main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Zayne's World - the EUC home of Zayne Carrick and his Fellowship

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Amon_Amarth, May 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    [face_blush] Yeah - definitely too much of an inside joke. [face_laugh]

KotOR_girl: John was a guest at our local Con this spring and TNPredsFan and I made t-shirts with that Zayne/Jarael picture. We mentioned ? jokingly ? to John that we?d contemplated adding a pic of Shel crossed out, but we thought that might be a little over-the-top. [face_blush] (And then John had entirely too much fun messing with our heads about Zayne/Jarael. [face_laugh] )

wOOT! Along that line, I just got an email from a friend asking what she needs to read to catch up with the KOTOR story after finishing Vector, so yep - it?s working! :D

2. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    Thanks for dropping by, John. :)

Yes, the thing with the arcs sounds logical. Looking forward to the next big story! :D

Indeed it is.
    I have a friend who is a really into comics, but never read any Star Wars series. He decided to pick up Vector because he wanted to know what everyone was talking about and got to like KOTOR character. I saw him in the comic store on Friday getting Flashpoint TPB. :D

3. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    Count me among those snagged by Vector. :p I started reading it partly out of general curiosity and partly to make sure I understood the story arc by the time it got to Legacy, but I quite liked Zayne. He tries so hard to do the right thing. [face_love] I'm going to have to start catching up on the KOTOR story now. Fortunately Trace and TNPredsFan are always quite happy to fill me in on comics info when I get lost. :D (Unless I start 'shipping Zayne/Shel, in which case I think they'd both disown me. :p )

4. TNPredsFan

TNPredsFan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2004
    Gabri: Yay! You've finally seen the light! :D As far as Zayne/Shel goes...[Vader] don't make me destroy you [/Vader].

:p

5. Gabri_Jade

Nov 9, 2002
    First Legacy, now KOTOR, and I just bought the first trade paperback of Rebellion, and then the Vector arc goes to DT. Dark Horse now owns my soul. Or at least my checkbook. Alas. :p

I can't ship Zayne/Shel! I don't know who Shel is!

Yet. [face_batting]

*runs very fast* :p

6. Master_Keralys

Master_Keralys VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 8, 2003
    Shel is a cutie. I like her. Very different from Jarael, but then you've only just met her, so you don't really know who she is, either. (Then again, at some level neither do the rest of us... very mysterious, and very sexy... wait... that last bit wasn't meant to come out. :p )

I do believe my favorite Zayne moment of all time had to be in #27.

"Why would you do this? We're Mandalorians!"

"You're people."

It summed up Zayne so perfectly, summed up his Jediness so perfectly, indeed, summed up what it is to be a Jedi rather perfectly.

:D

Zayne Carrick FTW.

Gabri, you've gone and done it, now. Dark Times' writing is pretty good, and Wheatley's art for The Path to Nowhere is stunning. It's dark (you know, Dark Times and all that?) but very, very good.

- Keralys

7. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I must actually say that, though I haven't read the material featuring Shel, I like Shel better as an idea, mostly because she's pretty unexceptional. She's his friend's sister, an early plain-Jane girlfriend. She's a perfectly normal love interest, and I'm just so tired of the hero always ending up with an "exotic" woman -- a spy, a Jedi, a secret agent, a ridiculously sexy elfin action-woman . . . I love Jarael, and I like Zayne and Jarael together, and won't be that disappointed if they do end up romancing each other, but I really like the Shel dynamic and I'm ready for a change of pace.

8. Gabri_Jade

Nov 9, 2002
    *grins* So you do understand our usual discussions over in the Cade thread. Darned Dark Horse, giving us all these sexy characters to drool over. :p

I really loved that Zayne moment, too. That does say a lot about his character, and definitely makes me want to know him better. :D

I've heard that about DT. I admit that I'm a little nervous on account of hearing people say how well it lives up to its name, but on the other hand, I'm a big fan of angsty fanfic, so hopefully that'll serve as sufficient preparation to handle DT. :p

Honestly, I never disliked comics before Trace got me curious about Legacy, but I never understood the appeal, either. Then I tried Legacy and loved it, then was very impressed with KOTOR's part of Vector, and I've heard such good things about DH's other SW series - I'm really becoming quite a fan. Still very much a newbie, but having lots of fun catching up. :D

9. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Funny how Jarael originally wasn't that sexy, but given the number of custome changes she's gone through in the last couple of years, our image of her has changed a lot over time. Though Jarael was always attractive, it just wasn't extemely obvious until she was stuck in the lap of luxury. Not to mention it helps that she has more human traits than a normal Arkanian.

