DFW, TX Z-95 HeadHunter

Discussion in 'MidSouth Regional Discussion' started by old-master, Mar 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. old-master Jedi Knight

star 1
    I was just on the SW:databank and I found a rather lengthly entry on the forerunner to the X-Wing. I was under the believe that the Z-95 headhunter would be in the PT. EpI cured that thought! Now,with this entry, I am beginning to wonder if it will appear in epIII. Now, I am prepared to be mocked for this one. But I just had to know.
    hmmm, Ani flighting a Z-95?
    old-master has spoken...
  2. THX_Jedi FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    I seriously doubt it. McCallum already put a lid on everyone's hope of seeing any original / EU ships or characters in the next 2 movies. He stated this as an answer to a "Jedi Council" question on SW.com.

I'm really not concerned. If the "thing" from Episode 4 is going to be mentioned in Episode 2, as the rumors confirm, I'm going to be satisfied. ;)

:cool:
  3. Kurgan1 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Yup, Z-95s are a total EU creation, and I, for one, am all for staying as far away from the EU as possible.
  4. scudknight Jedi Knight

star 3
    Well, if I'm not mistaken, double-bladed Lightsabers were originally EU until Lucas pulled it. It's what saved the TPM fight scenes.

I say just finally connect eu and cannon. please the fans. I wanna see Mara Jade on film. Lucas's kids should stop writing the script and leave to say Zahn or something.
  5. Kurgan1 Jedi Knight

star 3
    No way dude! Zahn's stuff is slow and boring and I could talk for hours about how many aspects of SW that he doesn't understand.

The EU is an inconsistent mess, at best. And I think Lucas is doing the right thing by staying away from it, aside from a few minute aspects (double-bladed lightsabers, the name Coruscant, holocrons).

The thing with the EU is that the writers forgot about one of the key points of SW, which is it is fantasy, not sci-fi. And it's also got a sweeping, interconnecting storyline, not like in the books where it's the warlord of the week that is never a true threat.

And the NJO is just as bad in its own way, considering it is pure sci-fi. There are no character revelations, no surprises, just trudging on through a story.

That is why I will always prefer the movies, because they are told correctly.
  6. old-master Jedi Knight

star 1
    I did not realize that Z-95, was EU?! I original heard about the vessel in the X-Wing game. Is the X-Wing game canon? What a great game! Anyway,the databank just contains a vast amount of data for a simple fighter. Is this a hint or just a very overworked LFL employee?
    old-master has spoken...
  7. Kurgan1 Jedi Knight

star 3
    As far as I know, it was a creation of the original role playing game. At the time, Lucasfilm didn't really care what they did. They also invented the victory class star destroyers.

The reason why all of these things show up in the x-wing games and EU books is because the role playing books were about the only technical kind of source out there, even though some of it is blatantly wrong. (such as the size of a super star destroyer).

More proof that Lucasfilm should have had a much tighter reign on any and all EU stuff from the beginning, but there's not much that can be done now except for some damage control (which they've been doing for a while now). Turning the entire line to SW: Infinities will help, too.

The only things that are canon are the films. It's the only thing Lucasfilm acknowledges and the only ones that should be counted, in my opinion.
  8. THX_Jedi FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 4
  9. Darth_Chocolate Jedi Master

star 3
    Would someone please remind me to never get into a StarWars trivia game AGAINST Brandon?? Now, as a partner, that's a different story.

I'm truely impressed, dude!
  10. Kurgan1 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Who's house? Run's house!!! I said who's house? Run's house!!! Martin....

