main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Zelda Fans Come Hither...

Discussion in 'Community' started by alpha_red, May 11, 2004.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Got my copy- hopefully can play it later tonight (even if briefly) after I finish TP. Will definitely listen to the CD later, though.

Was also very happy that the gold Wiimote is the same size and design as the standard Wiimote, so the rechargeable batteries for my Rabbids charge station still work [face_dancing] (though I did have to swap out the gold battery cover for the red one (since red armor is more pwoerful than blue armor... ;)) to work with the station). Put the rubber slipcase on another Wiimote (I'll never send a wiimote flying but I don't trust everyone who plays to be as reliable as myself in that regards ;)).

However, I also got the collector's players guide (from the same hardcover, gold-edged series as previous ones). Why in the HELL is that thing literally HALF as thick as TP's?! Even Spirit Tracks' guide was thicker than SS's (though thinner than TP's; can't speak for PH's since i missed picking that one up).

2. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    "Skyward Sword" is my first experience with the "Wii Motion Plus" and while it's a great addition to gameplay, I'm not really noticing that it's one to one with my movements. When it says put it on a flat surface, do you guys just lay it on the floor upside down like in the picture on the screen? I find myself having to stand and play to get the full range of motions. Maybe there is a calibration I need to do because it almost feels, especially on the map, gear and other pause screens that the cursor is fighting me, if you get my meaning.

3. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Finished Twilight Princess! With a little over an hour to spare before my self-imposed deadline! ;)

(sure, it's taken me almost 5 years to the day from when it was released, but given I had to start over my save early this/last year, it's not quite so bad- certainly not as bad as the TWW 3 year save I had ;)).

Now the only question is- can I take any more Zelda in one day? I might have to wait till tomorrow to recharge my batteries (figuratively and literally- my gold wiimote needs a recharge! ;)).

Sky Temple was fine (the dragon battle was appropriately epic), the Twilight Palace was interesting (the hands of Nant were a nice twist on the Wallmaster concept).

I ultimately skipped completing the Cave of Ordeals (I actually wouldn't have even really known to look for it Omega hadn't mentioned it). I DID take a stab at it, and it was a very satisfying challenge (easily the hardest challenge in the game), and I made it all the way to the last room on that first try, but the trio of Darknuts were ultimately too much for what I had left (partially my fault, as I filled 2 of my 3 bottles (I never found the the 4th) with red potion instead of blue potion- those extra few hearts probably would have made a difference (the third was the great fairy tears)).

It was neat to see that cave as the mechanism for introducing fairies into the game (even though you REALLY don't need them except for in the cave itself!), I had wondered why they were so rare in the game.

(SPOILERS for final battles)

Nant... geez, he was a dissapointment. His projections were cool, and I'm fine with going through all the boss fights again (and by having him inhabit each boss's pattern, it's a more unique spin on the concept versus, say, ALTTP's actual rematch of the 3 light world bosses in the Tower of Hera), but, they sure made Nant a freaking spaz, didn't they? He was cool as a big baddie until then, but, yeah, Spaz'ola.

The Ganon battle was more interesting...eventually. Having him puppet Zelda was a nice thematic twist on things, but can we PLEASE have Ganon retire the Agahnim attack pattern? The beast mode assault was more interesting- it's also a neat little spin on the original LOZ Ganon battle to a degree as well (complete with red and blue energy spikes). The horseback battle was ok, but the final sword battle was awesome. That was rather satisfying (at least as satisfying as a no-death final boss match can be).

As far as the story overall goes, I really liked Nant and Midna's story- but they waited far too late in the game to really develop it. They shouldn't have tried to keep it a secret/mystery to reveal at the end (we all know Midna is the Twilight Princess long before it's revealed), but rather introduce it mid-game (like around the time Nant attacks Midna in the Spirit Cave) so it could develop more.

Ganon should have been sidelined to allow Nant to be developed as a Big Baddie as well (they could have kept Ganon's cameo in there/exposure to the Twilight Realm as the cause for Nant's power/corruption but not physically included him). Let Nant be the one who turns into a giant beast (he dresses like a fish already, afterall), etc.

The ending with the mirror was great though. Midna's true form design is excellent- shame she's gone now. I'm surprised they didn't do more with the allies attacking the castle as well as everyone returning home to Ordon- we see brief glimspes from a distance, but I'd figure the kids coming home (well, minus the enterprising Malo) would be a big deal, as well as Link and Ilia, would be a bigger deal.

