main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Zayne's World - the EUC home of Zayne Carrick and his Fellowship

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Amon_Amarth, May 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    Picked up #29: Exalted today. :D Awesome issue!
    I think that Dazo did a better job on Zayne than in Daze of Hate, which is great.
    It was great seeing Jarael dressing up as a Jedi once again, and Moomo Bros - Zayne - Gryph were as hilarious as ever:
    "It's our laundry hamper!
    "We were in their laundry hamper?
    "What, you thought that smell was me?
    [face_laugh]

Also, I simply love that whole page. :D It's sort of a thing I've been wanting to come true.

Jarael: "Shel was... nice.
    Zayne: "Yeah - but it's good to talk to you again.

and

Jarael: "Rohlan's training me to be a great warrior. Alek wants me for his crusade against the Mandalorians."
    Zayne: "Then why help me?"
    Jarael: "You asked first."

:p

Thanks for that, JJM! :)

2. dizfactor

dizfactor Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 12, 2002
    Carth visiting Zayne in his cell on the Courageous is absolutely without question one of my favorite moments in the EU.

I don't so much agree with Bridget Jones - I could definitely see the appeal of Hugh Grant's character, and I wasn't sure what the Colin Firth character had going for him other than not being the Hugh Grant character. My example is the Jack/Kate/Sawyer triangle on Lost. I used to be a Skate shipper, until I realized that Kate and Jack were both so lame they deserved each other.

3. JohnJacksonMiller

JohnJacksonMiller Mastermind: KOTOR, LTotS, Knight Errant star 3 VIP

May 24, 2005
    I was very happy with how Dustin depicted the scene, and with Michael's lighting. (And Michael H.'s lettering!)

None of them were terrific prizes that I could see -- but I don't mind if all the characters actually see that, too. I guess to go back to Cheers, and my favorite scene where, after Sam, Diane, and Frasier have been horrid to each other for the whole season, Frasier finally cracks and declares that they've become a pathetic "menage-a-boobs" that he no longer wants any part of. It was really the moment where he transformed into something beyond the throwaway Obstacle character he was created to be -- and it enabled him to become the one actor/character combination, besides Marshal Dillon, to remain in a network series constantly for 20 years. And then Sam and Diane's reaction redeems them to a degree ("if this is hell, I'm not too unhappy"). Very crisp writing, that scene -- and timed to come at the moment where, as you say, viewers were beginning to conclude themselves that it was a war not worth winning.

Ahem. Back to comics... [face_coffee]

4. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    Hey John - Just wanted to let you know that I went to the comic shop yesterday and they had completely sold out of issue # 29. I got mine because I have a hold box, but the owner said it's the first time he's ever sold out of a SW monthly. :cool:

Loved it, btw, for all the reasons Amon_Amarth mentioned and so much else. Gryph had me laughing out loud about the Sith artifacts. [face_laugh]

Also, I seriously geeked-out over seeing Zayne and Gryph in Dark Times. That was just too cool. :D And then Celeste... :eek: I guess that's better suited for the DT thread, but Vector officially rocks. :cool:

5. JohnJacksonMiller

May 24, 2005
    Wow --if that's Ron's shop on Poplar, that means something. I was one of his first customers, right around this week in 1986!

6. Jedi Trace

Dec 15, 1999
    Actually, it was Jason's shop (Comic Cellar, formerly Triple Play). Nicki has been to Ron's shop but never had much luck finding SW books. Jason has bragged before about always having SW books in stock (he's a fan ;)) and I think he was really surprised to have sold out, LOL.

Oh, and I forgot to mention how much I loved Jarael in 29! It's great to see her back in action again. :cool:

7. Master_Keralys

Master_Keralys VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 8, 2003
    John, great work on 29! I enjoyed it a lot.

