main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

YVH droids vs. Dark Troopers?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by IAmTheDarkSide, Jan 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IAmTheDarkSide

IAmTheDarkSide Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 9, 2002
    Who would win in this battle of the mega-killer droids? Lando's droids or the cream of my own army? :mad:

2. Black_Hole

Black_Hole Jedi Master star 4

Dec 27, 2001
    I think YVH droids are meant for vong and not anything else. I dont know, maybe put them in the ring like battlebots!

3. Gotterdammerung

Gotterdammerung Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 7, 2002
    Well, you can look at it two ways. One, the programming: YVH droids are meant specially to kill Vong, and we haven't seen them used on humans or any other species of the GFFA. Dark Troopers are meant to be killing machines against everything, so they are less specialized, but have more brute force, and more offensive power. Lando says the YVH droids can have something like 'mini-rocket launchers' installed, while our buddies the Dark Troopers have massive plasmacannons and large anti-personnel rocket launchers themselves. A phase 1 might even be able to rip a YVH a new one, if it survived long enough to get in close. Pitting a phase 3 against a YVH (Mohc) would be just plain cruel. Sure, the YVH's are tough, and have nice options, but what droid can withstand those killer seeker rockets on the shoulders of the phase 3? Plus the added plasmacannon fire gives the Dark Trooper the edge.

(I'd just like to add that this is most likely biased in the DT's favor, as Dark Forces was the best FPS ever. Yes, better than Counter-strike)

4. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    SD-9, and 10s used stolen Dark Trooper programming according to the EG to droids, because it was a superior weapons programming.

Balmorra allied with the rebs, and it's possible that they passed on this adaptable DT programming to other wardroids.

5. KansasNavy

KansasNavy Jedi Master star 4

Mar 10, 2001
    SD-9s and -10s would tear apart a Dark Trooper. And don't get me started with the X-1 Viper Automaton. I think the YVH would win simply because it's 27 or so ahead of the Dark Trooper program. A variable powered laser works on anything, Vong or otherwise. Plus, it's other hand can be armed with a variety of weapons, including depleted metal pellet repeater, magnetic gauss rifle, and mini-rockets. Since it's armor can regenerate, and it's sensors appear to be much more advanced than a Dark Trooper (I bet it could detect a Dark Trooper), YVHs win.

Darktroopers may have been superior for their time, but they can't compete with Balmorra's wardroids or Lando's.

6. darthparth

darthparth Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 10, 2001
    Dark Forces was the best FPS ever. Yes, better than Counter-strike

Ha! Doubtful

7. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    "SD-9s and -10s would tear apart a Dark Trooper. And don't get me started with the X-1 Viper Automaton."

Actually the EG to droids comments that the dark troopers are more powerful than the SD lines, because of the rare Phrik Armor, Jet packs(faster mobility, and flight), and prototype plasma weapons/rocket launchers, also relatively cheap to produce compared to the SD-lines as well, allowing for production in the vast numbers.

Darktroopers have scanning equipment that can detect Jedi also.

8. KansasNavy

Mar 10, 2001
    Not true. As a matter of fact it says otherwise in the first paragraph of the SD page of the Essential Droids.

"It took the futuristic factories of Balmorra and the malignant intellect of Umak Leth to produce the SD series, the deadliest foot soldiers in history."

Since the SD-4s and SD-5s used the programming data of the DT project. And since the SD-9s and SD-10s are the pinnacle of the SD series, one draws the conclusion that they're superior, since they're much more modern. Especially the SD10, which has advanced shields, experimental "healing" armor, extended fire repeating blaster cannon, plasma burst cannon, missile launcher, fast-reaction servos, improved sensor package, and a large databanks of tactics and counter-tactics.

Plus, the SD6 through SD10 were used by the NR in limited amounts. The Imperials used the SD4, SD5, and also the SD9. The SD10 was supposed to be used by Imperials, but Balmorra used them against the SD9s and tore them apart, and then had most of the SD10s shredded by Shadow Droids, and then finally the Shadow Droids were blown apart by the ultimate X-1 Viper.

The X-1 is a beast...

Imagine a ground battle during the NJO using X-1s, SD-10s, and YVHs.

9. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Key word "Footsoldiers", dark troopers are not mere footsoldiers they are "Rocketeers".

Air combat automatons.

10. Gotterdammerung

Jan 7, 2002
    (darthpath, admit it. C-Strike is can't even compare with Dark Forces. And I'm talking original, not Jedi Knight)

Dark Troopers have the mobility advantage, as the phase 2 and 3 have jetpacks, and the phase 1 was frighteningly fast itself, even though it was only on foot. In theory, and Dark Trooper could fly circles around both the SD-10's and the YVH's and launch rockets into their backs before the other droids had time to cause too much damage to the Dark Troopers. On a more useless, but equally amusing note, Dark Troopers are bigger than YVH's, and even though size between droids isn't an issue, to biologicals it makes for impressive psychological warfare.

11. KansasNavy

Mar 10, 2001
    I disagree. SD-5s used the old programming from DTs. The SD-10 is 5 generations down the line, and years more than a DT. Darktroopers may fly, but they aren't fast enough to destroy an SD-10. SD-10s are muy inteligente compared to the DT. DTs don't have shielding like SD-10s, nor fast-reaction servos to be able to out maneuver a SD-10s weaponry. The SD's weaponry would be able to take down a DT, anyways. And since DTs have legs, they are robotic infantry with the ability to fly.

Don't get me wrong, I'd pay to see them fight each other, but an SD-10 is beyond the DT.

12. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    They are rocketeers.

There was dark troopers built all the way up to battle of kasshyyk(GBG). (Human/droid/force sensitive versions)

Who knows how many were made after that, and how many more upgrades they went through. Still alot cheaper than the SDs.

13. Gotterdammerung

Jan 7, 2002
    Cheaper, and most likely easier to mass produce, and still have impressive abilities. As for defense, the shield on the phase 1 was enough to deflect blaster bolts, and the phase 2 and 3 had entire body shells made from the material of the 1's shield. Of course, in the game it didn't have quite those properties, to make them beatable, 'cause who wants an FPS where the enemies can't die?

14. KansasNavy

Mar 10, 2001
    I'm obviously not going to change your guys' minds, am I? No matter how much info I find that says otherwise, you wouldn't believe me.

Oh well...

15. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    KansasNavy you just haven't covered all the sources. Like the newer sources in GBG, and the coexisting info from the Star Wars Rebellion Encyclapedia..

As for kyle katarn, He did accomplish all that the game said he did. According to the EG to droids, he's just modest when people ask about it.(Even still he only setback the DT project, some other people opened up a new series.)

Also he talks about his exploits a bit in the DF stratguide. Kyle was just very good. Anyone else would have been slaughtered(well except for probably luke).

The question is the fact is that the newer released DTs based on the phase-3 models seen in GBG, are a newer model of the cybornetic battle armor(so far coming in two phases), with force users in it. Doesn't use of the force effect the ability any comparencies?

As well you can have alot more DTs for every SD droid made. That will effect the outcome in warfield as well. The leader who buys DTs will have alot more on the field than the commander who can only afford a few SDs. And each of those DTs have a force-capable warrior inside controlling them.

Then add in the fact that later upgrades could have made that model to keep it up to date. We don't even know how far and how many new series DTs were made.

16. KansasNavy

Mar 10, 2001
    But that's all speculation. I know a SD costs muy dinero, but it is still better than a Phase II and III. Also, the DTs in Battlegrounds I just assumed were DTs built before Arc Hammer blew up. And they walk, not fly in the game.

And since Phrik is so hard to produce, it would make it just as expensive as an SD10. And if the Empire had DTs available, why did they buy SD-9s and attempt to buy SD-10s and X-1s?

BTW, this is becoming an interesting debate, despite being halfway off topic.

17. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    Here's something to throw into the mix. What if Lando managed to somehow get his hands onto all data concerning the DTs and used it as a starting point for his YVH series wardroids. Valiento already pointed out that at least some of the technology was pirated for use in later wardroid designs. It seems unlikely that the data was totally lost at any point. Palpatine may have had copies stored in Mount Tantis, or somewhere else. Knowing what the Vong are doing to the galaxy, he may have begun a search for the plans, if he didn't already have them in his hands. He had at one point been in a position to learn about DTs from Kyle himself, so this would allow him to know just how effective DTs were. And the DT data would help him and his design team create an equally, if not more, effective wardroid for use against the Vong.

