main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Zekk, Next Sith Lord? (Fury Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by BROWNHORNET, Jan 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kenobi_Kid

Kenobi_Kid Jedi Padawan star 4

May 5, 2005
    Seems in keeping with the character then. :p

*ducks before Zekk fans can blast him*

This has me thinking though. Has there ever been a characater in Star Wars who fell to the Dark Side, was redeemed, and fell again?

2. RushinSundaws

RushinSundaws Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 23, 2005
    It seems very possible Zekk could fall back into the grasp of the Dark Side...but also greatly out of character, even though that scene shows he will do ANYTHING to save Jaina from harm if possible. Really, by the end of the series I don't really see Zekk falling, but possibly getting killed by Caedus...and I like Zekk's character, it just seems...inevitable to me, and I think Jaina needs another reason to fight Caedus other than believing only She can stop him.

3. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    It didn't occur to me until right now, but...having to kill your own brother really is the sort of thing that would force a person out of their normal, comfortable way of life into looking for something else to do.

4. RushinSundaws

Feb 23, 2005
    Hmmm...that's quite true...and astute. I hadn't thought of that...crap!

5. Darth_Sabith

Darth_Sabith Jedi Master star 4

Oct 17, 2006
    I don't think Jaina will become a sith though she would have made a better one then Jacen in my opion...

6. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    While this will make Zekk more interesting than he's been since ... well, EVER, he won't become a Sith.

7. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    It was great to see him have those dark thoughts when interacting with Ship though.

8. KnightDawg

KnightDawg Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 26, 2007
    Why not? He's already fallen once and only those that are exteremely strong in the force can completely come back to the light. His dark side is sitting dormat and waiting...........

9. DarkScythe

DarkScythe Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 11, 2002
    Where are you getting that from? I can't recall a single instance where it's been said only those strong in the force can come back to the light?

And besides even if that were true Zekk is strong in the force. He's not top tier(for non-Skywalkers) but he's above average based on what was said when he was recruited to the shadow academy.

10. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    IWoD here we come!

11. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    It did it for Sagoro Autem.

12. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Except Autem ran from the Empire. I'm thinking Jaina will do the opposite.

13. RushinSundaws

Feb 23, 2005
    [face_laugh]=D=:_|

14. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    "She was seduced by the Empire. When that happened she ceased to Jaina Solo and became the IWoD."

15. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    Because he's a minor character (at best) and it wouldn't move the plot forward any.

16. KnightDawg

KnightDawg Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 26, 2007

Sorry....I forgot A'Sharad Hett was such a major character before he became Darth Krayt as well. [face_laugh]

17. sonnymyson

sonnymyson Jedi Master star 3

Dec 7, 2004

I beg to differ. [face_not_talking]

18. SephyCloneNo15

SephyCloneNo15 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 9, 2005
    Regardless of the identity, this thread has brought up a good concept. I want to see a Banite legacy right up to (and possibly through) the emergence of the Kraytians in 130 ABY. If we could get Banites -even simply manipulating from behind the scenes- in later novels, and perhaps a Banite pair during Legacy, that would be so cool. Maybe they would work with Kraytians; maybe work against them. Who knows? Let's just not kill Bane's order completely again yet.

19. Rouge77

Rouge77 Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2005
    I can't see Banite Sith working together with the New Sith Order - using the One Sith for their own ends? Sure. But not working together.

I wouldn't mind seeing them in Legacy, another side more wouldn't change things much. But at most I can currently see some Sith survivor getting her hands on Bane's Holocron and returning to the Rule of Two at the end of Legacy, after the Rule of One has been discredited and the New Sith Order destroyed. (Darth Krayt's own Holocron will of course make possible the new rise of Rule of One later in the future.)

The fact that Jacen hasn't got Bane's Holocron goes against identifying him or any possible Sith followers of his with Bane's Order. The Holocron would give legitimacy and direct link to Bane's teachings. Yet Jacen hasn't got it, like he hasn't got a single Sith Holocron.

Because of the same reason, Banite Sith independent of Jacen in the Legacy era seem unlikely also as long as Darth Krayt has Bane's Holocron. It's interesting where he got it from? Lumiya? Some other Dark Side Adept of Palpatine's?

20. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    I don't think Lumiya had Bane's holocron. I don't think most Banite Sith had Bane's holocro, just like not every Jedi studies holocrons.

Also, I'm hating that Bane loses the orbalisks...

21. THE_PIED_PIPER

THE_PIED_PIPER Chapter Rep Knoxville, TN star 4

Jun 8, 2006

That's Right! Game Over.

It is by far what is best for the franchise.

