Beyond - Legends Zekk - Interludes: 1-7 ~ The Complete Serial ~

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Neo-Paladin, Jan 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. Neo-Paladin Jedi Master

star 4
    Title: Zekk - Inderlude 1: Transitions
    Author(s): Neo-Paladin
    Timeframe: Post YJK - Pre Vector Prime
    Characters: Zekk, OC's, a few familiar faces
    Genre: Adventure, humor
    Keywords: Zekk, SpecForce,
    Summary: Without a master, Zekk makes his way in the Galaxy in the year leading upto the Vong War.
    Notes: By way of an explanation, it is kinda sorta a bridge In Zekk's story between YJK and Vector Prime. I haven't read all of the YJK series, or the NJO past Vector Prime, so if I'm not in step with cannon, please forgive or just consider it slightly AU. It's in step with almost everything I've read about said series.

It's supposed to be written in serial format, and there will be seven interludes in all.

I finally finished the saga I've been scrawling out for almost a year now! :eek: Well, maybe not finished, I need to edit and so forth, but eh. I promised readers of my other fics (linked in my bio *cough* *plug* *cough*) I'd start posting this story when I got to this point, so here is the start of things.

I hope to post a new chunk every three days, I think.

I hope you enjoy. I shamelessly encourage feedback (as in response, not the squeal a speaker makes when you hold a microphone too close).

Wow, you must have seen a bajilion of these if you've spent much time reading fanfic. And yet here you are reading another. Crazy. Oh, right. I did this for fun. I'm sharing it because I hope other people might enjoy it too. No relation with any established copyright is implied. No financial profit is derived from the following work.

Zekk - Interlude 1: Transitions

The strangest part of the position that Zekk found himself in was that it occurred to him exactly why Jaina had been mad at him. He hadn?t been thinking about it for the first time since he left. He had instead been thinking about how to get away from the local crime lord?s goons and their blaster fire. Yet, for some reason, he recognized now that when he left Jaina was mad at him for no other reason than he had not put her wishes first.

She wanted to come with him on this assignment; and rather than let what ever they were to each other get in the way Zekk opted to not try to convince her newly appointed master, Mara Jade, to send Jaina with him. This was supposed to be a small local problem that even a knight in training, like himself, should be able to take care of. He really didn?t need another Jedi?s help with this. So like most everyone else had at one point or another, he effectively asked her to wait to get what she wanted. In this case it happened to be time with him.

It was probably the first time he had chosen to put her off like that. Before now it never occurred to him that of all the people close to Jaina he was probably the only one who never had done that, until now. Even when he became a bounty hunter Jaina understood he needed time to work out what led him to becoming ?The Darkest Knight?, the journey back wasn?t a choice, it was necessary, and he couldn?t do that at the temple. He didn?t make her wait; she wanted to wait so he could find his way back, which he eventually did. Now he was making her wait because he wanted her to wait. Best intentions aside, that was what she was mad about.

He didn?t know how he came to that conclusion; he just knew it was true. His gut confirmed it, and that was enough in the court of Zekk?s mind. The worst part was Jaina probably didn?t even know why she was mad, and there was probably little he could do about it until Jaina cooled off. Of course if he couldn?t get out of his current situation he would never be able to do anything about it.

The Niktoian sector ranger who was next to him grimaced and looked at Zekk, ?I?ve got one more charge left then I?m out. This is why most rangers would have, at the very least, called for backup before going in. Why didn?t we do that again??

Zekk flushed slightly, ?Too many people would get in the way.?

?Ah, so there is an up />/>/>
  2. NenYim Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Intriguing. Very intriguing. I like Zekk's shock when his lightsaber gets shot- very realistic.

More soon?
  3. Neo-Paladin Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm glad you liked it. I had some fun with the lightsaber bit. I'll even say there was a method to my madness, but that'll come .... in the next post.

Yes, there is more comming. Shall we say Monday or Tuesay? :D
  4. Vongchild Jedi Master

star 5
    That was great!!!! Very well discribed, good characterizations, and even some funny bits! Door making lightsabers! :) *hooked*
  5. Lusa_Thul Jedi Knight

star 4
    Consider me hooked! Can I just say, yet again, that you write Zekk amazingly? That was really really good! I've always wnated to know what Zekk was up to at the begining of NJO, so I'm glad you're writting this! Although I am most sad that his lightsaber got shot! :p Can't wait for the next post! :)
  6. Neo-Paladin Jedi Master

star 4
    Hi all.
    Well it looks like I've managed to snag two more live ones! Good bait I guess [face_laugh] It maybe my James Bond style of pacing will work out after all: short intro action, some stuff happens and things explode, conclusion! This is the way I started plotting all of the Interlude series, but a few took on a life of their own.... :eek:

We'll start off the "stuff happens and things explode" part next.*

Hi Vongchild , welcome. If you like this you should also check out Darkest Knight's Dawn , more of my take on Zekk. I promise it's more fun than eating a tube of grease.

