main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Zelda: Ocarina of Time - Still the Greatest in This Day and Age?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Valyn, Jan 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    So I was doing some reading about how a lot of video games today borrowed game mechanics that were first introduced in Zelda: Ocarina of Time and how, in a way, OoT is kind of like the father of modern 3D games.

I recently read one article saying that despite the aging graphics and sounds, OoT still stands up against today's games.

What do you guys think? Is it truly an ageless game?

I'm actually eying my N64 right now and thinking about firing up some Zelda just for the nostalgia alone.

2. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    I liked Twilight Princess more.

But then again I think TP is perfect. Even though it isn't. But to me it is.

3. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    Yeah sure, whatever you want.

4. Hammurabi

Hammurabi Jedi Master star 4

Jan 14, 2007
    It's pretty good. Actually, it's about as perfect as video games get. But I still prefer Majora's Mask - a slightly less refined, but far bolder game.

5. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    I would have been the perfect game if the bosses were OH MY GOSH difficult instead of *yawn* 'All too easy' :(

Although the boss fights are awesomely epic.

6. Axle-Starweilder

Axle-Starweilder Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 6, 2005
    ocarina of time sucked.

7. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Ocarina of Time was never the greatest, so how can it still be?

A Link to the Past is still superior in many ways to Ocarina of Time.

8. Axle-Starweilder

Axle-Starweilder Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 6, 2005
    i totally agree with inty.
    even though i know you guys are trying to be talking about oot being a big pioneer in the world of 3d games and how we should all be greatful and everything.

9. roxez

roxez Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 13, 2007
    So Super Mario 64, bringing the full 3D interactive world into the mainstream, and being the building block to make OoT is just "meh"?

10. Handmaiden Yané

Handmaiden Yané Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2002
    I agree with the title of this thread.

11. Darth_Omega

May 19, 2002
    LttP is only superior in music and that's it. :)

12. The_Chim

The_Chim Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 2001
    If games now-a-days didn't focus everything on graphics, and graphics alone, then they could probably spend more time on a game that had better than piss-poor gameplay. Plus the fact that you almost have to break the bank to play any of them now, and for why? Again pretty colors and piss poor gameplay.

The N64 Generation is different, games like OoT, SM64, and Shadows of the Empire were amazing because that had real SUBSTANCE. :eek: Even on PS1, games like Metal gear Solid set the standard for quality of that time. That is an amazing game, I love it. Since then very few games have come out that rival any of them in that category, and those oldies even looked good while delivering their great game play too. Oh where oh where have those days gone? I would rather have decent looking graphics and AMAZING game play then what we have now, which is probably the reason I still play so many old school games...

13. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I still feel ALTTP was both a better game and slightly more revolutionary for the game mechanics it implemented, however OOT does come close in that it's 3D mechanics were the basis for much of what is now. However, people often ignore than OOT borrowed/copied heavily from ALTTP- so it does lose some points for unoriginality/essentially being a 3D remake of an existing game.

However, OOT is still totally playable and solid.

14. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    OOT was, and is, an amazing game.

15. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002

It's pretty much accepted that OoT was the greatest Zelda title of all time, despite the fact--or perhaps because--it borrowed from previous titles and effectively translated them into a 3D realm.

Regarding Twilight Princess, I loved the gameplay but I felt like the the entire story was very lackluster.

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I wouldn't say "pretty much accepted". It's a popular belief, but so is the one championing ALTTP. That such debates usually come down to a discussion over which of those two are actually better, in favor of anything else, only raises their worth.

17. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002

I guess, except that I hear/read about OoT being praised as the greatest in the real world, in magazines, and Internet articles, etc. Whereas I only hear about the ALTTP argument from this site. :p

18. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    [image=http://www.duelinganalogs.com/comics/2007-06-20.png]

hahahah

19. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    Win

20. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    A Link to The Past FTW!

21. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    Was ALTTP featured on that Game Cube collector's disc?

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    That's because too many people prefer to ignore anything released beore 1996 since the graphics aren't "as good" as their arbitrary minimum requirements. "The 2D game can't be better than the 3D game- it's a 3D game!". (Castlevania being a generally ignored anomaly in their view. ;) )

Or, even worse, they feel they can't sell that to their readership, who they believe hold such beliefs.

23. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    No, it only featured the NES and N64 Zeldas.

24. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    QFT. FFVI is pretty much the only pre-3d game that gets acknowledged as anything other than "old skool gamerz", and even that is rare.

25. Darth_Omega

May 19, 2002
    Did you hear that? That's the sound of an elitist, snobbish and bitter fan. He'll do anything to try and prove why LttP is better even though it isn't. He'll also ignore the fact that game review magazines, who reviewed both games, always rated OoT higher. So how do we handle such strange creatures? We can debate with them, but debating with them is just a waste of time (we're talking about the same guy who always insisted that LttP comes before TWW in the Zelda timeline debates).
    We can always put them in a looney bin along with those who think Super Mario World is the best Mario game (*shudder*) sadly enough that isn't allowed. So I suggest we pretend we agree with them:

You're absolutely right 2ndQuest, LttP had better gameplay, better characters (I really felt for sorry for the old grandma when she called the guards in Kakariko, she had no choice), better story, it had a better side quests like... erm... oh yes collecting the bottles, so yeah it had better side quests, it had better gameplay, while playing LttP you always have this epic feeling which you never have with OoT. As you said LttP is the best Zelda game, and even though Chrono Trigger is so much better its also the best SNES game.

[:D] :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.