main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Zahn's new Star Wars book

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Bratty Jedi Master, Jun 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bratty Jedi Master

Bratty Jedi Master Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 1, 1999
    I was at the Sci-Fi con in Houston this weekend. Tim Zahn was the author guest of honor and he officially confirmed a few things about his new Star Wars books. He is currently only contracted to write one book. It will not be out until after Episode 3. On the GFFA timeline it will take place just before Episode 2. It will be about Thrawn's destruction of the Outbound Flight project.

Bratty Jedi

2. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    Cany anyone else verify this? Not that we don't believe you, Bratty, just want to be sure.

3. Bratty Jedi Master

Oct 1, 1999
    I understand. I promise it is true, though. I emailed a summary to jedinet.com, by the way, They posted it on their site already because it jived with everything they knew. I don't know if anyone else that was at the con will post here. Tim Zahn actually gave out more info at the con, but he asked that it not be given out as public knowledge yet. After spending most of the weekend with the guy, I really respect him and want to hold to that promise I gave him or else I would give more details. I hope you understand my unwillingness to give out more info. to you.

Bratty

4. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Well that certainly sounds very appealing. I have been waiting for a book on this forever!

5. Nichos_Marr

Nichos_Marr Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 26, 2001
    Bah...I was hoping for something more centered on the clone wars. [face_plain]

6. Darth Ludicrous

Darth Ludicrous Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 25, 2000
    I've known about this for two years now, but was sworn to secrecy. I could have sworn I was told between episodes 3 and 4, but it was so long ago I just forgot and thought that since it was coming after Episode 3 that that is when it was set.

7. Bratty Jedi Master

Oct 1, 1999
    Darth Ludicrous

I've also known most of this for a while. He just officially confirmed it this weekend and granted permission for it to become public knowledge. If he hadn't, I wouldn't have posted it.

Bratty

8. Guinastasia

Guinastasia Force Ghost star 6

Jun 9, 2002
    Oh wow! YES!!! That is so going to rock!

*does Happy Dance*

9. Patches

Patches Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 4, 2002
    I was kind of hoping that he would write a book that doesn't have to do with Thrawn, but it should at least be interesting to see what kind of new characters he comes up with.

10. Kier_Nimmion

Kier_Nimmion Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 9, 2000

Thrawngasm commence!

11. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    Heh, I bet Genghis12's having one right now... :D

12. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    Poo. While it'll be cool to have this story down in print, finally, I'm hoping that other characters and stories will be fleshed out.

I want to see Zahn's spin on Anakin, Obi-Wan and Padme...Not Thrawn. Again. [face_plain]

13. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    Oh, I wouldn't worry about that too much, there, Sturm. We'll likely get both, given the timeframe. ;)

14. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    I'd be more happy and surprised, but DL has been dropping hints that are about as subtle as an assassin in full Mandalorian get-up for the past year-and-a-half. In fact, there are several threads that have gaping holes where particually heavy hints were droped. ;) Still, it is nice to have it confirmed.

TC

15. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    Didn't someone say it was confirmed at Celebration II he was doing two books? Wonder if he does use a new villian how impossibly surperior their going to be.

16. Darth Ludicrous

Darth Ludicrous Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 25, 2000
    it started about the same time I stopped giving the standard "Zahn will never write for Del Rey" standard answer everytime his name was brought up.

17. Blake Glider

Blake Glider Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 27, 1999
    Thrawn has only been in three books, considering the villians are basically all the same from soldier to general(if not the exact same individual) in the NJO, I'd like to see Thrawn again.

18. ParanoidAni-droid

ParanoidAni-droid Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2001

Is it a streach to think that both books will be in the PT era? I'm not sure if I'd be interested in anything Zahn had to offer in the post-rotj era, not after a certian duology.

~PAd

19. Kier_Nimmion

Kier_Nimmion Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 9, 2000

I bet Zahn will find a way to make Thrawn instrumental in the Clone Wars, the Jedi Purge, bacta, how he actually built C-3PO and the invention of Imperial-class Star Destroyers.

20. ParanoidAni-droid

ParanoidAni-droid Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2001

Don't forget the Deathstar plans! Oh, and he was actually Sifo Dyas. 8-}

~PAd

21. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    The one book deal goes against what the Del Rey editors themselves stated at Celebration II.

Still, I'd trust the rest of the news. No Yays from me though. ;)

22. Darth Thrawn

Darth Thrawn Jedi Master star 3

Mar 18, 2000
    Im pretty sure that the outbound flight project was destroyed a short while after Episode I, and not just before Ep II.

23. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    Yep. 31 BBY.

24. DaJames

DaJames Jedi Master star 4

Oct 1, 2000
    I don't know about you guys, but i say a big YAY to this news. Zahn is one of the best (not THE best, but definitely one of) at tying together seemingly disparate elements of the EU (much to some people's, ahem disgust). If anyone was going to write a book with full knowledge of the entire PT and tie it into previously established EU, Zahn is one of the people i'd call.

25. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    I am really, REALLY happy with this news!

But yes, as someone states, the Outbound Flight Project actually happens just after Episode I, not near Episode II.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.