main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Zenda'la, A Luke and Mara Story (NJO era)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by RebelMom, Jun 4, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    Instead of being a responsible adult and writing my lesson plan for the week and preparing for preschool graduation, I wrote. I was going to wait but I just felt compelled to write. I was encouraged by the responses to Joy to Sorrow. This is Fun. (Lurkers search for the on/off switch. Who let 3PO in here?)
    Anyway, here is the first installment. Positive feedback always encouraged.

Zenda'la

Outside the cockpit window, Luke could see the thin lines of hyperspace. Artoo had just roused him from a hibernation trance. Shaking his head a little to clear the drowsiness, he glanced at the screen in front of him. Time to revert to real space. 5, 4, 3, 2, 1. The lines disappeared, replaced by the blackness of space and twinkling stars. In front of him lay his destination: Zenda'la.

Nothing was known about the planet, including its existence, until 1 standard month ago. A pirated transmission had come over the holonet. It was addressed to Leia Organa Solo, Chief of State, its originator obviously not receiving current information. It was a plea to join the New Republic, albeit, not an official one. There was no signature, seal or holo.
    It read: To the Honorable Leia Organa Solo, Chief of State, Coruscant,
    Esteemed Madam, The citizens of the Planet of Zenda'la wish to align with the New Republic. Send a recognizable representative to the coordinates attached.

Luke remembered the day Leia contacted him. He and Mara were resting at their apartment on Coruscant. The comm buzzed and Luke reached over the sleeping Mara to grab it. He rolled onto his back; Mara still cradled in the crook of his arm.

"Skywalker," he stated groggily.

"Sorry to bother you so early Luke but this is important," Leia said with an air of concern.

Luke became alert at the sound of her voice. "What's wrong?"

Leia paused before continuing. " There is a mission that needs to be done. You are the best candidate. Meet me at NRI headquarters in one hour."

Before Luke could acknowledge, Leia had cut the transmission. Odd. Mara rolled over and hugged Luke. She trailed the fingers of her right hand lightly along Luke's left arm and snatched the comm link he was still holding.

Her green eyes sparkled as her lips parted into a smile. Then the comm link was unceremoniously dropped off the side of the bed. "She said one hour."

Luke smiled back, moving towards the edge of the bed "Then I had better get dressed."

Mara grabbed him back towards her. Caressing his face with her right hand, she whispered, "No. She said one hour."

Luke reached his left hand to stroke her face. "I love you."

He kissed her then pulled the covers over their heads.

**More to come later**

[This message has been edited by RebelMom (edited 06-04-2000).]

[This message has been edited by RebelMom (edited 06-07-2000).]

2. jedi jaffacake

jedi jaffacake Jedi Youngling star 1

May 12, 2000
    Ooh, smut!
    Good beginning. I know what you mean about writing when there are more 'important' things to be done (ie studying for exams on Thursday), but like you said, writing's just more fun!
    I really liked 'Joy to Sorrow' as well. Keep it up!

3. Knight Obi Wan

Knight Obi Wan Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 17, 1999
    hehe, I think we're all guilty of neglecting important things in our lives for writing Nice to know you're never alone huh? Please keep this one up!! There aren't enough good Luke and Mara stories.

4. womp_rat208

womp_rat208 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 1999
    Yeah, I should be studying for my finals, but I'm reading stories here and working on my Luke 'n Mara story. Great start! I have no idea where this is going. But then again, I don't know where my story is going, so... Keep it up!

5. RebelMom

Apr 20, 2000
    Well, I did the responsible adult thing and planned my lessons for the week. It is not a good idea to go into a room full of 2, 3, and 4 year olds without some vestige of a plan.

I do not write smut Jedi Jaffacake. I think it is closer to innuendo. I like my readers to use their imagination. I mean really, Luke and Mara could be doing something else under the covers. It could be... or they could be talking about... or maybe...

Luckily I do have a fairly firm idea of where I am going. But I'm not going to tell you Nah, nah.

I've got several posts waiting. I think I post tomorrow. Maybe.

6. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    What are they doing under the covers? It's obvious they're having a private parcheesi tournament...

7. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva,Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RebelMom:
    I mean really, Luke and Mara could be doing something else under the covers. It could be... or they could be talking about... or maybe...
    Luckily I do have a fairly firm idea of where I am going. But I'm not going to tell you Nah, nah. I've got several posts waiting. I think I post tomorrow. Maybe.

They were drinking hot chocolate
    Please continue!!! I just found this story.

8. maramijade

maramijade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 17, 2000
    oooohhhh very nice with luke and mara right now, (hehehe i can right all i want final exams are over it SUMERTIME!!!!!) Sorry about that little out burst ::regains composure::
    Oh this remindsme so far of my fan fic, I'm interested in posting it at my friends and my fan fic center!!!

Mara Jade/ Tenoh Haruka fan fic Center http://members.aol.com//Michiru511//Center.html http://members.aol.com//Michiru511//Center.html

I love it so far keep it up!!!

9. I love Sci Fi

I love Sci Fi Jedi Master star 4

Jan 21, 2000
    GOOD VERY VERY GOOD. This is awesome. Keep it up.

