main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Zekk.....(Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by darthjulian777, Mar 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    That or they could let her finish it and then we can read it.

2. son_of_skywalker03

son_of_skywalker03 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    Finish what? After all that time she was given, she hadn't shown anything to the publisher.

3. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    I didn't know all that..

4. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    lol. You know, I was just thinking this this morning. It is too bad Cunningham was our only shot at ever getting the Zekk story.

5. DarthDragon164

DarthDragon164 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    I think it's a story that needs told. It's sorta weird that he shows up in Backlash with no explanation and no one raises an eyebrow. Since Cunningham dropped the ball, maybe give the project to someone else to write...

6. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    I wouldn't mind going back in time and reading Blood Oath or some other Zekk book after the fact. (In MMPB format that is) Allston startled me with Zekk's abrupt recap. It was like, oh yeah and Zekk's alive and this junk happened. I mean he summarized two years of the nagging mystery of Zekk in a sentence or two.

Did or does Del Rey have plans for Zekk in Hapes? Dang, now I really want to read a Zekk-oh forget it. I just remembered Zekk was the most boring underdeveloped Jedi ever.I-)

7. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    Zekk was alright back in the day. His dark jedi days were interesting, and his bounty hunting phase as well, even though I don't know how many bounties he captured.

8. fanboyskywalker

fanboyskywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 3, 2008
    The thing that bugs me is I think this book was primarily written after they knew Blood Oath was getting cancelled. And it's not like they couldn't have easily worked in a few more bits about Zekk. I seriously hope we get more about it in the next book.

9. son_of_skywalker03

son_of_skywalker03 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    You do have to remember that Allston is still recovering from major heart surgery.

10. fanboyskywalker

Apr 3, 2008
    No excuse because he wrote most of the book after that.

11. carr3107

carr3107 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 8, 2008
    Not telling Zekk's "backstory" is a choice, and not neccessarily a lazy one. For Zekk's role in this book, there is absolutely no point in telling the story. It isn't relevant to the main plot. If they leave his story open NOW then they can tell it (presumably in more detail) LATER. When you write one story, you foreclose others. Good professional writers know this. They try to avoid uneccessarily writing themselves into a corner.

Given that Sue & Co have been responsive to many of fan complaints and they have had commerical sucess with Death Troopers and Crosscurrent, I would not be suprised if they are waiting to see what the feedback on Zekk
    is before comitting to another book. That said, given the uproar over Blood Oath's cancellation, I don't think they'll make any announcement until they have the manuscript in hand.

12. FelsGoddess

FelsGoddess Jedi Master star 5

Sep 5, 2004
    Luke doesn't seem to have the ability to be IN CHARGE. His edicts never last long. He's not that great with punishments either.

I was surprised they even thought about doing a whole book dedicated to Zekk. Seemed like a random choice.

13. fanboyskywalker

Apr 3, 2008
    That's just crazy. It's relevent because the last time we saw him he was presumed dead. If you bring him back you owe a little bit of backstory since that is the beauty of a novel, unlike film, it's not a srictly visual medium so you can include a few extra lines that don't need to be strictly "seen."

I understand if they make a conscious (?) choice to keep him mysterious, but they basically shoehorned him in because of a cancelled novel so it reads like it was done half-asssed.

As far as writing themselves into a corner... have you not been reading SW novels very long?

14. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    lol. I feel this way about Jaina/Jag. Not that they are underdeveloped, just that as characters, they have no chemistry together. Although, Jaina didn't with Zekk, either. I literally could not force myself to read the Jaina/Jag parts in Backlash the first time, when I forced myself to for the sake of completeness, it was pretty miserable.

I agree that Zekk is underdeveloped, and as a pretty interesting character, I thought for once Del Rey had made the right choice to develop his character more. The book looked promising.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.