main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Zelda Fans Come Hither...

Discussion in 'Community' started by alpha_red, May 11, 2004.

1. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
  2. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I got Hyrule Warriors for the Switch not long ago. It's a lot of fun; i just beat the Legends mode, so now I'm moving on to Adventure mode.

It's got a lot of great attention to detail- every game that has a stage has tons of elements either appear or referenced.

3. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Hyrule Historia refers to the era of the NES games as "the era of decline". I wonder if Hyrule declined because Hylia (incarnated as Sleeping Zelda) was asleep.

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I think that was specifically referencing both the Z2 backstory and the descriptions of ALTTP's era as being just past a golden age (ie: declining due to unnatural weather and other evil influences like Agahnim, etc).

5. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    The ALTTP era is called "The Era of Light and Dark". Following ALTTP and ALBW is "The Golden Era" in which the Kings of Hyrule used the Triforce. "The Era of Decline" begins with the Sleeping Zelda incident and ends with her waking up.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
  6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm referring to pre-Hyrule Historia descriptions. I believe it was the ALTTP Player's Guide that first described the ALTTP era as a golden age to explain why Hyrule seemed in decline during LOZ/AOL (no castle, no village, people living in caves, etc).

Hyrule Historia likely nodded towards them when labeling the content for that era/timeline branch, even if their specific application was adjusted.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
  7. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I wonder if it would made more sense for FSA to occur parallel to OOT on a timeline that splits pre-OOT so that there's only one Ganondorf.

8. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
  9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It's placement seems to be "at the end of the timeline" but with no established connections (lines between boxes) to which timeline branch it is a part of, yet. Looks like they're keeping it vague for now so that they have room to adjust it later on (much like how the timeline was slightly changed between Hyrule Historia and the recent Encyclopedia).

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
  10. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    Oh sure. If there's one thing we've learned over the years it's that the timeline is very fluid.

11. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Considering how much of a "grand finale" feel there was to the final boss fight, the placement doesn't surprise me. Especially with how much lore BotW had built in (with how they tried to prepare for Ganon). Funny how they went from Skyward Sword at the beginning of the timeline to Breath of the Wild at the end. Well, not that there isn't still plenty of room for more stories, but I'm sure we're all eager to see how they'll try and top BotW.

12. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    The Spirit Temple has such "calm" music, yet it's where Ganondorf grew up.

13. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Ever wonder why the Sheikah and Gerudo both use the Lens of Truth?

14. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
  15. vnu

vnu Jedi Master star 3

Sep 8, 2012
    Just finished Skyward Sword

The pros:
    + Groose

+ The combat and controls (anyone who hates the game b/c of this is just bad at it. I thought it was fun, intuitive, and felt involved in the game)

+ The graphics (the game does NOT have bad graphics, just a different style then what most people want. I thought it was beautiful to look at, and it shined in some parts. Don't get me wrong tho, I would've loved the style from the tech demo

+ The environments. We've seen volcanos, deserts, and forests in the Zelda series before. But SS still managed to make them fun exploring

+ lot of new gameplay mechanics that go beyond the controls, like the Run meter

The negatives:
    - Small dungeons. The volcano dungeon was literally 3 rooms.

- The linearity. While I don't mind this in the over-world necessarily, it's annoying in the dungeons

- Most of the bosses were forgettable

There's areas where I like it better then Twilight Princess, and areas where I think Twilight Princess is better. Combine the pros of both games and you'd have a definitive 3D Zelda game.

My favorites in the series are Twilight Princess, SS, and Zelda II (criminally underrated). (Have not played BotW but I hear it's really good)

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
  16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Since it will probably be a bit before I can play BOTW (I might be able to squeeze in a Switch before the end of the year, but I gotta buy Smash first, so Zelda would have to wait a couple months), I may try to spend some of my holiday time (that isn't used playing Smash) to going back and picking up my Skyward Sword save file. Has about 6 years of dust on it, but, hey, I've yet to beat a 3D Zelda game without a few years pause in the middle, so why start now? ;)

17. vnu

vnu Jedi Master star 3

Sep 8, 2012
    1.) Buy Zelda before SSB.
    2.) Why has SS remained unbeat?

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    1) Normally I would, but finite funds and I simply won't have the time to invest in such a huge open world game until after the holidays. SS is more linear and, in conjunction with already being half started, can be completed in the time I'll have available.

Smash I'll need for the smaller sessions inbetween and for holiday gatherings. Zelda is still single player (thankfully).

2) Other games (and the Wii U) came out and I had limited time to devote to everything. I buy games much faster than I can play them. Plus I was in school for that stretch on top of two jobs so I didn't have much play time in general.

But, in particular, I tend to start a 3D Zelda game, take a few years break, then come back to finish it just before the next one comes out. Happened with OOT before TWW (MM is a different situation) and TWW before TP. TP I actually had to start over due to a Wii failure but I finished that right before SS came out, so by time i got partway into SS I was kinda burned out and needed to play a different type of game for awhile. Then the Wii U hit and I had a whole slew of new games to keep me busy.

If i didn't take such breaks, I would be on a constant cycle of Mario, Zelda & Metroid games even more so than usual and I try to fit other types of games in there when I can.

19. vnu

vnu Jedi Master star 3

Sep 8, 2012
    Yes, that's why I just to SS in July and just finished it, this many years since launch, because time. But I'm happy to hear the reason it remained un-finished was because of time, and not 'oh the controls are badddddd.' (I LOVED the controls)

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Oh, I'll never abandon a Zelda game entirely. I finish them all eventually- it just might take me 5-10 years to do so ;).

MM, being the one big exception of, now, 18 years, is probably the only one I'll have to start over from scratch on purpose. Still have my original save file but the nature of that game really leverages being familiar with the character & event patterns, so it's probably best that I start over on that one whenever I get around to it.

I didn't mind the controls for SS at all, really. I do need to replace the rechargable batteries in my wiimotes, though. Hopefully I can get ones still compatible with my Rabbid charger, as I'd hate to lose that.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
  21. vnu

vnu Jedi Master star 3

Sep 8, 2012
    I don't really have an interest in MM. I'm turned off from the 'it's all about the side quests' and 'just 4 dungeons'.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
  22. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    Well there's plenty of meat in MM besides the 4 dungeons. Each area also has at least one mini dungeon that you have to get through in order to progress. And the side quests are great; they flesh out the rest of the game's lore and really creates a connection between you and the townsfolk, which makes the race to stop the moon from falling all the more personal.

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Today in Japan, and Friday in the US, we celebrate the 20th anniversary of...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
  24. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
    i'm just wandering around in breath of the wild right now. no idea what i'm doing. zelda fans come hither.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2018
  25. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012