Originally, out of DH's four comic series, I only followed Legacy from the beginning, because that was the only post RotJ series that actually linked to Luke Skywalker and company. Didn't have much interest in the KotOR comics as I could care less about REvan. Then I took an interest in KotOR sometime around Reunion, Zayne and Gryph were hilarious, and well... let's just say I'm running out of room to store comics now (although that's partially because my overall interest in comics increased after DH's Star Wars pulled me in).

Shel is ok, so far, but right now, its hard to tell how close she and Zayne are at the moment. Originally, it looked like she and Zayne had something, and Zayne was probably planning to spend his life with her after he inevitably flunked out of the Jedi, but he's changead a lot since then. Shel spent... what was it, months (?) thinking Zayne killed her brother, then had to grudgingly work alongside him, then it turns out he's innocent, and now... well, let's just say I like love triangles, especially with all of them stuck on a small ship, not to mention with Alek interested in Jarael too. Though who would've thought Zayne would be kissed already by both of them (although both times were meant as distractions). Ah, Zayne's not only a great humanitarian, who would've thought he would've had so many lady friends.

And yeah, that moment in Vector was great, though I prefer Zayne's attempt to save Serocco. But its nice to see Zayne is still the epitome of Jedi-ness, even if he doesn't always succeed (though he has made a difference).

10. Jedi Trace

Dec 15, 1999
    Gabri!! :D My evil ploy to bring all my friends to the Dark Horse Side is proceeding as planned, mwhahahaha... [face_devil][:D]

Nobody145: though I prefer Zayne's attempt to save Serocco.

I'm inclined to agree with you there. Or, perhaps, the previous issue and the great convo with Carth about the humans and Sterebs, and Zayne's subsequent kindness to the poor guy digging through the trash. His line asking if the humans have "military camps in their front yards, too?" is about as snarky as we've seen for him and I loved it because it showed his unbiased compassion.

11. Master_Keralys

Oct 8, 2003
    I think I agree with Havac as to why I like Zayne with Shel. It somehow seems fitting to his character to happily end up with "the girl next door" - the very pretty, and clearly very strong, girl next door, but the girl next door, not the uber-hot elf woman.

And it is intriguing to see how the depiction of Jarael has changed. She was always pretty under Weaver's pen, and honestly there were moments in last year's sequence with other artists that I hated (read: her constantly enlarging bosom, which was just silly), but I like how it's thematically working: as if she were hiding her beauty along with everything else, and as Zayne has drawn her out, he's drawn our her physical beauty along with her internal beauty. That's a statement I like, because internal beauty makes such a huge difference in actual attractiveness.

Shel we've not seen enough of, but what we have seen bespeaks both a certain innocence and a distinct strength of character. Being willing to help kill an old love is hard enough - being willing to listen to him when he says, "That's not the truth!" and deciding to find out the truth for herself: that's really hard and very courageous. I don't know; I just like her better for Zayne, even if I like Jarael more of the two of them.

And love triangles FTW. Especially the quiet ones.

- Keralys

12. tjace

tjace Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2008
    Due to financial considerations, I have only been able to read the Volume 1 TPB :_| , but I really like the series and hope to read more soon!

13. Amon_Amarth

Jan 27, 2005
    Haha. =D=

Yeah, that the moment of Zayne's awesomness. I'm glad it was put in Vector, so that new readers can easily see what a great person (and a Jedi) Zayne really is. It summarizes his character well, it's basically events at Serocco in two sentences, amazing intro to KOTOR comics.

And there is another great moment, when Zayne is in jail aboard Courageous, talking to Carth. He isn't sad because of his own position behind the bars but because he wasn't able to help.

That's a good point when it comes to possible romance and it'd be nice to see one of the main SW characters ending up with someone ordinary. However, in my opinion, the whole Jarael-Shel issue here isn't about being exotic or not, it's more about personality.
    It is true that Zayne and Shel could have maybe made a fine pair in pre-Padawan-Massacre times. But after the chaotic events on Taris, Shel wasn't the pone standing on Zayne's side. She didn't consider him being innocent, she didn't even try to talk to him. If she harbored any sort of true feelings for him, if she really knew what kind of person he is, she would have at least try to talk to him. Yet she even tried to kill him in the end. Shel did find out the truth in the end and she did finally believe him, but still.
    On the other side we have Jarael. Even though she and Zayne didn't started their friendship in best of terms and he really was to blame for her and Camper's loss of sanctuary, she didn't hesitate to risk her life to save him from the Covenant. And that is also the element of adventure. Living through extraordinary events together creates a bond between people, a 'little something' Jarael and Zayne have yet Shel lacks.

Very interesting.

