main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Zaarin's Question Corner

Discussion in 'Literature' started by AdmiralZaarin, Oct 27, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AdmiralZaarin

AdmiralZaarin Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 8, 2001
    I've been making so many threads about assorted questions I decided to make one thread for all my questions.
    Anyway, LET THE PONDERING BEGIN!

I read somewhere High Admiral Teradoc's fleet was crimson coloured. Does this mean Teradoc had his SDs painted red? That'd would look extremelly odd and cool at the same time :)

Also, I wanna read COJ. Can I read it, having read TTT, JAT, RS, WG and SOA?

Last question:
    Why does Ooryl Qyrgg alternate between calling himself Gand, Ooryl and Qrgg?

2. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    1. Yes.

2. Yes.

3. Complicated. The books explain it a few times. You may find an answer in the Unofficial SW Encyclopedia, linked here to TFN. Look under "Ooryl Qyrgg" or "Gand".

3. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Booster Terrik must have been so jealous of Teradoc. :)

And the correct spelling of Ooryl's last name is Qrygg.

4. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    I never memorized it. Did I spell it the way Stackpole originally had it, in Rogue Squadron? :)

5. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    Qrygg is the spelling used most throughout the series. In Rogue Squadron, Qyrgg was used about 3 or 4 different times (when Ooryl is explaining his culture to Corran and Lujayne), but he is Qrygg for the rest of X-wings 1-4. He stayed Qrygg until X-wing 6 or 7, when Allston referred to him as Qyrgg constantly. In X-wing 8, he is also referred to as Qyrgg. However, in I, Jedi, he is back to Qrygg.

Given that Qrygg is the spelling most often used, it must be the correct one.

6. Nichos_Marr

Nichos_Marr Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 26, 2001
    Okay, I got a question. In which EU books does Teradoc appear? I think I've read a few of them, but I can't seem to remember for the life of me.

7. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    He's mentioned in quite a few, but only appears in Darksaber I believe.

8. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
  9. PrinceXizor

PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 4, 2001
    In fact, it's pronounced Q[sputtering]gg, so people never now how to write it. The closest are Qyrgg and Qrygg, so both are correct. That's why authors use both.

And that is not serious, 'canon' as some would say, but it could be, no ? No ?

10. RingoJuna

RingoJuna Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 18, 2001
    I pronounce it 'AAARRRGGGHHHH!' with a 'Q' at the beginning :)

11. Nichos_Marr

Nichos_Marr Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 26, 2001
    Ah, thanks Sturm.

12. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    Xizor good one, lol.

13. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    Qrygg is the absolute correct spelling. Qyrgg is just plain wrong.

14. darthjarjarbinks

darthjarjarbinks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 3, 2000
    In answer to Zaarin's earlier question about why Ooryl calls himself different things...

gands see it as the height of arrogance to refer to one's self as 'I'- according to their culture, it makes the assumption that every gand everywhere will know who you are referring to.

Therefore, a Gand refers to him/herself by this/her...

a) First name if they are happy/feel good about themselves
    b) Second name if they are a bit embarrased or submissive
    c) 'Gand' if they've done something really really bad or embarrasing.

Each level takes away a peice of the Gand's identity, as he/she feels he/she doesn't deserve that identity, or perhaps wants to shrink into anonymity.

However, if a Gand becomes a 'findsman', he is bestowed with the honour of referring to himself in the first person -"I"-, as was the case with Ooryl in the end.

15. AdmiralZaarin

Jul 8, 2001
    Another question: Swoops and speeder bikes...are they different?
    Yet another question: What is the name of Warlord Teradoc's command ship?

16. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    Yes, swoops and speeder bikes are different. While both are the basic equivelent of a motorcycle, it is more the type you'd look at. I'd say that, despite there no doubt being sporting speeder bikes, a swoop should be viewed as a sports bike while a speeder bike is more like a road or highway bike.

17. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    Swoops and speeder bikes are quite different. Speeder bikes have straight steering vanes, while swoops have curved ones.

18. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    Swoops are like drag racers. Speeder bikes are like stock cars.

19. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    Like my motorcycle analogy better.

20. AdmiralZaarin

Jul 8, 2001
    I pronounce Ooryl's full name as
    Oo-rll K-whirr-g

21. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    HOw can it be Kwirg when the R is in front of the Y? The correct pronunciation is Krig.

22. Draco_Starcloud

Draco_Starcloud Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 25, 2001
    Actually, it says in Darksaber that Teradoc built his Vics out of some stuff that gave them the red colors. They weren't painted, they were built red.

And I have a question: What sound does a giraffe make?

23. Samuel

Samuel Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2001
    Hiya Admiral Zaarin, your one of my favorite characters from the PC games ;) heh about your question. I just happened to read this last night and just seen your quesiton.

I guess maybe its unrelated but in Star Wars Adventure Journal # 10, on pages 231 and 232 it has an article from the "Imperial Defense Daily" that 100 Victory Class Star Destoryers, ungoing upgrades and refiting at a Kuat Drive Yards ship yard have been fitted out with what they call "havod metal alloy" which is redish in color. The reason for these 100 VSDs being outfited with "havod" primary hull plates is that all through out the Empire there is a critial stortage of "doomium metal alloy" (all reserves of the doomium is being used for ISD production). The havod, well in a certain point of view sounds to be stronger than the doomium but because doomium is the white/grey color and its been used for 10 centurys no one will use the havod except in special cases.

It is an interesting little article to be sure. And it fits in well with "Darksaber". Oh another little note about those VSDs, it says that they have been in the shipyards for over 2 years and they are useing the havod in order to get the shipyards clear for new projects. It doesn`t say how long it took to put the hull plates in place, but maybe these are the same ones in use by Teradoc.

Hope that helps !

Samuel

24. AdmiralZaarin

Jul 8, 2001
    Next questions: Are lasers and blasters different?
    Does Palpy's DE clone still look twisted, or like a proper person?
    Is DE worth listening to? (The only form of DE I can actually find is the audio book...but hey, no reading involved :D)
    Are the non-canonical (canon adjective?) racers in Episode I Racer (the game) featured anywhere else? The racers in question are Toy Dampner, Slide Paramita, 'Bullseye' Navoir, Cy Yunga, Fud Sang, Jinn Reeso and Bozzie Baranta.
    Are all Vratix terrorists on Thyferra who work against the bacta cartels?

25. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    DE audio, is better than the comic, IMHO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.