;)
  11. old-master Jedi Knight

star 1
    It is very kewl, how the PT have not falling in the "geek trap." No Mandorian armies, no Victory class ships, or cloned Darth Mauls. The Clone gunship and the Republic warship are very good moves, and keeping Slave One. Who would have imaged Jango five years ago! But the Z-95 headhunter I thought would have fit into the PT nicely. A visual clue to the future X-Wing.
    I still find it rather odd, that Lucas focused attention on Boba, even though I love Boba, he is a rather small character. Maybe Lucas just wanted to end the many stories about his life.
    The EU does not belong into the movies, after all, most EU is crap. Real crap.
    And No to future SW movies! 1-6, as God wanted it.
    old-master has spoken...
  12. Nabooty_Call Former RSA / Obi-Wan Impersonator

star 5
    I don't know...the mental gymnastics that various individuals go through to try to fit all the disparate elements of the EU into one coherent "timeline" are very amusing to watch.

EU is dead! Long live the EU! ;)

13. Mithrandir Jedi Knight

star 1
    Man, keep the EU as far away from cannon SW as possible. The EU has done nothing but hurt SW, in my opinion.
  14. Sirikus_Willowbend Jedi Padawan

hmm never one to challenge brandon's knowledge of star wars trivia =)
    but...

actually the z-95 appeared far earlier than the rpg, it first appeared in han solo at star's end, which I think was written in '79 it is described a little differently than the pictures in the RPG but in all other respects (age, weapon systems, the fact it was originally an atmospheric fighter) the RPG follows the novel

Jon
  15. Kurgan1 Jedi Knight

star 3
    *smacks forehead* That's right, I completely forgot about that.
  16. Darth_Chocolate Jedi Master

star 3
    Guess I have to take back what I said now.... Perhaps Brandon is not as powerful as the Emperor has foreseen.

All hail Jon!!

(fickle, ain't I?!)
  17. scudknight Jedi Knight

star 3
    so is the holiday special canon or eu?

and since the double saber was originally in a comic, does that make the comic cannon since it was in the movies? sam question if the z-95 appears... that was a great predecessor to the xwing.
  18. THX_Jedi FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    If you count the Holiday Special as cannon then you have to count Yoda Stories and Star Wars Battlegrounds games. Why not? It's Star Wars. These EU freaks will rack their brains to piece every little thing together. What a complete waste of time. :D

19. scudknight Jedi Knight

star 3
    well i gotta hand it to trekkies, they will spend eons of time piecing together its warped storyline between movies books and tv, whereas SW fans feign ignorance to the entire idea of the storyline outside of its core.

I think it best just to "believe" what you want about the SW universe. Lucas knew well that if he handed the story to another writer, be it through third party or not, it would bear the star wars logo upon it. To simply pull the rug from under that writer and change the rules is uncool. and dont tell me that the SW universe is free of loose ends. we just want to believe that as fans and are willing to say anything to that effect in its defense. moreover in the past, discussing eu to a "true" SW fan has been like asking a "true" christian about their religion, and I'm no big fan of religion.

So the lesser experienced SW fan asks a Comic store junkie about EU, and the eu replies with "Na dude, that just eu. eu aint real. it aint the heart of star wars. there are just some things about it i dont like, and if theres something i dont like about star wars, my universe just aint right." come on, lets take out jar jar and throw thrawn or mara in there. deep down i think thats what a lot of people want to see. i want to see z-95's and dreadnaughts. i want to see luke fight the lava dragon (well maybe not).
    but i mean what an excuse. "for the life of me i cannot make this storyline fit together because it has become so vast, so therefore it must not exist, and we'll just deal with a small piece." face it folks, lucas and his tubby decaying form will one day cease to be, and then where will we be? what of our universe? its already been handed down. it would have already been in our face and only then would we really try to piece together the fragmented SW univerce. Moral of the Story, Don't knock EU, Geogre could die tomorrow. :)
  20. THX_Jedi FanForce Chapter Rep

Chapter Rep
    star 4
    <---Begun, this EU war has.

21. Kurgan1 Jedi Knight

star 3
    My point is that I am an EU freak. I have read every single book and comic that has ever come out with the SW name on it.

