main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Zelda: Ocarina of Time - Still the Greatest in This Day and Age?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Valyn, Jan 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    No, YOU'RE right. Newer does generally equal better. Bringing Up Baby doesn't appear on many "top romantic comedy" lists these days not because it's a black-and-white film from the 30s which is generally too old for target demographics to be interested in, but because it's simply not as good as movies like My Best Friend's Wedding.

Anyone who prefers some older things to some newer things and says that best-of lists are skewed towards the recent MUST be an elitist. But then, how come you didn't call out the guy who said that N64-era games are better than modern games?

2. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    Because I actually don't have any preference when it comes 2D vs 3D nor older graphics vs newer graphics. Your post although nice, is aimed at the wrong person. Good try though. [:D]

3. roxez

roxez Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 13, 2007
    Why is VI afraid of VII?

Because VII is followed my a million rabid fanboys who hate VI simply because it is "teh 2-D"!!!

While I think OoT is great, on my top ten for greatest games of all time, I agree with Quest: I like LttP better. I can't explain why, I just do.

That's okay though. Quest and I are simply from the "Nintendo" generation, not the "Playstation" generation.

Both of which are better than the "XBox" generation :p

4. Ogmios22188

Ogmios22188 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 12, 2004
    Well, Ocarina of Time is still the highest-rated game of all time, so, I guess the answer is yes.

5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    No, they didn't include it as it had recently been rereleased on the GBA and they didn't want to affect sales.

You collect bottles in both games :p

I think the tone of previous post may have been misinterpreted- it was meant to be half-joking, as I do feel there is an element along those lines at play in general (especially when you see so much focus on the graphics element of gaming over the past 5 or 6 years); however, I don't think that's really the case with the OOT/ALTTP situation (though I do think more gamers have only had the opportunity to play OOT between the two may play a factor as well [we've seen lots of people mention they just never had access to the game]- especially as there's now a generation of gamers who never had the chance to play anything that predated the N64).

Both OOT & ALTTP have their strengths and weakness compared to the other in terms of which is the better overall game- it's why the debate exists in the first place. I can understand why someone would select either one of those as the better game, same goes for game review magazines.

ALTTP:
    -Introduced dual-world game mechanics, which 4 Zelda games (OOT and TP, most notably) and several others (including a Metroid game), have implemented as a fundamental game design component.
    -Established game structure pattern of nearly every Zelda game that followed it (most commonly the 3-dungeons, then get Master Sword, then 7 dungeons/items to reach Ganon structure), including OOT.
    -Established the storyline of the Zelda series, in particular OOT.
    -Better music, though this is a debatable topic in of itself.
    -Slightly less linear in design.

OOT:
    -Introduced Z-trigger lock, a staple of several 3D genres (mostly 3rd person action/adventure titles, but also 1st person titles like Metroid Prime) control schemes.
    -Better characters & dialogue. Definitely a more cinematic element provided by the 3D nature of the game.

So they're mostly even at that point, OOT getting points for further innovation which are ironically negated by losing points for some lack of originality (outside of the understandable structure of being a fleshed out telling of the ALTTP prologue).

From that point things are debatable, and where your opinion falls in those areas are likely to determine where you fall in the OOT/ALTTP comparison: story, atmosphere, pacing, boss fights, etc. One can make a solid argument for either game in these categories, but there's not gonna be a clear consensus.
    Do you prefer the "stopping a returning ancient evil from being let loose from it's prison" basis of ALTTP's story, or the "stopping a rising evil from being victorious" basis of OOT?
    Do you prefer the more woodsy, creepier, darke

6. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    Or you could have said "Yes, it is a good game. I agree."

7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I could have, but then you wouldn't have been able to post that sarcastic comment. And I'm always thinking of your needs.

8. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    I'm pretty sure Wand of Gamelon is the greatest game of all-time.

9. Darth_Omega

May 19, 2002
    I forgive you :p [:D]

Yeh I was only half seriously ;) I also misquoted the wrong post, I do think lots of new gamers don't want to play 2D games because of the graphics but I really don't think that's the reason why OoT is more popular then LttP (considering OoT graphics are horrible by today's standards).

As for the rest of your post I disagree and agree with some parts, can't be bothered to specify which part. :p

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Status quo restored. [:D]

11. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
    Surely, you agree with me.

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    No one agrees with you.

13. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    nothing will ever top galaga.

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    [image=http://www.gothicrevue.com/Ikaruga.jpg]

15. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    that game is too hard. with galaga i can get to like level thirty and feel awesome about myself.

16. Darth_Omega

May 19, 2002
    :p

17. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    I'm actually quite fond of agreeing with Boba. I find that he gives treats.

18. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Dec 17, 2000
    I play Galaga wherever I see it. Just a quarter at a time, then I've had my fix. But I've been known to walk away in the middle of conversations if I see a Galaga machine.

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    You can then play Wand of Gamelon instead of any other or upcoming Zelda title ;)

20. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    So long as I get Boba treats

21. Boba_Fett_2001

Dec 11, 2000
    Treats are in effect.

22. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Dec 17, 2000
    No, it was quite correctly aimed at the person who cried elitist at someone for noting a real media preference for whatever's more recent while ignoring someone else who actually did express a disdain for modern gaming.

23. Darth_Omega

May 19, 2002
    I thought we restored the status quo? :(

24. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    Oh, you could play Galaga with chalk on the sidewalk, and it would still be fun. Words cannot describe the joy I feel when I come upon a sit-down Galaga machine in a bar. The quarters levitate from my pocket on their own.

I love Galaga, but it ain't got nothing on Berserk.

You run through a maze. You touch the walls, you die. Robot shoot you, you die. Big smiley face touch you, you die. And when you die, the last thing you hear as you pass on are robotic voices, mocking you.

Whenever I see some emo-nihilist MySpace page, I think, "They got nothing on Berserk." The robots WILL kill us. Believe it.

25. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    [image=http://fc03.deviantart.com/fs24/f/2008/021/f/6/Sheik_Motivational_by_Sheikah_ness.jpg]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.