VIDEO Zelda Fans Come Hither...

Discussion in 'Games' started by alpha_red, May 11, 2004.

1. Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Urgh. Fi is worse than Navi ever was. This game has far too much "show and tell" when all they really need is "show". I don't need to be told that something is now unlocked if I just watched a mini-cutscene showing it getting unlocked. It hurts the atmosphere and lessens the sense of accomplishment one gets from figuring that stuff out on your own. Would have been nice if there was an option to disable Fi, just like the HUD...

Likewise, the harp is pretty much the most pointless thing ever. Very much a step backwards from the ocarina, baton, and even the silly wolf howl. I guess it's too hard for the player to learn a song these days, so they had to replace that type of thing with quick time events.

But besides that, and the somewhat wonky controls, good game so far. I just got the second flame.
  2. TiniTinyTony Force Ghost

star 5
    I also beat the game on December 4th and agree with mostly everything you said. It definitely was EPIC.

I loved and enjoyed the overall storyline. I don't know if it was the way it was written or how everything was expressed through the characters but this is the first Zelda game that has brought me to tears. Other Zelda games have come close but this one did it from first flight. Annoying reminders and controls aside, kudos to the developers and all those involved.

After beating the game once, I didn't save over my data, but made a copy, beat that game and saved over it so I have one slot to do the Hero Mode if I choose. I'm letting every thing settle first before I go back for a second round. :)
  3. -Gundark- Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    I've been marathon-ing this game since release every night after work and just now got the whip...how do you guys do that?! :p

New Fi gripe: I ask for advice on how to beat a particular boss and get the "insufficient data response" but once I figure it out she tells me everything I just learned on my own.

Why the heck is Fi even there?

Still, all gripes aside, LOZ:SS is so awesome, I haven't touched Skyrim since SS's release.

Indeed, I used to be an adventurer like you, but then I took a Zelda game to the knee [face_mischief]
  4. TiniTinyTony Force Ghost

star 5
    It's funny because I was wondering how much time I spent playing it and thankfully Nintendo keeps track of everything you do on your Wii's Message Board. Since release day, I played it approx 2.5 hours each day after work and approx. 5-6 hours on Saturdays. In the two week time period that it took me to beat it, there were some days that I didn't play it at all or only for an hour.

Puzzle wise I don't want to say it was easy, but most weren't too hard to figure out. Realizing that a bomb can still blow up a wall when thrown in lava near a wall and not just sink and fizz out was something new and surprising.

The Silent Realm puzzles were pretty tough and thankfully after failing the first one twice, I took the advice of Fi and left the ones closest to the start for last. Also if you fail twice, then the third time Fi will put the locations on your map. So if you're in a hurry, get sliced twice quick and then you'll have a complete map.
  5. Todd the Jedi Mod and Sitcom Dad of SWTV

Manager
    star 5
    Heh, I never needed more than two tries for the Silent Realm trials so I had no idea Fi would do that. I'd probably have been done about 5 days ago if finals weren't getting in the way, but whatever, I'm close to the finish anyway.
  6. Togruta Force Ghost

star 4
    Great that Skyward Sword is getting all these good ratings, it does make me want to play it even more. I've looked on Amazon and.. I'm just curious, does every listing come in a bundle with something? I'm not finding an option where you can just buy the game and that's it. I do have to buy the Wii Motion plus controller since I don't have one, but still, you shouldn't have to spend more money on something you don't want/need.

Is this the case with other places? Or is this an Amazon thing?
  7. Ulicus Lit'ari

Manager
    star 6
    Skyward Sword was good -- I especially like the greater degree of customisation for Link, and hope that is taken further in subsequent games -- but way too light on story. I'm not expecting MGS length cutscenes in a Zelda game, but, seriously. It starts out much better than it ends in this regard.

Though
    Show Spoiler
    at this point, I think Nintendo should be banned from writing time travel stories. :p
  8. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Kinda sounds like the opposite of Twilight Princess, which saved too much of it's story for the end of the game.
  9. TiniTinyTony Force Ghost

star 5
    Togruta: You can just buy the game at Amazon sans bundle.

http://www.amazon.com/Legend-Zelda-Skyward-Sword-Nintendo-Wii/dp/B002BSC54I/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1324046071&sr=1-1

As for story, it felt very end heavy with the surprises, but isn't that typical Zelda? The writers present us with the initial story, we learn tidbits along the way and then in the end we understand what it's all been about the whole time. Some great scenes at the Temple of Time were awesome and only left me craving wanting to know more and drove the story forward./>
  10. Ulicus Lit'ari

Manager
    star 6
    There certainly were some great scenes and great surprises throughout (though only one of which I really didn't see coming)... I just felt the game was pretty light on the story. That's generally rather characteristic of all Zelda games, of course, but given their forays into stuff like mini-dialogue trees and other RPG staples this time around, I had hoped for more. Not sure why.

