main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

zeltron hall costume help

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by PadawanRoo, Jan 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PadawanRoo

PadawanRoo Jedi Master star 1

Aug 7, 2003
    hey, everyone.
    I'm working out my hall costume for Balticon, and I'm thinking of going as a Zeltron (mostly as an excuse to screw around with pink bodypaint).
    Current issues are these:

1. Zeltrons have little spikey things coming out of their shoulders. Still haven't figured out how I'm doing these, but it shouldn't be terribly difficult.

The real problem this presents is with the outfit. It's looking like I'll be in the LARP as a jedi Padawan, so I need a haltar top outfit that still has sort of a jedi feel. I've got some designs that essentially use the jedi tabards/stola and obi with no tunic under them, but this shows a little more skin than I'm comfortable with (as in, it doesn't even cover my chest adequately). I can't just throw a leotard on under it because of the shoulder prosthetics. any suggestions here? I know there's a lot of veriety in clone wars-era jedi outfits, but I want something with a classic feel to it. Fabric choices can get me most of the way there, but just a khadi haltar or tube top isn't going to cut it. Any ideas or advice in this department would be appreciated.

2. Does anyone have any idea what color Zeltron hair is? I've heard everything from purple to white to black, and can't seem to find confirmation for any of them.

3. Does anyone have suggestions on bodypaint brands that don't stain skin? I may have work that monday, and my supervisors won't be terribly amused if I come in looking like a mutant tanning booth reject.

I've only been costuming for about two years now, so I'm relatively new, but I can handle most sewing projects that aren't exorberantly complicated. This will be my first real forray into a costume driven by its makeup and prosthetics, and my second conn costume contest.

I'd appreciate any suggestions from anyone willing to offer advice. Thanks in advance-- I'm really hoping this will come out looking stellar.
    ~Roo

2. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 23, 2000
    Ooo.. a Zeltron. Cool.

Have you checked the new RPG Alien guide yet? I'm seeming to remember a picture of them in there....

3. Jayne

Jayne Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 16, 2002
    *sigh* I know you said no leotard, but I honestly think that'll be the best way to go. If you plan it before you make the costume you can build the shoulder pieces into the leotard, and cut holes out or summat. You could do a nude one (pink in this case) or have it a light creamish color. Otherwise I guess it would depend on the bottom and accessories. A lot of metal and dark colors would look cool with a tank-like top with buckles down the side instead of a seam. A person with less attitude would do better with lacing (kinda like the back of Trinity's Matrix Revolutions costume). Something a little more ethnic may be appropriate, too. Maybe you could post a little more about what you have planned and the attitude you want to project, and maybe a pic of the alien, and we can give more specific advice . . . and, if you want to chat more about some of the stuff I said, feel free to pm me.

4. KissSpooky

KissSpooky Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 2, 2002
    Hi there,

Neat idea going with a Zeltron, nice to see someone trying something a little different...as to your questions:

1. Zeltrons have little spikey things coming out of their shoulders. Still haven't figured out how I'm doing these, but it shouldn't be terribly difficult.
    Yeah, this should be really easy, just some little appliances and some spirit gum should likely do the trick. Maybe check out a local costume place for ideas, if you have one nearby...

The real problem this presents is with the outfit. It's looking like I'll be in the LARP as a jedi Padawan, so I need a haltar top outfit that still has sort of a jedi feel. I've got some designs that essentially use the jedi tabards/stola and obi with no tunic under them...(cut for space, you know what you said ;) )
    Why not go with the more classic design, but remove the sleeves from the tunics, so as to have a tanktop-style idea? (I can show pictures later on to give you an idea what I mean, it you like) If you needed something on your arms, you could always go with some sort of fabric wrap on your forearms (they do that in comics and anime, though I'm not sure how practical, or even how well it would look, in actual practice).

2. Does anyone have any idea what color Zeltron hair is? I've heard everything from purple to white to black, and can't seem to find confirmation for any of them.
    Hearing several different colours could simply mean Zeltron's can have a variety of hair colours, just like humans. From what I've read and seen, I'd say a dark purple or black would be common, and seem to make sense, IMHO...

3. Does anyone have suggestions on bodypaint brands that don't stain skin? I may have work that monday, and my supervisors won't be terribly amused if I come in looking like a mutant tanning booth reject.
    This one I'm not so sure of, and am going to have to suggest the costume shop again...I would think a clown-style cake makeup could work, though I'm sure you'd need to mix colours and experiment to find the right shade, as I doubt the perfect Zeltron skin shade exists right out of the bottle...

Just a few thoughts, hope they help some :)....

5. PadawanRoo

PadawanRoo Jedi Master star 1

Aug 7, 2003
    Thanks so much for the advice.

Jayne, Modifying a leotard's actually a really good idea- thanks for thinking of it. It wouldn't be a terribly difficult project, especially if I can find one with raglan sleeves.

The dark accessories would be a nice way to set off the pink, for certain. I'm thinking I'll have to dye the Khadi either white or black- the khaki color is really going to clash with the makeup. Black might be a good way to go.
    I'm not really sure where the character's headed- I probably won't know until I get there and they give me my envelope. I know she's a padawan, so whatever attitude she projects, it's probably going to be underscored by a healthy dose of naivete. Zeltrons are an affable people, often described as hedonistic for their love of all things party. They can get quite serious about their grudges, but for the most part, anyone who looks like fun is their kind of people.

The picture that accompanies the Zeltron entry in the "Essential guide to alien species"
    ([image=http://members.aol.com/mhx1138/web/images/rkp-zeltron.GIF]) and other illustrations I've found show a propensity for the tight and the revealing, so I was thinking of going with a pair of lycra pants tucked into knee-high boots. I can take care of the belt by hanging it a little lower than the standard Jedi outfit- around my hips rather than my waist- it's just the top that continues to baffle me.

Thanks, Spooky, for the sleeve suggestion, too. I might be able to do something with detached sleeves or ballgown gloves.
    ~Roo

6. Jayne

Jayne Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 16, 2002
    Maybe for a party girl you could try shiny, satin or pleather fabrics? I'd think leather and studs would give off the wrong image. Also, maybe watching the club scene from Attack of the Clones would give you some more ideas. That's chock full of Lucas' Star Wars party gear.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.