main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Zekk founding Imperial Knights?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by DragonMaster_85, Dec 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Quiet_Mandalorian

Quiet_Mandalorian Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2005
    If Jag didn't kill Zekk over such a suggestion his family would.

2. Thanos6

Thanos6 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 20, 1999
    Oh, please. We have gay Mandalorians*. The Imperial Remnant Elite would be infinitely far more cosmopolitan and open to those kind of things.

*(No offense, but I'm never going to let you live down the whole "being gay is opposed to Mando'ade" debate...I wish I could have seen your face during the reveal in Sacrifice :D )

3. Quiet_Mandalorian

Apr 19, 2005
    Yes, and?

Setting aside that I rather doubt that, the fact remains that the Fel family is not the Imperial Remnant Elite. ;)

Why? What is there to live down? I'm right and you're wrong. :)

Of course you would. However, I can assure you that you would have been disappointed. [face_peace]

4. Thanos6

Apr 20, 1999
    When one makes a list of Mandalorians' personality traits, "cosmopolitan" is not generally high on the list. If it makes it at all.

Got me on that screw-up. But, then, look AT the Fels, living among the Chiss. A living example right there of tolerance.

I'm not exactly sure how, since unless we're misunderstanding each other, Sacrifice seemed to have blown as big a hole in your argument as Son Goku did through Piccolo Daimao...

Oh? *raises eyebrow*

5. Quiet_Mandalorian

Apr 19, 2005
    Whatever one takes "cosmopolitan" to mean.

Yes, the Chiss were certainly tolerant of those odd humans.

I think whatever misunderstanding there is exists entirely on your part.

Gregor Eisenhorn comes to mind. :p

6. Thanos6

Apr 20, 1999
    Like one who lives in a large city and is therefore used to mingling with a large amount of different lifestyles, etc, etc. I see being cosmopolitan as a virtue. You may not. Eitherway, it doesn't seem to apply to Mandos very much.

That's rather my point. The Fels, living in such a situation, would then be more likely to be tolerant of other "odd beings out," out of sympathy and recognizing others in the same situation as themselves.

Apparently so. We scuffle about homosexuality with a slight emphasis on Mandos. You say that goes against the whole Mando code. We are presented with Mando gay couple who in no way appears to be ostracized or outcast by the other Mandos. No offense, but I'm not really sure how "I'm right and you're wrong" applies.

Gregor Eisenhorn comes to mind. :p [/quote]

Speaking as someone who's never been interested in Warhammer, care to elaborate?

7. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Is this really relevant?

8. Thanos6

Apr 20, 1999
    If there's one thing I've learned in my years of hanging around this place, it's that either everything is relevant or nothing is. :p

9. Quiet_Mandalorian

Apr 19, 2005
    Which would seem to do somewhat in the way of proving my point.

Ah, but "tolerant" does not by definition mean accepting out of hand everything from byzantine political arrangements to carnal overtures towards one's children from lonely homosexuals. You may be tolerant of one while utterly rejecting the other. It's not so uniform and monolithic an attitude as you seem to suppose.

Because my argument isn't disproved by Goran Beviin's sexual preferences.

Am I saying that a character such as Goran Beviin could not exist in Mandalorian society, that there are by definition absolutely no homosexual Mandalorians? No, I'm not, but the fact remains that a culture of the sort that Karen's conjured up, defined as it is by highly autonomous family units emphatically typified by male/female couples largely if not completely free from interference on the part of government agencies, is simply not going to provide an environment that encourages homosexuality. To insist otherwise would defy narrative logic, which is essentially what Karen's done in creating a society obsessed both with hard-nosed practicality and keeping its numbers up, and then blithely plopping a male, and therefore infertile couple demonstrably incapable of replacing either member except through the adoption of the children of other Mandos and asking the readers to accept it as perfectly normal and unquestionable.

Te blunt fact is, no matter what Karen does to try and shoe-horn Beviin's domestic arrangements into the broader picture of Mandalorian society, it's not going to fit, whether she says it does or not.

Inquisitor Eisenhorn, due to nerve-torture at the hands of the enemies of the Imperium, is incapable of forming expressions. His face is permanently set in neutral, essentially.

And that, I think, does it for me, for the time being. You can pick apart my arguments as you like, but I'm not going to continue this at the present time. I simply don't have the luxury of carrying on month-long debates at this point.

10. Thanos6

Apr 20, 1999
    As you wish. Whenever you get the time, then. *salutes with lightsaber*

11. Quiet_Mandalorian

Apr 19, 2005
    Thanks. I'll see you around. *taps helmet*

12. FTeik

FTeik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 7, 2000
    How do you know for sure, if you don't have it?

13. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Because I read it in the store. Do you think I'm just saying crap for the fun of it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.