why did I end up with Skywalker!?"), influences his relation with Vader. Surely Vader will remember, even if Yularen does not know anything.

Iron_lord and sarlaccsaurs-rex like this.
  22. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I agree completely.

23. Mojo120

Mojo120 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 5, 2014

He isn't quite sure, but whenever he's out there with Vader... he just gets this familiar sense of frustration.

24. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    I never thought of Yularen as a particularly good person. In TCW he was a conservative, rather passive pencil-pusher, who whines a lot about Anakin's methods and doesn't seem to actively do very much. The one time when he is in charge of operations and the Jedi need reinforcements, he almost seems gleeful when he withholds them.

Nonetheless, I think he could be an original villain for rebels and I'd like to see him in there. Imo he is an example of someone who got his position through his connection and descendance of an aristocratic family, not through skill, and is content for waiting for promotion. That in turn makes him a foil for Vader and Tarkin, who both grew up in the rim, are extremely driven and ambitious. He is also someone who can believably be beat by the ghost crew and/or who could screw up so badly that they manage to escape Tarkin's or Vader's wrath.

25. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    I thought he had a more strained relationship with Anakin in Cargo of Doom because he had spent enough time to get to really know Anakin. Cat and Mouse is set much earlier, and it shows their first real encounter, so he would be a bit more welcoming, not kowing what Anakin was like yet.

Iron_lord likes this.