main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Zekk or Jagged?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by UltimateMandalore, May 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    Fair enough

2. Hananiah

Hananiah Jedi Master star 4

Jan 15, 2003
    I vote for Jagged. I do like Zekk but the way he is portrayed with Jaina makes him seem weak. I think he needs to find a nice Jedi girl who will cause him less grief.

The reason I like Jag and Jaina is that they are a parralel relationship of Han and Leia and even years after they split up there is still sparks between them and when Jaina's thoughts become romantic it is with Jaf Fel in mind

3. Commander5052

Commander5052 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 28, 2005
    Jagged.
    One of the few reasons I kept reading the NJO was wanting to know what new twist the relationship between the Baron's son and Han's daughter would go through, and Jaina's "relationship" with Zekk struck me more as something Lusa, Tenel Ka, and that other girl from the YJK books would gossip about, as opposed to a real relationship.

4. Furyan_Jedi_13

Furyan_Jedi_13 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 6, 2007
    I still prefer Zekk, but at this point, both he and Jag need to grow in order to be good for Jaina. :rolleyes:

5. EvieSolo

EvieSolo Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 11, 2005
    Sure, do that! I'm not really into slash, so I probably wouldn't read any fanfics about it (maybe very humorous ones), but I'll still support that relationship for the good of the GFFA and Jaina's nearly non-existent role in the current novels.

So, anyone got an idea for a signature line? :)

Kyp has become very boring now... ;)
    As for if he's interested in her: Judging by the show he put up for her once in LotF (ship lifting) I'm not so sure he's over her.

Jaina/Boba: Oh boy, and people were freaking out over the K/J age difference. ;) Still, probably more interesting then Zekk or Jag.

6. Furyan_Jedi_13

May 6, 2007
    Kyp has become very boring now...
    As for if he's interested in her: Judging by the show he put up for her once in LotF (ship lifting) I'm not so sure he's over her.

He probably is, but for all we know, the authors are distracting us with the other two, while Kyp could win out in the end.

But there is a good chance that this will not actually be resolved in LOTF. It could just end with all three parting as friends, and nothing more.

7. EvieSolo

Mar 11, 2005
    Parting in whatever way would be the best solution. I honestly am so over Jaina's love life and Jaina herself. :rolleyes:

8. Alpha-02

Alpha-02 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2006
    At least there's hope from the passage that Sue posted I suppose

"Ha, ha -- very funny," Jaina said. "What part of not interested don't you two understand?"

The thing is that if this isn't resolved in Inferno I don't see Allston or Traviss doing it, and it's unlikely to be important enough to feature in the final book of the series, so it will just drag on some more, unless it is all going to be wrapped up in a big plot leading Jaina to confront Jacen.

9. Darth_Lex

Darth_Lex Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2002
    Umm... In Dark Journey there was a bit of Jaina/Kyp/Jag romantic tension. In Rebel Dream, Allston wrote Kyp out of the picture with a nice rooftop picnic, and proceeded to write a Jaina/Jag duology. So don't count out the possibility of Allston doing the resolving. ;)

Although I'm inclined to agree that if someone is going to write Zekk out of the triangle, it's going to be Denning. He likes Zekk, and he'd want to give him a worthy exit. :) (Or death. [face_devil] ) And Allston would probably be just as happy to get to write another J/J book with the triangle already gone. :p

10. Alpha-02

Nov 14, 2006
    I'm not completely ruling it out as a possibility, perhaps what I should have said is that Denning is by far the most likely to resolve this triangle. Also with the way that the authors have pretty much stuck by their pet characters it's unlikely that if J/J/Z is to be resolved in this series it would be by someone other than Denning, who uses them by far the most.

11. EvieSolo

Mar 11, 2005
    I think she's just playing hard-to-get or leading-them-on-till-she-decides.

I've lost my hope that Star Wars will ever be good again.

12. Sirius_Scott

Sirius_Scott Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 23, 2007
    I vote Zekk.

But, I'm also convinced that he won't make it out of LotF. Tragic romance ahoy!

13. Furyan_Jedi_13

May 6, 2007
    I really wish that people would give Zekk just a little bit more credit.

14. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    I vote for Jag, if only for the fact that the Fel line has to start somewhere.

15. Furyan_Jedi_13

May 6, 2007
    I vote for Jag, if only for the fact that the Fel line has to start somewhere.
    There are other places it could start. Jag could marry another Force-sensitive woman. Or perhaps a Fel boy could marry Allana and make an Imperial/Hapan alliance.

