Zahns silence on 2, is it contridicting his ideals?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by chissdude10, Mar 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chissdude10 Jedi Youngling

star 5
    Tim has been almost silent latly, and when it comes to Epi2, a movie he should have pionered, he is silent.

I think Mr. Zahn really wanted to be the one to set the stage of the preqauls and rise of the Empire, bvut since the preqauls have been movies, he's been silent. I really think he should have a say of his ideals, for his contributions to sw in general.
  2. Gandalf the Grey Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    a movie he should have pioneered

Why should he have pioneered EPII? Timothy Zahn != Star Wars. He?s at least smart enough to realize that his vision of Star Wars isn?t quite LFL?s vision of Star Wars, and he?s staying quiet about it, which is for the good.
  3. chissdude10 Jedi Youngling

star 5
    Zahn was the first to give us actual info on the prequals(Lucas just mentioned the name Clone Wars)
  4. Gandalf the Grey Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Zahn was the first to give us actual info on the prequals

Blatantly not true. Marvel provided info on the prequel era long before Zahn ever dreamed he'd be writing Star Wars.
  5. Jedi Ben Chosen One

star 6
    Hmm, I'm just wondering, how long before Ganghis and the Zahn critics join the party?

Might as well get in first: Zahn could be sulking because his ideas have been contradicted. VOTF did indicate an ego problem as far as I'm concerned.

Jedi Ben
  6. chissdude10 Jedi Youngling

star 5
    I got that impression to Ben, he really seemed as if he was going to introduce the whole outline of the Clone Wars in VotF. BTW for those who think I think Zahn is sw, your wrong. I aknowledge Lucas created sw and it's his ideals, I just don't think hes that devoted to the actual story. Please dont question that statment btw.
  7. Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    Ignorance is Chiss

Get it? Chiss...bliss. Eh forget it.

Lucas expressly told Zhan not to write about the Clone Wars. For whatever reason, he did anyway and it got published. Now his continuity is getting stomped on. Essentially it's Lucas' fault for letting it happen but it did happen.
  8. Valiento Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    Of course I will point out that zahn only wrote about one small part of the "Clone Wars"(he didn't write the beginning or the end of the wars).

Episode 2 only shows the beginning, "This Clone War", then there is 2 years worth of wars and battles off camera, where the EU takes place.

Episode 3 most likely tells about the end of the clone wars.
  9. chissdude10 Jedi Youngling

star 5
    Oh so thats what happened....
  10. Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    "I think Mr. Zahn really wanted to be the one to set the stage of the preqauls and rise of the Empire."

So does Salvatore. Which is why he took the job, mind you. So does every other Star Wars writter and fan. But they choose Salvatore. Why? He is good for the job.
  11. Dev Sibwarra Jedi Master

star 4
    I don't think you can read this much into silence. Had Zahn always been an outspoken writer, it might be logical to conclude that he's sulking. But, that isn't the case. Even before the prequels, when he was still working closely with the Star Wars universe, Zahn didn't do many interviews or chats.
  12. Tiershon_Fett Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Awwwwwwww. Poor wittle Zawn. He mad becaude the Cweator of SW won't let him write da PT! How Saaaaaaaaaaaaddddddd.......... Wah!!!!!

Actually is's called intellectual properties, Chiss. Lucas is the owner and creator of SW. You seem to be in denial over that idea.

TZ had creative license. They're not exactly equals there. TZ is just a writer. He shouldn't have anything Lucas doesn't think he should have. Period. It doesn't say ZFL, does it?
  13. Captain-Atreides Jedi Knight

star 1
    it was clone wars not clone war......zahns stuff could fit in before or after AOTC
  14. chissdude10 Jedi Youngling

star 5
    Fat chance Lucas will put it in though...
  15. JadedofMara Jedi Master

star 4
    The only person who's ideals one would worry about it being contradicted are LUCAS'.

There are ways to fit the Clone War stuff into the movies, im sure. And WHY should George feel like he has to use Zahn's stuff...its his universe.

