main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Zahn and the NJO

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Vong_Killer, Nov 10, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Xen

Jedi_Xen Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 26, 2001
    When I said I feel Zahns vision of the EU is better than GL I did mention that was just my opinion, I bet Zahn wouldnt have all those Imperial superweapons or kidnapping plots and lame force powers, it got pathetic.

2. _Tenel_Ka_

_Tenel_Ka_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 11, 2001
    RAS likely will not write anymore of the NJO, because so many people hate him for what he did to Chewbacca. Not that it was really up to him, but he became a scapegoat. there might be a protest :D . IMO, RAS gave Chewie an honourable death, but not everyone else agrees.

3. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    Everyone else doesn't know what it's like to write for Star Wars either. Fanboys with the fanfics, it's ridiculous.

4. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Jedi_Xen...
    "I bet Zahn wouldnt have all those Imperial superweapons or kidnapping plots and lame force powers, it got pathetic."

Funny you should mention these Xen. It was Zahn who utilized the kidnapping plots ad nauseum. More ridiculous is the fact that he had a kidnapping attempt against Leia just a year after Denning's novel had a kidnapping attempt on Leia. [face_plain] It was Zahn who first made the force powers lame. As envisioned by the flannel one, the Jedi are supposed to have all sorts of "Jedi super-powers" - superspeed (faster than a speeding blaster), leaping tall duelling pits in a single bound, etc. Veitch and Anderson had a closer grasp of what the Force/Jedi are capable of as compared to Lucas than Zahn's lame-duck Force powers.

5. JokerRipper

JokerRipper Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 22, 2000
    Do they have an argument board? It's hard to argue with so many different viewpoints involved ... :D ... It's enough to make one cross-eyed.

6. JokerRipper

JokerRipper Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 22, 2000
    "It was Zahn who first made the force powers lame. As envisioned by the flannel one, the Jedi are supposed to have all sorts of "Jedi super-powers" - superspeed (faster than a speeding blaster), leaping tall duelling pits in a single bound, etc. Veitch and Anderson had a closer grasp of what the Force/Jedi are capable of as compared to Lucas than Zahn's lame-duck Force powers."

I think Zahn utilized a "lame-duck" standpoint because of the fact that Lucas never went over how far a Jedi uses their powers ... to what extent does a Jedi have influence in the lives of others. The primary reason Luke hesitates to use such amazing power is the fact that his two mentors died before he could actually be taught those oh-so-important lessons that it appears (in Ep. I) a Padawan is taught by his/her teacher. Besides, if he had come up with the Force flight and Force planetary concealment powers, people would have screamed overkill and Zahn would have sacrificed story for flashy Jedi skills. All in all, he made the story more human for giving Luke this inability to set his limits of power.

7. Jedi_Xen

Jedi_Xen Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 26, 2001
    Yes we all know Zahn was the creation of Star Trek sent to ruin star wars for everyone. Thanks for enlightening us. After all he wrote what probably is the most popular series in the EU.
    I can understand if you dont like Zahn or his vision, I have an extreme dislike of KJA. Hes a moron, and no matter what the arguements made in Zahns defense you will always blame him for the things that you dont like.
    Its a matter of personal taste, I heard people say they actually like things like Young Jedi Knights and Junior Jedi Knights, IMO they nearly crippled the EU, I hate them with a passion and truley wish they would be denounced.
    And maybe Im just wrong on my lit history here but, I had been under the impression that Heir to the Empire was the first Star Wars novel since ROTJ, and the only event that took place a year prior to Thrawn was the courtship of Princess Leia, which I for a fact know came out after the Thrawn trilogy.
    One of us has their info messed up, if you can provide me a list of dates the novels were released then Id accept that Zahn screwed around with the EU too, but didnt jack it up as bad as the ever so revered KJA.
    The biggest thing I was dissappointed with with Zahn was he didnt have Luke start any other Jedi down the path of the force, except Leia. Of course if your correct then the other writers are to be blamed for this and not Zahn.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.