main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Zelda Fans Come Hither...

Discussion in 'Community' started by alpha_red, May 11, 2004.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >>Ganon was sealed away in piggy form at the end of OoT, right?<<

For the most part (he briefly reappears in Gerudo form briefly as he curses the ancestors of the sages).

>>With tWW occuring 1000, maybe even 2000 years after AoL<<

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the game establish it was something like 100 or 200 years after OOT?

>>their are multiple Ganons and Ganondorfs <<

I suppose it's possible there could be two Ganons, but no more. The OOT/ALTTP Ganon is definitely the same entity, as is TWW's Ganon most likely. LOZ/AOL Ganon is also the same being. The OOA/OOS Ganon has to be one of the existing Ganon's, most likely the OOT/ALTTP Ganon.

2. Syrix_Kahl

Syrix_Kahl Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 25, 2001
    "Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the game establish it was something like 100 or 200 years after OOT?"

Well, the point I was making was that, since tWW doesn't actually ever refer to OoT explicitly (like, say, by name) we can only assume things at best.

3. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    Well lots of responses, more then I expected. I'll try to respond to most of them. If I can.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the game establish it was something like 100 or 200 years after OOT?

No it's a common mistake because IGN poorly translated a conversation. Its hundred of years or many generations as said multiple times in the game itself.

So there's a huge time gap between OoT and tWW.

since tWW doesn't actually ever refer to OoT explicitly (like, say, by name)

I don't think they can refer to the events in OoT by name. They can't say during: " "Legend of Zelda:eek:carina of Time" The Hero of Time defeated Ganon and sealed him with the help sages" and so on.

Furthermore as I pointed out it was centuries since OoT so the story was probably retold so many times that errors occured (e.g. Sages being left out, Hero of Time being a boy not a young man etc.)

I also have to say they never refer to aLttP in text nor any other Zelda except for OoT. Because well...it didn't happen ;)

Now we know that the seven sages, for all intents and puposes, don't exist in tWW - there are only two. Another reason to suggest that tWW takes place many, many years after everything else.

You're forgetting the stain glass windows when you grab the mastersword. So the 6 sages are forgotten in the legend not by the "world". If LttP takes place before TWW it should have been 7 beautiful maidens.

I think there are centuries between all the Zelda "pairs" (except for the new realistic one)

Oh well I took a look at the Alternative Timeline theory and realised that aLttP could be in the same timeline as TWW as the imprisoment war could be refering to OoT future timeline.

4. P_J

P_J Jedi Youngling

May 18, 2004
    I always said that I loved the Cel Shading. But this makes me ache. I want. Sure, we can say, cel shading is nice, I like it. If they made a Realistic, that'd be cool, but I don't need it.

Screw that. This realism kicks ass. I could never go back.

And I think it would be cool if they turned Zelda into a Lord of the Rings epic, gearing up for all out war kind of thing. It's the kind of thing that Zelda was made for. The unfolding of a great battle. All told through the eyes of link, as he ventures to try and stop it.

That might be the problem with games. They should be more like movies. Make it fun and adventurous to the battle. And really make, a large scaled battle the climax of ultimate porportions. Instead of every level being a battle, make a story that leads up to it in Lord of the RIngs fashion. THere hasn't been a game to quite do that yet. Not with a story, and an adventurous non-linear RPGish game.

Damn, i should be making games.

In fact, most gamers could be. You think about these things when you're dreaming up games. Not when you're forced to work or something.

5. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    The thing I really loved in TWW was the sword tactics. Instead of just hacking and slashing you could pull of some kickass manuvers. I hope they keep that in the new game and expand on it.

On a other note, I was bored so I drew a triforce on my hand. I know it stands for wisdom, courage. and power, but what postion means what?

6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Pop in SSBM and watch the intro- there's a closeup of Ganon, Link and Zelda's hand with their respctive triforce imprinted on them.

>>If LttP takes place before TWW it should have been 7 beautiful maidens<<

Why? The maidens were just descendants of the sages, not the sages themselves.

7. alpha_red

alpha_red Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 24, 2003
    And I think it would be cool if they turned Zelda into a Lord of the Rings epic

The potential certainly exists, and was developed upon wonderfully in LttP and later OOT, but when you've got something that good going on, why stop there? Make realistic games, expansion novels, more comics, more action figures, and maybe even a movie. Zelda has the potential to crush every other sci-fi and fantasy franchise into the dust.

Consider, for a moment, that Lord of the Rings was long considered unfilmable, not merely because of the technological limits, but as a story. Then BAM! Peter Jackson comes out and wows everyone with the best thing to hit movie theaters since the classic Star Wars Trilogy.

All things are possible if you're good enough.

