Beyond Zekk - Interludes: 1-7 ~ The Complete Serial ~

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Neo-Paladin, Jan 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. Zonoma Force Ghost

star 5
    *grumbles about stingy masters and the kriffin schedules*

Oh fine, I can wait. But I'm not happy.[face_not_talking]

Zonoma:p
  2. Neo-Paladin Force Ghost

star 4
  3. Zonoma Force Ghost

star 5
  4. Neo-Paladin Force Ghost

star 4
    Fleir was a windswept planet. It had a fast rotation, a hot star, and no vegetation to absorb the energy from wind gusts. The entire surface of the planet was reduced to wind scoured rock, and sand storms that roved the planet surface. Moisture was wicked out of the atmosphere by these sand storms, and the violence of the blowing sand accumulated static electricity until enormous lightening storms were generated in and around the edges of the sand storms. The lifeless exposed rock was pocked with marks from the strikes and then scoured clean by the sand storms again.

Other than the fact that it perfectly matched the description of the sixth circle of Corelian Hell, really was a beautiful planet.

Even if it had been a veritable Eden, Zekk would not have appreciated it. The Lightening Rod came out of Hyperspace over Fleir, and Zekk waited.

?All right, Hijdi,? Zekk said to himself. ?I?m here, now what??

After a few moments nothing happened until the sensor array picked up a signal. It originated in a region that was currently clear of the sand storms, though one front was approaching.

For a few moments Zekk considered landing on top of the transmitter, trying to crush it just for spite, but decided to just make a standard approach, and see what happened. Zekk made a textbook beacon approach, nothing unexpected or wild. If Hijdi brought Zekk here to ambush him there was nothing Zekk could do about it now.

Zekk was not surprised to complete his landing with out as much as a blip of mechanized activity on the planet. Zekk made a point of taking his time finished the cycle down procedure. He was tired of playing games, but if Hijid would insist, Zekk would play a few of his own. Once he had been quite good at games.

Zekk stood at the top of the ramp, waiting for it to open completely. Once the ramp touched the hard exposed rock of Fleir Zekk proceeded down it. Zekk was not even mildly surprised to find Hijdi waiting, facing Zekk as he left his ship, only 10 meters away as Zekk?s foot touched Fleir?s surface.

Hijdi drew his Force pike out slowly. He would need to close eight meters before it was effective.

Zekk drew his lightsaber out just as slowly. Zekk would have to close nine meters before it was effective.

Zekk held his lightsaber in front of himself horizontally. Zekk uncurled his fingers till his hand was a flat platform, and turned the palm of his hand over, letting his lightsaber drop to the sand scoured rock at his feet.

Hijdi stepped forward a pace, and gestured up.

Zekk?s lightsaber flew up, slapping into Zekk?s hand. Zekk?s hand closed around it reflexively. Zekk took a step forward, let it drop again, and kicked it away.

Hijdi scowled, and used the Force to send it flying towards Zekk?s head. Zekk easily caught it.

?Look at me!? Zekk said, breaking the silence between them. ?You?ve had me at your mercy at our every encounter. There is no reason to expect a fight between us now should be any different.? Zekk held his lightsaber hilt in front of himself in both of his hands.

Zekk grimaced as he began to twist the hilt with his bare hands. With the help of the Force the case crumpled under the pressure. Zekk felt the superconducting regulating coils snap and crumble against the hard crystals inside. The lightsaber would never be used again.

Zekk tossed the inoperable lightsaber across the six meters between them to land at Hijdi?s feet.

Hijdi stepped forward again, anger flashing in his grey eyes, but then paused as he regarded Zekk silently.

?You either brought me to this place to kill me or you didn?t? Zekk said stoically. ?You have to face for yourself why you brought me here. If you brought me here to kill me there is little I could do to stop you. You?re better trained than me; you are a better killer than me. It would be a matter of time.

If you brought me here to execute you?? Zekk paused, ?Then you are destined to be disappointed.?

Hijdi took a long-suffering breath. The strength in the man?s leathery face a
  5. Zonoma Force Ghost

star 5
    Master DNPQ,

:DYou've gone and done it again!

Other than the fact that it perfectly matched the description of the sixth circle of Corelian Hell, really was a beautiful planet.
    :D Your entire description of the planet was really cool but I loved how you tossed this in there to "lighten it up".

