main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Yuuzhan Vong=Terrorists

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Anakin_1984, Feb 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anakin_1984

Anakin_1984 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 31, 2001
    Does any one else agree that the Vong are pretty much an empire of terrorists? They definitely struck fear in the NR since they were willing to 'look the other way'while the Jedi were being killed or captured by the Vong & Peace Brigade. I also believe that if the technology existed, terrorists would not hesitate to pull the Moon down on the Earth, they dont care about their lives or the lives of others.

2. chissdude10

chissdude10 Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    They are very much like Osama Bin Ladens terrorist organization. Like him they are fighting a Jehad, or holy war. They are also not affraid to kill inocent people for what they belive in.

3. exar-tull

exar-tull Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 22, 2001
    more like the muesliem turks centeries ago that took constantnobale, this is very close to the turning point in the war they took coruscant they are streched abit thin these days.

4. Grand Admiral Wettengel

Grand Admiral Wettengel Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 10, 2000
    I wouldn't characterize the Vong as being terrorists. They are more like the Mongols - a warrior vulture of nomads bent on conquering large swaths of territory.

Clearly, the label of 'terrorist' cannot be applied to an entire culture. And terrorists practice unconventional warfare - suicide bombings and the like - and the Vong are not practicing unconventional warfare by the standards of the GFFA.

Yes, the Vong's weapons are exotic and outlandish, but I do not see them being used in an unconventional fashion. Planets have been destroyed before. While it is true that none of them were teraformed, it still is not a terrorist act for the Vong to adapt these worlds to their needs.

5. darthparth

darthparth Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 10, 2001
    I agree with GAW. There is no reason to call the YV terrorists. To call them terrorists would be like calling the USA terrorists, and I know you don't want that. With all of our recent sensitivity towards the subject and the decidedly negative connotation of the word, I doubt anyone would even bring up such a topic for any reason other than to provoke forum-goers into an argument, or to provide a convenient label for the antagonists in a story, who, from a "certain point of view", have done nothing wrong - wrong being defined as something against their moral code.

Aha.

6. sith1137

sith1137 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 13, 2001
    now that you mention it, it does sound like that.

7. Kier_Nimmion

Kier_Nimmion Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 9, 2000

I wouldn't characterize the Vong as being terrorists. They are more like the Mongols - a warrior vulture of nomads bent on conquering large swaths of territory.

Short of the fact that they do engage in terror techniques, no. Mongols is about the best comparison that I have seen so far. Only the Mongols tended to leave the infrastructure in place to let conquered territories run themselves under their rule. Otherwise, very apt.

Clearly, the label of 'terrorist' cannot be applied to an entire culture. And terrorists practice unconventional warfare - suicide bombings and the like - and the Vong are not practicing unconventional warfare by the standards of the GFFA.

Yes and no. The Yuuzhan Vong are not above some pretty scummy techniques- hostages and using civilians as shields- which I think were thrown in just to convince the one or two people out there who still believe they ain't evil.

Yes, the Vong's weapons are exotic and outlandish, but I do not see them being used in an unconventional fashion. Planets have been destroyed before. While it is true that none of them were teraformed, it still is not a terrorist act for the Vong to adapt these worlds to their needs.

True, think of it as a scorched earth policy that MacCarther wanted to adopt in Korea. Belkaden, etc. wasn't destroyed, just modified to suit the needs of the invaders.

Utilizing terror is a standard function in war, just like propaganda is. Terrorists, not all, pretty conventional if you asked me.

8. jastermereel

jastermereel Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 19, 1998
    Were the nazis terrorists?...how about the romans?...or the spanish?......all invaded territory not their own with the intent of the anihilation of the established cultre and population......all used techniques that are horrific and instill terror into those who they attack...and yet...most people just consider them invading forces...not terrorists......if the vong had started off this war by dropping a moon on a noteable planet...with the intent simply to strike fear into the population of GFFA but to no immense stratigic advantage...THEN they might be terrorists...at least for that act...but...no...presently...despite their horrific actions......they aren't terrorists...

Besides...they aren't part of presedent unelect bush's "axis of evil"...

9. BobaFetts_Clone

BobaFetts_Clone Jedi Youngling star 2

May 12, 2001
    I wouldn't call them terrorist. I agree with jaster, i mean we don't consider other invading forces terroritsts. The romans were pretty cruel at times against dissenting poplations. They are an invading force.

Now terrorists, at least in my defination are no a whole culture, but a small group of people who use violence to push their poin tof view without a tangible gain except fear from the other population.

The invading forces all had reasons for their actions. The Vong destroyed the planet for fear but also for raw material, the planet did no go to waste. Also the romans etc. used fear to keep the "local systems inline" if they needed it. terrorists do it to gain fear from the other population....

10. Grand Admiral Wettengel

Grand Admiral Wettengel Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 10, 2000
    Kier,

My specialty in history is confined more to the 19th and 20th century, so my understnading of the Mongols is only superficial at best.

Yes, the Vong have done some underhanded things, but that does not make them terrorists. What they are engaged in is warfare which is not the same animal as terrorism. The Vong deploy fleets of worldships, thousands upon thousands of warriors and a highly versitile cache of weaponry.

Compare the Vong to Al Queda for a moment. Estimates that I've seen place the number of followers that bin Laden has at 3,000. Certainly, there are many more than 3,000 Vong - the number would probably have to be multiplied several hundred fold to get an accurate number of Vong.

By their nature, terrorist groups are rather decentralized, whereas the nation-state is a complex, multifaceted entity.

