main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Zahn, Lucas, or Tolkein

Discussion in 'Literature' started by ThrawnFreak, Oct 3, 2001.

?

Zahn, Lucas, or Tolkein

Poll closed Mar 28, 2012.
  1. Zahn

16.0%
  2. Lucas

42.0%
  3. Tolkein

42.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThrawnFreak

ThrawnFreak Jedi Youngling

Mar 30, 2001
  2. JWK

JWK Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 18, 2000
    I'd have to say Tolkein, I've only read the hobbit and haven't got around to reading LotR yet. Zahn is still brillant and so is Lucas's vision.

3. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Martin

BTW,are you asking which is best? Worst? Which has eaten the most bologna sandwiches in their lives? Names without a question to go with them mean nothing in a poll?

4. DarthSock

DarthSock Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 5, 2001
    Two are authors and one is a filmmaker, so what the hell are you asking?

5. Balance_Point

Balance_Point Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 10, 2001
    I vote for d.) Keyes. :)

6. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    Actually, I think Kyp would beat them blob racing. I hear he owns the fastest blob in the galaxy.

That is what this is about, right? Blob racing? :)

7. Master_Halcyon

Master_Halcyon Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 10, 2001
    I would definitely say not Tolkein since he has a tendancy to draw the beginning too much.

8. ThrawnFreak

Mar 30, 2001
    JWK: read LOTR! its the best book ever...i have read it 4 times even tho it is 1000+ pages! Im asking which is best...not the bologna thing ;) I know two are authors and one is a film maker, but Lucas had to think up SW didnt he?! he wrote the lines and developed the plot, which makes him an author. Anyway, just vote for which one you like best...

9. Jedi-Rascal

Jedi-Rascal Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 13, 2001
    Someone who writes books is an author. Alan Dean Foster is the author of A New Hope, not George Lucas. George Lucas is the creator. If you wanna be picky, he is also the screenwriter or whatever, but author is the wrong word.

10. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    Martin.

All those who claim the NJO is too dark should never come within spitting distance of a Song of Ice and Fire. He makes the NJO look like a Disney film.

If he was writing the NJO, he'd have killed off Luke, Mara (and brought her back as an Undead critter), Han, Anakin, Lando, and Chewie. Jaina would be borderline psychotic, Jacen would have a broken back. Leia would have seized power back from Borsk and settled down into being a tyrant. The people of the New Republic would be hoping that the Vong would come and rescue them?

11. -Vergere-

-Vergere- Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2001
    Hah! Sweet, I like Martin already!

12. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    And Anakin would've married Tahiri, at the expense of an important political marriage, and then gotten stabbed through the heart.

13. ThrawnFreak

Mar 30, 2001
    be obstinate Jedi Rascal! :p

14. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    Anakin would have married Tahiri against his mothers wishes. Leia would have already picked out a match that would have created an alliance that might just saved the realm, and Anakin would blow everything by marrying a girl just because he slept with her for a night... :D

I love ASOS...

15. Quiwan

Quiwan Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    If your going for who has the best story/vision etc. it is Lucas by far. I never had any intrest in Tolkien (don't hate me) and I feel Zahn crapped on Star Wars.

16. PrinceXizor

PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 4, 2001
    Ahem... Tolkien created at least two languages for LotR. What Lucas has done is great, but it does not go that far...

17. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Alright, which one of you was that one person smoking the crack before you voted. Man, you gotta lay off that stuff, it'll not only rot your brain, it'll make you vote for Zahn.

18. Freyja

Freyja Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    I voted for Tolkien. In my mind this isn't even a contest. Especially after TPM.

19. PrinceXizor

PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 4, 2001
    Hum... I should have anticipated Genghis' commentary... Well, I did not and I'm ROTFLMAO ! [face_laugh]

20. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    Umm, Ben Burtt created dozens of languages for Star Wars. And he recorded them all for the movies. And he did a million other things all at once.

And other authors have created languages for their books too. Off the top of my head I can say Keyes created at least 2 for the Chalenging (err, whatever) series (its fresh on my mind, I just finished reading it).

I voted for Lucas BTW.

21. LoveisSuicideSP

LoveisSuicideSP Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 23, 2001
    Star Wars Trilogy is and always will be my favorite movies ever, but LOTR is is my favorite experience ever. Nothing can come close to the magic of Lord of the Rings.

22. Darth_Destructo

Darth_Destructo Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 2, 2001
    Zahn is the only one who could actually produce a novel in the near future.

23. JadedofMara

JadedofMara Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 16, 2001
    Everyone knows i think Zahn is the man, but he is only the Star Wars EU man. Lucas is the Star Wars man, but even he didnt come up to Tolkiens standards. Not only did he write LOTR and hobbit, there was also the simiarlion, and over ten novel-size chronicles of the middle earth books, which read like HISTORY textbooks. He was devoted to his universe in ways that lucas, frankly, is not.

He wins hands down

24. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    Washington Irving

25. Jayd

Jayd Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 30, 2001
    Lucas definitely. Zahn rocks too but not as much as Lucas. And Tolkien just sucks. He is so boring.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.