main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Zahn and the NJO

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Vong_Killer, Nov 10, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vong_Killer

Vong_Killer Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 22, 2001
    I hope Zahn makes a return to SW writing for the NJO. The possibilities are outragous!! Anyone else agree?

2. chissdude10

chissdude10 Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    Chiss, Baby ,CHISS!!!

3. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    The possibilites are limited.

1. Zahn hates delrey, and doesn't want to have anything to do with them.

2. Zahn would limit his ideas to bringing back thrawn.

3. Zahn will ridicule other author's ideas.

4. Mira_McGrath

Mira_McGrath Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 7, 2001
    zahn would be great for the story arc

5. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    Mara, Karrde and Ghent save the day. Luke is a wuss. Thrawn s mentioned a lot. Characters he creates take centre stage. The last 8 books are more or less ignored.

Id prefer William Shatner :)

6. Terranix

Terranix Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 6, 2001
    I was just wondering, but is Thrawn (c) to Zhan?

ie; Another author couldn't use him even if they wanted to?

I'd heard that there was a comic series coming out called Spectre of Thrawn, but it was cancelled.

7. chissdude10

Jul 26, 2001
    Val Zahns awsome stop dising him!

8. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Only LFL holds copyrights.

Any author can use any other author's creations if they like too.

9. _Tenel_Ka_

_Tenel_Ka_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 11, 2001
    that's a little judgemental isn't now?
    Zahn should write a NJO book because:
    1) he writes the military and strategic perspective well
    2) he can restore life to what is becoming stale Mara Jade character
    3) he's probably had enough of thrawn, (after five books, wouldn't you?)and won't mention him as much.
    4) if he is thinking about bringing the chiss into it somehow, there's going be some serious vong butt kicking, and maybe no major characters will be killed off
    5) this is likely, the next books have Jag in them.

10. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Vong_Killer...
    "The possibilities are outragous!! Anyone else agree?"

:D Funny you use "outrageous."

out-ra-geous (out ra jes) adj. 1.a. being an outrage; grossly offensive; heinous. b. Disgraceful; shameful. 2. Having no regard for morality. 3. Violent or unrestrained in temperment or behavior. 4. Extravagent; immoderate; extreme

I agree with you completely. ALL useages of the word apply to Zahn. His return to Star Wars would be an outrage, grossly offensive and heinous. Zahn's possibilities would be disgraceful and shameful. He has no regard to morality when it comes to his handling of the Star Wars EU. His past actions with respect to the EU/EU continuity have been violent and unrestrained. When it comes to the EU he holds extremist views of things and would be extravagent and immoderate with his own creations.

Outrageous would be exactly the right word to use should he ever return to Star Wars.

11. chissdude10

Jul 26, 2001
    Ha I now the chiss, and this is just the beggining.

12. Kier_Nimmion

Kier_Nimmion Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 9, 2000
    1. Zahn hates delrey, and doesn't want to have anything to do with them.

This I have heard also.

2. Zahn would limit his ideas to bringing back thrawn.

This time it will be a Chiss college basketball coach who will use court strategies to defeat the New Republic and bring back the Empire...for the 43rd time.

3. Zahn will ridicule other author's ideas.

Yup. It's one of the prime reasons I dislike him. As an author writing in a shared universe such as this, it is to your credit that, if you dislike something, write around it, ignore it, or whatever, but don't insult them.

13. Mira_McGrath

Nov 7, 2001
    Zahn is the only other, aside from stackpole, who's writing flows with what the flanaled one has deemed to be. zahn doesn't slaughter the continuity, everyone else does.

14. chissdude10

Jul 26, 2001
    Ever notice How Val and Genghis think so much alike.

15. _Tenel_Ka_

Sep 11, 2001
    thankyou Mira!
    that's what i was thinking too.

and Zahn doesn't insult the other authors, he just doesn't refer to them.

16. Ghent42

Ghent42 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 19, 2001
    "Mara, Karrde and Ghent save the day. Luke is a wuss. Thrawn s mentioned a lot. Characters he creates take centre stage. The last 8 books are more or less ignored." - ReaperFett

sound good to me!