8. DarthMaul431

DarthMaul431 Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 19, 2003
    I agree with Soontir-Fel about the improved fighting techniques. I really liked the special attack where the A Button changes shape while L-targeting so that you can do a roll attack or jump attack.

9. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    [image=http://ctrlaltdel-online.com/images/comics/20040517.jpg]

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I agree with Alpha- LOZ would make a killer film, and it is one of my dream goals to make such a film one day (particularly ALTTP). Lots of potential, both from a story perspective, but also musicly (Darkworld Overworld theme, oh how I love thee) and in terms of unique elements such as using "zap" to introduce a shootout aspect to action scenes- which is something typically not found in a sword-and-shield battle typically.

11. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
  12. P_J

P_J Jedi Youngling

May 18, 2004
    "The potential certainly exists, and was developed upon wonderfully in LttP and later OOT, but when you've got something that good going on, why stop there? Make realistic games, expansion novels, more comics, more action figures, and maybe even a movie. Zelda has the potential to crush every other sci-fi and fantasy franchise into the dust.

Consider, for a moment, that Lord of the Rings was long considered unfilmable, not merely because of the technological limits, but as a story. Then BAM! Peter Jackson comes out and wows everyone with the best thing to hit movie theaters since the classic Star Wars Trilogy.

All things are possible if you're good enough."

Come on, we're goint to Hollywod to pitch. LOL

13. alpha_red

Aug 24, 2003
  14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    >>zap?<<

Though not present in the 3D games, in most all the others your sword could shoot bolts of energy when your health was full, aka "zap".

15. alpha_red

Aug 24, 2003
    Anyone want to tell me why that wasn't in OOT? They did it in MM. What gives?

16. Darth_Omega

May 19, 2002
    I think they were testing that in OoT seen in one of the early OoT pictures. I guess it never really worked out. (too much FPS lag maybe?)

I prefer to see an anime serie then a movie, as the chance of removing stuff in anime serie is alot lower than in a two and half hour movie.

Why? The maidens were just descendants of the sages, not the sages themselves.

I don't think stain glasses of the same face can last two millenias ;) And still look that good.
    Besides why would they change the location of the Mastersword from the Lost Woods where only a Hero with the three pendants can get it to a basement in Hyrule Castle where only a simple puzzle has to be solved inorder to get it?

Also didn't at the end of aLttP say "And the Mastersword sleeps on forever!" well the sword hasn't been used again in LoZ, AoL, LA was a dream, OoA/OoS wasn't the real Mastersword.

So basicly if we go by this order

OoT|TWW|aLttP, LA|OoS, OoA|*|LoZ, AoL|

*The 'Legend of Zelda' can occur in this moment with the Triforce of Courage part being put in the final temple and sealed away with the 6 crystals.
    Because of Triforce being incomplete the age of chaos start after that.
    Now after some few hundred years into the "Age of Chaos" Hyrule mostly withered. Ganon is somehow revived (AGAIN :p ;) ) (probably because of Triforce being incomplete) storms the castle steals the Triforce of Power. Zelda split up the Triforce of Wisdom and here we go to the first Legend of Zelda game.

The only problem I have with this is the "Legend of Zelda" that should officially occur before all the other Zelda as that explains why every princess is called Zelda. But oh well minor plot hole issue as the Triforce of Courage can then not be used in all other Zelda's.

And of course the "Mastersword sleeps on forever" if we follow this timeline.

BTW what happens if one uses entire Triforce to make a wish does it split up again? Or does it simply return to the sacred realm?

17. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    I don't remembering zapping things with my sword in MM...

18. Vader_vs_Maul

Vader_vs_Maul Jedi Master star 3

Dec 4, 2003
    You can only do it when you turn into Oni-Link (I think that's what it's called). You do so by putting on the fierce deity's mask, which is the last mask you receive. You can only use it when fighting bosses.

19. Fettster

Fettster Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 7, 2003
    "The only problem I have with this is the "Legend of Zelda" that should officially occur before all the other Zelda as that explains why every princess is called Zelda. But oh well minor plot hole issue as the Triforce of Courage can then not be used in all other Zelda's. "

Actually, wasn't it AoL's backstory? The sleeping princess was the original Zelda, not the one you rescued, and she'd been put to sleep centuries before. Or something like that.

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    >>Besides why would they change the location of the Mastersword from the Lost Woods where only a Hero with the three pendants can get it to a basement in Hyrule Castle where only a simple puzzle has to be solved inorder to get it? <<

Perhaps the hero and pendants were not needed to release the sword after Link freed it during his quest? I don't think anyone had the ability to recast a spell on the sword (unless Link used the Triforce to do so).

Moving it may have been necessary due to the oncoming flood.

