main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Zelda Fans Come Hither...

Discussion in 'Community' started by alpha_red, May 11, 2004.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    It'd be great if you just heard the AOL Return of Ganon laugh each time you used him.

Rew likes this.
  2. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    BTW 2Q, I neglected to say this earlier, but as a 35-year-old fan of the Zelda series who started out with the NES original duology (before there even was such a thing as a Super Nintendo), I loved your collection of art for the original LoZ enemies. =D=

The2ndQuest likes this.
  3. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008

*wonder what
    *too easy

Dammit I hate spotting typos after the edit window is over. [face_shhh]

4. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Thanks- it was fun and I enjoyed the challenge from both the design POV I mentioned earlier and the method/medium (the paper didn't lend itself well to heavy pencil use/erasing so everything had to be done on the first pass with the markers, which meant I was stuck with any mistakes I made and had to make them work somehow).

I will say I did gain an additional appreciation for the dungeon entrances- I always sorta ignored those sprites (beyond the iconic tree for The Eagle) since they're somewhat generic on the surface but the little details and differences I noticed while translating them made them a lot more interesting.

Rew likes this.
  5. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008

It turns out I was right!

http://nintendoeverything.com/famitsu-sheds-light-on-zelda-twilight-princess-hds-amiibo-features/

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  6. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    The2ndQuest likes this.
  7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Really liking how they're using the amiibos here. I can't believe I'm nostalgic for TP already- and I still haven't finished SS yet.

I think I can partially blame making that book for that sensation- TP did the best job of evoking the feel of the original game of any sequels/prequels in the series.

8. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
  9. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
  10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    That's pretty cool. It's not too far off from the book I did (we both even used the Z2 Game Over screen Ganon as the primary depiction).

I like how it elaborated on how Ganon obtained the Triforce of Power- though the slight changes to Impa's story (Zelda no longer tricks Ganon to allow Impa to escape) kinda diminishes the immediate threat to her (since Ganon never knows about her).

Someone did an interesting ALTTP intro-based UE4 demo: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...k_to_the_past_come_to_life_in_unreal_engine_4

It's obviously fan made but it does a great job of making that storm scary as hell- and Hyrule Castle in the dark being backlit by lightning strikes is a pretty powerful image. Doesn't look very playable though ;).

11. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
  12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Marin from LA will be a DLC character in HYWA!

That's pretty cool- game hadn't gotten a lot of love lately in terms of referencing it's characters or events.

13. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    Old video, but a nice analysis by George Weidman (Super Bunnyhop) of the Zelda series. The second part becomes an indictment on Nintendo, though, that I can't help but sympathise with. However, I also must acknowledge that with ever diminishing 3rd party support, Nintendo has no choice but increase its own output to compensate for the lack of new releases.

Interestingly, I agree with him on The Wind Waker being the last good console Zelda game, though the reasons why I feel that way might be completely different from his reasons. In my case, however, I'm willing to ponder the possibility that my tastes might simply have changed over time, in which case the "fault" lies with myself and unrealistic expectations.

This leads to another interesting question: How many critics or fans who disapprove or criticise new entries in a beloved series have bothered to ask themselves whether their dissatisfaction truly stems from their own changed tastes or unrealistic expectations of wanting to relive magical childhood moments and moods? If we're honest, a keen critical mind could probably pick apart and find numerous faults in even the most celebrated works of art and entertainment of all time, and their criticisms would even be valid. But in a work that is cherished, those faults would be overlooked, while in a work that is disliked, those faults are magnified. Unable to admit, perhaps even to themselves, that their disapproval lies in taste and preference rather than in craft, they cling to technical criticisms to rationalise a distaste that they themselves perhaps do not fully understand. To use a crude example, an annoying person who you find ugly is extra annoying because he is ugly to boot, whereas we are willing to tolerate an attractive annoying person. Those same annoying qualities might even become endearing. A quality that would otherwise be criticised becomes tolerated and goes without mention, or perhaps even counted as a merit due to our bias.