Ghent, baby, GHENT! Wait, the Vong don't use computers. So he would be a pretty useless character :(. Oh well, bring him back anyway!!!!!!

17. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    No, Thrawn is not copyrighted to Zahn, and no Zahn wouldn't write for Del Rey, and no Zahn wouldn't be good for NJO.

1) he writes the military and strategic perspective well

So do many other authors. Just from the Bantam days, aside from the X-wing authors, K-Mac does this stuff better than Zahn could.

2) he can restore life to what is becoming stale Mara Jade character

Take a developing character and shove her back into his stale idea of how she should be? She seems to me to have evolved logically, especially with regards to being a mother. I think that MAS butchered her character and Luceno wasn't too good with her either, but the others were good.

3) he's probably had enough of thrawn, (after five books, wouldn't you?)and won't mention him as much.

I'd think he'd have been done with the guy once he was dead, instead of trying to turn him into an even bigger genius. But it doesn't matter what he'd want so much, because NJO story is developed in committee. Not the books themselves, but the main plots.

if he is thinking about bringing the chiss into it somehow, there's going be some serious vong butt kicking, and maybe no major characters will be killed off

Yeah, that would be kewl. Zahn could bring in the almight perfect Chiss instead of DR letting another author try a take at them.

this is likely, the next books have Jag in them.

Jag has nothing to do with Zahn, and the Chiss are not copyrighted to him. The return of the Chiss in no way signifies a return of Zahn.

Now, I don't have anything against Zahn as an author, but as others have pointed out, his egoism makes him not ideal for a shared universe.

18. Mira_McGrath

Nov 7, 2001
    I think _Tenel_Ka_ and i are on the same wavelength here. and Ghent42, too. Zahn could easily fix the mess that the other authors have turned this into, and make something coherent and worthwhile.

19. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    KJA writes far more Lucas-esque than Zahn

Hey, let let him use his original ideas too! WHat was it now? Evil clone of Obi-Wan and Noghri being force users? Yeah, let's use that! :)

20. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    "Val Zahns awsome stop dising him!"

Val Zahns? Who's he? What's dising?

21. chissdude10

Jul 26, 2001
    As long as the chiss are there I dont care who writes it.

22. Mira_McGrath

Nov 7, 2001
    well, atleast you're not negative, chissdude. thats a good thing

23. _Tenel_Ka_

Sep 11, 2001

1) that still means Zahn can write the military well. he's as good as anyone for that job, and better than certain other authors, like Barbra Hambly.

2) who says he has to improve Mara from where he left her before? he can take over the development from what has happened before.

3) by bringing thrawn into it, i mean mentioning him, not bringing him back to life. he wouldn't be allowed to.

4) the chiss don't have to save them completely, but the NR needs to get off the defensive and they need extra help to do that. the chiss can provide this opportunity

24. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    1) that still means Zahn can write the military well. he's as good as anyone for that job, and better than certain other authors, like Barbra Hambly.

He's better than some, worse than others. He's written 5 EU novels. Let's give someone else a chance. I say the same for KJA, MAS, and even Allston.

2) who says he has to improve Mara from where he left her before? he can take over the development from what has happened before.

That's the thing, he takes her from how she's been developed and always tries to turn her back into the same old Mara.

3) by bringing thrawn into it, i mean mentioning him, not bringing him back to life. he wouldn't be allowed to.

ok

4) the chiss don't have to save them completely, but the NR needs to get off the defensive and they need extra help to do that. the chiss can provide this opportunity

I take it you haven't read SbS.

25. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    "Zahn is the only other, aside from stackpole, who's writing flows with what the flanaled one has deemed to be. zahn doesn't slaughter the continuity, everyone else does."

Actually Zahn has admited that his views are contradicted by lucas as seen in episode 1.

KJA got most of his views by discussing ideas with lucas himself. As did veitch.

So in actuallity it is KJA whose views and style closely mirror that of the flanneled one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.