Zam Wesell costume

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Raef_Wolfe, Nov 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Commander-DWH
  1. Raef_Wolfe Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm going to try and make a Zam Wesell costume for a long time project.

I know the following:

-The main body covering is a one piece (it appears to be one piece, but I think I'll make it two) somewhat skintight purple body suit.

-The skirt is only half the way around, made of leather, but I can't afford leather, so I'm going to make it out of something different. It's made out of squares sewn together. Anyone know how many?

-The cloth viel over the lower part of her mouth apears to be fuzzy in texture, but doesn't look like velvet. It looks the same as the stuff around her neck. Is it? Any ideas on fabric?

I'm not entirely sure about the rest, though some things are obviously going to need to be a little difficult (helmet, weapon, brooch, ect)
  2. foxbatkllr Jedi Grand Master

star 6
  3. ZamIAm Jedi Knight

star 1
    My site too! my site too!

:D zam i am at your service :)
  4. foxbatkllr Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Yes of course, how could I forget. Pay attention to everything and anything ZamIAm says when it comes to Zam's costume.

Edit: While you're here ZamIAm, is there any of that custom ordered bodysuit material left or any chance of getting some more made?
  5. Raef_Wolfe Jedi Master

star 4
    I saw www.zam-wesell.com, but the pics are of very sketchy and poor quality, not good for seeing details. I'll look at the other ones in a minute :)

I looked everywhere for ZamIAm, haveing seen your name mentioned a lot, but couldn't find ya :)

Edit:

Look at ZamIAm's forum. Hehe, now I have more questions that I started with :p Ah well. Will keep reading!
  6. HothGirl Jedi Knight

star 3
    Actually, if you poke around on the Zam site, I believe you can still get a CD of reference pics from the exhibit in Australia. They're wonderful, high-res images - for the picky detail-crazy costumer. ;)

But be warned, if done correctly this costume can get very expensive.
  7. Raef_Wolfe Jedi Master

star 4
    It's more of a long term project than a quick thing for the next event :)

I know where all my money from this Christmas is going!!! :D:D:D

Ah, I wasn't aware of that. I'll still look around for images :)

What did you make all the gadgets, such as her brooch and ect, out of? And are there any patterns I could use to get me started?
  8. ZamIAm Jedi Knight

star 1
    Sorry my site http://zamiam.home.comcast.net isn't highly publicised or does an easy google search. I guess I need to buy the domain.

Unfortunately, I don't have anymore of that Neoprene laminated lycra. But, I still have some lycra left (without the neoprene) that was dye matched to the actual Magic of Myth displayed Costume. Big problemo with that though, you will not be able to make a two piece under suit with it. It would have to be a unitard with black lycra sewn in the center. You would also have to make your own pattern. The many reasons amount to the fact that lycra by itself acts like swim wear, it constantly rides up etc if it was a two piece. When it is backed with neoprene, it acts more like denim with some stretch. But neoprene is more sensitive to body heat. Neoprene is a whole nuther beast when it comes to care too, let alone sewing. IF i were to make another run of this fabric which is highly unlikely, (due to the fact that I lost a lot of money doing it the first time,) i would have to get at least 14 people to sign up again. I am not to thrilled about making another list and dealing with the US postal service with boxes 5 feet tall. I think that there were like 2 other people interested the last time I checked back in June. And, most wound up obtaining some of the fabric anyways (from people who wanted to drop out of zam costuming and use their money for other purposes.)
    I only have 6 yards of the dye-matched lycra left. If you are interested, pm me.
    As for the small parts or Greeblies...pm me about help with that as well. I sculpted my pieces myself and then casted them in resin. I bought the broach from someone else. Everything else my hubby and I made ourselves by hand with the exception of the gaunts, helm, blaster and shin shells. Oh, and last question about the HI-REZ pics. Read the stuck thread at the top of the forum. BUT! you MUST MUST MUST read everything on Thedentedhelmet zam forumbefore starting your costume. I cannot stress to you how much research we have done on there and effort shopping all around the world for parts to this costume, if you want it done right. If you want a less expensive one, that can happen, it won't be as accurate, but it can still have the "look," as with any costume. Happy Zamming, and join up with the tdh, I check stuff on there everyday because I am one of the moderators as is Dustin Crops Boy (the owner of www.zam-wesell.com). :D
  9. Raef_Wolfe Jedi Master

star 4
    I saw TDH...was a major help...now all I have to do is write myself a summary instead of going through 4 pages of different posts everytime I need an answer ;)
  10. foxbatkllr Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Well the girl I was trying to get to be Zam decided she wants to do Aayla Secura instead. I will keep looking for someone in my area who wants to be Zam though...so many cool potential photo ops alongside my Jango...
  11. ZamIAm Jedi Knight

star 1
    Yeah! I had so much fun taking these pics at Dragon Con...
    ZamIAm's Collage
    So, when are ya going to Farpoint in Hunt Valley, MD? I hope to be there dude! More photo ops would be fun.:D Ahh, alas, Too bad you are in California. Oh, Better yet, make sure you get in touch with KimnCris on the TDH. Kim is in California with a zam, you two would have a blast with the 501st pics.
  12. foxbatkllr Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Yeah I know about KimnCris, but I haven't been to many 501st events. I'm going to start attending more events though. Part of the problem is that most of the events like hospital visits are in the morning on weekdays when I usually have something else going on. At SD Comic-Con there were no Zams...but I only had my custom mandalorian anyways (which was a good thing because when Arturo is around you're always the 2nd best Jango...so I got more attention than if I was plain Jango).
Moderators: Commander-DWH
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.