main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

YVH Droids: more than meets the eye...

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Thrawn McEwok, Jan 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoruusCbaoth

JoruusCbaoth Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 14, 2003
    I don't necessarily feel the same about Kre'fey, I think he's certainly better at his job than Sovv ever was, but his loyalty is not to the New Republic/Galactic Alliance whatever, it's to the Bothan people. Granted, I haven't read TFP or TUF yet, but Kre'key was willing to declare an islamic jihad on the Yuuzhan Vong, to the point of defying orders to carry it out.

He's no Ackbar, that's for sure. Garm Bel Iblis deserved the job, IMO.

2. Pelranius

Pelranius Jedi Master star 5

Apr 25, 2003
    I think Garm Bel Iblis also wants to retire.

3. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Joruus:

I agree.

Honestly, I can't understand why Bel Iblis did not recieve the job when Ackbar retired.

Then again, do we know for sure when Garm actually retired? We know that he was reactivated in the NJO, but I do not think that we know when he did.

In fact, I would be willing to bet that Bel Iblis retired at the same time as Ackbar and Drayson, 21 years after Endor.

As to Traest, its hard to say. Before DW, he was characterized as a "New Bothan". Yet, after DW he is definately different. Whether it is because of a authors writing style or not remains to be seen.

Either way, I don't see Traest as a someone who would conciously betray the Alliance. But, if he were manipulated by Bothan intelligence.....

--Nick

4. JoruusCbaoth

Apr 14, 2003
    I think he's a typical Bothan, apply a new coat of paint, and it's still the same car. His loyalty goes as follows:

1. Personal power
    2. The Bothan people
    3. The New Republic
    4. The forces under his command

In that exact order, too. As long as all four interests fall in line, great, but if his lust for personal power or a Bothan ruling family decree conflicts with his duties, it's not much of a leap of logic to determine what he'll do.

5. Shadeleader

Shadeleader Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 25, 2003
    Should his rank or authority be even implicity threatened, Traest would do whatever he was told to protect it. It's the Bothan way.

6. Pelranius

Apr 25, 2003
    For the record, I thought Fey'lya's writings sounded a bit like Palpatine's darkside compendium.

I'm sure we can trust Kre'fey, but then people don't always stay the same.

7. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    We can trust Traest just like we could trust Borsk - trust him to defend freedom to his last breath, because freedom must mean freedom for everyone - even Bothans...

Rather than visiting the Jesnaari, Akanah and Thracia Cho Leem, Jacen Solo should take lessons in squaring the circle from those guys...

- The Imperial Ewok

8. JoruusCbaoth

Apr 14, 2003
    On the other hand, if it meant sending plenty of other people to their deaths in order to make sure Bothawui and Kothlis maintained their status quo, I have no doubt that most powerful Bothans would do what they had to.

9. SpeldoriontheBlended

SpeldoriontheBlended Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 12, 2002
    Yeah. i agree with most of the stuff said on Garm and Sovv. To be honest, I think Traest was a bit disapointing in the end half of the NJO. I was really looking forwards to some Traest v. Borsk debates, but that was all thrown away, which I think is a shame, especially as it basically wipes Asyr off the map. *Gets a new mini-bunny for the uber-AU* Mwahahahahahaaaa... [face_devil]

Sorry. Must dash. Have an Asyr-led Bothan Resistance to write. :D

10. Thrawn McEwok

May 9, 2000
  11. Shadeleader

Jul 25, 2003
    The way you push this thing, I may have to read it.

12. Thrawn McEwok

May 9, 2000
    Shadeleader: nah, that's another one... just a FYI to explain what the heck Blended and myself were talking about... [face_blush]

I wouldn't worry about it... :p

[Dark Paths, btw, is the one you were thinking about... ;)]

I'm not sure if it reads as well now that the boards are pink, though... [face_mischief]

- The Imperial Ewok

13. boba_aint_no_clone

boba_aint_no_clone Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 3, 2004
    What happened to the over the top disscussion on YVH droids being the new clone army, and Cal Omas being the new Palpitine. How did you guys ever get off topic on that one, gee I wonder.

That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard.

14. Shadeleader

Jul 25, 2003
    Well, BANC, feel free to get the ball rolling again, since you seem to be such a fan.

15. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    I'll read an Asyr fic. She's my second favorite Rogue, after Ooryl. ;)

16. SpeldoriontheBlended

SpeldoriontheBlended Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 12, 2002
    Thrawn: [shameless plug for idle 'semicircular robin' fanfic]

Actually, I was thinking of one of the other other uber-AUs I'm working on at the moment, (I have three I'm involved with that fit the bill. The New Order, Treecave's AEU, which I think that you would seriously be interested in and can provide a link if you so desire [/plug] and my own; a Valin Horn NJO AU set 40 ABY. Not to mention several other things, including a Corran/Lujane Forge romance story I've promised to write. It's going to be in the Valin one, when it's finally written) but, now that I think about it, that makes complete and utter sense...