Jaina and Jag's union will be the best thing to happen to the EU in year's. Del Rey is not going anywhere, and Jag [face_love] is their VERY popular character who will almost certianly be Emperor. I have no doubt's that he will live a long and fulfilling life with Jaina by his side.

This union of course will put Lord Vader's bloodline on the Imperial throne which will complete the whole essence of the story of Star Wars.

Hint's the name Emperor Ro(H)an Fel. He believes in having backups, because there's nothing like a good blaster at your side kid.

And I really think a Jag/Jaina/Zekk dynamic in the Empire would be great, and would serve to satisfy a very large fanbase. However, I do think that Zekk will never be quite the same after what happened in that astroid field. Not darkside exactly.....just different. This is something that only Jaina and Jag could understand. Either way I see them using Zekk for years to come, I don't think he'll die in LotF.

22. SephyCloneNo15

SephyCloneNo15 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 9, 2005

23. Myself656

Myself656 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 5, 2008
    My deep thoughts? Given Han's thoughts about having Waroo aboard the Falcon (how he had at one point envisioned someday handing the Falcon over to Jacen and Waroo to continue the family tradition) and his later allowing Jag to fly the Falcon (and his thoughts shortly after the rescue that maybe he was glad to not be flying this once after all) and I could see DelRey playing around with a next generation set-up vary similar to original.

My thinking in this is that DelRey may have come to the point that they realize it's time to be moving the Big Three off center stage (they can still have some roles; Luke as Jedi Grandmaster/Mentor for example) and other generation (while they still have some left) and that the best way to keep the casual reader coming back in that situation is to set up the new cast in a manner similar to the original.

You can already see the build-up I think for Jag as the new Han Solo-ish character. Jaina as the Leia-like character (only a full Jedi and great pilot herself) is an easy leap to make, which would make Zekk a stand-in for the early (pre-sibling revelation) Luke (best friend to Han while simultaneously a rival for Leia's affections). Throw in Waroo as first mate on the Falcon (Han and Leia having retired to help raise/protect Allena) and the droids and you've got a lot of the same dynamics that Star Wars used to have. Top it off with Ben for the Skywalker name and as something to keep it from being a carbon copy of the originals and you're golden.

It's even pretty easy to explain to a new-comer... you've got Han and Leia's daughter, Chewie's son, Luke's son, Wedge's nephew, the droids and the Falcon all as connections to the original crew. Zekk is the only one who isn't a descendent of some known movie character at all, but his role in the group dynamics is pretty familiar to anyone who's watched the movies. If Caedus lives they can even be heroes of a rebellion against an evil Sith-led galactic superpower (with familial ties to one of the heroes) to boot.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that Zekk is too useful on the light-side as part of potential future character dynamics for him to go Sith. If they really want a strong Sith villain for a while I'd think it would be easier for them to just find a way for Caedus to survive past Invincible (which he might... if he really wants to follow in his grandfather's footprints he needs to be apparently killed/left for dead, but survive to return more fearsome than before).

24. THE_PIED_PIPER

THE_PIED_PIPER Chapter Rep Knoxville, TN star 4

Jun 8, 2006
    [face_peace] I like the way you think. :D

Absolutely! And welcome!

25. Myself656

Myself656 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 5, 2008
    Thanks. The critical point to me in why they won't have Zekk go Sith is that they'll just have spent nine novels building one up. If they really want an ongoing menace with emotional ties to Solo/Skywalker clan they don't need to turn Zekk into a Sith, they just need to ensure Jacen/Caedus doesn't die.

"Hey, I know we just spent a whole nine books building him up into a Sith, but let's just kill Jacen off and have Zekk turn evil next."

That statement just doesn't made sense to me from a writing standpoint which is why I doubt DelRey would go there. Frankly, I think the name Jacen Solo would sell more books in the long run than Zekk just because he's got the Solo name, which makes another strike against DelRey going that way if they have a choice in the matter.

To my mind, if they're going to keep the Baneite Sith around as a threat it just makes more sense for Jacen to survive in some fashion. Heck, given how many comparisons have been made on this board to LotF mirroring the prequals, it might even be that whoever cuts down Caedus winds up not being able to deliver the killing stroke and/or leaves him for dead only to have him recover and return more powerful than before down the line. It's just too easy to spare Jacen somehow for a later return when compared to having to tell ANOTHER fall from grace story to reach the same point he's at now with Zekk.

What would be interesting for Zekk though is if Han and Leia get sick of him having no last name and, because of all the help he's given to the family tell him he can use the "Solo" surname since he's become like a son to them (call it a very late informal adoption if you must). It would also reinforce the "like a brother to me" parallels in a Jag/Jaina/Zekk dynamic and allow for the possibility of a future character bearing the Solo name popping up in the Legacy era.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.