main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Zayne Carrick- Revan?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Charlemagne19, Jul 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Here's my theory.

Revan=Revenge/Retribution.

This is all about Zayne's purpose in life.

Revan studied under multiple masters.

There's plenty of opportunity for Zayne too now.

Revan gained power as he killed people

Zayne's empathy would allow him that ability.

Revan lead the first reaction against the Mandalorians

Zayne was the first Jedi to strike back, blowing up a Mandalorian base.

Revan was headstrong and arrogant

That describes Zayne Carrick very well.

Revan had a sense of humor

Clearly, Zayne Carrick seems to like that.

Carth seems to instantly trust the Revan onboard the Republic flagship---why not if he knows him from before?

Think of it, who would be the last person you'd suspect to be the Dark Lord?

Revan had the weird capacity to wander into bizarre situations left and right

Ditto Zayne.

There's plenty of time for Zayne to continue to bulk up as he wages his war against the mandalorians. Recall, it's not until several years after the destruction of the Cathar that Revan leads his crusade.

2. RafVader

RafVader Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 1, 2007
    I can see your point but there is the Malak issue. Revan and Malak were friends or companions during their Jedi years in Dantooine. We're not seeing that at the moment. All of Zayne's friends were killed. So if Zayne is Revan, who is Malak?

3. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    If Alek is the case then there's plenty of time for Zayne to go back to Dantooine and meet with the man whose life he saved. Certainly, the two were friends for their shared encounter on Flashpoint Station. It's natural to assume they might renew their acquaintanceship once Zayne clears his name of any wrongdoing.

That's assuming that someone that Zayne already knew back on Dantooine isn't Malak already.

Also, another piece of evidence.

Destroyer of Worlds

Could refer to Malak, Nihilus, the Exile (whom Zayne might meet in the future), or Revan himself for what he ordered.

Let's not forget the "Destroyer of Worlds" might be Malak since they're on Tarsis and it was he who destroyed it.

4. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    It's possible, and you bring up a good point about the humor (Even if it is not Zayne, the character shouldn't be super serious. Revan's humor is one of my favorite aspects of the character. He is the only Sith Lord I can think of who seemed to have a genuine sense of humor, and after he lost his memory, it was still quite good.), but in the end, I'm one of the people who thinks in the end, Zayne should just be Zayne. He is a really great character already, and I think that forcing him to be someone would if anything cheapen the character. That's not to say I wouldn't mind him ending up being surrounded by a lot of heros and villains of the KOTOR games :p

5. 000

000 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 18, 2005
    Already been proposed, ridiculed, and forgotten.

Moving on.

6. Furyan_Jedi_13

Furyan_Jedi_13 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 6, 2007
    No, I don't think so. Sorry.

7. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I find it more probable than they're going to turn a light hearted and enjoyably humorous character into a soulless planet eater.

:p

8. jacemathem

jacemathem Jedi Master star 5

Oct 3, 2003
    If Zayne was Revan, by your own point about Carth, shouldn't Carth be recognizing and calling the PC in KOTOR by the name, "Zayne"?

No. Instead, he has no idea who he is in the beginning.

9. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Who says he's not.

I get to choose his name.

;-)

10. jacemathem

Oct 3, 2003
    So do I. And I chose another name. :p

Anyways, the Padawan Massacre of Taris was only 1 year before Revan (who is an already established leading figure in the Jedi Order) heads the Jedi Crusaders into the Mandalorian Wars. Plus, Revan was trained by Kreia, Dorak, Zhar and Arren Kae, while Zayne Carrick was trained by Lucien Draay and Vandar.

11. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    I think you throw out the customizing asspect of the game if Dark Horse makes him a certain character. We all know who Revan is, he or she is who we made in the game.

12. jacemathem

Oct 3, 2003
    Exactly. Hence why I'm suspecting Revan may be the hooded figure we've seen a few times now:

[image=http://images3.wikia.com/starwars/images/thumb/4/40/Hooded_jedi.jpg/446px-Hooded_jedi.jpg]
    [image=http://images4.wikia.com/starwars/images/thumb/9/96/Hoodedjediandalek.jpg/600px-Hoodedjediandalek.jpg]

13. dizfactor

dizfactor Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 12, 2002
    But they've already thrown out the customizable aspects of both Revan and the Exile. We know that Revan is canonically a light side male and the Exile is canonically a light side female. There's no reason to expect that there's not going to be any further definition to the character.

14. jacemathem

Oct 3, 2003
    ...like giving the Exile a name?

15. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Revan is from the game, so is the Exile. Dark Horse has enough characters to play with without screwing that up in a comic. If they established something as canon they made a mistake. Lets get a third game and figure it all out.
    Using Dark Horse's history in the game was great but I don't think they would want the game writers inserting Bane or Ulic or Exar Kun and changing their stories to whatever whim the game writer was feeling at the time. Let Revan be who we built, same with the Exile. Dark horse should tip toe around that timeline. Use the Revan character just like the game did, so it could be anyone under the hood.

16. dizfactor

Aug 12, 2002
    Dark Horse didn't do it. Lucasfilm did. They consciously decided to make one version of Revan canon.

You realize that this battle was lost two years ago, right? It's no longer a question about what they should do, it's been done for a while.

