VIDEO Zelda Fans Come Hither...

Discussion in 'Games' started by alpha_red, May 11, 2004.

1. obi_wan_kanathan Jedi Master

star 4
    Well, Medley's supposed to be of the same bloodline as the dead Zora sage. Unless some weird inter-species breeding was going on, I think that means the Zoras are the Rito. :p
  2. Sarendipity Jedi Knight

star 2
    Attack of the acronyms! >_<

I always figured the timeline was meant to be all over the place so you couldn't figure out what should be when. Maybe they just did it that way so they could laugh while we argue over it.
  3. Forcebewitya Jedi Master

star 4
    Well, after a long day at school, and blowing my nose on the minute due to my cold, then getting home only to be dumped by my girlfriend I wandered over to Gamestop to check the E3 news. And lo and behold my bad day turned into one of the best days of the year! I've always loved the spaceworld demo and have never been a fan of the cel shaded link (although Wind Waker was still superb). I seriously was shocked and elated for the rest of the night. I then went to Culvers to meet one of my friends who when I told him the news started to clap randomly in Culvers, I of course joined in. I'm just surpised we didnt break into tears of joy on the spot. Its probably for the better that we didn't seeing that the people at Culvers were already wondering what the heck was wrong with us.

Needless to say I am super psyched. And juging by the text on the trailer it sounds like this could be the tie in from OoT to WW. This is my speculation, the quote "Will the Hero rise?" (or something to that effect) made me think. Why would they even ask that? I mean link always wins in the end, but then I thought, what if he doesn't what if this game doesn't have the cliched happy ending and what if it is more dark. It's all very exciting to say the least but this is just my theory.

Forcebewitya!
  4. Darth_Omega Force Ghost

star 6
    IGN were allowed to see a new trailer that lasted 2 minutes. Lucky bastards :(

I could have sworn that SM mentioned after OOT that the timeline was split into two different branches.

Yeah he did say that or atleast another official Nintendo person.

Only reason I wouldn't place TWW before OOT (beyond it setting up LOZ nicely) is because you'd have to explain Ganon getting out of his prison, and I think doing so detracts from the story of ALTTP.

I think you misread something here no ever said putting tWW before OoT. ;)

As said before tWW is an alternative timeline. tWW only refers towards the future time line. e.g. the sages (Ruto as an adult), the adult statue of Link, young Link is too young to be called the 'Hero of Time'
    And in the past timeline Ganondorf never spread his darkness over entire Hyrule.

While the area of LOZ is only a small part of greater Hyrule in AOL, that area is actually the same area ALTTP and OOT's maps use (compare them- ALTTP is similar to LOZ, and if you rotate OOT's counterclockwise slightly, it matches up as well).

It kinda match up, too bad they kept rotating the position of the lost woods, Kakariko village and the cementary. :p

The only reference point we have is Death Mountain, assuming of course its the same mountain/volcano in the games.
  5. LordSilvertouch Jedi Master

star 4
    Who cares?

This game looks magical. No, it looks unbe-frickin-lievable. But does the timeline really matter? They're all different unless they refer to each other. Don't destroy Zelda by picking this apart. The way i see it, 3-D Zelda has nothing to do with the rest. So the time line for the new one is as follows:

- OOT Happens. All that time travel stuff.

- Link goes off looking for navi, MM happens. He never returns to Hyrule.

- Ganon breaks his seal and returns, as stated in WW.

- The Gods forsake Hyrule, great flood, a period of time passes.

- WW happens. This Link is only the second one in 3-D Zelda terms.

- NEW ZELDA GAME, featuring realistic Link II grown up.

Only thing that doesn't explain is why Hyrule isn't flooded. Something being done about that was alluded to at the end of WW, so maybe that explains it, but perhaps there just isn't any inter-island travelling.

Anyway, the point, the time line doesn't really matter. Link is link, unless he's one of the other Links. They're all alternate versions of themselves. That's why four swords is so clever, it features both 3-D Links and both 2-D Links.

6. Darth_Omega Force Ghost

star 6

- NEW ZELDA GAME, featuring realistic Link II grown up.

