main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Zabrak

Discussion in 'Literature' started by -RebelScum-, Apr 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darth_paul

darth_paul Jedi Master star 5

Apr 24, 2000
    I am a human, born in West Virginia, living in Massachusetts. Many people would call me a West Virginian; many others, a Massachusettsian. I conceive of myself as both, though am more likely to self-identify as Massachusettsian. And I remain a human throughout. Amazing how little conflict there is.

-Paul

2. QuentinGeorge

QuentinGeorge Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 12, 2003
    Koth and Agen Kolar are a different race.

Sorry, there's nothing to say that. I doubt it, considering they were originally intended to be the same character.

3. ExarKunundrum

ExarKunundrum Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 13, 2005
    Eh? None of those species are humans.

He's saying that they're all near-human species. Zabrak, Chiss and whatever still follow the basic appearence with only a few physical differences, like horns and blue skin etc. Compared to non-human aliens like Vratix, Noghri and Dugs, etc.

Though I'm not sure why he mentioned Massassi. They didn't look anything like humans.....

4. QuentinGeorge

Dec 12, 2003
    Though I'm not sure why he mentioned Massassi.

Since they're able to interbreed with baseline humans, they are an evolutionary offshoot.

5. ExarKunundrum

Mar 13, 2005
    Most species can interbreed, they just don't... so long as they are vaguely similar and of the same... genus? Is that the word?

But have you seen a massassi? You can't really say they are near human.....

6. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004

Sorry, there's nothing to say that. I doubt it, considering they were originally intended to be the same character.

He meant they were a different race to Darth Maul.

And he didn't say near-human, he said human. Which makes no sense. Especially in light of the Massassi, who are about human as the Kiliks.

Also, the Falleen look human, but they evolved from reptiles, so surely there can't be a common ancestor unless it's so far back as to be practically irrelevant?

7. Gladiuus

Gladiuus Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 20, 2003
    Near-humans are essentially just different species of humans; human "offshoots" that evolved over the millennia from wayward normal human colonists. So yeah, it could be argued that they're human just as grey wolves, coyotes, and red wolves are all dogs. They can all interbreed. Non-human species cannot interbreed with humans; a bothan and a human could not have children, for example, since they are not at all related.

Species like falleen and twileks are human mimics, not actual human species. They evolved to look like humans for some reason or another.

And massassi are plenty human looking, they just have reddish skin and those weird fleshy things on their chins. Plus, they interbreed with human dark jedi, so they have to be a species of human.

8. Communista

Communista Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 9, 2001
    ugh . . .i hate it when people assume a fact based solely on how earth scientists define 'species'.

Hello . . .dark magi involved here . . .that can create all sorts of monsters, tech and blow up friggin' stars. I doubt a little cross-species fertilization would be that difficult.

Sith are not humans. please, get over it. Isn't enough that they're everywhere else?

9. ExarKunundrum

Mar 13, 2005
    Massassi look like a demonic top heavy cross between a neanderthal and a lion, with some tentacle thingies and beady eyes thrown in. As Marcus said, they look like humans about as much as the Killicks do (or did - they're extinct, aren't they?)

And come tho think of it, I can't actually remember reading anything about Massassi and Dark Jedi breeding - where did this happen? What book/comic?

10. Gladiuus

Nov 20, 2003
    [image=http://www.theforce.net/swtc/Pix/comics/totj/sithbred.jpg]

They look pretty human to me.

Why does dark side sorcery have to be involved? It was initially just a bunch of jedi outcasts who stumbled across the sith and interbred with them, since Massassi are just offshoots of baseline humans.

11. Communista

Communista Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 9, 2001
    lol, well I had my angry juice today and have hijacked a topic. But its just something that always bugged me. The Dark jedi flee the republic, cross the galaxy, go further than any person has ever gone before, come across a completely alien culture . . .oh, but we can still successfully breed with them. I don't think so. It strains credibility to believe that everywhere in the universe people are exactly the same as *us* . . .unless there is some sort of Star-Trek-esque pre-Republic galactic humanoid civilization. Why bother with explanations that stretch cbelievability and are overly convoluted when we can just say: "It was magic, baby!"

12. Syntax

Syntax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 1, 2001

He meant they were a different race to Darth Maul.

Again, not according to the official SW website - all 3 of them are Zabraks.

13. Kwenn

Kwenn Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 30, 2001
    "Again, not according to the official SW website - all 3 of them are Zabraks."

I believe he means they are from a different racial group, or sub-species. The horn patterns on a Zabrak's head denote their sub-species. Eeth Koth and Agen Kolar are from a different sub-species to Darth Maul.