General MacArtuhur wanted to do a lot more than practice a scorched earth policy against North Korea. Douglas wanted to use nuclear weapons against the Chinese as well.

Jaster,

I believe that applying to the label 'terrorist' to certain organs of the Third Reich is apt particularly when talking about the SS and the Party. However, I certainly would not label the men of the Wehrmacht as terrosists. I am a rather strong defender of the professionalism of the Heer, Kreigsmarine and Luftwaffe.

And as far as I know the Romans never practiced genocide.

11. jastermereel

jastermereel Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 19, 1998
    Exactly my point......they weren't terrorists.........altough there were more specific internal sections that come closer to being as such, simply by being part of the organized whole sort of disqualifed them...imho...

12. MoronDude

MoronDude Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 1, 2000
    I've considered before that the YV were like the Terrorists we are now dealing with. I mean, both the YV and Terrorists believe their actions justified and are doing horrible things in the name of their Gods. They also want to destroy a Democratic society they consider infedels. It's very similar. I mean consider the role of Women in the Taliban and the Shamed Ones in the Vong society.

But one thought kept popping into my head that ultimately kept me from opening this same thread.

The Yuuzhan Vong invaded the New Republic. The Al Queda(sp?) hit and ran, and hid in their own space. That's what it comes down to. The Yuuzhan Vong are not terrorists, in fact they do not care if the citizens of the New Republic are afraid. They are Invaders, Hordes, Huns if you will.

They are much more dangerous than any Terrorist group could ever be.

13. Kier_Nimmion

Kier_Nimmion Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 9, 2000

GAW...

My specialty in history is confined more to the 19th and 20th century, so my understnading of the Mongols is only superficial at best.

It wasn't intended as an admonishment, rather I agreed and buttressed your initial argument with additional information.

Yes, the Vong have done some underhanded things, but that does not make them terrorists. What they are engaged in is warfare which is not the same animal as terrorism. The Vong deploy fleets of worldships, thousands upon thousands of warriors and a highly versitile cache of weaponry.

Uh-huh, but I said they used terror, which they do. They are not terrorists.

Compare the Vong to Al Queda for a moment. Estimates that I've seen place the number of followers that bin Laden has at 3,000. Certainly, there are many more than 3,000 Vong - the number would probably have to be multiplied several hundred fold to get an accurate number of Vong.

Similarities only, and superficial at best. Their tactics, save for the hostages and human shields, are as far from a terrorist group as can be.

By their nature, terrorist groups are rather decentralized, whereas the nation-state is a complex, multifaceted entity.

Working in cels- yah, again, ilustrating the difference from the Yuuzhan Vong.

General MacArtuhur wanted to do a lot more than practice a scorched earth policy against North Korea. Douglas wanted to use nuclear weapons against the Chinese as well.

The latter was implied. Hence why Truman fired him and quite rightly so.

14. DaJames2

DaJames2 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 17, 2002
    They are mroe dangerous than any terrorist group, because they have a PLAN. In the long run, terrorists are threats to individuals, sometimes even large numbers of individuals. But as far as i know, very few terrorist groups in history have actually managed to bring down and destroy utterly a powerful nation that they had a problem with. The Vong have dismantled the NR.

Osama has not really achieved all that much in close to 6 months now. In 6 months, the vong had taken over a significant fraction of the NR and had struck terror into the general populace, alienating the people from thier own guardians the Jedi.

Bombing an innocent multi-national civilian target (the WTC) and killing thousands is an act of evil. Without question, Osama's quarrel was not with the people he had killed on September 11, and if i was at all inclined to religion, i would say that he and the pilots who performed the deed have imperiled thier souls beyond redemption. Bringing down the moon on Serpindal was also a similar act of evil. Both Osama and the Vong have used tactics of pure evil.

However, the Vong are different from Osama (and the NR) in that they are fighting a smart war. Their campaign was very nearly destroyed at the beginning, but NR politicians (and i direct your attention to a bothan named Borsk) gave them a lucky break and since then, they've done all the right moves, used every advantage (moral and immoral) and of course, have had monumental luck with potential crises like Centerpoint and the various things Viqi Shesh has circumvented. The Vong knew that their forces were spread out and many of them experiencing critical difficulties at the start of their campaign, and they compensated accurately for that in the beginning, but their losses are mounting.

Centerpoint destroyed half of a major fleet. Serpindal has cost them huge numbers of lives : military and civilian. They are stretched across space, as has been mentioned before. The remaining forces in the galaxy will no longer trust them after they broke off the truce, and i'm sure that the Vong's knowledge of the areas in which the fight will continue is minimal compared to the defenders. Jedi techs are finally managing to successfully mimic and modify Vong technology, and with the deaths of so many hostages at Coruscant, the Vong are running out of hostage advantage somewhat. And finally, as a pychological advantage, their glorified leader whose presence validates the campaign in so many Vong minds, is suffering from a defect that could cost him his position and his people's sense of the moral high ground.

The time has never been riper for the galactic defenders to show the Vong that they've entered the wrong galaxy and show them the way to the exit. That time with Osama is still around, though i imagine its costly to Bush's campaign that he still retains his freedom. Or is it ?

15. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    Personally, I'm still trying to get past that warrior vulture thing. I'm sure you meant culture instead of vulture. But I just have this image of vultures wearing armor and carrying weapons in their talons, swooping down and slaughtering folks, then circling for a while before feasting on the carrion they created.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.