Zapp Branigan Costume

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by GreekGodChaos1234, Dec 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GreekGodChaos1234 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Hi, my little bro wants a Futurama Zapp Branigan costume, can anyone help me out? I am wonering if anyone made one here, but i would like some help, thanks.
  2. qui-gundi_15 Jedi Master

star 4
    how old is your little bro cuase i hope he is willing to go commando.
  3. Kif Jedi Padawan

4. LadySonnet Jedi Knight

star 1
    I haven't made one, but just make sure to make it out of velour!

Sonnet
  5. Smiling-Otter Jedi Knight

star 3
    If we're gonna start making Futurama outfits (and I think someone over at the RPF has a decent Bender costume) then I want to see/make "Lur, from Omicron Persei 8." (If I were skinny, I'd be all over the Robot Devil costume.)

6. surlygirlie Manager Emeritus

star 4
    Oh, now you've hit on a true love of mine... Futurama. sigh.
    Definitely velour.
    Since it's a cartoon and the animators don't have to think of logistical things like how a person would actually put on what they draw, there is no visible closure to the tunic. You can either make it out of a fabric with some stretch so it can be pulled on (I'd line it with another stretchy fabric, too, to beef it up), or you can pick an inconspicuous spot to put in a zipper or other closure (this is one of those times where an invisible zipper will really help you preserve the look of the character without it looking like, well, a zipper).

Pattern wise, a good place to start might be Simplicity 5574, but it will need a fair amount of altering to work. You'd need to draft out the center front and back seams, and extend the length of the doublet to make it Zapp's signature mini-skirted look. There are some shoulder accents on that doublet which could be enlarged just a bit to producs Zapp's, and then the additional sleeve and shoulder details could be appliquéd on.

The belt, gloves, and boots can most likely be assembled using thrift store finds and customizing them to suit your needs, or you can always scratch build...

in any case, don't forget the truss!

7. Darth_Fairacon Jedi Master

star 1
    You do realize that Zap doesn't wear pants or underwear right??

That's the main reason Kiff can't stand to follow him up ladders...

Just throwing that out there...

<grin>

Todd
    DF

8. GreekGodChaos1234 Jedi Knight

star 3
    all i can say is that he knows that he dosent wear underwear, but he has some tan sweat pants he wares. so ya.
  9. Scruff Jedi Master

star 4
    If he's insistant on wearing some sort of pants, they should at least be skin tight. Sweat pants won't look right.
  10. Ellbobin Jedi Master

star 4
  11. HanJones Force Ghost

star 2
  12. wraith13 Force Ghost

star 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.