Hey Lusa , I was hoping you'd find this one too. I'm glad my characterization of Zekk does not disappoint. :D

So, no one answered my question above, next post Monday or Tuesday? o_O

*there will in fact be no things exploding in the next post.
  7. Neo-Paladin Jedi Master

star 4
    This is my 100th post on these boards. How's that for keen?
    Enjoy.
    Reply.
    Repeat.
    When he finally made it back to his ship, The Lightening Rod, Zekk was on the very far side of tired. The backup finally arrived, and they brought heavy artillery with them. The entire planet?s security force had been trying to crack this gang of drug runners for months, and they were ready to blast the drug refinery to slag. Zekk was able to talk them down, and instead they got eight crime lord lieutenants ready to give up the secrets of the entire organization.

Of course the security force counted this as a major victory, and that required commiserate celebration. Many hours of celebration. A number of drinks of celebration too. Zekk skirted the edge of his limits with the local lum. It was pale with a mellonish flavor. It was unique to Zekk?s experience. He decided he would have to remember it for future consumption.

He ran his fingers through his now unruly dark hair. It felt grimy to his touch. He wiped off his hands and rubbed his face, to get the blood flowing again and hopefully make himself feel slightly more sentient. It wasn?t completely successful, but Zekk resolved to hit the fresher and sluice off at least a layer of grime off before falling into bed.

He absently wondered what time it was. Zekk swayed to the cockpit and checked the crono. He grunted as he realized he was maybe half an hour from local sunrise. Rubbing his eyes again he turned to leave. Mid-turn he saw there was a message for him on his com. Curious, Zekk fell into his chair and checked the message source.

Zekk saw it originated from the Solo?s household. Zekk was mildly surprised; he was under the impression that Jaina was doing something with Master Skywalker. ?The other Master Skywalker,? he amended in his head, as he reached over to key up the message.

To his surprise it was Han Solo?s bust who appeared before him. A smile came easily to Solo?s face as he began, ?Hey, kid.? Zekk smiled at the moniker Han used for almost everyone younger than himself. ?Listen, give me a call when you get a chance. I?ve heard about an opportunity I think you might be interested in. Just ring this com up when you finish the project you?re on now.? With that the holo emitter shut off.

To say Zekk was again surprised but also curious. There was no topic that Zekk could think of that he was eager to broach with Han Solo. His daughter was interested in Zekk in a way that approached more than friendly, and his daughter was furious with him when he left.

Curiosity overcame exhaustion and Zekk linked to the holonet. Pausing briefly to check the time at the Solo?s suite, Zekk proceeded to call the Solo?s up, wondering what Han?s game was. After a few moments C-3PO?s visage came up on the display.

?Master Zekk, it is wonderful to see you again,? C-3PO said cheerfully

?Hey 3PO, it?s nice to see you too. Say, is Mr.Solo in? I got a call from him earlier.?

?Master Solo has requested that I inform all callers that no one by the name of Mr.Solo lives at this residence,? C-3PO responded hesitantly.

Zekk chuckled to him self. ?Leave it to Han,? he thought before saying, ?All right then C-3PO, is Han in??

?Certainly, I will get him for you right away.?

Curiosity set in again for a few moments while he waited for Han to appear. ?Hey kid, how are ya??? Han began as he came to the station. ?I was wondering when you would get around to returning my message.?

Zekk shrugged, ?Well, you know the drill, day or two of sheer boredom, followed by a few minutes of panic, then the celebrations.?

Han laughed, ?Sounds like standard procedure.?

?I suppose so. So, what is this offer you wanted to ask me about??

