main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Zeltron (and possibly other near-human) Skywalkers...

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ghost, Oct 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003

With Cade Skywalker sleeping around with a good number of people just on the page so far (Deliah, Azlyn, Darth Talon), there's a good possibility that Deliah (or some other near-human) could get pregnant with a Skywalker baby for the next generation.

For all we know, there are already a dozen unknown Skywalkers scattered across the galaxy.

But even putting that aside, if Deliah were to get pregnant, would we the audience be willing to accept a near-human Skywalker? Could we accept future Skywalkers being Zeltrons? Or some other near-human species?

I mean, we haven't even seen any Skywalkers that aren't white European humans. We haven't seen any black Skywalkers or asian Skywalkers. For some reason, that seems taboo.

So could readers really accept the future Skywalkers being Zeltron, and not even 100% human?

Even though Zeltrons are (or at least appear to be) just another (fictional) ethnicity within humanity? (I never understood why so many near-human species aren't considered human, but "near human," but that's a whole other topic).

2. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Hmm... you make an interesting point about black Skywalkers. In theory, couldn't Nat and Droo have a kid one day if Nat got his self-family-loathing out of his system and decided to have children of his own?

I'd never thought about the ethnic element before, probably simply because I don't tend to really dwell on whether someone is white or black, but now that you mention it it would indeed make for an interesting OOU cultural talking point, which would be in keeping with Legacy's general aim to diversify Star Wars. I'm rather surprised actually that the series hasn't gone down that route by giving Cade a half-Kiffar cousin.

3. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    It seems a bit taboo though. I think there was a bit of a backlash when it was suggested Mara might be asian. (there hardly seems to be any asians in Star Wars, period. Never mind arabic, native american, indian, latino, etc. ethnicities.)

As for Nat, I have a feeling that he doesn't want biological kids because he doesn't want to pass on the Skywalker burden/legacy to them. Which is very understandable.

4. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    How would depicting non white Skywalkers be taboo?

A Skywalker is a Skywalker is a Skywalker. Who cares what color they are? It's inevitable that the bloodline gets more and more diluted until literally thousands of people or "near" people can trace their roots to Anakin Skywalker. I think the only rule would be that a Skywalker would have to be humanoid.

For the record, I'd hate for a Cade love child to show up in Legacy. It's too much like a fifth season sit-com grasp for ratings.

5. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    The fact some people might consider it "taboo" is actually why I'm surprised it hasn't happened. Legacy has generally tried to present a more, I use the word loosely, "modern" image of Star Wars, so it's interesting that they didn't choose for Nat to have a half-Kiffar son/daughter. Not that I dislike his decision to not have kids or anything, as it's made him a very interesting character nevertheless.

Of course, there's still time should Cade pick his life up, the Sith be defeated, and Nat one day decide his offspring need not necessarily be cursed.

Though admittedly he and Droo aren't exactly getting any younger.

6. Xicer

Xicer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 2008
    Forget Zeltrons, everyone knows that a Calrissian-Skywalker mating is the perfect recipe for a Kwisatz Haderach.

7. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Droo already has one child(not counting the two she and Nat adopted), that seems to be in her teens, so she might be nearing the end of her child bearing years, not counting that the gffa has better medical tech than we do. Nat may have had a few flings in his younger days that we know nothing about, so we can't count anything out.

I was just about to mention something about a Calrissian-Skywalker/Solo bloodline pairing, but that would be too awesome.

8. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I'd love to see a mixed-species Skywalker. However, I wouldn't want it to be the exclusive means for carrying on the line, because I think there's something important about maintaining that link to Luke. The same way I really want to see a brunette Skywalker, and a Skywalker girl -- but I don't want to see all brunette Skywalkers, and all Skywalker girls. Because you've got to maintain that visual, symbolic tie. It's the same reason I wouldn't want Lando to have all pale descendants, and that I'm kind of disappointed Wedge's kids are both girls -- the name, that powerful symbol, is going away. It's all about symbolism, and how the power of tradition has to be balanced with breaking tradition occasionally. The exceptions don't work as the norm.

9. xx_Anakin_xx

xx_Anakin_xx Jedi Master star 4

Jan 9, 2008
    Wedge's kids and...Han's kid...all girls. Some great 'Legacies' being flushed out I would agree. I think mixed Skywalkers of varied races and species would be cool. We had Leia, but more sister and brother combos would be nice - although I agree you have to keep the name going on in the progeny. I still have hope that Wedge might have a son - and Han & Leia, or perhaps Jacen unknowingly had a son during his travels. The names we have seen do create a great tie to the past in future series. I'm still wondering what has become of Quinlan's son...

10. Quinnocent-Till-Sith

Quinnocent-Till-Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 21, 2004
    [image=http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/thumb/0/0d/RawkFamily.JPG/600px-RawkFamily.JPG]

11. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    [face_laugh]

Not exactly what he meant, but they are in the family, but without the skywalker blood.

