main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

DFW, TX Z-95 HeadHunter

Discussion in 'MidSouth Regional Discussion' started by old-master, Mar 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scudknight

scudknight Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 2, 2000
    Cool I'll have to check out the eu thread.

Right after I burn all my literature for not comparing to the immense epic symbolism of the holy movie quartet. In fact, Lucas's ideas are so darn good I think they should be taught in school. Forget Beowulf, we should study Jar-Jar and the ewoks. And we should burn all those who indulge in eu like we did with those who studied witcraft. Did you mention the old comic books and newspaper clippings! Oh no!

Modern Mythology, maybe. But comparing it to Shakespeare? We need to be sticking to organizing lineups rather than critiquing. I can't believe that if Zahn we're given permission to do a "Tales from the Holocron" tv show that we wouldnt follow it as canon. Ah well, I guess some people will go on to love eu, some will hate it, some will be indifferent. Kudos to indifference.

Think I'm just going to print up this thread and wipe my (insert exploitive) with it.

2. RB-wan

RB-wan Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 18, 2000
    Oh, ye all of little faith! <g>

I'm a blasphemer, I guess, in that I do enjoy a lot of the EU on its own. Funny, this same kind of debate has been raging in fandom for MANY years. A lot of old-school fanfic writers ( that is, fans who latched onto the OT, most notably Ep 4, and developed their own characterizations and storylines in PRINT format ) are the same way, really...and they regularly bash Lucas for nearly ALL his decisions regarding his own story. And they tend to stay away from EU in droves, but yet they'll use Mara Jade, ysalamiri, et al, for their own purposes...and tend to come up with crappy fanfic as a result of incorporating EU into stories that already take liberties with the GFFA.

Another side of the debate picks and chooses which parts of the movie saga work for them, and then warp the story all out of whack. Obi-wan and Mon Mothma as lovers? Luke as a sleeper agent? Vader and the Emperor, or Luke and Han, as homoerotic couples? No Death Star II? It's basically calling it "Not in MY galaxy!"

There are quite a few things about EU that don't especially ring true for me, things that don't make sense or that should never have happened or that contradict the movies or the intent of Lucas' original saga to the point that it becomes a real distraction to my enjoyment of Star Wars. ( I guess in that respect I'm with Zahn's appraisal of the EU as evidenced in the HoT duology...dude was reading my mind! )

Furthermore on EU materials: if liberties aren't taken with established characters and situations from the movies, I'm cool with that...even if some Infinities stories are enjoyable on their own. Spoofs and well-thought-out speculations are all right, but some of the stuff is....ugh. I can and do appreciate stories set in the GFFA using peripheral or minor characters, or totally original characters, worlds, et cetera, that follow the rules and the concept and events of said galaxy.

But yeah...a lot of EU,in the scheme of things, is mindless crap that clutters things up and creates the bureaucracies that brought down the Republic. Please, let it all end with the definitive DVD box set, renew and modify the copyrights to infinity...please world don't make a mess of a beautiful thing! Let fanfic continue, but the saga will have paid for itself many many times over when the movies draw to a close. Let officialdom and continued licensed speculation end with the screen saga.

Bri

3. Admiral_Drake

Admiral_Drake Jedi Youngling

Mar 29, 2002
    wow i'm so happey i have finnly meet hardcore fans this is going to be fun

ok i like eu esspecily the books like DFR or the han solo trilgy and TFJP (tales from jabbas palace and any other book i can get my hands on

yes they some tims contrdict each other but look at THE TRUCE AT BAKURA
    a very good book that goes along with the movie

plus i have Galatic battle grounds the game so i have a lot of info on tech stuff
    i think there should be a moderation between EU and the SW flicks

sorry just had to put in my two cents

4. Kurgan1

Kurgan1 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 19, 2000
    Well, I personally thought Truce at Bakura was one of the worst EU books in the series, but that's just me.

BTW, I'm not knocking anyone that likes EU. I like EU. I wouldn't read them all if I didn't. And although I find some of them very entertaining, I still don't think that even the best of them holds a candle to the movies. I understand that some people feel differently, and that's cool. Your names will simply not be on the protected lists when the time comes. ;)

5. Admiral_Drake

Admiral_Drake Jedi Youngling

Mar 29, 2002
    i agree with krurgan
    i like eu alot but still they relly don't compare to the movies

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.