Zekk grimaced as he began to twist the hilt with his bare hands. With the help of the Force the case crumpled under the pressure. Zekk felt the superconducting regulating coils snap and crumble against the hard crystals inside. The lightsaber would never be used again.
    :eek:What the Kriff??!!:eek:
    :mad:Explain. NOW.:mad:

Hijdi took a long-suffering breath. The strength in the man?s leathery face and square jaw seemed to crack at Zekk?s words and crumble away. Hijdi?s force pike dropped from the ready position, and the point of the force pike rested on the gritty rock at his feet. Hijdi Qun very suddenly looked the age he truly was. Zekk could almost see Peckhem in Hijdi?s face.
    Beautiful scene. It was touching the way Zekk had compassion enough to relate this murder to his own rescuer/father figure. And Hijdi's death was not exactly what I had guessed but so very appropriate. Especially in that it looked like he was attempting to either rebuild a new Iquisition or commit suicide by Jedi.

Oh yeah! I loved the way you had Zekk resist destroying the transmitter out of spite and remembering that he,too, knew how to play games. It reminds us, too, that he was once the Darkest Knight and that he knows it. It makes his refusal of Hijdi's offer MUCH more poignant.

Looking forward to the epilogue.
    Zonoma
  6. jedi_of_ennth Force Ghost

star 4
    Great post! :D The planet was a beautifully chilling place for the "final showdown" between Zekk and Hijdi. :) I really liked the way you handled the meeting between the two. :)
  7. Neo-Paladin Force Ghost

star 4
    Thank you my Padiwan,
    to be honest I was afraid the last wouldn't live up to expectations. It ends with more of a sigh than a bang (so to speak). I didn't want it to be a letdown.

I hope you understand why Zekk destroyed his lightsaber now. ;)

After everything Zekk has gained the ability to empathize with anyone, even with his enemy. In my mind this is why he knew to just walk away in, 'Dark Journey' rather oppose Jaina.

The suicide was an element I liked for a few reasons. The memory of Vader was enough to drive Hijdi to his death, and nothing Zekk could say would dissuade him. Also using Force Lightening to call a lightening strike upon himself was a visual I really liked.

How I called back to The Darkest Knight is an element I really like to write Zekk. It's always there, but as an accent to whatever he is going to do. It just gets hard to continue to bring it up without playing the same note over and over again. But I thought it worked here.

I think you'll like the Epilogue. ;)
    Hi Jedi of Ennth.
    I'm glad you liked Fleir. It was no Mustifar, but it did just fine. :p
    It's great that you enjoyed the last meeting of Zekk and Hijdi.

Just the Epilogue and this tail will be done :eek: :D
    Some trip it's been, hua? If you've made it this far, thanks for riding along with me, all. :D/>
  8. Zonoma Force Ghost

star 5
    This "tale" makes me want to grab everyone by the ears and make them read it. I am mourning the ending already.:(
  9. Neo-Paladin Force Ghost

star 4
    Heh, thanks Z.
    I've always harbored the desire for more readers, but I suppose every writer does. o_O
    What can ya do, ya know?

I've got pretty mixed feelings about the end of Interludes myself.
    On one hand I'll be sorry to see this fall into the obscurity on the Bey.t.S. boards. I imagine there might be readers who will pick it up, or some who have fallen behind, but who knows how few and far between they will be.

On the other I'm pretty proud to have it all out there. I've had this done for awhile, but posting the last post will give me a sense of accomplishment as well.
  10. Zonoma Force Ghost

star 5
    You changed your sig!!

And we will just have to keep up the teachings of Sanah-Ah somewhere with a link to this as an added bonus! She rocks.
  11. Neo-Paladin Force Ghost

star 4
    You noticed!
    ;)

I'd like use San-Ah for our project too. I thought she was a fun idea to use.

Keep your eyes open for the next (and last) post!

edit: because here it is. I amended my schedule because I'll be gone most of the weekend.

Again, thank you to everyone reading, and an additional thank you to those who have taken the time to tell your impressions. I'm sure you all know what it means to me, just like you know I don't have the words to describe it. Thank you again.
  12. Neo-Paladin Force Ghost

star 4
    Epilogue:

Zekk returned to the Jedi Temple. He went right to Master Skywalker, who had been waiting for his return. Master Skywalker knew Zekk would report to him immediately, and Zekk knew Master Skywalker would be waiting for him.