And with one notable exception (Dark Empire), ALL of them, I feel, are substandard efforts that do not capture the feel of the SW movies. Does that make me pathetic for continuing to read them? Probably. ;)

And even when they initially started with the EU resurgence back in the early 90s, there were disclaimers that said it was the author's vision that you were reading, not necessarily what Lucas intended as the story.

And Lucasfilm is switching the ENTIRE EU over to the SW: Infinities line. Basically, they are saying, "Hey, enjoy the books and comics, but just remember that nothing besides the movies is canon. These are just 'what if' stories."

And I personally agree with Lucasfilm's stance on it. I don't think the movies and the EU mesh very well. And taking an occasional name or piece of technology is, in the end, insignificant. Only the most hard-core EU nuts would even recognize them in the films.

And yes, George won't live forever, but unless someone else gets the rights to the films after he passes, and does not respect his wishes--that big definitive DVD box set of the six movies is going to be the last 'official' SW release.

And I would rather see that happen, rather than see more movies based on EU stuff that ends up tearing down the franchise. And yes, that's exactly what I believe it would do.
  22. Darth_Chocolate Jedi Master

star 3
    I may not have the vast knowledge Brandon, Jon and some of you guys do on EU, but I do agree that should LFL allow someone else to begin writing/filming canon movies and books instead of George, it would end up bringing the whole thing down. Just look at Trek. They have now gone into so many different directions and most of them were mediocre at best. I really enjoyed TNG as a teen, when it was new, but even then I thought that the franchise had begun to stray from the original too much. After Berman took charge and Roddenberry passed on, it only went down from there. Deep Soap Nine had some good episodes, but it was by far a watchable show on a regular basis. I personally like "Enterprise" better than "Voyager", but I can't sit thru more than 2 episodes per season of either one.

Anyway, just my opinions.
  23. Mithrandir Jedi Knight

star 1
    SW:EU and TREK have one thing in common: they are both ScienceFiction -- hard core science fiction. Trekkies and uber-fans of the EU behave the same way (heck, I'm a hardcore trekkie myself) they love to sit and disect the franchise universe and try to make it all make sense.

However, pure SW (the films) is not wholy sci/fi. Heck, most of us here have argued that it's not.

SW at it's core is an epic opera, a tragedy of Shakespearean proportions that chronicles ONE families destiny of temptation, failure, hatred, hope, love, and redemption. It begins and ends with one person - Anakin Skywalker - and the journey his children take to redeem him. It's a modern day mythology; it's roots grow from deep within that genre of story telling not science fiction. It is a wonderful moral tale of good verses evil. It is the story that ONE man has chosen to tell and defined it's parameters.

And, sorry to say, the EU is NONE OF THE ABOVE. It is (wannabe) hard-core SciFi masquarading as George Lucas' Star Wars. It is a PURE marketing ploy to get us to spend more money on the SW real world machine. And we eat it up because we want more and more. And they give us more quantity but very little quality. Look how subpar ALL the EU stories are; they're marketing vomit. That's right. The publishers belch/puke those stories out every month - and like dogs returning to our own vomit we eat it up not caring that it looks and tastes like crap. Throw a Star Wars logo on some authors scifi dribble, and the pups will clean their pates. We fall for it every time.

We want our SW. We can't get enough.

Yet, true SW fans must learn the difference...must feel the force in the rock, the trees, not this crude EU matter!
  24. Kurgan1 Jedi Knight

star 3
    That's a little more disgusting than what I was going for Eric, but that's basically what I was saying. :)
  25. Nabooty_Call Former RSA / Obi-Wan Impersonator

star 5
    For a really mind-bending (and in many posts, hilarious/ridiculous) look at the EU debate, check out this thread :eek:

Much of this "problem" stems from people taking their fantasy (i.e. imaginative/mythic story) worlds too literally and linearly, and from the fact that the SW story itself has been told in a non-linear fashion, with certain key background/history elements only now coming to light...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.