VIDEO Zelda Fans Come Hither...

Discussion in 'Games' started by alpha_red, May 11, 2004.

1. Corellian_Outrider Admin FF | Art Curator | Oceania RSA | CR of NSW

Administrator
    star 5
    I haven't seen GBA games in stores for a long time. If you have trouble finding it, there is a version available for the Wii's Virtual Console, the 3DS version is exclusive to the 3DS Ambassadors at the moment.
  2. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    I sadly haven't had much time to play the past few months, but now that I'm over the hump on some schoolwork I'm hoping to get some more playtime in as I really do want ti finish TP before I play SS.

You've pretty much described my past experiences with TP. My first playthrough (before my Wii crashed and I lost my file) I had gotten to the Zora stuff, and I definitely died many times on that miniboss while the actual boss was easy. I just got the Master Sword, last I played, IIRC.

And, yeah, too many rupees- it makes it hard to remember what chests you've already gotten since you put back rupees if you don't have room for them.

Z2 does have a lot of that gloriously high difficulty that makes it's accomplishments so satisfying. I don't recall Z1 having much in the way of very powerful enemies, though.
  3. Todd the Jedi Mod and Sitcom Dad of SWTV

Manager
    star 5
    Speaking of difficulty, I got to play Skyward Sword at NYCC and I had a tough time with the sword. The items were easy enough, such as the beetle and the bow, but it was tough getting through some enemy defenses with the sword, especially Ghirahim. The flying was a blast though.

Also I hadn't seen this intro video until now, since they were playing it next to the Wiis.
  4. Jedi knight Pozzi Force Ghost

star 6
    http://palgn.com.au/nintendo-wii/19854/the-legend-of-zelda-skyward-sword-harp-trailer/

I wonder if you could play a harp on the Wii U controller?
  5. Zebra3 Force Ghost

star 5
    I'm loving that music in the trailer. Nintendo seriously needs to put out a soundtrack on iTunes or somewhere else. I'd love to buy it.
  6. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Aren't they including a soundtrack with the collector's edition? Or is that a symphony CD?
  7. Corellian_Outrider Admin FF | Art Curator | Oceania RSA | CR of NSW

Administrator
    star 5
    I think with the Wii U controller that it is possible to play a harp instrument... whether they will include that... Though it would be fun! With how Skyward Sword is as the moment, it probably be more practical using the Wii-mote considering how the motion controls are more optimised for it.

The CD that comes with the Collector's Editions of the game is of the Symphony that is currently touring. I do hope that it does make its way to Australia, I believe that it will continue to tour next year. For the soundtrack to Skyward Sword... there might be some special release via Club Nintendo or something... hopefully!
  8. Jedi knight Pozzi Force Ghost

star 6
    http://palgn.com.au/nintendo-wii/19877/skyward-sword-five-minute-overview-trailer/

Some stuff we've seen, some we haven't.

I'd say one more trailer, and we won't need the game. :p
  9. Corellian_Outrider Admin FF | Art Curator | Oceania RSA | CR of NSW

Administrator
    star 5
    Oh.... half of me wants to watch the trailer but the other doesn't as we are sooooo close to the release date. I can't wait to get my hands on the collector's edition. If only it came with a matching nunchuck attachment too.

Regarding the Symphony, I've heard that one of the last songs to be played there is from Skyward Sword. Has anyone been to the concert?
  10. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Finally put my preorder down for the collector's bundle. Time to crunch Twilight Princess.
  11. Valyn Force Ghost

star 8
    I've been trying to find it in me to be excited about this game...but I can't. I don't know if it's cuz of my dislike of having to use the wii's clumsy and gimmicky mouton tech, or if it's something more, serious.

Maybe I'm tired of rehashing the same story, same plot, same game over and over and over again. :/
  12. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    I'm not crazy hyped for SS yet but I think what is getting me somewhat hyped is the fact that it doesn't look like the same old story over again like TP was.
  13. Nobody145 Force Ghost

star 4
    I'm not a big Zelda fan (its one of those series I really have to get into someday), but I'm looking forward to the prequel-ish parts of SS. Although I'm never quite sure if even the game designers have a timeline of the Zelda games. I haven't looked indepth but I've heard of theories about the timeline order of the games and all that, and that SS is probably the earliest. Although that golden Wiimote does look quite shiny. I wonder how long until reviews start coming out.
  14. Valyn Force Ghost

star 8
    Mouton tech. My smart phone isn't so smart sometimes. :rolleyes:

So the story isn't the same ol' "princess gets kidnapped, lost, needs help--Link to the rescue--after overcoming numerous dungeons and finding Master Sword and learning how to ride a horse?"

15. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Nope, this time, you learn how to ride a bird. ;)

Ok, it's probably still the same structure, but the story being more on the sky world's interaction with the ground world and less of an overt TP clone.

They claim there's an order, but I think whatever they work with is very nebulous, otherwise they'd have revealed it in a consistent manner instead of changing their story every couple years.