17. QuentinGeorge

QuentinGeorge Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 12, 2003

Using Dark Horse's history in the game was great but I don't think they would want the game writers inserting Bane or Ulic or Exar Kun and changing their stories to whatever whim the game writer was feeling at the time. Let Revan be who we built, same with the Exile. Dark horse should tip toe around that timeline. Use the Revan character just like the game did, so it could be anyone under the hood.

Yeah, sure, they should show the video game characters the same respect that Bioware and Obsidian showed elements derived from the Tales of the Jedi comics.

i.e.

none at all.

18. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    They showed tremendous respect.

Specifically, they weren't able to use Vima Sunrider as Bastilla.

19. dizfactor

Aug 12, 2002
    That was a copyright issue, not a respect issue. Somewhere along the line, LFL lost the rights to use the name "Sunrider," or the characters of Nomi and Vima.

20. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Yes, one of the main TOTJ characters would have been a star.

Without Nomi and Vima Sunrider, what's left to use?

21. Alpha-02

Alpha-02 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    Aside from the derailment I don't think there's any way for Zayne to be Revan, there are too many things that we know about Revan that don't seem to be able to be reconciled with what we know about Zayne.

Revan had a mother and father, parents, ancestors, like all Jedi do. And when he awakened to his potential, I was there to see it. But where he was born, where he came from, I do not know - Kreia

Yet we've clearly seen that Zayne is very aware of his family and given that the Covenant are able to pull strings regarding his father it's reasonable to assume that the Jedi Order is aware of them as well. Certainly someone of the personality of Kreia would have been aware of such a thing, especially given that Revan was her padawan. Maybe she is lying to the Exile, but I see no particular reason why she would lie about this.

There is the issue of Revan being Kreia's padawan when Zayne is Lucien's padawan.

There is also the issue of Carth not recognising Zayne, from what we've seen in the comics so far there is no reason for him not to recognise Zayne/Revan on the Endar Spire. He may not know him as Revan because of the mask, but he certainly knows what Zayne looks like.

Revan is often described as being a very powerful Jedi, whereas Zayne certainly doesn't appear to have anything like that kind of power, he is the least able even among the padawans on Taris. Certainly, he is developing as the series continues, but Revan is already a Jedi Knight by the time he leads the Jedi into the war, Zayne is fast running out of time to reach anything like that level before the Jedi enter the war. Also in this time he would have to seek out many different masters, sometimes with Malak (who he would also have to befriend fairly soon), and learn knowledge from each of them. Essentially I don't think there's enough time for Zayne to evolve from what he is now to what Revan was at the start of the war.

Finally, you have the Hooded Jedi (possibly Revan?) already starting the Jedi involvement in the war on a smaller scale. That Jedi may not be Revan, but Zayne is going to have to get things moving really quickly if he is to be the one who is responsible for leading the Jedi into the war and not the Revanchist Jedi.

Now to go off on a slight tangent, I think the personality of the Exile fits Zayne the best out of any of the game characters. Zayne would have to undergo a massive transformation from happy go lucky, general good guy to become a monster like Nihilus, I think the Exile as a counterpoint to Nihilus fits Zayne much better. I see Zayne with his knowledge of the Mando's being likely to be convinced to join the war effort by a charismatic Revan, rather than leading himself. The force bonding aspect would seem to agree with what we've seen of Zayne thus far as well. Of course, there is the small issue of his sex.

22. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    This is something that certainly isn't an impediment. Zayne Carrick is not a Jedi....yet. If he begins the Mandalorian Crusades then it'll almost certainly be after he's established himself as a powerful figure, defeated his mentors in the Jedi Covenant, and grown exponentially in the power of the Force. If he does all that then he's almost certainly a candidate that many would call a powerful Jedi.

Take note that Zayne Carrick now is unlikely to become Darth Revan. That doesn't mean that he won't in the future when he's had a few years to establish himself and enhance his connection to the Force. Let's not forget Kreia was not his first master either.

*ignites lightsaber of funny* I have my own fanon answer that the reason the Jedi Legends are confused about the Exile's gender is because Zayne Carrick travels with a bunch of motley spacers on a broken down vessel with a hot warrior woman, a sarcastic tech, an HK-assassin droid, and gets into all manner of odd troubles.

So he is the Exile....from a certain point of view.

Now all we need is Atris lusting after his young bod and an affair with Handmaiden to make Jarael jealous!

;-)

23. Alpha-02

Alpha-02 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    I agree, he needs a decent amount of time as a Jedi (as opposed to a fugitive on the run) to become what Revan was. Which is why I added at the end of my comment that Zayne is running out of time to transform from his current self into the Jedi that Revan was by the start of the Mandalorian Wars. In the comics we are already in 3963 BBY, which is the same year in which Revan and Malak led the Jedi into the Mandalorian Wars IIRC. In several years Zayne may be of the calibre that Revan was when he led the Jedi into the wars, but by the time he reaches that power it will be far too late for him to be Revan.

24. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I dunno. Historical records tend to be....spotty about this time. Let's face it, we've seen Jedi became vastly powerful in a very short time too.

25. Jmacq1

Jmacq1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 20, 2005
    None of this conjecture explains one of the very simple (and important) points mentioned above:

If Zayne is Revan, why wouldn't Carth recognize him? It's unlikely he would've changed so much as to be unrecognizable.

To me, Carth's meeting with Zayne pretty much negated any chance of him being Revan later on. Could still be the Exile (if they backtrack on the female thing), or could still be Nihilus (but I doubt it), but Revan seems unlikely.

Personally I'm leaning towards Zayne = Zayne.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.