main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian Zeb

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes

Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2013
  2. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I love this guy! Actually glad he speaks Basic, though it would've been fine by me if he spoke an alien language. Blum, as always, does a marvelous job as a voice actor and I don't know how I can possibly pick a favorite anymore. Zeb, Ezra, Kanan, Sabine, Hera, Chopper...we know least about Sabine and Hera but they're all so awesome! Zeb being an ex-military character makes him doubly awesome, and his favorite pastime is beating up stormtroopers! Hmm, Filoni says he's a "new species," so he's not whatever species they previously called the Chewbacca concept art, but also not a Kaleesh like some speculated, either. Zeb hates Chopper...I wonder if he's, if not a technophobe, then at least prefers to do things himself, or if he just dislikes the droid's personality. And him and Ezra not getting along but slowly becoming friends is going to be awesome. Before I leave, my favorite part of the video...

Kanan: "Wait...are you fighting stormtroopers?"
    Zeb: "What makes ya say that?"

:cool:

3. kecen

kecen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2005
    He has a lot of characteristics I would have liked to see in a Kaleesh good guy character.
    I'm liking him a lot already. His accent! His sass! His use of feet! I tend to gravitate towards the beastly alien characters.

4. Starwarsfan9000

Starwarsfan9000 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 24, 2012
    I'm already loving Zeb just from this video and Steve Blum sounds freaking epic and awesome as always. Definitely looking forward to seeing more of this character and seeing more of Blum's performance. Hopefully Hera will be the next character reveal.

RJ Carey, Contessa and Revanfan1 like this.
  5. Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes

Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2013

I wouldn't say he's not a Lasat quite yet...

This, to me, suggests that his species has never been featured, but it doesn't mean its never been created...and the fact that they're acknowledging McQuarrie's concepts makes me think he could very well be the first featured* Lasat in the GFFA.

*first featured as in the first time it is seen In-Universe and not just in OOU concept art.

6. EternalHero

EternalHero Jedi Master star 3

Feb 17, 2014
    Has anyone else picked up on how biblical the names for Rebels are?

Zeb (Zebadiah)
    Ezra
    Kanan (Canaan)

7. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    I wonder what he means by never before seen? Does that mean completely brand new, or just that Zeb's species hasn't been seen onscreen? Very cool.

RJ Carey likes this.
  8. ReigningHope

ReigningHope Jedi Youngling

Feb 17, 2014
    I like him. His intelligent nature and less than human body reminds of beast.

9. EternalHero

EternalHero Jedi Master star 3

Feb 17, 2014
    I think they based Zeb on early Wookiee concept art and it hasn't been used anywhere in the SWU before.

RJ Carey, Zabrak 3 and Dra--- like this.
  10. H-BOMB

H-BOMB Jedi Master star 3

Feb 21, 2009
    As I said in the Rebels Discussion thread I'm actually starting to think that Zeb is a Kaleesh and possibly a member of Grievous' Izvoshra Honor Guard. Think about it: The Magnaguards were supposedly based off the Izvoshra and they wielded a electrostaff thing like Zeb. Zeb is said by the Rebels crew in the video to have an interesting history, and he is also supposedly a member of an honor-guard on his own home planet. When Steve Blum referenced Zeb's name (Gara Zeb Orrellios) it seemed to follow the Kaleesh 3-name structure, although it colt be just a personal name and surname. Plus he kind of just looks like the EU depictions of the Kaleesh, minus the jaw and chin tusks. And his purple coloration falls within the coloration of known Kaleesh as Bentilais san Sk'ar was purple.

I really hope he is Kaleesh, because I've always been curious about them, and have always wanted more content that expanded upon them.

Just check it out:

[​IMG][​IMG]

Very, very similar facial structures.

[​IMG][​IMG]

They even have the same digitigrade stance and foot morphology!

Revanfan1, Zabrak 3, cdgodin and 2 others like this.
  11. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I had a thought that Maybe Zeb is a Taung and was part of Sabine's clan. When Sabine ran off or something Zeb went after her to bring her back but they both ended up on the Ghost.