>>Also didn't at the end of aLttP say "And the Mastersword sleeps on forever!"<<

One could argue that that what was hoped at the time that occured. That also culd explain why the Master Sword had to be "reawakened"/repowered in TWW.

>>BTW what happens if one uses entire Triforce to make a wish does it split up again? Or does it simply return to the sacred realm?<<

I think it only splits up if the wish is made with an evil heart, so if your heart wasn't evil, it would remain whole in it's artifact form (or "imprint" itself onto your hand).

21. Darth_Omega

May 19, 2002
    "Actually, wasn't it AoL's backstory? The sleeping princess was the original Zelda, not the one you rescued, and she'd been put to sleep centuries before. Or something like that."

Yeah but it says "In his grief, the prince placed the princess in this room. He hoped that someday she would come back to life. So that this tragedy would never be forgotten, he ordered every female child born into the royal household should be given the name Zelda"

So the "Legend of Zelda" should occur first, but that wouldn't make much sense anyway.
    BTW I'm not talking about the game but the "legend" where she's put a sleep by some curse sorry about that ;)

One could argue that that what was hoped at the time that occured. That also culd explain why the Master Sword had to be "reawakened"/repowered in TWW.

Actually it had to be repowered because the sages who have been praying for the Mastersword have been killed by Ganondorf. :)

I think it only splits up if the wish is made with an evil heart, so if your heart wasn't evil, it would remain whole in it's artifact form (or "imprint" itself onto your hand).

Hmmm...ok its funny how aLttP manual is contradicting OoT (or should it be the other way around? :p )

"The Triforce, being an inanimate object, cannot judge between good and evil."
    Interesting to point out it says that the Mastersword was created during The Imprisoning War.
    I really consider aLttP to be the weakest link (no pun intended) of all the Zelda's.

Oh well I'll finish this post with an interesting quote:
    "Link, do you know the legend
    of the Hero of Time?

Once, long ago, he defeated Ganon and
    brought peace to the Kingdom of Hyrule...

A piece of the Triforce was given to the
    Hero of Time and he kept it safe, much as
    Zelda kept hers.

That sacred piece is known as the
    Triforce of Courage.

When the Hero of Time was called to
    embark on another journey and left the
    land of Hyrule, he was separated from the
    elements that made him a hero.

It is said that at that time, the Triforce of
    Courage was split into eight shards and
    hidden throughout the land.

Even I do not know where they rest, but
    this much I do know: they lie hidden
    somewhere in this Great Sea."

This indicates that the Triforce of Courage was always seperated since the end of OoT (or beginning of MM depends on your viewpoint) until TWW when you collect the pieces.
    It doesn't indicate that between the "Hero of Time embarking on his journey" and "Now somewhere in this Great Sea" was at any given moment one complete piece.

Also how did Ganon aquire the Triforce of Wisdom which was protected by the royal family?

And more importantly have I pointed out that Ganondorf never refers to Link from aLttP?

22. Fettster

Fettster Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 7, 2003
    When did Ganon get the Triforce of Wisdom? OoT, he obviously had Power & Zelda had Wisdom. LoZ, he had Power and Zelda broke Wisdom and hid it. AoL, he wasn't really in, and Link already had Power and Wisdom anyhow (I think...). Was it LttP? I think Zelda had Wisdom then, too. And of course she did in WW.

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Hmm...I'll have to think about that quote.

>>"The Triforce, being an inanimate object, cannot judge between good and evil." <<

In a way, it's true- it still grants the wishes regadless of how pure ones heart is. Apparently the splitting is just a side-reaction (or perhaps has more to do with the essence of the Triforce, rather than the Triforce itself?).

>>Interesting to point out it says that the Mastersword was created during The Imprisoning War. <<

It's said that the Imprisoning War era was forgotten by many people in Hyrule- perhaps details prior to that were among these. (and other details, such as the sages and Hero of Time, recovered by reaqcuiring the Triforce in ALTTP, explaining why such things were known in TWW?)

>>I really consider aLttP to be the weakest link (no pun intended) of all the Zelda's.<<

I look at ALTTP as being the OT of SW in a way- it is the original account of such events, while OOT+ expand upon the actual details and progression of those events (ala the PT), and any discrepancies can be attributed to the passage of time, etc (along the lines of the "3PO is Owen's toaster" explaintion).

24. jangofett100

jangofett100 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 12, 2003
    Well, I?m going to have to go with the whole WW being an alternate reality theory. After all, at the end of OoT, you never actually let Ganondorf into the Sacred Realm, did you? I reckon this is where the new game will come in, as it looks so similar to OoT. Ganondorf will probably make his grab for power here, thereby making all the other games possible.

25. Emperor_Joe

Emperor_Joe Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 7, 2002
    I just realized that I have no Idea what you are talking about.