Timeline theories vary- several games have clear placements and relationships to one another*, however putting them altogether leaves room for some interpretation (most notably whether you are trying to put the games into a single continuity, or if you subscribe to the theory that suggests Ocarina's ending splits the timeline, with some games set post-OOT being on one timeline tangent and other post-OOT games set on the other).

The Minish Cap and Four Swords were previously the earliest set games, I don't think it's been revealed if Skyward Sword is before or after them (although comments have suggested it is the earliest), but all of them are before OOT.

*Zelda II is direct sequel to the original game, A Link to the Past is a prequel to them, with Link's Awakening being a direct sequel to ALTTP. And OOT is essentially a prequel to ALTTP (although there's some debate on certain specifics there). Majora's Mask is a direct sequel to OOT.

So, almost certainly, at least one timeline tangent is SS (presumably) -> TMC/FS -> OOT/MM -> ALTTP/LA -> LOZ -> Z2; although it's possible other games fall in-between somewhere on that tangent.

Then there's Wind Waker, who has direct sequels with Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks. Wind Waker is definitely set after OOT (as there are numerous references to those events), so that either forms another timeline tangent or falls somewhere in-between the above (it could either be between OOT and ALTTP or between LA & LOZ, depending on how you favor the storylines).

Twilight Princess I can't comment on too much yet, but my understanding is it seems to support being on the alternate tangent.

Lastly there's the two Oracle games, which could be interpreted as either a single split story set between ALTTP & LA or as two similar events happening on different timeline tangents simultaneously that then merge the tangents back together into a single timeline (however, whether this merger happens before LOZ or after Z2, is up for debate, IIRC).

It's ironic that the maps and geography of Hyrule are more consistent across the various games than the series' overall timeline, but having something less definitive of a solution makes for an interesting puzzle :).
  16. Vader_vs_Maul Force Ghost

star 3
    Is Spirit Tracks a direct sequel to Wind Waker and Phantom Hourglass? Is it the same Link? Is Phantom Hourglass the same Link as in WW?
  17. -Phoenix- Force Ghost

star 5
    Phantom Hourglass Link is the same Link as in Wind Waker, but the Spirit Tracks Link is separate, he exists a few generations down the line in the new land that WW Link and Tetra discover (and presumably colonize?) on their travels.
  18. Corellian_Outrider Admin FF | Art Curator | Oceania RSA | CR of NSW

Administrator
    star 5
    I'll blank out the spoilers for those that have not finished Twilight Princess, but I see it as parallel to Wind Waker on an alternative timeline.

When child Link returns at the end of OoT and tells Zelda about what happened, Ganondorf is arrested and later executed. It goes wrong and Ganondorf was sealed away before he could break away. The execution scene is shown in cutscene in Twilight Princess.

The media have been receiving their review copies of the game so expect reviews to be popping up soon.

There is a video available on the Nintendo Video Channel on the 3DS that has a 4:54 min clip at the recording session for the Symphony Soundtrack. Also the track listing for the Symphony Soundtrack had been unofficially leaked..
  19. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    That's a pretty good list, though, of course, I would have preferred something like the Dark World Overworld Theme, Dark World Mountain or Marin's Song (or heck, even a Z2 suite, even though that'd be unlikely) to the fairy fountain theme. But then, maybe those'll pop up in the medley.

Still, the fairy fountain would not be near my Top 10 list for tracks deserving the symphonic treatment. I'm actually pleasantly surprised that they didn't saturate it with Ocarina tracks, as that seems to have been the cliche'd approach to these things in the past.

Given that I'm not as in love with OOT's soundtrack as other people are (when compared to any of the other non-N64 console games), that works for me :). However, Gerudo Valley getting it's own track is most appropriate, as that was the clear standout track for that game.
  20. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    So I finished funding the bridge repair and am about to start saving for the magic armor and go searching Lake Hylia for the missing ally of Telma's.

Really enjoying some of the little moments- as I exited the west gate of Castle Town and approached Epona (where I left her), the two archers that attack you take aim...and then get stomped by Epona before I even get there. :cool:

After beating the STAR game, the groupies reaction to you speaking to them leaving hearts behind also made my LOL.

The springwater barrel delivery was also rather fun, running evasively to avoid all the things chasing after me, hehe.

Also, I couldn't help but have my interest peak at the mention of a race of sky people and a city in the sky, given Skyward Sword's theme and my intention of finishing TP for SS.

Not sure if I've commented on it before, but I love the scale of Hyrule in this game. I think this is the first Zelda game to really capture the same sense of a large world that the original 2 games had and the overall feel of Hyrule.

