main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian Zeb

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes, Feb 18, 2014.

1. kecen

kecen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2005
    It's actually harder to speak the slang of a language if you're a learner. Non-native speakers tend to stick to more rigid/"standard" sentence structures.
    Anyways, I'm relieved that Zeb isn't Kaleesh.

2. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003

But is that the prerogative of the producer? Or would that be a policy set by LucasFilm Animation? I.E. whom do I blame for the God awfulness that was Ziro and Mama the Hutt? Lucas? Filoni? Who made the argument that not enough kids could read to go with subtitles?

Jedi Knight Fett and Revanfan1 like this.
  3. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    Mama the Hutt... Such a low moment for TCW...

4. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    You blame Lucas. Filoni had pushed for subtitles like in the films and games, but it was Lucas' idea to go without. Filoni then suggested Ziro speak Huttese directly through a translator device, but again, Lucas thought it would be too confusing for kids, and apparently the opportunity to have Capote the Hutt was too great to pass up. Lucas is seemingly out of the picture now, creatively speaking, and given Filoni's previously stated desires and Weisman's established record, I would say it's more likely than not that we'll be seeing subtitled alternate languages this time around.

5. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    Lucas thought kids wouldn't understand the droid was translating Ziro? The OT is full of 3PO translating and kids understood that fine. *face-palm*

Revanfan1, Contessa and TaradosGon like this.
  6. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    He keeps thinking we get dumber and dumber doesn't he?

7. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Not a droid, a translator device. Ziro would've spoken Huttese into a microphone, and the translator would've spoken Basic back out. It's still surprising how little credit children are being given, but for the sake of clarity, there was at least some difference.

8. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Hilariously, that concept reappeared later with an Ithorian wearing such a device. XD

9. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    Now that I could have enjoyed with Ziro.

[Ziro says something in Huttese]
    [microphone translates "It's so BRIGHT out here! Why couldn't we have done this at night, when it's cooler?"]
    [Ziro has an "are you serious?" look on his face upon hearing the voice]

Jedi Knight Fett and Revanfan1 like this.
  10. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I'd have lol'ed, whereas normally Ziro just makes me facepalm.

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
  11. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    From the sound of everyone else, there may well be something wrong with me... I thought Ziro was great.

And his smoochy-smoochy with Sy Snootles was absolutely inspired! Come on, admit it -- it was so freakin'... weird that you couldn't help but laugh (as it made you squirm). :p

And he's actually the only Hutt I'd have had no issue with speaking Basic. As he seemed to prefer the Coruscanti city-life over languishing in the Outer Rim, I thought it made sense for Ziro to "do what the Romans do."

But yeah, subtitles in Rebels, please! Greedo still bugs me!

Kablob and CT-867-5309 like this.
  12. Erik_B

Erik_B Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 11, 2014
    TBH the Hutt who talked like Truman Capote was my favorite thing in the show!

13. kecen

kecen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2005
    I really like Ziro's design like, a camp Hutt in bright neon colors? And the extended campy Hutt family.

Trebor Sabreon likes this.
  14. Reveen

Reveen Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 4, 2012
    I can't think of a better way to pay tribute to great American writer and gay rights icon Truman Capote by basing a giant space slug in a show about clones versus robots off of him.

And making the giant space slug straight.

15. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    From twitter:

Greg Weisman ‏@Greg_Weisman 10h
    TiniTinyTony: “@tinitinytony: What's Zeb say at beginning of …” "My name's Zeb, you Loth-Rat." Correction.

So what's a "Loth-Rat"? There is nothing on Wookieepedia.

My guess, a rat naive to the planet Loth. Maybe Zeb is from the planet Loth...

Dark Lord Tarkas and Revanfan1 like this.
  16. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Zeb looks like he'll be one of the most entertaining characters on the Ghost crew. He's got quite the snark and his impatience and strained relationship with Ezra looks like a real winner in the character development department. He's the guy who'll most likely keep Ezra grounded and prevent the kid from getting too ahead of himself. Even though Zeb is a warrior, and former Honor Guard on Lasan, he seems to have a good idea of when to choose his battles, not suffering from the overconfidence that might at times plague Ezra. I look forward to his electrostaff duel with Kallus on Lothal.

Also, according to the Rebels Visual Guide, Zeb is one of a few survivors of an Imperial devastation of the planet Lasan (perhaps as a part of the humanocentric agenda against perceived "brute" aliens), so he has great reason to be bitter about and fighting against the Empire.

17. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    The character's colors are the most annoying to look at . Looks too "cute and cuddly". Everytime I look at this character I see these:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Like whoever painted him was influenced by Chestshire cat. I think more earthy colors closer to the concept art of McQ and the action figure based off of that, would've been more ideal.

18. Big Fat'Lya

Big Fat'Lya Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 16, 2013
    Or a street rat from the planet Lothal.

Cevan and Circular Logic like this.
  19. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    This guy will be great fun to follow.

20. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    I think Zeb's colors are fine. He's an alien. He looks weird. I like it.

21. Kablob

Kablob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2014
    To be fair, Hutts only have one gender.

22. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    And talking a certain way does not indicate one's sexual orientation.............

23. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Though some Hutts - Ziro in particular - have two parents.

24. EternalHero

EternalHero Jedi Master star 3

Feb 17, 2014
    Some Zeb facts from the book Rise of the Rebels:

+ Species: Lasat
    + Homeworld: Lasan. Subject to something called "dust seasons" which sound like they are difficult to survive.
    + Weapon: Bo-rifle
    + Zeb's grandma lived for "three hundred dust seasons" and was 2 meters (6 feet 8 inches) tall. This detail suggests earth-like primate coupling and human-like family circles.
    + Lasat are jealous of Wookiees. Lasat are seen as clumsy and oafish and not as strong as Wookiees. Zeb resents all that and wants to be seen as stronger and smarter than a Wookiee.

Just a few fun facts from the Nu-EU!

25. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    I hate his rough British accent

(and this is coming from someone with a rough British accent)