Also, just how fast and Manuverable are YVHs? From SbS we know their equipped with repulsorlifts at the very least. So we'd be pitting a droid using a rocket/jet pack against a droid that at the very least has repulsorlifts built into it. Plus, I believe Lando claimed that the YVH was designed to have additional equipment/weapons added for any given mission. If all it has are repulsorlifts for arieal movement, rocket/jet packs may be added for specific missions. This could make them just as manueverable as DTs.

18. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    I don't think the later models use phrik actually just some kind of common ore, used in all vehicles.

Also they are built in factories on the planets in the story, actually.

I've talked to dan wallace about this, and they are called cyborgs(denoting human inside), and force senstive in the strat guide and manual. They look like phase 3's with minor differences. Yes it's true that they don't hav jetpacks(of course that could be added back in).

The thing is they are just only slighly more expensive than a stormtrooper, but many times as powerful.

So at that cost, figure in upgrades, the fact that they are said to be good at jedi exterminitation(like the bounty hunters according to the manual). Then that raises there ability.

By the way, the game also has nova chystals to buy things, and bank with. Nova was originally mentioned in Han Solo Adventures, and the Han Solo Sourcebook. It apparently is the stuff that backs credits monetarily.(like gold or silver backing earth money.)

If one SD-9 droid is only worth 100 infantry-man.

We know that each DTs are stronger than many infantry man. That Each DT is only costs a marginal amount over a Infantryman. Than the guy buying the DT could swamp a SD-9. Or the marginally superior SD-10, because of the cost difference.

Also someone told me that the Rebel Era sourcebook hints that the someone could have restarted the DT project after Mohc's death(anyone have the exact quote?).

Mohc's prototype models by the way were very expensive compared to the newer models, most likely no doubt by there use of the rare and expensive phrik alloy.

19. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    I feel it's likely that the YVH, may have something from the DT line making up it's technology.

20. KansasNavy

Mar 10, 2001
    So if it was as cheap as you said, why did the Empire use SD-9s to attack Balmorra?

Also, it says that Palpatine refused to support the DT program after the loss of Arc Hammer, so there's no way they'd be mass-produced under the Emperor's nose. Where are you getting all the information on the DTs?

21. Gotterdammerung

Jan 7, 2002
    The Empire used SD-9's because the DT factories had been destroyed, and any secret ones were unknown to the Executor (forgot his name, Sedriss I think)

22. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Information comes from GBG(game, manual, and strat guide), and a bit of info from the Rebellion ingame Encyclapedia, and I've talked to dan wallace about it, and he was quite intrigued, and interested about the info.

As well it is warlord factions, in the wookie, and rebel campaigns that have control of these later DT factories, seen in GBG. The main empire in DE didn't seem to have any of them.

Empire did have controle of many of these factories in the missions that take place post DF in the empire campaign.

I was also told that Rebel Era sourcebook says that it was possible that someone else could have taken up mohc's project after his death.(I would like confirmation on that if someone has it?)

23. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    You are correct sir.

24. PrinceXizor

PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 4, 2001
    From RESB :

"In the expanded Star Wars universe, there were a relatively large army of Phase One and Phase Two dark troopers produced aboard Arc Hammer. Only one Phase Three trooper was created, however. The dark trooper project came to an expensive end when Rebel agent Kyle Katarn destroyed Arc Hammer.

In your campaign, you can determine how far along the dark trooper project is when your heroes learn of its existence. You can have them get involved prior to Katarn's mission, or they can take Katarn's place in the infiltration of Arc Hammer. If you want to maintain the official history, have another Imperial officer or moff restart the project."

Quite ambiguous, although from that I'd say 'officially' the project totally ended with the destruction of Arc Hammer.

25. KansasNavy

Mar 10, 2001
    SD-10s are superior. I still haven't seen anything that says they're not. I dont care how expensive they are. Also, the stats for a Darktrooper aren't "true" to continuity since they are built for gameplay purposes, and not to be 'realistic'.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.