So, overall, it's a great game, but it was harmed by repetitive elements (it feels almost like a hybrid remake of OOT, ALTTP & LOZ at times) yet still managed to introduce some great new stuff and convey a great feel and scale to the series that it hasn't had in over 20 years. The battles are on an epic scale the series has never seen before, but that's offset by the lack of difficulty in the game- this is the easiest Zelda game you'll ever play (at least on a console). Go in expecting the main challenge

4. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Been playing through several hours of Skyward Sword and so far its been great. Beautiful graphics, wonderful music and just getting into the story now. My Link has just gotten his traditional outfit and is about to embark on his adventure. Fi is certainly a memorable character (her personality- if Zelda weren't a fantasy/magic series, I'd say she's like an AI, or at least the mystical weapon of fate equivalent). To be quite honest, I've never played a console Zelda before, so most of this is new for me, so not sure if other people will appreciate it as much as I have. I see that complaint/praise pop up in most reviews. I have copies of some older Zelda games lying around, but haven't gotten around to playing through them. Although if I had to choose a game for my first Zelda experience (well, aside from Spirit Tracks, where I still haven't finished a few Temples, and that's only a handheld), I figured might as well wait for Skyward Sword and I'm loving it so far.

5. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Skyward Sword is 50-100 hours long with Hero Mode.

So, it seems doing a medium amount of sidequests nets you around 50 hours of playtime to finish Skyward, and as low as the mid-30's if you poke around a lot less.

However, finishing the game unlocks Hero Mode, which starts the game over while increases the difficulty (fewer hearts, etc) and rumor has it includes additional dialogue (but I suspect that might be the result of the (albeit limited) dialogue trees from item crafying and various sidequests/sequence breaking). Which brings the total playtime into the 50-100 hour range.

Hmm. Sounds like I'd have liked to have had that mode as an option from the beginning.

Ok, so my initial impressions after playing up until the acquisition of the green tunic:

I like some of the control improvements a lot- in particular the 1st person POV controls that let you move around (it also avoids the problem with TP with the fairy cursor moving the camera). Having to actually throw a jar/vase to smash them for goodies will take some getting used to, though.

Having to dash + nunchuk to roll is more complicated than I would have liked- but maybe that's just because I'm so used to abusing that action from TWW & TP as a common means of motion (probably why they did the dash instead).

I love the stamina meter- that's an excellent addition (even when carrying stuff- which is funny because towards the end of TP, I was wondering why Link never gets tired carrying these heavy objects around direction above his head).

I don't like having hardpoint save stations, though- would rather that have stayed as an any-time menu option. I do like the iOS-esque menu screen rotate interface.

Flight controls aren't too bad at first glance- but it'll take some more practice with it before I can really determine how good they are or if they'll be as hard to control as horseback field combat in TP.

Sword controls I like and they work pretty well so far. Even the Keese take two hits now (at least with the initial sword).

That wall run dash feature is going to take some serious getting used to, though. Sure, places like Prince of Persia and Ninja Gaiden have been doing it for a long time, but within a Zelda context, it's just not something you think about in terms of "can i reach that?" twitch reactions. But that's not a bad thing- between that and the stamina meter, it puts a great twist on the gameplay as far as character control goes.

A minor complaint, but I don't like the font size at all- it's rather hard to read on an SDTV at a Wiimote distance (at least with my eyes), much like trying to read menu text from a blu-ray on an SDTV. I wonder why they shrank it.

A show if hands: who else tried to throw the pet over the edge as soon as they picked it up? [face_laugh] (for those that didn't- it doesn't let you, it's just an amusing initial reaction what with the throwing arc guidelines).

As far as the story goes... is it me, or does Zelda's father's eyebrows suggest he's connected to the Owl?

Also, what's with the colored gas emissions trailing their birds during the ceremony? "Carebirds: Fart!" ;)

It's interesting that the iconography omits the Triforce as well- clearly the implication so far is that the full Triforce crest is a combination of the Triforce and the Skyloft (Knights?) winged insignia.

While SS is clearly earliest in the timeline, I wonder where the backstory events with the demons on the ground and the (singular) Goddess fits in relation to the events with those banished to the Twilight Realm and the backstory battle related to the Four Sword/Minish storyline.

Lastly, in regards to the Symphony CD, does anyone have a list of what tracks were used in the Medley? I can only ID some of them and guess at others, while the first min or so I don't recognize (though around the minute mark it starts to sound like Wind Waker). You obviously have the main theme around the 4:00 mark and the Darkworld Ov

6. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    I've been wondering the same thing. It sounds so familiar and I can't put my finger on the different arrangements throughout.

7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Aha, found a breakdown of the major components:

-ALTTP: Triforce Chamber
    -ST: Overworld Theme
    -TWW: Dragon Roost Island
    -Main Theme
    -ALTTP: Darkworld Overworld Theme
    -Main Theme

That's a nice mix there (definitely didn't expect Triforce Chamber). though, let's be honest, they could have easily done a second or third medley (Marin's lullaby, Darkworld Mountain, ALTTP Prologue, Z2 Title Screen, Z2 Palace, Z2 Final battle & LOZ Dungeon come to mind).