I was
    Show Spoiler
    pretty disappointed by how short the ending and post-credit cutscenes were, for example. When you put that many hours in to see the end, I don't think a big ending sequence is too much to ask for.
  11. Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus

star 6
    So there's a (quasi?) official timeline in some Japanese Zelda artbook. There's a post-OoT split, of course... but it's a triple split. o__O

And FSA is amusingly tacked on after Twilight Princess. :p
  12. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Triple split? I didn't even want a single split :p.

It does at least maintain the OOT/ALTTP/Oracles/LA/LOZ/AOL order I believe must be maintained, but avoiding the "can't have Ganon break out before ATTP" issue by using another timeline seems unnecessary (that and there's no reason why MM can't be in the same timeline).
  13. melkor834 Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    Not a fan of the timeline. I've never liked "what if?" timelines. So while timelines B and C are cool A just seems stupid.
  14. Todd the Jedi Mod and Sitcom Dad of SWTV

Manager
    star 5
    I don't know, something seems suspect about this whole thing. As the story goes now Link does not ever die in OOT, except as a gameplay mechanism, unless all of the time traveling means that there's a third Link somewhere mixed in, but then Ganon would be defeated by the simultaneously existing original!Link and the duplicate dies? Or aach time Link time-travelled he made a new Link and there's actually countless splits and oh I've gone cross-eyed!

But I think I'd like to hear something from Miyamoto or Aonuma before I take Kotaku for its word.[face_talk_hand]
  15. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Well, it's not Kotaku but rather a translation of a Zelda art book that just came out (...which I hope we will be able to get stateside?).

But, yeah, I don't see why a third timeline is needed- especially when, as mentioned above, we've never been given any indication that a "Death Of Link" option exists as anything more than a gameplay mechanism.

Not to mention there's no reason for the DOL timeline to be any different than "Adult Link Victorious". Ganon gets sealed away by the Sages regardless if Link lives or dies.
  16. Nobody145 Force Ghost

star 4
    I so hope they bring that book over here someday, it sounds really awesome. Although I've still got to get around to finishing Skyward Sword. I was playing a lot, then got annoyed at one section (Losing all your weapons and sneaking around does not sound appealing) and was distracted by real life after that, and more recently my life has been consumed by a certain new MMO.

I haven't played many Zelda games, but according to the translation (which may or may not be completely accurate) it comes down to the timelines splitting at OoT (of course), with young Link, adult Link and dead Link? Heh, imagine the crossover possibilities, but then its not like we haven't had multiple Links before (of various colors). Isn't Hyrule underwater in Wind Waker? Although I haven't played Wind Waker yet anyway, but thought it was something like that, so maybe Hyrule was drowned due to Link losing? Although I think I read somewhere that Wind Waker's story explained it anyway, I've just been trying not to spoil myself with too many details.

Really hope they release this book in English someday (don't even really care what the price might be either).
  17. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Yeah, Hyrule is under water in TWW. I believe the opening prologue tale says TWW's flooding happens after the hero left Hyrule, which previously implied it was tied to the child-Link timeline (who left Hyrule in MM).
  18. melkor834 Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    Well remember that in the end of the adult timeline in OoT, Link also leave Hyrule by going back in time. Effectively he no longer exists in that timeline anymore and only exists in the Child one.

Edit: I'm still trying to figure out how Timeline A exists. B and C make sense as changing the past in OoT causes the timeline to split, but I can't think of anything else in OoT that would allow us to say there was a second split to create Timeline A.
  19. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Yeah, thats the confusing part- as per ALTTP (which is the DOL timeline according to this chart), Ganon is sealed away by the sages. Yet in the ALV timeline, the sages still seal away Ganon, so there's nothing different about the outcome (except that Link doesn't go back in time and create the Child Link split).
  20. TiniTinyTony Force Ghost

star 5
    I don't know why anyone hasn't posted the timeline here yet.