Zekk gave him his report on everything that had happened, being discharged from Strike Team Xi, about Bulle?s mother and step-father, and then Hijdi?s death. It was cathartic. It drained out of Zekk everything that had had been accumulating since Bulle?s death, all the things he had carried with him.

When he was done he asked for only one thing. Privacy, a month to himself, isolated, and alone. Meals brought to his door, but no farther. Zekk desperately needed to regain his center.

Master Skywalker agreed.

Time passed, but without Zekk.

He meditated, he emptied his mind, and he let go of desires and wills and thoughts. He sought to find himself within his flesh, the place where he resided, a being of light.

The month ended, and the meals stopped coming.

Zekk left the room and entered the galaxy again.

He was given a few strange looks, but after a shave and a shower that passed. Zekk reentered life at the academy. He ate meals with the students practiced with the advanced students, taught basics to the beginning students. One was a 60 year old man. It was strange to Zekk to be teaching him the most basic of Force skills as he was so much older, but he had a discipline that came with maturity and learned quickly.

Zekk made a new lightsaber. The blade was a ruddy amber color, like the first lightsaber he had used as a Jedi. It had no secondary handle for using the underhand grip. The extra handle was mostly superfluous anyway. He could use the technique as easily with a standard hilt really. He had meant the new lightsaber to symbolize returning to what he was before encountering Hijdi.

After he finished it occurred to him that one could ever go back.

The lightsaber was of solid construction and he kept it.

After a time, Zekk recalled why he left the Academy to go on missions in the first place. Without his friends there it did not seem to fit, not like he remembered it. It was like living alone in a house too big for one person. It was preventing him from living in the moment.

Zekk returned to Corusant. He had no mission, but it was nice to stretch his legs again.

He and Pekham celebrated Peckham?s 89th birthday.

It was three weeks later that Zekk received word of Chewbacca?s death. He tried to get in to see Leia, but it was no use. He couldn?t even get into the same building as the former president. He asked the Academy for direction, but he was simply told they would contact him when they needed him.

It wasn?t long after that the death of Kyp Durron?s apprentice, Miko Reglia reached him. Miko was not as well a known personality as Chewie had been, and it took slightly longer for that news to filter down. Zekk hadn?t known Miko well, but well enough to be pained by the loss. Zekk again asked for direction, and again was told that he would be contacted if he was needed.

So, with nothing better to do, Zekk waited.

Zekk sat down at a narrow booth at restaurant and waited for the serving droid to arrive.

?How about some Jawa Juice?? a high pitched voice asked a few moments later.

Zekk looked down at the short alien in front of him. It looked exactly the same as Xigmid had looked the third time he had met the shape shifter, who had been trying to fool Zekk into thinking he was more than one person. Zekk?s eyes narrowed even as his grin widened.

?I was just thinking, one of the nice things about being a strike team is we have more latitude than most military units,? Nak offered conversationally as he walked up to Zekk?s seat. ?If I may, Sir?? Nak asked, motioning to the seat across from Zekk.

Zekk?s smile became bemused, and he nodded.

?It had better be two of the specials,? Captain Nak said as an aside to Xigmid.

?Latitude?? Zekk asked, as Xigmid
  13. Zonoma Force Ghost

star 5
    Master DNPQ,

If I may say so, that ending was just right. =D=Very satisfying without being cheesy. Thank you for this WONDERFUL experience.

Your humble padawan,
    Zonoma
  14. jedi_of_ennth Force Ghost

star 4
    Beautiful ending! =D= You wrapped this up very nicely. I have to say, it felt very, very strange to see mentions of the Yuuzhan Vong in this fic, even though I knew it would lead up to the NJO.

It was three weeks later that Zekk received word of Chewbacca?s death. He tried to get in to see Leia, but it was no use. He couldn?t even get into the same building as the former president.

