Zar's Costume Idea!

Discussion in 'Ventura County, CA' started by Zaranne, Aug 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zaranne Force Ghost

star 4
    Well, people, I finally figured out what costume I'm going to make...and my NEW icon should be an indication.

Balista Shan...and I'm going to make the outfit that she's wearing on the advertisement poster for "Knights of the Old Republic".

Now how's that for an idea for me!

Oh, and YJ, she carries a double light saber...so I'll need help making one, if you don't mind...

:D
  2. Dark_Jedi_Kam Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Zar, that sounds like a great idea. Have you tried Big Yellow Box? They have a cool double bladed design. I used their designs to make my Lightsaber

If I can help let me know

3. Zaranne Force Ghost

star 4
    That's too cool! I'll have to check them out! And I love Balista's outfit...and I really think I can pull it off. GB and Reka should be able to help me with the leather stuff, should I get stuck.

As for the saber, I will have to have help that. I do fabrics, not metal...
  4. Dark_Jedi_Kam Jedi Grand Master

star 5
  5. Zaranne Force Ghost

star 4
    That looks pretty nice! But I'm such a novice when it comes light sabers...I don't know what I would need...or want!
  6. Keiran_Horn Jedi Master

star 4
    Looks like someone likes Knights of the Old Republic...

I think that costume will be really cool Zar! :)
  7. Zaranne Force Ghost

star 4
    Notice the new icon, too?

Anyway, I really like the cover of the box...Balista looks awesome on it!

Now if I could just figure out how to get one of the ad posters...that shows GREAT detail of her outfit!
  8. Keiran_Horn Jedi Master

star 4
    I'll look around for pics. I think I got a KOTOR poster in one of my magazines, but I am not sure.
  9. Zaranne Force Ghost

star 4
    Awesome, Kieran...I'd just need to make a copy of her...I can go from there.
  10. Keiran_Horn Jedi Master

star 4
    Here is one rather nice pic from the LucasArts website. :)

Bastila Shan

EDIT: Also, I would be happy to help you with the lightsaber Zar. Big Yellow Box is a great resource. I was thinking of building my own lightsaber using their instructions, but, well, that went out the window after Comic-Con...
  11. Zaranne Force Ghost

star 4
    That's awesome, Keiran! Perfect! Just what I was looking for! I'm so excited!

And I was perusing thru your "journal" and I wanted to mention that my husband's favorite author is Chuck...in fact, that's the style of writing he would like to emulate! You have cool tastes, dude!
  12. Keiran_Horn Jedi Master

star 4
    YAY!! Chuck rules! I would try to emulate his writing style myself, but I would never do it justice. :)
  13. Dark_Jedi_Kam Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    that is an awsome pic Keiran. good idea for a costume Zar
  14. Zaranne Force Ghost

star 4
    And my daughter lives in Bend, Oregon, Kieran...if you get the reference!

Hey, there, Kam, good to see ya...and isn't that a great pic Kieran got for me? It'll be perfect!
  15. Keiran_Horn Jedi Master

star 4
    Oh, I get it. :)

I just picked up Chuck's new non-fiction book today, and the urge to read it is overwelming. :_|

I need to save it for the flight back though. :)
  16. GentleBant Force Ghost

star 5
    Can't wait to see how this goes, Zar!
  17. Keiran_Horn Jedi Master

star 4
    GB is back!! Rejoice!!
  18. YoungJedi11 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    A double saber sounds like an interesting challenge, and I'd love to help you.

However, you changed your icon, and I no longer know who you are.
  19. Nassik_jedi Jedi Padawan

As for what you might like or want in a lightsabre design I suggest that you pour through the internet and find as many pictures of lightsabres that you can find. Some good references for this are Lightsabers from the Big Yellow Box, Parks Sabers, Lightech, Obi wan's Jedi Academy, RLSA Sabers, and others. I realize that many of the sites that you may come across will display lightsabres that require machining and other special tools and supplies but that isn't the point.
    The point is to see what elements others have incorporated into the design of the lightsabre and then to decide if any of those things can apply to you. After all, the first step is to discover what is possible, nothing more.
    More than likely this lightsabre will be personally constructed (no use of a metal fabricating shop) and so there will be inevitable restrictions as to what you can accomplish with this lightsabre. The truth of it is that restrictions are simply a key to greater creativity ;) Many people simply stroll into their local hardware store and start browsing through the plumbing section and picking up odds and ends that they think might look neat together. This approach can work and does for a great many people, but I suggest sitting down and simply sketching out a few rough ideas before you run off to start gathering lightsabre components. For a double-ended lightsabre you have two main decisions to make: 1. Will your emitters be external or internal (the emitter is where the "blade" emerges from the lightsabre [external emitters look similar to the ends of Obi wan Kenobi's lightsabres while internal emitters have shrouds (look at Anakin Skywalker's lightsabres to see the emitter shrouds)]. And 2. Will your lightsabre possess one activation switch or two (activation switches (the buttons that turn the lightsabre on [there are two known types of switches, the push buttons from the prequel lightsabres and the box switches from the classic trilogy]).
    Other than those two things you'll want two knobs to adjust the blade power (one knob for each blade). Other than those basic double-bladed lightsabre necessities you can do just about anything you like. I just wanted to outline the bare basics for you. If you felt the need you could give the double-bladed lightsabre the ability to separate into two separate lightsabres and/or you could provide a way to attach the lightsabre to a belt (using the Covertec clip of the prequels or the D-rings of the classic trilogy).
    Creating your own lightsabre is a truly special and unique experience and is far more satisfying than buying a lightsabre from someone else (after all, all jedi are required to build their own lightsabre as a part of their jedi training [or at least they must design it ;) ]). But buying a pre-built lightsabre is always an option.
    My strongest suggestion to you is to sit down and draw lightsabres for a little while and search the internet for every reference photo and picture that you can find. After a while of looking you'll start to see ideas that you like and the ideas for your lightsabre will start to form in your imagination. Believe me, the lightsabre will be easier to build once you know how it's supposed to look.
    If I can be of assistance in any way as you work on the design of your lightsabre please feel free to let me know and I will be more than happy to help.
  20. Zaranne Force Ghost

star 4
    YJ, I changed my icon TO Bastila Shan, very similar face, but looking AT you...the last one made me look like I wistfully looking at the poster before me...which was usually Tobey-Wan...so let's just not got there, eh? And I need all the help I can get on the lightsaber...

Thanks for the info, Nassik, that should help me a lot!
  21. YoungJedi11 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Zar: Oh, heh heh.

Nassik: Wowsa.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.