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I don't think it's changing tastes or unrealistic expectations. I've been critical of TP's early stages for being too much of an OOT remake (and following the ALTTP progression model yet again after TWW had already done so) but loved the creativity of the later levels and scale of the boss fights and found it eventually did manage to evoke the feeling of playing the original game (something no other Zelda game has yet achieved, IMO).

So, they're not exclusive concepts. The question then shifts towards experiencing a single title in a void (in which case most of my major critiques of TP are invalid), as an entry within a series (where they're valid) or as part of the overall medium (where you can get a mixture but accentuate the prominence of those critiques even further).

15. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    I remember when I was playing it for the first time the initial "chapters" with wolf Link where you can not yet transform back felt very tedious and boring, not least because of the deliberately gloomy colour palette. It quickly turned me off from the game, so much so that I left my save file to my brother to finish that part of the game. After that, the layout of Hyrule Field felt claustrophobic. The field in OoT felt much more open and vivid despite being smaller. One of the thrills of open world adventure games of the Zelda variety is being able to step into an open plain and look into the distance. After the wide open space of the ocean in The Wind Waker, the partitioning of Hyrule Field into four quarters was disappointing, and made the game world feel less cohesive.

This was also a time in my life when I generally found less time to game, so a couple of off-putting elements were enough to make me lukewarm towards it. After this, I sporadically played a save file I shared with my brother, which made me experience the game in sporadic vignettes, some of which I liked. But the disjointed nature of my experience with it naturally meant that I didn't have the attachment to it that I otherwise would have had. I will say, though, that I got a strong sensation of Nintendo pandering to popular fan sentiment with this game, and Nintendo generally doesn't do that. Because of this, I couldn't help but get a manufactured feel from the proceedings.

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I never noticed the Hyrule Field thing you mentioned- I guess I'd rather have more nooks and crannies with secrets to explore than just a big empty field or ocean. I actually thought the game did an extraordinary job of capturing that "far from home" sense of distance, danger and isolation in a large world that the original game often achieved.

Todd the Jedi likes this.
  17. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I wouldn't know, I am only familiar with the first two games and ALttP. I haven't beat any of them, though I am very close on ALttP.

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, the bad news is Zelda U has been pushed back to 2017- the good/bad news is it'll be Zelda U/Zelda NX now, and the good news (kinda) is that it will be the only playable game Nintendo will be showing at E3 this year, so we're going to have tons of gameplay footage to look forward to it seems...

19. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    :_| Are they nuts?

There is still a Wii U version? EDIT: Ah, there is.

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, dual-platform release aka Twilight Princess. Something people suspected for awhile after the last delay.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  21. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    Yeah, mixed feelings about this. It does make sense in order to have a major title ready for the new system… it does make me wonder if it will take advantage of the new hardware and which one will be the definitive version. We'll see more at E3 for the Wii U version.

We will also be getting additional content for Hyrule Warriors & HW Legends… did see the art for Malin from Link's Awakening and I am pleased that title is getting some recognition. Maybe we'll get Skyward Sword off the eShop later this year as well.

22. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    Kinda disappointed as the whole reasons I bought a Wii U last year was for the new Zelda, its Twilight Princess all over again...except this time I don't think it will be just a port like the Wii version. Nintendo, you're making it so hard for me to keep loving you.

23. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Not surprising news, not after how long its been, and with the precedent of Twilight Princess (especially with TP just having had its HD port). Now the question is if Skyward Sword will get an HD port on Wii U or NX. [face_whistling]

So Zelda will probably be one relatively "must-have" reason to get an NX. Here's hoping we get lots of gameplay, and an official name at E3. I don't think there's been a name yet, right? They're not simply going to call it The Legend of Zelda: Wii U or something like that, right?

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, we have to get a name at E3.

25. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    Then we can speculate whereabouts on the timeline it will fit in.

Todd the Jedi likes this.