I'll bet you anything that anti-Zekk Del Rey officials were the ones responsible for Zekk's inability to get in to see the Solos. [face_frustrated] :p

Once again, wonderful job wrapping this up! I've definitely enjoyed reading it! =D= =D=
  15. Neo-Paladin Force Ghost

star 4
    Thanks Padiwan.
    I?m glad you liked the ending. Where do I go from Interludes but into the NJO? o_O I wanted to set Zekk off on his next series adventures, and leave things open to the imagination. Where does S.T. Xi go from here, what impact do they have behind the scene? :D

It was my pleasure to write and share it, thank you for all your feedback.

I see you?re now humble [face_mischief] Well I?m still proud that you honored me by asking me to be your master. I look forward to our works together.

Thanks JoE.
    Well I didn?t name the Vong, but we all know what happened. I rather lay a lot of NJO?s lack of Zekk at the foot of RAS. He just didn?t research the characters he was writing when he wrote Vector Prime. It set a tone that the fans of the YJK were completely lost in.

Still, I like my explanation of where Zekk was for all the times Zekk wasn?t in NJO. He was making a difference working in covert ops.

I?m glad you enjoyed this. I enjoyed writing this, but knowing I?ve affected others is always a fulfilling feeling.
  16. Courtney_Solo Force Ghost

star 4
    END! THE END!!! NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :_|
  17. Neo-Paladin Force Ghost

star 4
    But Courtney, all stories have an arc, and Zekk - Interludes has reached the end of its arc. Yet, like all stories, new arcs follow, and it is left to your imagination to explore what happens beyond. :D
  18. Neo-Paladin Force Ghost

star 4
    So this is just a post for my readers who want to see more of this story line...
    there is more!
    My very capable padiwan is writing a story that everyone who liked Interludes should read. :D
    Go check it out. Worth Saving

Go! Go! Go!
  19. Zonoma Force Ghost

star 5
    Master,

You are incredible. Thank you!

20. DathomiranAuthor Force Ghost

star 3
    Bump!

Don't worry, I haven't forgotten about this fic, although it probably seems like I have after all this time.... School has been keeping me busy.

So I will catch up as soon as I have the chance.

Anyway, yay for Zekk!
  21. Neo-Paladin Force Ghost

star 4
    Hey! I remember this Fic!

Man, who wrote this drivel?

:p

It's great to see you DA. Thank you for thinking of me. I'd love to know what you think when you get the time. :D
  22. Lady_Jedi_Carenix Jedi Master

star 4
    After a much longer delay that I had anticipated or wanted [face_blush], I finally have replies for Interlude 5 done! Woo-hoo! :D Here's hoping it's worth the delay.

5-30

I?m really quite fond of Strike Team Xi. Each character has their own personality and how each character interacts with Zekk just makes me love them even more as I get to learn more about their character along with Zekk?s from his reactions.

??We?ve got a multi-op.?

The ret of Strike Team Xi groaned but Zekk who raised a hand and said, ?Sorry, apparently that one?s missing from my spook-speak lexicon.?

:D That?s just so Zekk. I like how the explanation for the term just flows with the conversation. I also liked that the briefing had enough details to explain what was going on but also kept short enough so it doesn?t read like a lecture.

?So what?s the problem with Y-wings?? Kyian asked.

?The right ship for the right job,? Zekk explained. ?Y-wings are a sturdy, versatile platform, but not a very maneuverable one, so they have issues in a furball??

Whether or not its canon or an NP original ;), I always feel like I?m getting quite the education about how things are in the ?Star Wars? universe or at the very least makes me stop to think about something I hadn?t before. I love that. :D

I?m very intrigued with the mentioning of Strike Team Wolf Pack. [face_thinking]

6-2

I thought it was a nice touch using how Gris and Xigmid approach landing as a way to show the different personalities. :)

Zekk?s thoughts on music were amusing and interesting to read. I don?t like listening to the radio much anymore since they usually play the same thing over and over again, so it makes sense that there?s also the over-played ?popular? music in a GFFA. ;) [face_laugh]

?OK,? Zekk said, ?Time to go play Red Five ? in a Y-wing?

LOL [face_laugh]

6-3

:eek: :D [face_love]

If I were to quote what I particularly enjoyed about this post, I?d be reposting the entire post. The fire-fight, the wit, the quick thinking, the use of the Force?this was a perfect piece of writing. Period.