?Well, the other day I was talking with General Spacas, he is General Madine?s successor as head of SpecForce army elite forces,? Han began. ?It was some meeting I had to go to keep my rank active; procedures, dealing with the Remnant, and so forth. We were already familiar with Imperial policy, so the tw/>
  8. Lusa_Thul Jedi Knight

star 4
    Oooh, Zekk's gonna make a snazzy new lightsaber! Yay! :) And he gets to go try to be in Spec Force! How exciting! On a less fangirly note, I really like how you're handeling Zekk and Jaina sort of falling out with each other. :)
  9. NenYim Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Another post! And Zekk gets a new lightsaber! Interesting idea of sending him for officer training. I like how you write Jacen, too. The only thing that seems a little off is Zekk calling Jacen junior...they're the same age, right? And I wonder what will happen at officer Spec training...:)
  10. Neo-Paladin Jedi Master

star 4
    Yeah, I admit it, my readers rock. :D
    As to SpecForce, I was trying to think of something different to do with a Jedi. They are always pilots. While that is great I think Zekk should be just a bit different from everyone else. So rather than make him an elite pilot I decided to take him another route.

And in keeping with Zekk being a little different, his lightsaber will be too. :) Demonstrate in the next post. I'm excited to see what people think of it.

Hi Lusa Yeah, the Zekk/Jania falling out was something I felt had to balance right. I didn't want it to be anyone's fault, but... well, those two never quite get their timing right, do they? Interesting repercussions to come, but that's not for a few interludes down the line.

NemYim , I don't have my YJK books on me, but I could have sworn Zekk was two years older than the twins. Was I mistaken? Anyone?
  11. daeana Jedi Youngling

star 1
    count me in as a fan too. Zekk fascinates me. i love his reaction to his lightsaber being killed, and the "astronomical" odds. :D
  12. Neo-Paladin Jedi Master

star 4
    A new reader, nifty! Welcome to the story, Thanks for letting me know you like it.

Yeah, I got some mileage out of the whole lightsaber getting shot thing. I'm glad people don't think I over used it. Zekk will be over it by the time he makes his new one. It should be novel (I hope).

Which is... the next post! I think I'll post it Thursday night unless something crazy 8-} happens.
  13. NenYim Jedi Youngling

star 3
    I checked their ages... Zekk is older than Jacen. They just sound so much the same age when they talk, it's just a little hard to envision Zekk saying that. But you were right! So i was wrong.

Today is Thursday...more soon?
  14. Neo-Paladin Jedi Master

star 4
    Here is the latest instalment, from me to you. I hope you are looking for some lightsaber swinging action!

It was three and a half standard weeks before Zekk was able to finish his lightsaber. It took him a week of scrounging for the right parts alone, specifically the assembly for the distinctive handle Zekk had in mind. In the end Zekk?s old scrounging instincts came to the fore, and he was able to find exactly the right pieces, the pieces he knew he would find if he looked in the right places.

Zekk looked at his completed lightsaber, and was admittedly pleased. It was exactly as he saw it in his minds eye. He found all the right pieces at the right time. Ever since his friend Tenal Ka?s accident with an untested lightsaber it was standard procedure to have a master or knight examine a lightsaber and its construction before it was first activated. If the weapon was not up to standard it could fail at an inopportune moment or if badly misaligned it could explode at first activation.

On the other hand this was not the first or even the second lightsaber Zekk had made. He had made dozens before this, as exercises in his past. None this distinctive, most of those were assigned projects, created as an exercise and nothing more, but it gave him some experience. Zekk finished weighing the pros and cons, before simply feeling the harmony of the weapon its self. The elements were simple, construction complex, and the alignment necessarily precise. However Zekk could tell he had done his work well. Without thought, Zekk continued to feel the harmonies of energy and matter in his weapon, as his thumb pressed the activation button.

The energy in the powercell was released, filling the superconducting field regulators, plasma control units, energy arc systems, and then filling the focusing crystal. All in harmony. A brilliant green blade hummed before his face.

?That?s a lightsaber?? Jacen asked with amusement tingeing his voice.

Zekk looked down at his new lightsaber, the main part looked very much like a standard lightsaber, but at the end it curved around into a J-shape. The bend section was a little bit narrower than the main hilt, and only reached half the length of the body of the lightsaber.

?Don?t knock it till you try it.? Zekk said with a smile. He spun it in his hand and held the narrower part so that his lightsaber was held in a reverse grip with one hand. His thumb lifted a safety and tapped the activator set into the base of the bend and the lightsaber sprung to life, pointing down towards the ground, running parallel with his forearm. The distinctive handle gave Zekk a little more cushion along his forearm when holding his lightsaber in this underhand grip. The blade was a green that reflected startlingly in his eyes. The dark corona around Zekk?s green eyes seemed to glow with an inner light.