12. Jedi_Trance

Jedi_Trance Jedi Youngling

Oct 25, 2008
    To be honest, I thought Skeeto was Nat and Droo's kid (he's got the coloring for it) until - was it an Insider article? - said he was adopted. Like others have said, I think it would be awesome if Legacy broke out of the White Human Skywalker mold while still maintaining ties to its heritage. :cool:

13. Ki-Aaron-Mundi

Ki-Aaron-Mundi Jedi Knight star 2

May 22, 2008
    Just give Allana and Chance a couple decades. ;)

14. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    Oddly enough, for many years I for some reason imagined Mara as a latina.

15. Liliedhe

Liliedhe Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 22, 2009
    What the hey? A Legacy dies without a son? Do you realize how incredibly offensive this is? First of all, even if you wanted to attach the Legacy to the name, where is it written that a name has to die with a girl? The days of women having to give up their names when they marry are past on earth, and might never have existed in the GFFA...

And then, a Legacy is a lot more than just a name or a title, and to say girls can't keep them up is like saying girls are only good for breeding, but can't carry a personality, a value, a tradition of their own.

Nomi Sunrider may have taken her husband's name, but any Sunrider legacy is HERS, not his. When Vima da Boda claims the Sunrider Legacy, she does through Nomi's daughter. Bastila Shan also has a Legacy in her own right, passed three hundred years later to another female, Satele. Allana is just as special as she would be if she was a boy, and she is even carrying on the name of Anakin in hers, as well as the special relationship to the force. Star Wars has lots of examples of Legacies being created and passed on by women and girls.

Doesn't look like the GFFA is subscribing to Salic inheritance law, right? And one should have hoped Earth stopped thinking like that in this century, too...

16. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Meh. Personally, I don't want any legacies. None of the heroes of the Clone Wars are the kids of any other great heroes, as the Pre-Movie stories usually avoid this too. Personally, i think part of the point of Star Wars is that someone can rise from nothing to achieve greatness.

Now, that aside, I do like the idea of a non-human skywalker...but then, since I consider adopted children to be just as important as birth children, there already is on as far as I am concerned.

17. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    That's the single scariest panel I have ever seen in my life. What in God's name is the kid doing down the front. Really? It's a legitimate question.

18. rumsmuggler

Aug 31, 2000
    Posing for the holocam..:D

19. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I think he's sitting on the edge of the pool.

20. Cash_Fendar

Cash_Fendar Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 1, 2009
    LANDO SKYWALKER!!!!!

21. Liliedhe

Liliedhe Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 22, 2009
    Well, if I go by the sentiments expressed in this article, all Skywalkers starting with Luke and Leia are mixed race anyway. ^^

So, moot point here.

22. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    Bantha is hardly a Skywalker, is he? He barely has the name and he barely fits the job description. In mythical stories, names tend to be titles rather than "stuff that happens".

I also have to admit that I'm quite picky when it comes to species in SW simply because of the visual aspect (and I think judging SW aliens by their looks doesn't count as racism at all). I'm not too keen on making Kol's padawan/Cade's master a Zabrak, because I find Zabrak very boring, visually speaking. I don't get the idea behind Zeltrons because I wasn't there when the Marvel comics were published. I think Twi'Lek are overdone. I also don't like the idea of Plagueis being a Muun, because again, too boring. I'm also not too keen on promoting the Togruta (sp?) species through Ahsoka, because she doesn't mesh that well with the visuals of the characters around her. And I know that many people react to the visual ideas in similar ways - best example: Jaden Korr. So they've chosen a species for him, but there's been vocal fans for every option.

Then again, the whole SW saga only starts once (with virgin birth Anakin) and then continues its second trilogy with those who live with their parents' legacy. There's new side characters, I'll give you that (Han being the most prominent one). The core part of the EU - Luke's story - is just a continuation of that. The Skywalker family almanach.

The original concept of the EU is "happily ever after with superweapons", so it would have been strange if nobody had kids. This, of course, turned into the concept of a flawless timeline, which means that there would never be a break that would allow to change the focus of the story (and, as we all know, the majority wouldn't want to read about nobody Finn who only knew the Skywalker clan from school).

Legacy is ironically the first EU concept that allows for breaking up with the legacy idea as you jump away from the direct family line to something later on. And of course it doesn't break with the Skywalker concept too much - the main character still has blonde hair and still has the basic capabilities of being a Jedi. Recognition is everything.

Adoption would open up good new possibilities in that regard, but as much as I support your personal opinion, we have to ask ourselves for the mythical dimension of an adoption in this particular fictional story. Would it work? The general public would never see a Zabrak or a Zeltron as a person that's related to that one movie hero. If it comes to myth, recognition is also everything.

23. Tricky

Tricky Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    Lando & Leia...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.