I don?t really know what else to say other than this was perfect. :D

6-9

Yay Peckhum! Poor guy doesn?t get a whole lot of attention even though there?s plenty of uncovered ground with him. But I digress? ;)

The back-story for Zekk is very well done. Is the ?Space Gypsy? an NP original or something very obscure in the ?Star Wars? cannon? :confused: Regardless, I like the thought that Zekk had given some reason as to why and how he could get away with stowing aboard ships and also where he learned some of his mechanical skills.

Peckum served in the Clone Wars? *starts to do the math* Well, he definitely lives up to his ?Old Man? nickname, then. ;) I like the nice continuity ties of the Clone Wars and having Peckhum remember the Inquisitors (as it seems to me that the ?Old Man? would just know all kinds of strange and interesting stuff).

The Force exercise with the water was neat. ?Control, control, you must learn control!? a wise old Jedi master once said. ;) :D. San-Ah?s cryptic words of wisdom are as wise and cryptic as ever and I like it.

6-18

Aww, Zekk and Bulle are on a date. [face_love]

?How she managed to remain virginal in that two piece outfit, I can?t imagine,? Bulle added.

:eek: :eek: :eek: Have I mentioned how much I love Bulle lately? [face_laugh]

??And why was it Uth-Are?s tunic never seemed to last a whole fight??

?Well, that I didn?t mind so much,? Bulle replied with a sly grin.

Hmmm? [face_love] *thinks happy thoughts* [face_devil]
    Nice to see some of San-Ah?s work with Zekk is there subconsciously so that he sort of kind of remembers it.

?I just thought of something,? Zekk said.

?I?ll alert the authorities,? Bulle said wryly.

[face_laugh] Bulle has some of the best one-liners. :D

?A Jedi? Here on Bastion?? Nolin asked, with apparent app
  23. Neo-Paladin Force Ghost

star 4
    My jaw dropped twice, once in feigned surprise when I saw Interludes was on the first page, then in delight I saw you were back, Carenix. :D

I?m glad you like the members of Xi. I tried very hard to make them distinct characters that were diverse, interesting, and easily recognizable. I also tried to give each their ?page time? so everyone could get to know them and care about them. From time to time I consider doing something further with them.

I tried to make the briefing informative and progress the plot without being a knowledge dump. I?m glad you liked it.

Yeah, Zekk?s musical tastes are a warped reflection of my own tastes for Indie music. I might feel guilty about that if I wasn?t writing this for my own amusement. :p And besides I liked playing with GFFA pop culture as a reflection of our own.

I?m glad you liked the dogfight. I hadn?t done one yet, and figured it was time. The trick with the magnetic fields came after re-reading YJK a year after taking a Space Physics course.
    Plasma! Bwwahahaha! [face_devil]
    :p

Yeah, Peckhum was a late addition in the editing process. I sort of had a :oops: moment when I realized he wasn?t featured, and went to work.
    I figured Peckhum is a little older than Anakin Skywalker, so yeah, up there, but this is the GFFA with fantastic medicine and so forth, so I thought it worked.

The Space Gypsies aren?t cannon that I?m aware of. I?ve seen the name in another fanfic somewhere, but I went a completely different direction with it. I thought it added flavor to the universe.

Yeah, Bulle is great. She was so much fun to write. I was thrilled when she got a nomination for best original female character.

I?m pleased you followed what happened on Bastion. There were pieces dropped in earlier Interludes that you had to remember to get everything that happened in 5. I guess it worked.

And I?m glad you enjoyed the cloak and dagger elements of the story.

Of course I wanted Hijdi to be a particular kind of villain. I wanted him to be a great enough threat that he had gravity, but not really a galaxy spanning threat. I think I caught that balance pretty well. He is very sharp and devoted. He?s a fanatic.

I?ll look forward to your impressions of 6 and 7 then. :D
  24. Neo-Paladin Force Ghost

star 4
    Well, the noms have been tallied, and this bit of text has made the cut yet again. :D
    I?ve been nommed for:
    Best Action
    Best Canon
    Most Underrated

I missed getting a nom for Best Canon Interpretation: Male for Zekk by *this* much. :p
    Thank you to those who?ve nominated me. To me, seeing this get nominated again means my work has really grabbed my readership and has staying power with them, despite all its flaws. Thank you all for your words and actions of support for this little endeavor, and thank you all for letting my words take you to a Galaxy Far Far Away?

:)
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.