From GameSpot:
    "Additionally, this game is the same one that Aonuma referred to as "The Wind Waker 2" back at the Game Developers Conference in March. The game won't be called The Wind Waker 2 when it's completed, and it won't be a sequel to the last GameCube Zelda game." :p

My outtake is its a sequel to MM/OoT present timeline. Especially as this The Legend of Zelda logo is the same as OoT (it has the same Hylian Shield).

Or it could be a Zelda with a new Link.
  7. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    >>I think you misread something here no ever said putting tWW before OoT.<<

Whoops- meant putting TWW before ALTTP. ::)

>>As said before tWW is an alternative timeline.<<

I prefer to approach things as if they were all in the same timeline, as the multiple-timeline fan theory just seems like a cop-out, IMO. Plus TWW, as shown in my previous breakdown, makes a nice transition to the original games. So if it fits, why try to force it out of relation to the others?

>>It kinda match up, too bad they kept rotating the position of the lost woods, Kakariko village and the cementary.<<

Some things do aparently change or move over time, such as the villages- however, there could be more than one Lost Woods: one near the Kokiri (whose lands you never go to in ALTTP and LOZ) and the other near the Castle in OOT (the area in which you never approach in OOT), it also makes sense that way- the north western Lost Woods would be the Hylian named area (possibly named after the destruction of the OOT castle, after the new "central" castle was formed by the time of ALTTP, TWW, etc) while the eastern Lost Woods would be the Kokiri named area (afterall- doesn't seem like the Kokiri leave their lands much, so they wouldn't know about the other lost woods, and outsiders don;t seem to visit the kokiri lands so Hylians wouldn't much know about the Kokiri Lost woods).

>>The only reference point we have is Death Mountain, assuming of course its the same mountain/volcano in the games.<<

The features seem to indicate it is the same mountain- unless there are multiple Spectacle Rock formations, and then there's the river down the middle for the Zoras, etc.

>>The way i see it, 3-D Zelda has nothing to do with the rest.<<

They have to be related- OOT is based upon the ALTTP backstory, for example.
  8. Vader_vs_Maul Force Ghost

star 3
    What if the devs haven't thought of the storys being related at all? What if they just make up a new one for each game? (Except OoT, MM and TWW which are obviously linked together)
  9. Syrix_Kahl Jedi Master

star 4
    7-7-7 - Most of my timeline comes from playing the games, but I did base a bit of it on a document I read about 3 years ago. The document also stated that there are about 3 different versions of the timeline kciking around: Shigsy's version, Nintendo Power's version, and one other. The three were more or less identical, with only a few differences here and there.

Also, I stand corrected, Link's Awakening does indeed follow on from LttP, and not the originals. Which means my whole history is now out. I'm going to have to dig out my old research notes and see if I can find my sources again. I had an in-depth report on the history of Hyrule, which including a study on the history of the Zora/Zola - and that's very interesting, if a little geek-tastic...
  10. Valyn Force Ghost

star 8
    Wow. Like over two pages were spent debating the timeline of a video game. You guys really are pretty nerdy.

:p
  11. portman_is_so_fine Force Ghost

star 4
    Eh, the graphics look ok.

I will say though, I was thinking about selling my cube until I saw this.
  12. alpha_red Jedi Youngling

star 5
    Wow. Like over two pages were spent debating the timeline of a video game. You guys really are pretty nerdy.

Nerdy, maybe. But I own weapons and peak at 300+ lbs. I can be as nerdy as I damn well please.

Eh, the graphics look ok.

OK? Merely OK? Are you BLIND?

Dear Lord, the man's lost his eyes! Quickly! We must help him!

Dr. Alpha prescribes twenty more viewings of the trailer.
  13. Soontir-Fel Force Ghost

star 5
    /evil voice.
    Yess. Look at it. Look at it! It is your master!
    And are we talking bladed weapons or guns that you own, Alpha?
  14. alpha_red Jedi Youngling

star 5
    The bladed weapons are mine, the guns are my dad's. I'm a minor and technically not allowed to own even swords, but oh well.
  15. Forcebewitya Jedi Master

star 4
    Who cares?

well apparently the die hard Zelda fans that want to know how it all ties together. I for one am intruiged by the timeline. I pretty much go with the ones that have been debated so I don't feel obligated to give my version. Besides that my friends and I have already debated the timeline a lot.