So do your pre-schoolers know you have been neglecting their lessons so you can write fan fics? hehehe

10. Ulberymay

Ulberymay Jedi Youngling

Jun 5, 2000
    under the covers drinking hot chocolate! lol, jedi liz, that's what i was thinking about!

11. RebelMom

Apr 20, 2000
    I have today's installment ready to go.
    P.S. to I Love SciFi: My preschoolers are quite forgiving. I took them out to catch caterpillers and ladybugs; they are very happy now.

Zenda'la

Artoo's beeping pulled Luke out of his reverie. He looked at his screen. A ship was approaching. It had no noticeable weaponry but his all too familiar danger sense was tingling. "Artoo, scan for weapons."

The screen registered negative. What was the danger? A high pitched static filled his cockpit. Luke winced as he reached to turn the volume down. A metallic voice echoed over the speakers. " Unidentified ship. Announce your affiliation and state your business."

Luke responded, "New Republic. I'm on a diplomatic mission."

Another beep from Artoo. No lifeforms aboard ship, Luke read. 'Great. No sentient being to reason with.'

"The New Republic is not recognized in this sector. Our scans register your ship as hostile. Retreat now or suffer the consequences," the metallic voice stated.

Before he could respond, the other ship changed course and headed back to the planet. His danger sense was going full bore but nothing was visible. " Artoo, prepare to go evasive."

A blip from Artoo indicated his readiness. Suddenly, Luke slammed the stick forward propelling the XJ-Wing out of the path of high-energy beam that came from the planet. 'That was too close.' The beams increased in multitude. It took all of Luke's piloting skills to avoid hits. Each of his maneuvers brought him closer to the planet. Soon, there were too many beams for him to evade. A beam hit his port side engine. He temporarily lost control of his descent. His ship began to skip upon Zenda'la's atmosphere. The hull was heating up. The temperature was rising and his vision was blurring from the sweat dripping from his brow. He needed to get through the atmosphere now or he would be toast, literally. "Artoo, help me get this pointed down..." Luke grimaced. He was losing consciousness. Artoo was beeping frantically. "Artoooo..." Luke's voice trailed off as he fainted.

to be continued....

12. RebelMom

Apr 20, 2000
    Me again. I wanted to put up a link to my other story, Joy to Sorrow Forum16/HTML/000922.htmlwww.theforce.net/forum/Forum16/HTML/000922.html

13. Neon Star

Neon Star Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 30, 2000
    This is a really great story, RebelMom!

14. Neon Star

Mar 30, 2000
  15. Knight Obi Wan

Knight Obi Wan Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 17, 1999
    ok, Luke, listen. We all know you're used to you being the only person in your life, but you have a wife now that needs you in one piece and I doubt she wants to go traipsing after you so QUIT GETTING IN TROUBLE!! More please

16. I love Sci Fi

I love Sci Fi Jedi Master star 4

Jan 21, 2000
    rats thought I already posted in here redface.gif anyway.....That was very cool.
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Geneva,Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> OK,Luke,listen.We all know you're used to you being the only person in your life, but you have a wife now that needs you in one piece and I doubt she wants to go traipsing after you so QUIT GETTING IN TROUBLE!!
    LOL that is so right. how is Luke going to get out of this one.

17. RebelMom

Apr 20, 2000
    Sorry, I wasn't able to post last night. Preschool graduation kept me busy. (They were so cute in their bee and flower costumes)

Didn't you know that it was Luke's destiny to be in trouble?

Zenda'la

As Luke and Mara walked to the NRI building, he wondered what would require his help. The Vong had been his priority lately. And why was Leia so blunt. She was definitely distracted by something. Mara squeezed his hand and said, "We'll find out soon. We're there."

The office was abuzz with conversation. Operatives had been busy since the Vong had appeared. The reports from Luke's Jedi were being followed up. NRI took any help it could get. Thus, any chance to gain a new ally against the threat was pursued. Therefore, this mysterious message was being taken seriously. During the short meeting, the Director revealed his reasoning for choosing Luke. "It's out past the Unknown Regions. Since you've been in that area before you are the best choice."

"But I am not a diplomat."

"You will be fine, Luke. As a Jedi Master, you have had to do a lot of negotiation and mediation. You've had enough training from me to get the gist of it," said Leia. "Besides, you are good at the unknown. You're too curious to pass this up. I can feel it."

Yep, Leia could read him alright. He was curious; he was dying to go. But he was also more cautious these days, especially since Mara's illness. Sure, she could handle it but he really did not want to be away from her. Maybe she could come...

Mara answered his silent reasoning. " I cannot go with you. I've already scheduled time with Jaina for some evaluations. Since she joined Rogue Squadron, her time is swallowed up with simulations and training. I was lucky to get this time." Silently she added, 'Don't worry. I'll be fine.'

Luke nodded in resignation. "Alright, I'll go."

The Director smiled and said, "Good. Here is the information you'll need." He passed a data pad to Luke then shook his hand. "May the Force be with you."