12. CommanderColt

CommanderColt Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 2, 2013
    I wonder if something bad happened to Zeb's species or planet, likely perpetrated by the Empire? I would think that most of the characters in the show have some reason to be fighting the Empire built into their story. If Zeb was a member of the honor guard for his homeworld there must be some reason he no longer holds that position. I think it makes more sense for his planet to have been ashed by the Empire (or his species enslaved ala Wookies in the EU) giving him a reason to hate the Empire than for him to be an outcast from his own people. I guess its likely that one or two of the rebels may be in it for profit, but Zeb sounds like a warrior with a code so I am betting his people were screwed by the Empire.

13. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    I'm hoping Zeb is something entirely new. I can't wait to see him kick ***.

14. red5_standingby

red5_standingby Jedi Youngling

Feb 17, 2014

Hah, never really noticed that he looked Kaleesh, maybe because his head is rounder. But that would be an awesome reveal, but the video says he is his own "new species." First thing when I saw him in action was...

[​IMG]

This "little" ol' guy in the back center. ;) Definitely playing off the original Chewie concepts

15. kecen

kecen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2005
    I'd rather Zeb be another species because my headcanon Kaleesh are hairless and strictly reptilio-avian and obviously not purple. Maybe one from a planet that was serving the Banking Clan.
    His hands and feet don't have the lateral symmetry I see Kaleesh having, with two fingers on either side and two thunders. And that facial hair is a no no along with the lack of facial tusks.

RJ Carey and Circular Logic like this.
  16. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    Zeb seems very much like Jet Black from Cowboy Bebop. Not who I was expecting Blum to play, but it works I guess. Though the accent reminds me a little too much of TCW clones and pirates.

RJ Carey, H-BOMB and Zabrak 3 like this.
  17. Darth Wookiee

Darth Wookiee Jedi Master star 3

Nov 29, 2013
    So him and Hondo will meet?

Well Hondo needs to appear anyway. :p

18. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013

Zeb looks nothing like a Taung, IMO. Also, they are supposedly extinct by the time of the PT/OT eras, so it would be very unlikely either way.

While there are definite similarities between Zeb and Kaleesh, I too concur that he looks a bit too different, or at least distinct from what we'd normally see as Kaleesh (most notably the tusks). Zeb still reminds me most of a Lasat, Chewie's original species from McQuarrie's art.

The physical similarities may be the result of convergent evolution at work! :p

But yeah, as I said in the Rebels thread, I'm really looking forward to seeing Zeb in action, the physical brawler who's both articulate and humorous. From what we know of the three Ghost crew members unveiled thus far, there will be plenty of witty banter reminiscent of the OT!

19. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    I'm sure Zeb won't only speak Basic. Hopefully we see him curse in his own language when he gets frustrated. ;)

20. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    "Zeb loves to beat up stormtroopers. It's his favorite pastime."

[face_laugh] **** yeah!

This is going to be great.

I like that they're bringing in a new species too.

And while I have hopes for Ezra, if he does turn out to be a little punk, looks like Zeb might put him in his place.

21. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I'm getting more "smart Jayne" vibes from him.

So Steve Blum's not voicing a lead character or a villain. Okay, I'm fine with that. Zeb seems like he'll have a lot of screentime nonetheless. Cool that he's affecting an accent instead of using his normal but more famous voice. Variety is always welcome with these talented VAs.

Makes sense that a big tough military-type character would butt heads with the more free-spirited Ezra. I wonder if he'll have any other role aboard the Ghost beyond "muscle".

22. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    Sounds like Zeb has good reason to hate Imperials. Can't wait to hear what it is.

RJ Carey likes this.
  23. Darth Maul Apprentice

Darth Maul Apprentice Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2014
    Smashing the storm troopers heads together was great. This show looks better and better all the time.

24. Darth Wookiee

Darth Wookiee Jedi Master star 3

Nov 29, 2013
    Bossk style during Deception?

Shock Trooper: This party's over!
    Bossk: No it ain't - smashes heads together-

I like that way of killing Storm Troopers. Now I want Bossk vs Zeb!

25. Sir Chem

Sir Chem Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 26, 2013
    I've already said this in the main Rebels thread, but I can't wait to see Zeb in the show. They took what I thought would be a stoic, Worf kind of character and turned him into a boisterous bruiser, it seems like. I also can't wait to really hear Steve Blum, though his accent surprised me. I'm fine with it, though! I thought for sure that he would be voicing the Inquisitor or Kallus, but he got a more major role! I'm fine with that.

I'm sure they'll give him a really cool episode detailing his past, and why he isn't in such a prestigious position on his homeworld anymore.