P.S. According to Diamond Comics, KOTOR #29 Exalted is released tomorrow! :D

14. JohnJacksonMiller

JohnJacksonMiller Mastermind: KOTOR, LTotS, Knight Errant star 3 VIP

May 24, 2005
    This is fun! =D=

I think the thing that makes triangles (or parallelograms, or whatever polygon you choose) more interesting to depict is when all the characters involved are fully drawn ? that is, they're not created to be obstacles, but people with real lives and roles to play. I think this is what made a lot of the John Hughes movies (the Great Codex of teen romantic angst in my day) work. Pretty in Pink and Some Kind of Wonderful are basically the same movie with the genders reversed, but the third person in each triangle is depicted as basically decent, instead of The Obstacle standing villainously in the way of true harmony. I always think that's a problem with some of the triangles you see; by setting up the third person as a jerk no one should be interested in, you've got to wonder if the protagonist was such a catch after all.

(An interesting variant to this was Cheers, where Frasier was created in Season Three to be The Obstacle, the joke. But then, thanks largely to the actor, his character turned out to so much more interesting that a decade later the fact he was ever interested in Diane became the joke!)

15. Gabri_Jade

Nov 9, 2002
    Yes. I could not agree more. There are so many badly written love polygons :p out there, both amateur and professional, that it undermines the whole concept. One with fully realized characters all the way around becomes emotionally compelling. :D

Also, hello. :p I like your work, even if I haven't read much yet. :cool: (Just bought the first two KOTOR trades off Amazon, though, and will pick up 29 tomorrow, so I'll be reading more soon. :D )

16. Gratulor

Gratulor Jedi Youngling star 2

May 4, 2008
    Anxiously waiting for the months' pay to pick up the last two books (28-29), I come in here and see this thread. Great to see it.

Hurray for Zayne Carrick! In the time period of the comics, it's good to see an incomponent (spelling?) Jedi - seeing as Ulic and Cay were both powerful and by-the-book Jedi. Experience is the best teacher, so much is true.

I like that he is just a kid who's trying his best and means well, but is pushed to the limits and has to fend on his own. That he's still a good person, and in the aftermath of his teaching he still tries to do what's right.

17. Master_Keralys

Oct 8, 2003
    She bought the first two trades? Wow... you hooked her and good with Vector, John. :D

I love what you're getting at here, John, and I think you've done a great job creating romantic polygons that really do have legitimately interesting characters. There's that beat back near the end of last year's arc where Alek is talking with Jarael and indicating his interest in her, and we as readers really feel for him when she turns him down - especially when it's clear that his feeling (that her disinterest is in him and not merely temporal) is fairly accurate. That's a powerfully sad moment, and we like Alek in that moment, and partly want Jarael to say yes (even though at some level we want her to say no, too...).

And as for this particular polygon, what exactly does it look like?

[image=http://www.chriskrycho.com/love_polygon.gif]

Quite the complicated mess there... even without Rohlan in the mix (since his interest might be, you know... medical).

- Keralys

18. Amon_Amarth

Jan 27, 2005
    Whoa, so many people pointing at Jarael. As if she were a living magnet or something. :p

19. Master_Keralys

Oct 8, 2003
    [image=http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/5/55/Jaraelactiondustinweaver.jpg]
    She is a living magnet. :p

- Keralys

20. TNPredsFan

TNPredsFan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2004
    I love that picture of Jarael. It is one of the pictures that I framed and hung in my fangirl room / office in my new house.

Jarael is a popular girl. [face_laugh]

21. Amon_Amarth

Jan 27, 2005
    I want to have boots like that....

;)

22. JohnJacksonMiller

JohnJacksonMiller Mastermind: KOTOR, LTotS, Knight Errant star 3 VIP

May 24, 2005
    Finally remembered the example I was going to cite for this -- Bridget Jones (the first one -- no idea what happened in the second one), where Hugh Grant's character was such a profoundly bad option that Colin Firth pretty much should have taken a walk when he realized who the competition was. As in, "if this is your menu of options, I don't want to be on it!"

23. Jedi Trace

Dec 15, 1999
    That is very true and exactly what's happening in the potential Z/J/S situation. Much as I joke about Shel needing to go away, it really is impossible to dislike her because she seems to be a perfectly decent girl. (Damn her. :p )

I want a stick like that... [face_beatup]

24. Amon_Amarth

Jan 27, 2005
    Ah yes, Bridget Jones. Now that's really an example of a bad love triangle. You can't even cheer for her to end up with the right person in the end because her behaviour is rather silly.

That is true. One doesn't really have a right to dislike her... Now that's true villainy!!! :p

25. Vrook_Lamar

Vrook_Lamar Jedi Padawan star 4

May 12, 2008
    I was going to root for Shel but I won't for too reasons:

I'm reading the trade paperbacks so she hasn't re-appeared yet.

Then Jarael would have no love interests apart from evil, turns evil, and might've been replaced by evil.

So until the next trade comes out or it's revealed that Roland really does have hidden medical skills or Demagol gets redeemed through the power of love I have to root for Jarael.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.