Luke, Mara and Leia left together. After a quick lunch, Leia got up to leave. Luke grabbed her hand and looked into her eyes. Ever since he had first seen her, he could recognize the strength of her soul. She was still supported by that strength but there was a chink in her armor. He could see the sadness surrounding her, threatening to overwhelm her. "It's Han," he stated.

Leia just nodded. Tears were welling up in her eyes. Luke hugged her tightly, stroking her hair as he would to calm a child, and whispered into her ear. "He will get through this. He is strong. Like you. Just give him time."

She squeezed him back. She blinked her eyes. Tears fell upon Luke's neck. She stepped back holding only his hands now. "Thank you. I love you."

Shakily, she turned to Mara. "Thank you, Mara. I appreciate all you have done for us. For me."

Mara gently reached for Leia's hands. "No problem. What are family for."

Another hug and Leia was gone.

That evening was quiet. Luke had packed and was ready for departure in the morning. He snuggled up to Mara and fell into a blissful sleep.

*to be continued*

18. Luke'sryb

Luke'sryb Jedi Youngling star 2

May 17, 2000
    What are you doing? First, the last installment, had Luke losing consciousness then suddenly you add another version of the beginning installment. Can we have the next one where Luke pulls out of his death dive?
    confused.gif

19. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    i think i know what Rebel Mom is doing...she's doing a flashback to before Luke left to fill in the middle of the story.

Keep it coming, RebelMom

20. Darth Pipes

Darth Pipes Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 12, 1999
    Good story RebalMom!

21. RebelMom

Apr 20, 2000
    I think I'll add the next installment. Then I'm going to finish reading Ruin.

Zenda'la

"Mara, is something wrong with the environment controls? I'm roasting," Luke mumbled as he opened his eyes. 'Wait, where am I?' Artoo beeped and a message scrolled onto the screen. Ship stabilized. Making steady descent towards landing coordinates . A dazed Luke exclaimed, "Landing coordinates? What landing coordinates?"

Landing coordinates were transmitted while you were unconscious.

" Who sent them?"

The citizens of Zenda'la.

'Well, at least somebody is friendly here.'

"Okay Artoo, I'll take over. I'm fine."

Luke grabbed the stick and continued his descent. It was then that he noticed the charred look of his ship. He swung his head around to glance at Artoo. The little droid was also charred. Definitely a close call. Luke was nearing the landing zone when the tingling began again. 'Great, what now?'

A small airship buzzed over the top of Luke. It was unlike any ship Luke had ever seen. The fuselage was shaped like a cylinder; it had wings sort of like a mynock but double layered. Attached to the wings was something that looked like stormtrooper blasters. Luke's mouth fell open in shock when he saw the cockpit. It was open to the atmosphere! The pilot was wearing some type of thin hat that was held under the chin and round goggles like the ones the sandpeople wore. 'How is that thing moving?' "Artoo, shields up. Let's lose this guy."

Artoo beeped acknowledgment. Nothing happened. Uh oh. "Artoo, where are the shields?"

Shields shorted out. Wires were melted from heat. Lasers are inoperable.

Luke groaned. "Well at least I can out fly him. Full Throttle Artoo."

The engine groaned as well. It had also been damaged. Luke's danger sense had increased its intensity. Wonderful! What else could go wrong? Suddenly, the odd flying ship was flying towards him and opened fire. It was not armed with lasers or torpedoes. Luke could hear pinging against his hull. 'What?' Artoo bleated. The hull has been penetrated by some sort of projectile. "Suggestions?"
    I will need to solder the penetrations. "Let's get rid of this guy first. Here he comes again"

The flying machine had looped around and was approaching Luke again. The projectiles came at him once more but Luke was able to evade most of them. As the odd ship flew near him, Luke tilted his ship so that the tip of his XJ-wing knocked into the wings of the other ship. This move sent the other into a spiral. The other pilot could not recover from his spin. Luke saw a white puff leave the ship before it continued its corkscrew and crashed. Now he needed to concentrate on landing his own disabled ship. "Artoo, start the landing cycle."

No answer. Nothing on the screen. Luke chanced a look at Artoo. There were several penetrations in Artoo's dome. The projectiles had hit him. 'Well, I've landed without help before. I guess I can do it again'

Unfortunately, the ship would not respond to any of Luke's commands. He could not return to the landing site. Hopefully, he could bring it down in one piece and hike back.

Back at the landing site, two figures hopped upon speeder bikes and headed in the direction of the lone starship.

*to be continued*

Jedi Liz your insight serves you well

22. RebelMom

Apr 20, 2000
    Okay, I panicked. Nobody is reading anymore. Then I realized that they are probably just reading Ruin like I was. redface.gif
    At least, that is what I hope.

23. Neon Star

Mar 30, 2000
    I am still here and reading, Great story! Please tell me Luke is going to be Ok.

24. Queen_Pixie

Queen_Pixie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 20, 1999
    Yep, still reading Rebelmom, but between packing, reading, writing on my own fic, and the stupid servers going down all the time, I just haven't posted! good job!

25. maramijade

maramijade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 17, 2000
    veeeeerrrryyy interesting

coool so far
    the world is full of tuskians hehehe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.