Forcebewitya!
  16. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    >>What if the devs haven't thought of the story being related at all?<<

But they have, at least to some extent- Zelda 2 was meant to be a sequel to Zelda 1. ALTTP was positioned as a prequel to Zelda 1 featuring ancestors of Link and Zelda. LA was positioned as a sequel to ALTTP. OOT was based upon the backstory made for ALTTP. MM was a sequel to OOT. TWW references the events of OOT heavily and is also thus a sequel. They all tie together on even a basic level.

>>Like over two pages were spent debating the timeline of a video game.s being related at all?<<

There are whole website forums dedicated to the topic, my friend, this is just a small taste of such detailed conversations and analysis. ::)
  17. alpha_red Jedi Youngling

star 5
    There are whole website forums dedicated to the topic, my friend, this is just a small taste of such detailed conversations and analysis. ::)

I am a member of one of the more prominent Zelda fora -- or it used to be that, anyway. We're hoping to build it back up come summer, but either way, I do this on a near-daily basis.
  18. Bodknocks_ Jedi Knight

star 3
    He speaks of The Temple of Light. Once a very great forum, it now withers like tree in shaded ground. Come ye who enjoy Zelda.
  19. alpha_red Jedi Youngling

star 5
    Bodknocks! Great to see you here, man!

There's an OOT RP going on in the RP section. It's quite different here in terms of RP, though.

But as amazing as this Zelda news is, there's two other games that have yet to be discussed in this thread. The Minish Cap has been confirmed, and Four Swords Adventures comes out next month.

Thoughts?
  20. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Another good site is The Legends of Zelda (zeldalegends.net).

I recall another good site was HTLOZ, but that lost it's hosting awhile back or something. Not sure if it's back up again.

Anyways- MC sounds fun- the size changing aspect should make for some fun level possibilities.

Four Swords should be a blast too, using SNES-style graphics on a modern game's capacity was an awesome move which should make for a huge game. I just wish there was a new single player quest in that graphics style that wasn't on GBA.
  21. alpha_red Jedi Youngling

star 5
    I visit Zelda Legends sometimes. Good site, definitely. Love the design.

I reserved Four Swords Adventures for $5 today and got a free Zelda shirt. Then I get home and find out it's one size too small.

*shrug*

Four Swords Adventures is for GCN, T2Q. You can play it with one player, and it uses the GBA Four Swords graphics style.
  22. Darth_Kevin Force Ghost

star 5
    What are some links of some good Zelda timeline analysis sites?

From some of the E3 coverage, it seemed implied that the new game will be a sequel to TWW. It was mentioned that Link was a kid in TWW and in order to make him more adult, they tried several designs, but the realistic look was determined best. It seemed to me that it was implied that the Link of the new game would be the grown up Link from TWW.
  23. Vader_vs_Maul Force Ghost

star 3
    Nah, i don't think so. What happened to all the water? The world was flooded in TWW, you know. ;)
  24. Darth_Omega Force Ghost

star 6
    Second time I'm going to say this:

From GameSpot:
    "Additionally, this game is the same one that Aonuma referred to as "The Wind Waker 2" back at the Game Developers Conference in March. The game won't be called The Wind Waker 2 when it's completed, and it won't be a sequel to the last GameCube Zelda game."

:p

I prefer to approach things as if they were all in the same timeline, as the multiple-timeline fan theory just seems like a cop-out, IMO. Plus TWW, as shown in my previous breakdown, makes a nice transition to the original games. So if it fits, why try to force it out of relation to the others?

If it's a cop out why does tWW seem to be referring to OoT future time line only? e.g. the sages pictures on the window when you grab the mastersword in tWW, picture of Volvagia in the first dungeon at Dragon Roost Island etc. the Deku Tree Shrub being full grown, yet he does not exist in the past time line.

Although I have to admit the alternative universe thing has its flaws.

Furthermore TWW does not make a nice transition into the original games. Let me quote the original game manual of LoZ:
    "A long, long time ago the World was in an age of Chaos. In the middle of this chaos, in a little kingdom in the land of Hyrule, a legend was being banded down from generation to generation, the legend of the "Triforce"; golden triangles possessing mystical powers.

One day, an evil army attacked this peaceful little kingdom and stole the Triforce of Power. This army was led by Ganon, the powerful Prince of Darkness who sought to plunge the World into fear and darkness under his rule. Fearing his wicked rule, Zelda, the princess of this kingdom, split up the Triforce of Wisdom into eight fragments and hid them throughout the realm to save the last remaining Triforce from the clutches of the evil Ganon."