For all we know CEM could start the Fel dynasty.

16. _Tenel_Ka_

_Tenel_Ka_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 11, 2001
    Aha! But it seemed like Allston and EC were the only ones that thought about the Kyp angle and while Allston concluded it in RD/RS, the fact that he brought it up again in Exile makes me wonder if it's kind of his thing. He likes to use it to contrast things perhaps?

I'm for Jag, because he's such a great character. I particularly like him the way Allston write him: smart, able to hold his own against the Jedi, talented, and with hidden facets of emotion.

Note: Guys, girls do like their men with a little bit of mystery. And that's a point in Jag's favour.

Also, it's simply being set up that way. They had their memorable meeting in DT, the interesting dynamics in DJ, the banter and antagonism in RS/RD, and one very memorable first kiss... All in all, a good start. But why rush things and then not have the anticipation? It's annoying, but I think it's better overall this way. When two characters get together, it's sometimes less satisfying than the lead up to when they actually hook up.

17. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    You do realize that Allston has written three J/J/Z books to Denning's two? Denning toyed strongly with the group dynamic in DN, but Allston is the one actually writing the major interaction between all three.

18. Furyan_Jedi_13

May 6, 2007
    Just throwing this out there. Allston may have written when Jaina and Jag first got together, but he also wrote Betrayal, and in that book, I believe he did a decent job with Jaina and Zekk's relationship. He didn't make them seem like a romantic couple, but he did show how effective they were as a team.

And he does seem more interested in writing space combat, so I'd say that there's a good chance that he will focus on that in Fury. But I will agree that Denning will probably address this more than Allston or Traviss. I mean, he's the one that made a whole mess of this issue, so technically speaking, it's his job to clean it up.

But I will also agree that this whole thing has gone on for far too long. Theoretically speaking, both relationships should be dead by now, so if Jaina does choose either one of them, she will essentially be recycling an old relationship. And like one of the villains in the first season of 24 said: "If Plan A fails, you should have a Plan B, not Plan A recycled."

You do realize that Allston has written three J/J/Z books to Denning's two? Denning toyed strongly with the group dynamic in DN, but Allston is the one actually writing the major interaction between all three.
    Really, which books were these?

19. Alpha-02

Nov 14, 2006
    I don't, it may just be my memory but IIRC Allston used J/J/K a lot in EL, whereas Zekk wasn't really a major focus, I don't think he even appeared in EL2 at all. The major plot for J/J/K focused around Twins Suns Squadron after Jaina took command from Luke, Kyp was TS2 and Jag TS3, Zekk wasn't even in TSS, although he did fight at Borleais. I thought that after the events of SbS and DJ he decided to distance himself from Jaina because he didn't simply want to fall into the darkness with her. It's been a while since I read EL though, so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Either way Allston has certainly played around a good amount with Jaina's relationships, or lack thereof, but when it comes to J/J/Z I think Denning has played around with that particular group dynamic much more and it seems that he will continue to play with it in Inferno judging from the excerpt. Also it was Allston in Betrayal who got Zekk's age completely wrong, not something you would do with a character you really cared about, if this is to be resolved, I still think Denning will be the one to do it.

20. Ethelwulf

Ethelwulf Jedi Youngling

Jul 12, 2007
    Allston did focus on Jaina/Jag/Kyp (though effectively wrote Kyp out of it forever) inthe NJO, but to be honest even though he has done quite some work on the whole, long and painfully drawn out issue of Jaina's love life, I'm not so sure he would do so with Zekk/Jaina/Jag in Fury.

At the moment (to me atleast) it looks like they're trying to repair the damage done in DN between Jaina/Jag and Zekk is just there to add some tension and/or possibility of it not going the way it seems to be. Might seem a bit to much like a rehash of the work he did in Enemy Line's if it does turn out to be Jaina/Jag and so far he seems more focussed on the Antilles/Horn's as 'his sub-plot' as it were, so it may well be up to Denning to sort it all out.

Personally think they should either wrap it up with them all as just friends or get her and Jag back together and leave it there. Since they wrote Kyp out already (and seem to have made that permanent with his mystery woman, which is a shame since he would have been a effective way of getting out of the Zekk/Jaina/Jag triangle), if it has to be either Zekk or Jagged, then I just see it all pointing at Jagged.