Thanks to this thread for helping me realize that I completely missed an entire two pages of the book! That incredibly wonderful Zayne and Jarael scene - you know, the one that takes the issue from just good to absolutely great? - I missed the first time around; the pages stuck together. :_|

Loved the Zayne and Jarael interactions, even if I do rather like Z/S. Funny how this issue managed to cast that in an interesting light.

It was mostly sold out the day I picked it up (the day after it came out). Looks like Vector really may have picked up some new readers; I haven't seen that happen since the very earliest days of the comic when my LCS guy wasn't ordering enough. Pretty sweet!

- Keralys

8. Amon_Amarth

Jan 27, 2005
    My usual comic shop sold out all #29. I had the luck to pick the last one on Friday. :D
    Unfortunately, I couldn't get the Indiana Jones comic. Not one comic shop in London got it at all. :( Which is odd.

Although I got both comics on the same day, I read only KOTOR because I didn't have a lot of free time. I was moving back home for the summer and packed all my comics. Then I read your post here and I was all 'OMG, Zayne & Gryph in Dark Times!!!'. I couldn't find it at first and I feared that I put it amidst all the packed stuff I'm leaving in London. But yay, it turned out that it was just at the bottom of my bag! :D
    And Dark Times Vector looks great thus far. 'Memoirs', [face_laugh]! I also loved the art.
    I thought (well, I better black this out, don't know how many people read this) that Celeste might hold a grudge against Zayne when she 'wakes up'. I'm glad she didn't. And "Then Zayne failed" was quite sad.

Oh no! It's most probably the best 2 pages in the issue! :p

9. KotOR_girl

KotOR_girl Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 16, 2007
    That was close, Amon_Amarth. Glad you got the comic in the end.
    I think I'll follow your example and get myself the new Vector issue. I wasn't planning on continuing to follow Celeste's stry, but since Zayne and Gryph make an appearance, heck why not?! :)

I loved #29, btw. [face_love] Awesome Z/J moment! :D Glad to see that Shel, Alek and the Mandalorian are no "real" threat. ;)
    The new artist makes Zayne's eyebrows look nice. It sort of captures his personality in that innocent look. very nice. =D=

10. TapeTrooper515

TapeTrooper515 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 5, 2007
    I have to admit, I started reading KOTOR because I saw mando'ade on the cover. I'm a die-hard Mando fan, I speak mando'a (I love it when it apears in KOTOR!) and I costume as a custom Mando.

Since I started reading though, Zayne immediately became one of my favorite Star Wars characters. He is someone who I can relate to on many levels (ineptitude being one;)). If anyone is looking for examples of how comics can provide positive role-models, look no further than Zayne. He is a refreshing break from a Jedi order with a long history of corruption and hypocrisy.

As a costumer, I am proud to say that I am currently working on a Zayne costume. (I wonder if any of the artists ever actually thought about the logistics of that green wrap, because that was really hard to make!) On a related note, I've also costumed as a Mando-Rak for a local zombie walk.
    [image=http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z137/Mando_Rus/DSCF2102.jpg]

I'm really happy about Brian Ching returning to the comic, although I hope we will see more of Dustin Weaver's art as well. I noticed that Brian Ching has started drawing the crosspiece on Zayne's harness, which, speaking as a costumer, is essential unless you want the shoulder straps falling off all the time!

11. Amon_Amarth

Jan 27, 2005
    Oh wow! This is awesome! :D =D=
    I wasn't expecting anyone making a Vector-related costume so soon. This definitely beats Slyssk at Celebration Europe.

Cool costume, I especially like the feet. ;)

12. Jedi Trace

Dec 15, 1999
    Very cool! You'll have to post a pic of your Zayne costume when you finish it. :D

(LOL @ the wrap. I made a Mara costume from the Emperor's Hand comics and I hear ya about trying to make fabric hang like pics in comics. ;))

13. TapeTrooper515

Feb 5, 2007
    I will be starting the serious work on Zayne near the end of the month, so I hope to be done in time for Clone Wars.
    Until then, here is my test image (it's been greatly improved since then):
    [image=http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z137/Mando_Rus/DSCF2008.jpg]

Once it's done I think I might wear it down to my local comic shop for the next KOTOR release, then buy a few issues of Vector #1 and give them away or somthing...