Jacen smiled at the abnormal lightsaber grip and drew his lightsaber as well. They began
    to dance around each other on the sparring pad. Zekk began to weave his lightsaber in a figure eight pattern that kept him covered defensively as they pushed back and forth trying to open an opportunity in the other?s defenses.

Jacen took the initiative and swung in with a lateral attack. Zekk?s weaving motion snapped into a block and instantly countered with a quick slash. Jacen moved back to get clear of the slash, surprise at the speed of the repost evident on his face. Jacen moved a little more warily, and slowly gave ground at Zekk?s advance. Zekk?s motion remained fluid and he sidled back and forth trying to keep Jacen off his equilibrium.

Unexpectedly Zekk charged forward, letting the tip of his lightsaber swing up towards Jacen. Jacen easily blocked, but before he could disengage Zekk?s left hand snaked forward and grabbed Jacen?s right wrist so Jacen?s right hand and Zekk?s lightsaber pinned Jacen?s lightsaber into place. Quickly Zekk performed a leg sweep, knocking Jacen to the ground.

Jacen freed his hands as he fell, and brought his lightsaber aroun/>
  15. Neo-Paladin Jedi Master

star 4
    Oh look, a post ^^^ hmm.

Oh, and NenYim, yeah, but its only two years, so it's hardly noticeable. I'm sure they don't notice either. :) They were giving each other a hard time, so I figured Zekk would play the age card. I rather imagine Jaina giving Jacen a hard time about that and she was only a few minutes older than her twin. ;)
  16. DathomiranAuthor Jedi Knight

star 3
    HI!!!!!!!!!

Cool so far. Write more you must. Love the action and the humor. I like how you capture Zekk. Must.....have.....more........

I know you can be stubborn, Jaina, but please talk to Zekk again. You'll make me sad if you don't. She will talk to him, won't she?

MTFBWY.
  17. Neo-Paladin Jedi Master

star 4
    Oh good, I was afraid I was all alone in here... ;)
    Welcome to the story DathomiranAuthor. Action and humor are two of the many things I love about the SW universe, so of course I've done what I can to put it into my stories.
    And of course you will have more! I'm thinking I'll post next Sunday. Look for it!

As for Jaina? ... Well, I want to keep my cards close to my chest on this story. You'll have to tell me how happy you are with me as the story progresses. :D
  18. NenYim Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Great lightsaber action! Lightsaber fights are always fun to read, and this one was fun. Very interesting lightsaber Zekk has...it reminds me Count Dooku's form the Attack of the Clones, his was shaped the same way. Is that where you got the idea from? And yes, Jaina must speak to Zekk again! What kind of job will he (Zekk) have for the Spec Force?
  19. Neo-Paladin Jedi Master

star 4
    Actually I thought of that lightsaber design before TPM came out. :eek: When I was younger (and watched the trilogy at least once a week) I would doodle lightsaber handles. Then I started to try to adapt other swordplay techniques, styles, and weaponry into my designs. I've always wanted to make a character with a unique design. I've got a few I think might be good and a few half a dozen that I've scrapped. I thought of the double bladed idea before TPM too, though apparently Dark Horse comics had the idea even before I did.

Anyway, I imagine the bend in Zekk's lightsaber to be more of a U-bend than Dooku's angle bend. The bend turns so the tail part is parallel with the main. I wrestled for awhile over wether I should describe it as a U-bend or a J-bend. In Times New Roman the capital letter J is much closer to what the whole lightsaber looks like in my head, so that's what I went with. Unfortunately the font that the board uses cuts the turn on the tail off, so its not as clear an illustration. *shrugs*

I suppose I can give away Zekk's job with out revealing too much. In Army documentation he'll be the team pilot, but unofficially he'll be the team Jedi (if he passes indoc of course, we can't make it too easy for the boy ;) ).
  20. Neo-Paladin Jedi Master

star 4
    Hello my wonderful readers. It's Sunday! Here's a post! Kinda short, but I hope it meets with your approval.

I still love response to my work, so feel free to share your thoughts with me on this!