And the Massassi, Chiss etc are humanoid, not human themselves. It'd be like calling apes humans because both species look similar. Their form is humanoid, but they aren't of the species.

14. skawookiee

skawookiee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 12, 2000
    Gladiuus, the pic you showed was of the Sith species, not the Massassi. They're different.

Here's a hastily scanned picture of a Massassi from the EGTAS:

[image=http://jaguar.aug.edu/mstout1/massassi.jpg]

15. rogue_wookiee

rogue_wookiee Jedi Youngling star 6

Apr 24, 2004
    :oops: You guys didn't understand what I said at all.

Maul is an Iridonian Zabrak. Note the crown horn pattern. Bao-Dur is also Iridonian.

Koth and Kolar are a different race. Note their horn pattern.

QG I meant that Koth and Kolar are a different race from Maul and Bao-Dur. Not from each other.

The databank is wrong. Koth is not Iridonian. Either by race or home.

16. ExarKunundrum

Mar 13, 2005
    Here's a hastily scanned picture of a Massassi from the EGTAS:

That's the picture I was working from ;)

I don't care how drunk you get them, I don't think any human in the galaxy would want to sleep with that..... :D

17. RogueWompRat

RogueWompRat Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 15, 2003
    The Massassi living on Yavin 4 were mutated by Naga Sadow's Sith magic to become the large curstacean looking things. Prior to that they were pretty much as the baseline Sith species, the reddish skinned near humans with fleshy growths on the chin and eyebrows. These were the Sith who interbred with the Dark Jedi who were exiled from the Republic.

darklordoftech likes this.
  18. Gladiuus

Nov 20, 2003
    Exactly. The monster-massassi are mutated forms of the red sith/massassi in the picture above.

" And the Massassi, Chiss etc are humanoid, not human themselves. It'd be like calling apes humans because both species look similar. Their form is humanoid, but they aren't of the species."

No, they're descended from humans, they can breed with humans, and therefore they're just another species of humans. Humans are the predominate species in the galaxy and have been for thousands if not millions of years before the formation of the Republic, long enough for far-flung colonies to develop into distinct species: chiss, zabrak, etc. There's even a race of blue-skinned humans in Rogue Planet that are specifically referred to as the descendants of a colony of standard humans many, many years ago.

Species like Falleen and Twilek, on the other hand, are not related to humans at all and all resemblances are either conicidental or the result of evolving to mimic the appearance of humans.

Like I said, it's like calling dogs wolves; the many and physically very different breeds of dogs all come from the same baseline wolf stock, and are still genetically nearly identical and can easily interbreed.

19. EH_Pilot

EH_Pilot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 12, 2003
    Considering hyperspace travel, and virtually any interplanetary transportation has only existed for about 25,000, it's pretty amazing/impossible that so many new species/sub-species/off-shoots could form from the original humans.

20. RogueWompRat

RogueWompRat Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 15, 2003
    That doesn't preclude them being transported by more advanced races (the ones that brought humans to the GFFA in the first place?) or colonization with sublight ships.

21. DarthAeonius

DarthAeonius Jedi Youngling

Feb 22, 2005
    I was always under the assumption that the difference between the two names was class, like our middle class, upper class and lower class.

22. Gladiuus

Nov 20, 2003
    "Considering hyperspace travel, and virtually any interplanetary transportation has only existed for about 25,000, it's pretty amazing/impossible that so many new species/sub-species/off-shoots could form from the original humans."

Not really. Coruscant, Chandrilla, Alderaan, Corellia, and may other core worlds had been inhabited for millennia by humans prior to the discovery of hyperdrive. Humans are so far-flung that their homeworld isn't even known anymore. It's likely that human colony ships were travelling the stars tens if not hundreds of thousands of years prior to the discovery of hyperdrive.

23. JediOtakuDC

JediOtakuDC Jedi Youngling

Mar 23, 2005
    so confusing... i see a headache comming...

24. QuentinGeorge

Dec 12, 2003
    Considering hyperspace travel, and virtually any interplanetary transportation has only existed for about 25,000, it's pretty amazing/impossible that so many new species/sub-species/off-shoots could form from the original humans.

Slower methods of transportation were available long before Hyperspace was discovered by the Republic c. 25,000.

Heck, the original Sith could have been Rakatan slaves (or slaves of a much earlier race).

darklordoftech likes this.
  25. LastOneStanding

LastOneStanding Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 19, 2004
    Massassi are not Near-Humans. They evolved on a completely different world than any of the SW humans/Near-Humans. If anything, Massassi are closer to Sith...though I even would dispute that. My personal view says that Massassi are a completely different race than Sith, although the Massassi serve as the thralls of the Sith.

BTW, didn't this thread use to be about Zabraks? ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.