main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Zahn off the record, what he told me about the Vong...

Discussion in 'Literature' started by chissdude10, Mar 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chissdude10

chissdude10 Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    "Dear Mr. Nettina,

Thanbk you for your note and for your kind comments about my Star Wars books. I'm glad you've been enjoying them(And just as a side note, the threat mentioned out in the Unknown Regions has already been revealed in the New Jedi Order books; The Vong Invasion"

He laiter signs it himeself.
    I know there was a topic on this but I think its big and the otherone mey be getting off-topic so I started a new. Sorry for my redundence(if any).

However this note shows Zahn belives the Vong are the great threat, yet the sw authors precieve different(from hints in DJ)

This leads me to belive only a fued could begin that may make Zahn step out of writing sw altogether!

2. ILLUMINATUS_JEDI

ILLUMINATUS_JEDI Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    How do we know you ain't made this up?

3. CeeWulf

CeeWulf Jedi Master star 4

Feb 15, 2002
    Maybe I missed it, but I don't recall there being any discussion in DJ that there was ANOTHER threat from outside the galaxy other than the Vong.

4. I-poodoo

I-poodoo Jedi Padawan star 4

May 1, 2001
    I think that it is still yet to be revealed even to most of the Chiss that the Vong is the mysterious threat they knew of.

You know how legends sorta obscure or forget facts and details about the things they're supposed to warn or tell us about. Well it could be a case of that here. The vong came caused some trouble that the Chiss got involved with and left, The Chiss remembered that a mysterious enemy was out there, and might return someday, but just forgot the name of that enemy (if they ever learned it), or just forgot that the enemy was from outside the galaxy. The Vong and mysterious threat might be the equivalent of the boogeyman to the general Chiss population.

Now Thrawn might've been smart enough to figure it out from several desparate sources and smart enough to affect plans to prepare for the Vong's return. Sorta like finding clues from dusty manuscripts of a general idea where atlantis is on Earth.

This satisfies both Zahn's threat form the unknown regions, and the new enemy from outside the galaxy in the vong.

5. chissdude10

Jul 26, 2001
    You cant, because I cant show you the letter. Tell ya what, I may see Isbeth Saturday and Ill show here and she can tell. Or you could write Zahn. I am not lying though and don't assume I am because of my age and status.

6. IAmTheDarkSide

IAmTheDarkSide Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 9, 2002
    I've written Zahn before with similar questions, and he actually does respond. I believe Chissdude.

7. JediStryker

JediStryker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 5, 2000
    chissdude may be many things, but I don't see him as being a liar.

What this actually means, though, remains to be seen. Mr. Zahn, as much as I enjoy his writing, seems like a bit of an egotist, and may simply be saying that the Vong are the threat to make sure there are no loose ends in his own works.

That may not be true, and considering that he did have a lot to do with the initial planning, it's very possible.

What this all means in the end, though, is a bit unclear to me. :D

8. IAmTheDarkSide

Jan 9, 2002
    What it means is nothing. Contents of a letter have no official status, and any published material doesn't have to take them into account.

9. ILLUMINATUS_JEDI

Nov 29, 2001
    It will get official status if Zahn gets a NJO book to write which could be a bad thing.

Never the less, I believe ya Chissdude.

10. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    I believe you 100% 'dude.

I would be surprised if he said anything different. It is essentially the same line he's been parroting about his "threats" for several years now in interviews that are on record. One comment on the record is something to the effect of "any threat to the GFFA HAS to come through the UR."

He truly believes this, it seems, despite what the facts are. The fact is, the Vong have come through Vector Prime not the UR. Sorry, Tim.

I can see him writing some Chiss short story as them having been holding back the Vong invasion in the UR. So, because the Vong couldn't defeat the superchiss, they detoured around the galaxy and circumvented them completely. [face_plain]

11. CeeWulf

Feb 15, 2002
    Everybody, remember "Rogue Planet"? That Vong were a part of that book, and that took place during the Prequel era. So, remember, they've been to the Star Wars galaxy before.

12. PrinceXizor

PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 4, 2001
    "I believe you 100% 'dude."

Oh, surprise ! :D

No, really, I gotta agree with Genghis here...

I enjoyed a lot TTT, I stil consider it among the best of the EU, I appreciated SotP, VotF was the 'standard' novel, although with some interesting bits, but this... Yeah, definitively gotta agree with Genghis.

13. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    Ceewulf,
    You have to think in rl time, not fictional "SW time." Rogue Planet wasn't even around when Zahn came up with the unknown threats from the UR plotline.

14. CeeWulf

Feb 15, 2002
    What? The Zahn books (SOTP & VOTF) were released BEFORE "Rogue Planet." The Zahn books were written as an ending to the old series and as the setup for NJO. "Rogue Planet" took place in the Prequel era but gave information about the NJO series, and the new baddies. It's also a big indication that the Vong had been here before, and that something happened in the past.

15. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    Very cool, 'Dude. Im curious, though : What made you write him and how did you get his info, and what exactly did you ask him ? You dont have to say if you dont want to, Im just curious.

16. chissdude10

Jul 26, 2001
    Very cool, 'Dude. Im curious, though : What made you write him and how did you get his info, and what exactly did you ask him ? You dont have to say if you dont want to, Im just curious.

He is along with Elain Cuungham, Mike Stackepole, and the lady who wrote CS to respond to my letters asking for writing advice, I just happned to throw a little something in. He signed the letter so I got his autograph!

17. chissdude10

Jul 26, 2001
    Genghis, since we all know ya love Zahn, ya want his address?

18. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    Sure, 'dude.

19. FTeik

FTeik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 7, 2000
    Well, Zahn can hardly run around a claim otherwise, like:

"Oh, the Vong are good, but i meant something totally different, when i was speaking of the unknown threats in the Unknown Regions."

20. IAmTheDarkSide

Jan 9, 2002
    Who needs an address?

Just write to:

Author
    c/o Publisher who is publishing author's books
    Publisher's address.

21. ILLUMINATUS_JEDI

Nov 29, 2001
    Don't give him the adress! [face_shocked]

I prefer Zahn the way he is. 8-}

22. chissdude10

Jul 26, 2001
    Gosh his address aint top secret or anything! I got it online...at a site we all know!

23. chissdude10

Jul 26, 2001
  24. Elite_Guard

Elite_Guard Jedi Master star 2

Oct 7, 2001
    heres what George Lucas sent me!

Dear Mr. Guard,

With my sequel trilogy i will contradict everything that happened in the EU. That's right! Your precious EU is now going to be destroyed by me!!! The sequel trilogy will have Earth in it!! and Chewie will be alive and Leia and Han arent married! because leia died in a car crash on earth! So hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

Signed,
    Mr. Lucas

LoL

25. Elite_Guard

Elite_Guard Jedi Master star 2

Oct 7, 2001
    BTW- Why did Mr.*ahem*Zahn*cough* mispell Thank???

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.