EDIT- Ah, seems there kinda is: there are tracks not on the CD performed at the live show:

Selected Shorts

Boss Medley

Hyrule Field

Ganondorf's Theme

And apparently others:

-Hyrule Castle
    -Princess Zelda's Theme
    -Ocarina Song Medley
    -Grandma's Theme

8. Nobody145

Feb 9, 2007
    Spoiler for the second temple- apparently there is at least one Indiana Jones fan among the stuff, with that boulder and all. [face_laugh]

And doh, can't believe it took me until most of the world map was filled in to realize- the three regions are named for the three Hyrulian Goddesses. Although this is the first Zelda game I'm actually going to finish, but I know enough about Zelda to catch at least half the references what with this being a prequel and all. Haven't gotten far enough yet to see how this game relates to the other- so far its the general "Link and Zelda are friends, then Zelda disappears and Link chases her across most of the world". Well, don't think the Zelda series has done that exact storyline before, but seen it in various animes/tv shows before- girl is getting ready to confess and then they're separated for most of the game/show.

Still, fun game even though I sometimes wish the motion controls were a little bit easier to use- rolling bombs is a strain on the wrist eventually.

Although it helps that I actually don't know how the story goes, so that helps a lot in finishing the game. For every other Zelda game I already spoiled myself long ago, now I don't know how the story goes, so I'm more motivated to make it through the dungeons.

9. -Gundark-

-Gundark- Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 1, 2010
    Anyone else having a ****** of a time figuring out the bug net? Flying bugs like butterflies are as easy as flailing wildly, but bugs/birds on the ground seem impossible. Am I doing something wrong? Do I need to wait until they start flying before I swing? Grrrr....

Also, WHY CAN"T I NAME MY BIRD?!

Otherwise, beautiful game deserving all the perfect scores it recieved :) :_| :) :-B

10. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    So, what are your thoughts on the game so far?

I haven't gotten it yet, but the reviews I read were kind of discouraging. Seems like many reviewers simply hate the controls, and broken/annoying controls might be enough to turn me off this game. I don't like the Wii, and mine's been collecting dust ever since Donkey Kong Country Returns.

I purposely got Twilight Princess on the Gamecube over the Wii simply to avoid using the clumsy Wii motion technology.

So...do the controls really harm this game as bad as some reviews claim?

11. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    I've been having a great time so far. The combat is a lot more strategic than in previous Zelda games. You've actually got to pay attention to the enemy's tells to be able to fight them well. If you just go in hacking and slashing all you'll get for your trouble is a tired arm.

As for how precise the controls are, they've actually been working pretty well for me. I hold the wiimote off to the right and so does Link. I raise the nunchuck and Link's shield goes up. If the controls start going wonky it's usually because I'm holding the controller at a weird angle but you can usually fix that by pressing the down button, which returns the sword/cursor to the center of the screen.

I'm still trying to get a handle on the flying, however. But I think I've got a system that works for me: fly up as high as I can go, point my bird in the direction of where I want to go and slightly angle the wiimote downward. That way the camera doesn't shift to right above me and obstruct my view.

All in all it works pretty well if you're willing to learn a new controller scheme.

12. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    I've managed to pick up the Collector's Edition earlier than expected. I love the controller, the Symphony CD that comes with it... I wish there were more tracks but I guess they are saving that for the concerts that are touring.

I am loving Skyward Sword; the visuals/art direction is beautiful, the character moments and story so far makes me smile, I am enjoying the controls and I find they work very well.

I think where some reviewers might have issues with the controls is because they are thinking with the pointer, not with the motion + feature.

13. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    What is motion+?

14. Zebra3

Aug 28, 2004
    Well, basically it's an add on the the wiimote (or you can get one with it built in) that mimics your motions with the controller in real-time in the game. You have to have it to play Skyward Sword.

15. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    The flying is similar to the plane section of Wii Sports Resort though more with a bird than plane. I do like how you can 'flap' to gain altitude.

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    There's the Wii Motion Plus, which is an add-on for existing wiimotes:

[image=http://wiimedia.ign.com/wii/image/article/893/893192/interview-with-wii-motion-creators-20080723034231934.jpg]

and also the Wii Remote Plus, which integrates the tech into a normal-sized wii-mote:

[image=http://flingsmash.nintendo.com/_ui/img/misc/wii-remote-price.png]

(the logo at the bottom distinguishes it)

It increases/enhances the non-pointer functionality of a wiimote- it's what allows Skyward Sword to have the more complex sword combat simulation abilities people are talking about in reviews.