Here's a better shot of the Mando-Rak as well.
    [image=http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z137/Mando_Rus/DSCF2101-1.jpg]
    One of the best parts of this costume is it's mostly duct tape. (as my sig may suggest, I love duct tape!)

Sadly, it looks like my local shop's supplier pushed back Exalted part 2 until next week.:oops: I can't even find Vector #6 on their upcoming list, but it won't have Zayne and Gryph this time, so I can wait... I guess...

14. Jedi Trace

Dec 15, 1999
    You look great!! =D= (The green wrap turned out perfect.)

15. TapeTrooper515

Feb 5, 2007
    Thanks. Just wait until you see the new wrap!

16. Kev-Mas_Colcha

Kev-Mas_Colcha Force Ghost star 5

Dec 15, 2002
    What did you use for the armor on the Mando-Rakghoul? Is it Cardboard, like many people have been using?

17. Master_Keralys

Oct 8, 2003
    That's pretty darn cool. Zayne's clothes are crazy hard. I didn't even think about it till you mentinoed it, but he does actually dress in a rather unusual manner. Interesting... [face_thinking]

Now I'm curious and I'm going to look and see if anyone else in the crew has such difficult-to-emulate clothing choices.

- Keralys

18. TapeTrooper515

Feb 5, 2007
    Well, Rohlan's armour would be a challenge to make. I expect Dob and Del wouldn't be easy either, even if you were an Ithorian.
    I'm just glad that Zayne's boots are simple, because his belt and vambraces will make up for it.

The Mando-Rak armour is made from sintra, its a common Mando armouring material (at least, that's where I know it from). It's a plastic that you can shape when heated.

19. Master_Keralys

Oct 8, 2003
    Is that what you're doing the vambraces out of as well?

- Keralys

20. Kev-Mas_Colcha

Dec 15, 2002
    Ah, I've heard of sintra. How hard is it to work with?

21. JohnJacksonMiller

May 24, 2005
    I don't want to get on an elevator with Rohlan. "I'm sorry, sir, you'll have to leave the convention. Your shoulder-pads aren't peace-bonded."

22. TapeTrooper515

Feb 5, 2007
    That would be an interesting scenario![face_laugh]
    It could be worse though. Ray Ramirez (aka Ram Zerimar, of the Legacy of the Force series) has a spiked leather kama. How he sits down I have no idea!

I'm not sure how I'm doing the vambraces yet, I don't know for sure which parts of the vambraces are phrikite and which are leather.
    I expect Mr. Miller probably isn't allowed to give costuming help. (It's not that I'm not asking for help...[face_batting])

Sintra's not that hard to use though, you can cut it with an exacto-knife and it bends really well when heated with boiling water. The only problem I had with the Mando-Rak chestplate was that it was too large to fit in the pot I was using to boil the water, so it still does not fit quite right. It also makes the pot useless for cooking after.

23. Kev-Mas_Colcha

Dec 15, 2002
    For the Sintra, would it be plausible to use one of those tubs that are used for soaking feet in, instead of a pot? That way you don't have to worry about wasting cookware, and you have a bigger area to work with.

24. TapeTrooper515

Feb 5, 2007
    Hmmm... If you could safely boil the tub, then I don't see why not.
    Most Mando armor is in small segments, so it's not usually a problem unless you are doing a one piece Neo-Crusader chestplate or somthing big like that.

A Neo-Crusader is also on my list of future projects. Once I've done that, all I need to do is get a headband and the right jetpack, and I have Zayne in Mando armour too. But that will be a while from now.

So many ways to costume as Zayne...

25. Kev-Mas_Colcha

Dec 15, 2002
    Yeah, I'm actually not doing a Mando Costume though, but something of my own design. If you want, I can PM you with more details about it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.