main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Zaphod Beeblebrox presents The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Grand_Admiral_Grant, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grand_Admiral_Grant

Grand_Admiral_Grant Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 30, 2004
    One of the best SciFi movies ever. I cant wait to get my hands on the dvd with the latest version
    :D

2. AmberStarbright

AmberStarbright Jedi Grand Master star 7

Dec 20, 2002
    I have the DVD. I enjoyed the movie although I think I prefered the tv series to the movie. Although the tv series didn't have Alan Rickman who was a very good depressed Marvin :p

3. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    I enjoyed the movie enough to purchase the DVD and watch it a few times - I thought it was hilarious although I've never read the books. (Waits to be crushed by Books and Comics mods. :p)

4. AmberStarbright

AmberStarbright Jedi Grand Master star 7

Dec 20, 2002
    Don't worry, I haven't either. I just saw the tv version before the movie :p

5. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    I thought they nailed Marvin and Slartiblartfast. The rest, I could take it or leave it really.

6. SBD-518

SBD-518 Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 10, 2005
    I read the books. Watching the movies will ruin it for me.

7. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    Alan Rickman as Marvin was brilliant. No one can do a manically depressed robot better. :p

I saw the movie before I read the books and had no idea what it was about, but I found the movie extremely hilarious. And now that I've read the books too, I find them histerically funny as well!

8. edgejedi88

edgejedi88 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 13, 2005
    ...I loved the old TV series...watched it as a kid....Marvin just made me cry though in the movie....I cringed for him....however, I cringed for Marvin in the books and radio play too - especially when he lost his leg and ended up talking to a matress (I think?).

Guess I must be in the Marvin Appreciation Club? How very depressing....[face_tired]

9. JediMasterGuff

JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 18, 2002
    The movie was OK. Nothing special.

Alan Rickman was perfect as Marvin, but I just didn't like the design of the robot. I don't see the purpose of the giant head. Same goes for their spaceship, The Heart of Gold, I just didn't like the "giant sphere" design. Wasn't too fond of Mos Def either.
    And the final thing that bothered me was the fact that Earth 2 started exactly where the last one was destroyed, thus ruling out the pre-historic storyline from the sequels, and therefore ruling out sequels :(

Other than that, an entertaining film...just nothing compared the books. This is probably due to the fact that it was Adam's hilarious unique narrative that makes the books so funny, whch obviously can't be transferred to the film very well, with the exception of the scenes with the Guide talking (Stephen Fry, might I add, was absolutely fantastic).

On another note, my cousin dated the daughter of the original Ford Prefect.

10. edgejedi88

May 13, 2005
    ..now theres a way to a mans heart!

Hope he took his towel along on dates? o_O

11. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    He carried the weight of the world on his shoulders, and also a nod to "a brain the size of a planet".

But I really disliked the movie. The jokes had all been removed from the script. :( I barely smiled, letalone laughed.

I also dislike Marvin being referred to as Paranoid (simply because it rhymes with "Android"). Nowhere does Marvin exhibit paranoia.

12. edgejedi88

May 13, 2005
    The people who decided to call Marvin, for 'PC-ness' of course, the "manically depressed robot" and not the 'Paranoid Android' are "a bunch of mindless jerks who'll be the first against the wall when the revolution comes."

Life... don't talk to me about life.

13. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    I own all incarnations of Hitchhiker's.

The radio scripts, the movie, the original show, the radio show, the book.... Yeah!

Zaphod in the movie was wild, but he needed the voice of the original Zaphod. Marvin rocks too!

14. yodaboy

yodaboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 5, 2001
    Not really, because when they're on prehistoric earth its because they traveled back in time to when earth 1 was still around. Although I don't think it was explicitely stated, I think that Earth Mark 2 was never deployed.

I reallyed enjoyed the movie, despite being different than what I thought it would be. I thought all the main characters (Ford, Arthur, Zaphod, Trillian and Marvin) were spot on, I absolutely fell in love with Trillian (although it took me a viewing or two to get used to Ford), but what were they thinking with Marvin's body? Ugh! I think what I heard is that it unfortunately didn't do well enough for a sequel, although I've still got hope until I hear an official word. I've read that since Adams worked very closely with the script until he died and they used a lot of his planning, they know where to take the story if a sequel is made because he left notes on that.

15. Get_in_Gear

Get_in_Gear Jedi Youngling star 5

Nov 29, 2004
    The TV series is the definitive version as far as I'm concerned...
    Enjoyed the film though.

16. Tanya_R

Tanya_R Jedi Youngling

Dec 16, 2005
    Nice film) Smart and full of humour dolphin song in the beginning makes the whole mood of the film.
    I wish I could read the book first)

17. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    I don't like the joke they make at the end... 'The restaurant is in the other direction.' Because ya know, time doesn't go left or right.

Or maybe that was the joke? :confused:

18. Queen_Pixie

Queen_Pixie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 20, 1999
    Everton-you haven't read the books, have you? That was a joke, which is a nice, convenient open end for the next book in the "trilogy", in case it's made into a movie.

For me, the movie was better than I expected.

And it is Marvin who ends up walking around in circles with a mattress. But, it happens in "Life, the Universe, and Everything".

19. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Yes.

I'm carping on about the joke itself. Time doesn't have a left or right. So it's either a mistake, or a joke on a joke.

20. edgejedi88

May 13, 2005
    ..someone please pass the babelfish....?

[image=http://www.mustardweb.org/mustardpics/issue4/babelfish.gif]

21. Queen_Pixie

Queen_Pixie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 20, 1999
    Joke on a joke, the whole "Restaurant at the end of the Universe", which really, couldn't happen, because the end of the universe wouldn't keep repeating itself(iirc, that is, I lost the "trilogy" in a flood a few years ago, and haven't had the chance to replace the books yet). That's part of the beauty of the books, gotta love British humor.

22. edgejedi88

May 13, 2005
    yes - us Brits are great arent we?

just a shame not many people understand our humour...

Anyone for [face_coffee]

23. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    The restaurant is at the other end joke?

Instead of the edge of the universe, they literally mean the end of the universe.

Thus, "the other end of the universe".

That is the joke, Everton. It's not about time, it's more akin to a pun.

24. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Well if the line used is indeed "the other end" (and I honestly don't recall) then that's as good an explanation as any.

25. edgejedi88

May 13, 2005
    "Why should he want to make anything up? Life's bad enough as it is without trying to invent any more of it." [face_laugh]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.