As mentioned above, Skyward Sword requires you to have one of them (the game even has a boot screen to remind you of this), and the Collector's Edition comes with a wiimote+ (a gold colored one at that) in the box, along with the Symphony CD.

17. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Mine finally arrived in the mail! I was delightfully surprised to find it came with the 25th anniversary CD, which I had thought only came with the collector's edition, but whatever. Also picked up a wii remote+ so I'm all set and probably won't sleep tonight since I'll be glued to my tv with this.

18. Zebra3

Aug 28, 2004
    Hah! I just discovered that Tingle is in the game! There's a little Tingle doll on Zelda's desk.

19. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    I'm currently on my way to get the third flame in the 2nd fire temple and hopefully the Goddess Sword will look like the Master Sword after that happens.

I'm trying not to spoil myself and figure the puzzles out on my own, but if anyone can give me a hint on where I find the paper for the person/spirit in the bathroom I'd greatly appreciate it.

One of my favorite moments of the game was going to the place in the desert where you ride the mine cart and you are trying to find the ship and it turns out that the ship hanger is full of sand and you have to fight a giant black scorpion (again).. What was cool about it is that it goes to show you that not everything you do is the game has to yield a positive outcome and sometimes you come up empty handed. It's a lot like real life and I appreciated and respected the game designer's decision to put that part in the game.

20. Nobody145

Feb 9, 2007
    Yeah, very good game, not to mention it looks quite beautiful. Although I find the Timeshift mechanic slightly creepy/sad. These robots have been lying there for centuries (if not longer), but strike a Timeshift and they're back in perfect condition, although sadly so are all the enemies from that era (stupid laser tower).

Almost got the second flame, then its onto the third flame. Being an adventure game, not surprised I have to keep going on a scavenger hunt, although looking forward to the fully powered up sword as well.

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Skyward is fastest-selling Zelda of all time

Nintendo has revealed that The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword is the fastest-selling Zelda game of all time. Since launch, 535,000 copies of the game have been sold in the United States alone.

The numbers were boosted by strong sales over the holiday weekend, with 500,000 Wii systems sold on Black Friday.

22. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    The storyline thus far is flawless and it has almost brought me to tears (happy tears). I haven't even finished it and I'm already thinking about playing through it again.

23. Zebra3

Aug 28, 2004
    Okay, it's bad enough we have the "Your health is low" chime in this game but I REALLY DON'T NEED FI BUTTING IN TOO TO TELL ME THAT MY FREAKING HEALTH IS LOW IN ADDITION TO THE GOD-AWFUL CHIME. I KNOW MY HEALTH IS LOW!!!

As much as I love Zelda there are certain areas of gameplay that the team really needs to update. The chime by itself is fine but I really don't need a back up to that. Also, what's the deal with making a big deal about showing me the items and bugs again whenever I get some when I load up an old save? They did that with the rupees in Twilight Princess and everyone hated it. When I beat a certain room I should be thinking "Wow! That was cool!" Instead I keep thinking "No! I don't give a crap about the Jelly Blobs anymore and I really don't want to see it get put in my inventory again!" You'd think they would have learned their lesson. Also, FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THINGS HOLY, let us adjust the text speed. I'd much rather have the option to have instant text or, at the least, super fast text. The slow text or the slightly less slow text when you press A just doesn't work for me.

And no, I don't think these are quirky little things for the Zelda series. I find them annoying and distracting.

edit: Also, does Nintendo think I'm a complete moron? I had this experience in a dungeon today; the thing I was looking for was behind these bars but the way to get over there was through a locked door right next to it. Ever-helpful Fi (that's sarcasm there) showed up to tell me that the thing I was looking for was behind the bars and the way over there was through the locked door but she suggested I find the key for it first..... I'd been playing the game at least 45 hours at that point. Do they really think I wouldn't have caught on by then? I mean, that's what I'd been doing with every single locked door in the game up to that point. Why in the world have her pop in 45 hours in just to tell me to find a key?!

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I definitely agree about the re-description of things like rupees. That was definitely the most annoying thing about TP (I think TWW did it also). Once per game (not save load) is sufficient. Being reminded of their values really isn't all that important to the player (especially in TP where rupees were so plentiful and there were only 1 or 2 money-crunch situations).

25. -Gundark-

-Gundark- Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 1, 2010

+1. Fi has become the new Navi, worse since she usually skips the "Hey, listen!" prompt and interrupts the gameplay automatically. Stop holding my hand and PLEASE stop showing me the same butterfly I've already picked up twenty times! Also, I'm a little disappointed that I haven't seen more flying puzzles. My bird feels like a taxi and less like the chracter King of Red Lions was in TWW.