First came an extensive security interview. The interviewers took issue with everything in Zekk?s past, practically from his birth to the interview its? self. Every part of his past they brought up was twisted into a reason that he was going to betray the Republic. It seemed to Zekk like they had a lot to work with, despite the fact that he was on a first name basis with the Solo family, was trained by Luke Skywalker and a Jedi Knight (albeit still in training). Zekk took a passive resistance approach, and did not defend himself, merely clarified facts on elements of the history they portrayed. Any conclusions they tried to draw from his history Zekk did not object to, no matter how derogatory, the most he would do is deflect slander. It was apparently not the approach they were expecting, and the interview lasted only a few hours.

Following this was the hell period known as indoc. Later Zekk would learn that two weeks was standard indoc for incoming spec force operatives. For Zekk it was twice that long. Zekk would also learn that indoc was usually completed in classes. Zekk was a class by himself.

Zekk was issued materials, and was moved aboard a ship, and told his destination was code named ?onus?, a planet with 2.74 standard gravities and was home to the Spec Force training center. They began much as Zekk thought they would.

They expected strict discipline from him. They tried applying more and more restrictions, but Zekk adapted to them nearly as quickly as orders could be given. His long hair was often an item of ridicule from the training officers, but they did not force him to cut it, so Zekk kept it long. Many times they would have Zekk doing exercises, and then try to surprise him with unexpected tasks, or rules that made it more difficult for Zekk to accomplish his never ending flow of menial tasks. Here remaining passive continued to be a key strategy.

Indoc was meant to test the limits of the participants. It pushed and pushed, throwing what seemed like every conceivable hardship upon those going through the training. It forced the participants to either break through the limits they put upon themselves or leave the program. SpecForce could afford none but the best. While indoc put a terrible burden upon the participants to see if they could stand under it, the Jedi praxium was the perfect preparations for indoc. Master Skywalker placed a small burden on everyone, and made them hold it in a new way. At first it seemed like nothing, but that nothing grew until those same limits were reached, and in time exceeded. It tested those going through, but it created an endurance far beyond what might be suspected.

It wasn?t until the second week that the true difficulties for Zekk began. Somewhere along the line Zekk suspected they got hints from Master Skywalker, as the training exercises were particularly geared towards what Zekk would find challenging. Primarily it was multiple exercises at once. The Praxium stressed being adaptable to a situation, ideally to the point of ?non-being?. Zekk wasn?t sure what that meant, but he wasn?t a master, so he didn?t worry about it. Regardless, as he proceeded the words of Master Skywalker echoed through his head and steadied his mind for the tasks given him.

?A Jedi simply does the work before him and then he steps back.?

?A Jedi does not make a choice; a Jedi walks the path before them. When there are two paths a true Jedi should not have to choose.?

?If you understand things, then they are the way they are, if you do not understand things, then they are the way they are.?

?Rushing into action, you fail.
    Trying to grasp things, you lose them.
    Forcing a project to completion, you lose what was almost ready.?

?The obstacle is the path.?

?The Jedi does not have any preconceived notions?not even the />
  21. NenYim Jedi Youngling

star 3
    You have singularly inspired more training exercises than any class has inspired since the formation of Spec Force under the Rebellion.
    Ha, I could just see Zekk doing that! :D

And I'm glad to see he got through indoc okay...:)

So you designed his lightsaber yourself? Wow...

Nice post!
  22. Neo-Paladin Jedi Master

star 4
    Ha, I could just see Zekk doing that!
    He does tend to be a magnet for abuse doesn't he? Maybe he's related to Obi-Wan... o_O

So you designed his lightsaber yourself? Wow...
    Like I said, I play around with ideas in my head. I wanted to come up with a design that would facilitate the Philippines underhand style of short sword fighting. I thought the secondary handle would reduce the risk of getting your forearm and elbow scorched. The secondary handle is probably superfluous, but it has the merit of making the design distinctive.
  23. VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus

star 8
    So sorry I missed this for the index. It will be listed in about two minutes. Thanks so much for PMing me!
  24. DathomiranAuthor Jedi Knight

star 3
    YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When's the next post?

This is getting exciting. Keep writing!

MTFBWY.

-Dathomiran
  25. Lusa_Thul Jedi Knight

star 4
    Gasp, I missed a post! Shame on me!! *is shamed*

Dude, that rocked! I absolutly loved it! You are doing an amazing job with this fic, and with Zekk! You did a great job describing his training; too much detail and it would have gotten broing, but too little would have left the readers wanteing more. You balanced it perfectly! :) :) :)

He was made to do complex arithmetic while doing basic Force exercises.

Poor Zekk! That was mean! Excuse me while I go comfort him!
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.