main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Z-95 headhunters

Discussion in 'Literature' started by _therebelforces_, Aug 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. _therebelforces_

_therebelforces_ Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 1, 2004
    How long have Z-95 headhunters been around I think I read some where that they pre-date the clone wars if so how long had they been around back then?

2. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    If you've read the TPM novelization, then you indeed read they predate the Clone Wars. Anakin meets an old spacer in there, prior to Qui-Gon and them coming to Tatooine, who mentions he flew Headhunters for the Republic at one time in his career.

3. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    yay! someone posed this question! this means i can use them for my fan fict!

4. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    Created by maverick engineer Seti Ashgad, as said by Planet of Twilight. As of that time, around 9yrs fater Endor, they're were said to have been around 50yrs ago.

Both Headhunters and Cloakshapes are modification-friendly and thus are popular with spacers.

EGVV will tell all the Headhunter types, but they originally didn't have hyperdrive, and are the older brother of the X-wing.

5. Brett_Bass

Brett_Bass Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 22, 2003
    I seem to recall the N-1 starfighter being referred to as 'similar in performance to the Republic's Z-95 Headhunters' or somesuch thing in the TPM novelization.

6. Tam_Elgrin

Tam_Elgrin Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2004
    Sounds about right, although I'd be tempted to say the N-1 is slightly better, seeing as it has an astro droid for navigation and in flight repairs. Actually (from my experiences with them in video games), I'd be tempted to declare the Z95 more akin to the Naboo police cruisers from Battle for Naboo: both are speedy, manouverable, fair amount of firepower, but when put against their bigger brothers, they just don't cut the mustard.

7. DarthJohnkenobi

DarthJohnkenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 13, 2004
    The Z-95 first appeared back in the original Han Solo trilogy, the book Han Solo at Star's End, I do believe.

8. dizfactor

dizfactor Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 12, 2002
    The Z-95 first appeared back in the original Han Solo trilogy, the book Han Solo at Star's End, I do believe.

in terms of real-world chronology, yes, that's true, but they were presented in that story as being old.

EDIT: As of that time, around 9yrs fater Endor, they're were said to have been around 50yrs ago.

so that would be, what, 37 BBY? five years before the Battle of Naboo, or thereabouts, or, more to the point in terms of military development, a few years after the Stark Hyperspace War?

they seem to be referred to pretty consistently, from what i'm gathering here, as being associated with the Republic specifically, and not any one lesser faction or planetary navy. and they are the predecessors the X-Wing, which was developed by Incom for Imperial use, yes?

perhaps they were being developed by the Republic faction that was pushing for a centralized standing military, which first started rearing its head around the time of the Stark Hyperspace War and the "Republic Navy" of Ranulph Tarkin, as the standard space superiority fighter of such a Navy.

------------------------

here's another question: how old are the Y-wings?

9. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    Incom intended to sell the X-wing to the Empire, yes. But the designers of the X-wing defected and took the blueprints, and other X-wing material to the Rebellion. They were the same folks who later became FreiTek and designed the E-wing.

10. Tam_Elgrin

Tam_Elgrin Jedi Master star 4

May 1, 2004
    >>"here's another question: how old are the Y-wings?"<<

I'd say late Clone Wars/Early Empire at the least. I don't know any official dating however.

11. rogue_wookiee

rogue_wookiee Jedi Youngling star 6

Apr 24, 2004
    how old are the Y-wings?

They were first used in 1977 ;)

12. Jort

Jort Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 2, 2004
    Callista and Geith traveled in a Y-Wing so it was already in use around 18 BBY.

13. b-wingmasterburnz

b-wingmasterburnz Jedi Master star 3

May 27, 2004
    Were R-41 Starchasers modified from the Z-95 design?

14. SpeldoriontheBlended

SpeldoriontheBlended Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 12, 2002
    Z-95's are old, yes, but what they also are, as mentioned in that Boba Fett novel with the cool ex-Rogue, the annoying Twi-lek and the translucensteel, adaptable. There are models with passenger seats. There are models with hyperdrives. There are models with concussion missiles. There are models with ion cannons. There is at least one model with the Azzameen family crest tacked on somewhere. :D

I like the ol' Headhunter. Not quite as much as the X-wing, but it still kicks TIE butt anyday. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.