Actually, what's happening with the NO? The ez seems to be dormant currently. [face_plain] *PM's*

BANC:

Wow. Thank you for your very polite and thaught provoking comments. Especially the last bit: That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. Absolutely scintilating. [/snarkyness]

Oh, and I've spotted a possible mistake in your sig. The last line makes absolutely no sense at all. An extra word or two and/or some punctuation would go a long way to rectifying that. :) [/nittpickyness]

Sorry.

Rogue_Ten: I'll read an Asyr fic. She's my second favorite Rogue, after Ooryl.

Well, it won't be totally Asyr, but it will have a large bit of her, if it goes how I think it will. And Ooryl plays a big part. :)

17. boba_aint_no_clone

boba_aint_no_clone Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 3, 2004
    SpeldoriontheBlended

Your welcome. I am always more than happy to see people noticing my manners. But if you are going to say something about me, I don't care. But don't apoligize afterwords. That just belittles me. It's ok, I can take it.

But yes, about the YVH droids, I thought they were a great new addition to the NJO. The best was their generic warnings to civilians, "Remain calm and please seek shelter, there is an active thermal detonator in the area."

Who do you think would win between a YVH droid and IG-88?

18. Pelranius

Apr 25, 2003
    I would personally place my money on the YVH, but the IG88 might yet give us a little surprise.

On a similar topic, would a SD-10 or a Darktrooper win?

19. dhconnelly

dhconnelly Jedi Youngling

Jan 21, 2004
    BANC - apoligize = apologize, and your = you're

I also have a problem with this "Farmboy" crap about Luke. He lived on Tatooine till he was 19. He's now, what, 49 by the end of NJO? He has been through more hell than Kyp or anyone else.

LIST OF CRAP LUKE DEALT WITH:
    1. Losing two mentors/Jedi Masters
    2. Kissing his sister
    3. Losing his hand
    4. Finding out his father is the most hated man in the galaxy
    5. Dealing with a Force-sensitive assassin who wants him dead
    6. Fighting a clone of HIMSELF
    7. Becoming the right-hand man of the Emperor Reborn
    8. Destroying worlds for the Emperor Reborn (World Devastators)
    9. Fighting his sister in a duel
    10. Losing two of his first apprentices to the Dark Side
    11. Getting sent into a coma by an apprentice
    12. Falling in love with the brain of a superweapon
    13. Marrying the aforementioned assassin
    14. Losing his own apprentice to death by the YV
    15. Dealing with a hostile Kyp and a (mostly) whiney Jacen

Give the Jedi Master a break. He is far from naive.

Also, I doubt that Cal Omas is a bad guy. I don't think that they will carry the subtleties you all have found into a new trilogy. I also belive you're reading too far into it. Cal Omas = anti-Palpatine.

Oh, and Bomb France.

20. TIEDefenderPilot

TIEDefenderPilot Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 13, 2003
    Gotta go with the Darktrooper. Yes, I know that they're older, but they just look so much cooler. I hated the SD models, and when i read in NJO that the Sd droids had been discontinued I started thinking, how cool would it be if Pellaeon started up the Darktrooper project, and upgraded the designs? Smarter droid brains, healing phrik armor? I woulda loved to see some Darktroopers going through the Vong like, in the immortal words of General George S. Patton, S@%t through a goose.

21. TIEDefenderPilot

TIEDefenderPilot Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 13, 2003
    Dark Forces is still one of my all time favorite games. I even have the Darktrooper toy.

22. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    We can trust Traest just like we could trust Borsk - trust him to defend freedom to his last breath, because freedom must mean freedom for everyone - even Bothans...

Fey'lya could not be trusted to do anything that was not in his own personal intrest. He would have willingly have given up the freedom of others if those intrests were threatened. Everyone else was a pawn in the grand scheme of things for him, and, as far as he was concerned, pawns are expendable. If he had been promised he'd become the king of Bothuwai by giving up a hundred Bothans who did not agree with them, he'd gladly give them up. And if they were not Bothans he'd give them up even quicker.

23. JoruusCbaoth

Apr 14, 2003
    Agreed.

Remember how quickly he was willing to abandon Rogue Squadron at the Katana fleet?

24. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    Not to mention how he so quickly agreed to believe the Vong were going to advance no further than they already had when Conquest began despite the fact that the Vong had never shown a willingness to stop their advances. Or his refusal to believe the Vong were a threat early in the war when it might have been possible to better deal with them and maybe even halt their advancement.

25. Pelranius

Apr 25, 2003
    I'm surprised he didn't start a war with the Remnant or go into the UR to boost his poll ratings. Or cut off funding to the Jedi entirely.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.