main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Zarqawi killing

Discussion in 'Archive: London UK' started by JunoirVader, Jun 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JunoirVader

JunoirVader Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 23, 2004
    Right, I'm currently on a rant about this, so I thought I'd make a post.

I had the news on just now, and was watching about the Zarqawi killing. Basically, for if you don't know, the US air force destroyed his house with him inside. IMO, they went over the top by using 2 air strikes.
    But the stupidest thing is, they didn't stop to think there could be another way. I heard them say that Al-Qaeda will probably avenge his death with some bombing this coming week.
    So they killed 1 guy, and the consiquence is that hundreds of innocent civilians will be killed.
    Bravo US. :oops:

Opinions?

2. Darth_Konikus

Darth_Konikus Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 10, 2005
    From the point of view of a squaddie, I think its about time they started taking a more direct aproach and think that they have for once, used the correct amount of force where it was nescessary. Its all well and good saying that there may have been other ways to deal with this, but those other ways cost time, money and the lives of service men and women. If they had waited around to use a less aggressive aproach, the only result they would have got would be the target not being there anymore and that would only go in the terrorists favour. Yes, some civillians may have died, but we are at war with Al Qaeda and all you have to do is look at Northern Ireland to see the effects of 'waiting for a less aggressive option'. You end up with a 30 year conflict against an enemy you cannot see. The Americans approach is not perfect and innocent people may die, but at least they are being pro-active and in the long run at the expense of a few hundred lives, may save thousands if not tens of thousands.

All that said, Im a squaddie and have a very biased viewpoint. And I still do not condone George Bush taking on the role of World Police Govenor General. The bloke is a moron. Watch 2DTV and you will see what I mean. He takes his advice from a sock.

3. Kiz-Joa_Janall

Kiz-Joa_Janall Jedi Youngling star 2

May 14, 2005
    Team America, that's all I have to say on the matter.

4. JunoirVader

Aug 23, 2004
    [face_laugh]

Well, it's good at least you think that, as I started to think you liked him. I guess you're right, but I think they could've used a tank or something. I mean, it would've been just as obvious, 2 fighter jets or a tank kinda make the same level of noise, possibly the fighter jet more.
    Good to hear your opinion, I'm quite changed on the subject now.

5. Kassy

Kassy Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 20, 2005
    Never negotiate with terrorists

6. DARKSHREDI

DARKSHREDI Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 5, 2001
    **** Yeah.

7. Tethys

Tethys Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 30, 2005
    Time seems to move much quicker in a montage...

8. JunoirVader

Aug 23, 2004
    Damn, I missed!

Actually, it's like that bit. 2 air strikes for 1 terrorist.

9. timbolton

timbolton Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 14, 2003
    I know it's great they got one of the nastiest men this world has seen recently, and that's all good. But if they killed civilians doing it ... well that is all bad. What if you lived next door to someone the army needed to blow up, and you were collateral damage, for the greater good, or your family were? I can't be happy with any result like that. If we are the good guys, then we don't kill innocents. They may have not known who was living next door, then again they may have supported and helped him. We don't know. And how many times have these people been bombed and declared dead, then to turn up later, alive and well. Never the best policy to win the support of a country in turmoil.

And I do understand the squaddie view, and appreciate it. It's your friends dying out there for what seems ungrateful people. It's just any death of civilians should not be celebrated openly no matter who else was killed for the good of the planet, that is my honest heartfelt opinion. There is just too much death.

10. Tethys

Sep 30, 2005
    I completely agree with Tim Bolton. Although this being a Star Wars forum, I guess I'd have to point out the irony in his comments, given the Death Star speech in Chasing Amy/Clerks (can't remember which). Yes I know guys, Zarqawi is fact, SW is fiction. Just thought I'd point it out. Rebels were the good guys too.

11. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
    Thing is, Star Wars is space opera (a great fantasy story based on the bare bones of our mythological origins), but it can also be labelled Science fiction, and the role of sci-fi more often than not is nod towards where current society is, where it may go, but always focused on just where we will go wrong (or right). So SW and real world is always open for discussion on here.

My sister-in-law is Turkish, and a Muslim, she's a little crazy yeah lol, but doesn't make her anywhere like these people who hide behind the morality of religion as ane excuse for pathetic behaviour towards the rest of humanity.

Anyways, I have no idea where this is going, so I'll stop lol :p

12. Tethys

Sep 30, 2005
    Really? Didn't know that. Wow. I mean, I talk about SW like its true anyway (at least I'm told I do) but its nice to know I'm not talking total rubbish (was going to swear then but didn't!).

13. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
    You're welcome :)
    And yeah, don't be swearing on my watch. I have powers worse than the Force on here. They just don't work half the time ... ok, all the time :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.