There's a "far from home" vibe that even ALTTP lacked somewhat (except maybe for portions of the Dark World), while the other 3D games are more claustrophobic (due to 64 bit limitations; and Wind Waker is a bit a different feeling altogether). It's something similar to being on the more dangerous edges of the map in Z1 back in the day, or being anywhere in Eastern Hyrule in Z2.
  21. Leto II Jedi Master

star 6
    ...Or pretty much anywhere in Hyrule, period, in Zelda II. ;)

Agreed that this is probably the first Zelda title to truly impart a sense of vast scope to Hyrule, reminiscent of the early NES days. When Zelda III rolled around, Hyrule was far more dynamic, to be sure, but the map still felt incredibly small. Ocarina improved on this slightly, but Twilight Princess makes your jaw drop with how huge (and intricate) the countryside actually is, from province to province.
  22. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Yeah, even ignoring the extra provinces (like Ordon) that don't have an equivalent in the other games (well, it's hard to say exactly if it has a counterpart in Z2- or it could just be under water by that point in time).

I think one factor is the increased z-axis facet of the world design. Even though Z1 was 2D, you felt like you were surrounded by rocky formations and mountains (well, not literally the entire map, but you get my point), whereas Z3 and OOT are often more like rock walls forming a corridor or room.

Because the x and y facets don't change all that much. I don't think OOT's overworld is much bigger than ALTTPs- it feels more opened up because you have Lon Lon Ranch's smaller footprint in the middle of Hyrule Field instead of Hyrule Castle II, plus the rate of character motion as well (2D Link moves faster than 3D Link, it seems). But I'd be surprised if the actual digital square footage ends up being drastically different.

Wind Waker had a huge scale to it, but that was somewhat artificial due to the water. TP clearly opens up many of the spaces to at least twice their previous size.

As to "anywhere in Hyrule in Z2", yeah. in fact, just yesterday I was talking about Zelda with a friend on FB:

I keep trying to play Zelda 2 on the gamecube but I think something went wrong when they made it because I took two hits from a red darknut with the shield spell on and it killed me....over and over. It could just be that it's been so long since I played that game that I forgot how difficult it really was.

Me: "Zelda 2 is really that difficult." ;)

On the SS front, IGN is claiming SS is the best Zelda ever, with some preview comments as to why.

...no torch puzzles? That...shows remarkable restraint on N's part.

Penny-Arcade also had this tidbit:

I can tell you one of my favorite things about The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword without spoiling the game one whit, which is nice. Are you ready?

Playing the game, you start to wonder how long they?ve been prototyping some of these motions. Did they have these interactions modelled already, but lacked a controller of the necessary resolution? Even individual enemies become tiny puzzles to be sussed out, creating that squirt of ?I AM CLEVER? brain juice that invariably leads to a bumping of fists.

Here?s the thing I was talking about before, the cool thing. So, Link doesn?t have a default arm position when he?s holding his sword: there isn?t one in his animation. He is holding the sword whatever way you are holding the Wiimote, which you might not realize at first. What this meant was that, walking through a dark cave, Gabriel was holding his sword out in front of him - just as a scared young man might do, but he was doing it because the controller was being held out in front, at the ready! Later, it?s a tool of expression: we like to hold the sword behind us at an angle, to give it that yojimbo flair. You will decide how you like yours, also; I thought you might like to know.
  23. Corellian_Outrider Admin FF | Art Curator | Oceania RSA | CR of NSW

Administrator
    star 5
    That is really cool about the motion of the sword is translated to your stance as well. Just another 14 days for my region till I can pick up my copy!

There is a video of Zelda and Robin Williams promoting the Skyward Sword.

For those that don't have a 3DS that has access to the internet or don't have the system at all, you can still view the Recording session video for the Symphony CD... beautiful music and it looks amazing in the dark with the 3D turned on if viewing it through the Nintendo Video Channel.

There is also a titbit that Nintendo is working on a Zelda for the 3DS and they are considering a Majora's Mask remake for the system but not so close after OoT 3DS.
  24. Nobody145 Force Ghost

star 4
    GameInformer's review gave Skyward Sword a 10/10, so that's a very good sign. Must remember to play this game this year, I have so many other games I start but never finish, especially the huge ones like Zelda. And I might still be busy with Super Mario 3D Land (which is also receiving several good scores) when this game is released. I've also heard that they're interested in a Link to the Past remake too, although after the OoT remake, a newer Zelda 3DS game possibly has priority. Well, its either LttP or a brand new Zelda on 3DS and then Majora's Mask. Looking forward to Skyward Sword as the Wii's final essential game (unless something else pops up, but unlikely by this stage).
  25. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    There's still a chance of another game or two squeaking in for the Wii- much like how a couple noteable DS games came out recently despite the 3DS. They most likely won't be SS quality, though. ;)

EDIT- And, holy crap, that recording session preview was great- although it's not so much a medley (unless there are more elements to be mixed into the final track) as it is just the main theme/overworld theme, however, that brief appearance of the ALTTP main title was unexpected and immensely awesome.

EDIT 2- Holy crap x2: Skyward's theme is Zelda's Lullaby backwards.