main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Zahns silence on 2, is it contridicting his ideals?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by chissdude10, Mar 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    <<and you'll see that almost all of you oh your names to Zahn! Chissdude, _TenelKa_, Jedi_Jaina_Durron_, Jag_Fel I could go on forever. For crying out loud, Coruscant wouldn't be coruscant >>

Tenel Ka was invented by Kevin Anderson and Jag Fel was invented by Mike Stackpole ...

And GL created the capital city-planet. It's still not 100% which one invented the name ...

wk

2. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Resolute...
    "We all owe Zahn the respect he deserves..."

I have never given Timothy Zahn any less (as well as more) respect or acknowledgement than he has deserved. IMO, the same cannot be said of others, though (especially with respect to giving him more acknowledgement than he's deserved - as evidenced here in this thread).

3. CeeWulf

CeeWulf Jedi Master star 4

Feb 15, 2002
    Kier wrote:

I wasn't aware Zahn named or even created the twins. And honestly, no Mara jade would not cause me to lose sleep, though I must admit, I like Talon Kaarde best of all of Zahn's characters.

Actually, he did. He named them and created them his original trilogy. I recall he explained in an interview somewhere how he came up with the names, and how he mirrored them with the way Lucas named Luke and Leia.

4. Kier_Nimmion

Kier_Nimmion Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 9, 2000

I sit corrected.

5. darthjarjarbinks

darthjarjarbinks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 3, 2000
    I was just about to point that out. Unfortunately, I can't agree with all that ceewulf says...

"I'm sure the writers are told ahead of time or understand that, since Lucas is writing the prequels, that idea or notions developed in the books may be contradicted. It's Lucas' creation, and he is NOT beholden to other writers on what he can or cannot do. "

"I'm not saying he shouldn't blatently contradicts events for the heck of it, but if he has a good idea then he should go with it. If it contradicts, so be it. It's his universe and he has the right to do what he wants."

you're obviously not reading the same posts that i'm writing.

Also, whats that comment about extreme extreme whatever meant to mean>?

6. RaptorRage

RaptorRage Jedi Master star 4

Nov 17, 2001
    If Lucas would contradict his own movies with the minor plot-altering additions in the Special Editions, I'd think he wouldn't even blink at contradicting the EU authors...

7. CeeWulf

CeeWulf Jedi Master star 4

Feb 15, 2002
    darthjarjar, I was questioning the severity of your statements that if Lucas contradicts EU information, it is "unethical."

I think, above all else, Lucas protects the idea that he has the freedom to do what he wants with the universe he created, and it all starts with his films. There is nothing at all wrong with that, and if he contradicts something because he has decided to take the films in a particular direction, then he had every right to do so.

In response, the editors of the EU simply need to make adjustments. But, I've never seen any occurance where Lucas has so contradicted something to cause that big of a problem.

8. Tiershon_Fett

Tiershon_Fett Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    Actually, he did. He named them and created them his original trilogy. I recall he explained in an interview somewhere how he came up with the names, and how he mirrored them with the way Lucas named Luke and Leia.

Actually, I have always hated matching names for twins. It's awful. Even worse with identical twins. Sheri and Teri, Lenny and Larry. It's like having pets or something. Why do people do this?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.