And...Zahn has never been that outspoken. He has no ID here, unlike many authors, and never spoke up at all about TPM, did he?
  16. barnsthefatjedi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Yep fat chance, chissdude. Pretty cool, eh? When it comes to the prequels, Zahn is nothing. [face_mischief]
  17. Sturm Antilles Former Manager

star 6
    Besides being a little off on some dating that was later corrected anyway, so far, Zahn's Clone Wars-era material ( as flashbacks or past information ) is 100% jiving with AotC. And I know, since I'm a spoiler junkie.

But yes, Lucas can change anything he wants.
  18. Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Barns, I find myself noding in agreement with you. . . for once. ;)

Lets hope it doesn't happen again.
  19. TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff

VIP
    star 5
    Really, why should Zhan have anymore in put then Duffy, Goodwin, Stackpole, or any of a dozen other EU authors? Lucas came up with the story for TPM pretty much all on his own, why should he turn to an EU author for help now? I also agree with Dev, you can't read that much into it. You could also say that he's been silent because he's deep in discussions with Lucas about EPIII, but that's just as unlikely and absurd.

Anyway, it looks as though LFL is working to bind all the EU's information on the Clone Wars together with the film, so that's good.

TC
  20. Kier_Nimmion Jedi Grand Master

star 5

I guess what I don't understand is why people think Zahn carries that much weight that he should even be a consideration to lead the way through the movies. And if Episode II, II, IV through XXXVIII contradict his ideals, who cares?

21. ParanoidAni-droid Jedi Master

star 4

He doesn't deserve any more privledge than the next EU author. However, I would like to see him take a crack at the PT. (Hopefully there he won't disrupt any continuity. ;) ) But no more post-OT enstallments, please.

~PAd

22. Sturm Antilles Former Manager

star 6
    I think that people associate Zahn with the preuquel era because in the Thrawn Trilogy, he introduced the idea of cloned soldiers, the Dreadnaughts and Katana Fleet, Palpatine's exploits as a Senator, the Outbound Flight Project, various Jedi missions, Dark Jedi, C'baoth...and it kind of offered a glimpse of what the era was like, much like the words of Obi-Wan and Yoda in the films.

It all seemed to kind of stew in people's heads, and then when the actual movies come along, people say, "Hey...where are the Dreadnaughts and AT-PT walkers...and the Spaarti cylinders...and Dark Jedi?" Or, "Hey this is/isn't contradicted...crap/cool!"

This subconcious expectation is heaped upon other long-standing EU sources as well. "Where are the Mandalorians fighting thousands of Jedi?" ( Marvel comics. )
  23. Xanakh Jedi Knight

star 1
    ::Lucas came up with the story for TPM pretty much all on his own::

I won't even touch that one :p :)
  24. darthjarjarbinks Force Ghost

star 4
    JadeofMara: "WHY should George feel like he has to use Zahn's stuff...its his universe."

If GL totally disregards and contradicts elements of the EU written by author's writing under his permission, its a shameful thing- and he does it rampantly.

I'm not saying its not his right- it very much is considering its his creation, his intellectual property.

I'm just saying, its unethical and almost selfish (IMHO) to pay someone to write for you, have the fans take that in and then to completely ignore it and contradict it.

If he's not going to be bothered to officially endorse and abide by things written in his universe, he shouldn't give out the license for author's to play around in his universe to begin with.

But the Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away.

(NB: I have NEVER been one to bad mouth GL, or call him greedy or only interested in the $$. I have no opinion on this, and really don't care at all. Just saying, I'm in no way a GL-basher; he created this huge part of my life and the lives of thousands of other hardline fans and millions of viewers alike. )
  25. Tiershon_Fett Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    That's true. Like I said I my other thread, it's no writer's fault if they get contradicted.

More than ten years ago TTT came out, and we were all grateful. They didn't know if there would ever be a PT. So, it's not their fault and things change and evovle. Some things I'm sure just can't be done for sheer cost. GL says he'll never spend more than "X" amount of dollars. So, they all have to work within some limitations.

Also, IMHO, if you make movies, if you go through the trouble, then it should something completely new, not a story we already know. That's pointless to make. Nothing is cheap anymore, and why do a trilogy you already know everything about?

(Don't say LOTR, because they could never make it until now. It would have cost billions to do it before CGI.)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.