"Unofficial" time line translated per Hyrule History Japanaese Legend of Zelda 25th Anniversary book:

Main Timeline
    1. Skyward Sword
    2. The Minish Cap
    3. Four Swords
    4. Ocarina of Time

Split 1: Link defeats Ganon - childhood branch
    1. Majora's Mask
    2. Twilight Princess
    3. Four Swords Adventures

Split 2: Link defeats Ganon - adult branch
    1. The Wind Waker
    2. Phantom Hourglass
    3. Spirit Tracks

Split 3: Link fails in Ocarina Of Time
    1. A Link to the Past
    2. Oracles of Seasons and Ages
    3. Link's Awakening
    4. The Legend of Zelda
    5. Zelda II

So let me talk this out and you guys can tell me if I have this straight...

(A)
    So Ocarina of Time begins and child Link is thrust into an adventure. Child Link goes forward in time does stuff and then comes back to his original timeline. So in Split Time Line 1 child Link returns from the future after having sealed Ganon away in the Sacred Realm. Since there is no threat of evil in his current time line he decides to leave Hyrule and that's when he runs into the skull kid and then "Major's Mask" story happens.

(B)
    So Ocarina of Time begins and child Link is thrust into an adventure. Child Link goes forward in time and becomes an adult. So in Split Time Line 2 adult Link, who saved the day by defeating Ganon by sealing him away in the Sacred Realm disappears when Zelda plays the Ocarina. From the point of view from the rest of that world in the adult Link time line, the hero has left, but evil has been defeated. Years and years after Ganon heals from his battle with adult Link, he breaks the seal, floods Hyrule thus eventually leading into the events of "The Wind Waker" where a new hero of legend is born.

OK, now for the hard one....
    (C)
    So Ocarina of Time begins and child Link is thrust into an adventure. Child Link goes forward in time and becomes an adult. He doesn't return to his original child time line, nor does he disappear when Zelda plays the Ocarina in the adult time line because he's dead. So in Split Time Line 3 adult Link fails to defeat Ganon. So if adult Link fails aka dies, we probably have to assume that the Seven Sages attempt to seal Ganon on their own per order of the King (from the child Link time line) which is talked about in the beginning of "A Link to the Past". Unfortunately, since adult Link dies, he didn't battle and defeat Ganon using the Master Sword, so again I assume Ganon is pretty powerful and breaks out of the Sacred Realm pretty easily and creates his alter ego Agahhim to infiltrate the castle from within and take power. ("A Link to the Past"). I would have to guess then that child Link's world is the "Light World" and adult Link's world is the "Dark World". ("A Link to the Past").
  21. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    The "Dark World" is the corrupted Scared Realm, not an alternate timeline.
  22. TiniTinyTony Force Ghost

star 5
    Ok, I can agree with that. Everyone else I said makes sense?
  23. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    I think so, yeah- though the bit about Ganon being strong enough to break the seal is a bit hazy (because, IIRC, there are different interpretations as to whether or not they are the same person) since Ganon still needs Agahnim to break the seal by sending the maidens into the Dark World, while Ganon manages to break free seemingly without breaking the seal via exiling the maidens in TWW- which would be counter-intuitive to the suggestion that Ganon's ability to break free is based upon whether or not Adult Link succeeded in defeating/weakening Ganon in OOT.
  24. Darth_Omega Force Ghost

star 6
    ^Aganihm = Ganon, Aganihm is Ganon's bunshin. aLttP translation really screwed that part that up.

[image=http://storage.siliconera.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/zelda_timeline.jpg]

So every time I want to play the games in order of the timeline I have to force myself to die in OoT ruining my perfect 000 score? How dastardly evil of you Nintendo!
  25. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    What's a bunshin?

Other than clarification on the "why does dead OOT Link result in something different" issue and the repeated "Ganon is revived" line (why does Ganon need to be revived in ALTTP if he wasn't killed/defeated by Link in OOT? I think they're taking some of Ganon's defeats a bit too literally)... it does solve some of the more difficult timeline issues, although it does sacrifice some of the other possible connections between games (TWW resulting in LOZ, new continent potentially being eastern Hyrule, etc).

Although, glancing at it one more time, the tragedy of Princess Zelda I seems an odd placement- especially if there were at least 3 Princess Zeldas before then.