As for the events in NJO, well, Zekk did effectively run away from her (even if it was out of fear of falling) while Jagged was basically supportive/there when she needed it on Borleias. She does an awful lot of thinking about Jag for the amount of page time she gets atleast and the only recent stuff in Zekk's favour really is the whole joiner issue which was basically resolved already.

Either way, it really needs to end with LOTF, if they drag it out much longer it's just going to be a bit pathetic/sad and remove much point of having Jaina involved in the major plots (not that she really is now either).

21. Furyan_Jedi_13

May 6, 2007
    I think Denning has played around with that particular group dynamic much more and it seems that he will continue to play with it in Inferno judging from the excerpt. Also it was Allston in Betrayal who got Zekk's age completely wrong, not something you would do with a character you really cared about, if this is to be resolved, I still think Denning will be the one to do it.
    I agree. It's his mess, let him clean it up! Let Allston focus on the fighter pilots. It's what he does best.:cool:

And I think it's safe to say that Traviss won't focus on it, right?o_O

the only recent stuff in Zekk's favour really is the whole joiner issue which was basically resolved already.
    Yeah, but he hasn't abandoned her since then. And in Tempest, it shows how effectively they can work as a team.

Either way, it really needs to end with LOTF, if they drag it out much longer it's just going to be a bit pathetic/sad and remove much point of having Jaina involved in the major plots (not that she really is now either).
    It's already quite pathetic. So yeah, it does need to end with LOTF. It's supposed to be Star Wars, not some lame cheesy daytime soap opera.

22. sonnymyson

sonnymyson Jedi Master star 3

Dec 7, 2004
    I vote Kyp/Jaina/Zekk, and Jag/Alema. Y'all know it's right,deep down.

23. iamobiwan1970

iamobiwan1970 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 23, 2005
    Unless Kyp and Zekk were brothers! :eek: [face_laugh]

Back to the chronology of this agony:

After Zekk leaves Jaina and she runs around first with Kyp then later with Kyp and Jag we see that as the dynamic. sure later on we discover Jag was more than happy to vote Zekk off the island (but we did not know that at the time we read EL that Jag was jealous). So as the final half of the NJO plays out we see Jag as the lover and Kyp as the friend. By TUF when Jaina tells Jag no, his first response is : "Is it Kyp?" So obviously there was still a little jealousy there.

Anyway, my point: Jaina's relationship with Zekk and Kyp was reset for DNT. There's like, no history there! She dreams of Jag, so at least there's a tiny connection to that relationship and Han Solo makes odd comments about liking Kyp more.

Resetting characterization sucks! The fact that these authors can't hold it together is becoming irksome to me (I'm on my 2nd year of EU reading...is this normal?) This whole arguement is tedious and shouldn't even happen. In real life Jaina would be pathetic! Get a real boyfriend or stay single. But why would she still consider either her HS boyfriend [Zekk]or her college boyfriend [Jag] when she is in her 30's!!!! Move on!!!! :mad: It's becoming a weak, stupid, story line. I'm glad Allston gave Kyp a woman. I guess you don't come to your senses in the SW universe until you are in your 40's!!!

Sorry 'bout the rant! [face_blush]

24. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    At the LOTF panel at C4 Allston said that he preferred Jaina/Jag, but Denning prefers Jaina/Zekk...

25. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    No, not really wrong. Zekk was around, yeah, but not major. My main point was that Allston has been writing just as much, if not more, of Jaina's relationships than Denning. Denning never wrote a significant Jaina romance dynamic in the NJO, while Allston wrote two books of significant development. Denning jerked a lot of strings around between the trio in DN, but in LOTF, Allston's got as much of the dynamic going as Denning -- both have had the relationships in all their books so far. Denning has toyed with it more openly, but Allston has written far more meat, so I really don't see how Denning is the only natural choice to clean things up.

The age thing was actually a remnant of the setting changing from, I think, 37 ABY to 40. So Allston didn't screw up; he had it right, and then it got messed up when the dates and year-references were edited. And as I said, Denning toyed with it in DN by throwing up some J/J roadblocks and reemphasizing the fact that Zekk hadn't gotten over Jaina and throwing the two together, and then addressed the J/Z by having Zekk get over her in Tempest . . . but Allston actually wrote the books in which Jaina and Jag first got together, wrote Zekk as a romantic interest in Betrayal, and then with Exile wrote the only actual J/J/Z material in the world in which the three share significant facetime together. Really, I don't think it's half so cut-and-dried as you suggest.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.