Ganon stole the Triforce of Power, I think this indicates that the triforce of Power and Wisdom were in Hyrule before LoZ. The triforce of Courage was hidden as read in the AoL manual.

The point being I cannot see this happening after tWW because the Triforce is seperated. I however can see this happening after aLttP as the Triforce is united.

Futhermore it was Ganondorf along with Triforce of Power who was sealed in OoT, it was Ganondorf, along with the Triforce of Power who was released and killed in tWW.
    Yet it was Ganon who was in the Sacred Real and killed in aLttP.

Let also consider the following things:
    - There are no references to aLttP in TWW.
    - In OoT everyone spoke Hylian, the signs were in Hylian, Link was a Hylian etc.
    In TWW only those from the old Hyrule spoke Hylian (Deku Tree, the king, Jabun and the dragon).
    In aLttP no one spoke Hylian, the only reason why Link could understand Hylian was thanks to the book of Madura (something like that).
    - The sages in OoT were from the different races in Hyrule. Yet the descendants in aLttP were all human looking unlike in TWW.

Where am I heading with this? Simple, aLttP cannot happen before TWW.
    TWW should either be before aLttP or in the alternative timeline.

The features seem to indicate it is the same mountain- unless there are multiple Spectacle Rock formations, and then there's the river down the middle for the Zoras, etc.

Actually I was more talking about the two death mountain traits, one is a volcano seen in OoT/tWW the other one the highest mountain in a mountain range seen in LoZ/aLttP.
  25. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    >>What are some links of some good Zelda timeline analysis sites?<<

www.zeldalegends.com

>>Four Swords Adventures is for GCN, T2Q. You can play it with one player, and it uses the GBA Four Swords graphics style.<<

I knew it was for GC N, though I wasn't aware there was a 1 player mode. And it's really the SNES ALTTP style graphics for the most part, though the character design is coser to GBA Four Swords.

>>If it's a cop out why does tWW seem to be referring to OoT future time line only?<<

You'll have to elaborate on that- OOT's timetravel thing is tricky.

>>The point being I cannot see this happening after tWW because the Triforce is seperated. I however can see this happening after aLttP as the Triforce is united.<<

I see it the opposite way- if the Triforce is seperated already, it would be easier for it's three components to be spread out (hidden or eventually fall into the possession of the castle).

>>Futhermore it was Ganondorf along with Triforce of Power who was sealed in OoT, it was Ganondorf, along with the Triforce of Power who was released and killed in tWW.<<

Hmm, interesting. I have yet to finish TWW, so I'll have to look into that. But it could still work with TWW after ALTTP (the triforce being seperated post-ALTTP, resulting in one piece faling back into Ganon's hands...er..hand [face_batting] and the other two being spread out)

>>There are no references to aLttP in TWW. <<

Actually, you'll note the castle in TWW is located where the castle in ALTTP is set, not the OOT one.

>>In OoT everyone spoke Hylian, the signs were in Hylian, Link was a Hylian etc. In TWW only those from the old Hyrule spoke Hylian. In aLttP no one spoke Hylian<<

That detail would support a OOT-TWW-ALTTP progression, granted. Though you could argue that Link in ALTTP never meets any of those "old hyruleans".

>>The sages in OoT were from the different races in Hyrule. Yet the descendants in aLttP were all human looking unlike in TWW. <<

Chalk it up to ALTTP being made first before OOT was designed, and it being presented in a sort of old scroll or book of mudora illustration. Reall, though, that while they were originally called "Wise Men" in the SNES version, when they ported it to GBA, they changed the description to "Sages", an obvious attempt to make the OOT-ALTTP connection more clear

>>Where am I heading with this? Simple, aLttP cannot happen before TWW. <<

A valid stance, it can probably be worked into either position.

>>Actually I was more talking about the two death mountain traits, one is a volcano seen in OoT/tWW the other one the highest mountain in a mountain range seen in LoZ/aLttP.<<

Good observation...could be another example of just not seeing all of Hyrule on the ALTTP/LOZ maps, or the volcano went dormant or had its mouth collappsed or something- maybe even the Gorons did something.