main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Zenoma Sekot's fate (Very minor FH1 spoiler)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Ben, Feb 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    What is the fate of Zonoma Sekot to be?

Frankly I see it being destroyed in Force Heretic 3, or else DR risk it being seen as The Big Fix at which point everyone'll cry: Deux Ex Machina!

I see it as giving vital knowledge of how to defeat the Vong and the Shamed Ones will be developed, but to keep suspense and the GA / Vong evenly matched until the end ZS will have to join the list of whacked planets.

Could I be right?

Jedi Ben

2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Frankly I see it being destroyed in Force Heretic 3, or else DR risk it being seen as The Big Fix at which point everyone'll cry: Deux Ex Machina!

Well... duh! :)

I don't know how they're going to write their way out of it WITHOUT a deus ex machina unless every bit of Yuuzhan Vong civilization is wiped out except for the Shamed Ones (yes, Kier -- we know you'll be happy with that ;))

3. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    Well, at least zonama sekot was an established continuity link to a story with already established forshadowing of the NJO, where as most deus ex machina ideas are ideas pulled out of thin air.

4. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Very true, Val... and I think it's no surprise that Vergere's theories matched (albeit superficially) the Potentium Heresies that the Magister believed in...

5. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Not always Val, but most of the time yeah.

I'll confess this thread was sparked by Gatherer's on the outcome of the war and got thinking what Dr would need to do to keep suspense until TUF hence this.

Jedi Ben

6. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    "but most of the time yeah."

I think that is what I said;

"where as most deus ex machina ideas are ideas pulled out of thin air."

"Not always Val"

Where in my post did I say "always" ?[face_plain].

7. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    It's not quite a dues ex machina since Zonoma Sekot was introduced a long time ago.

It is a plot device of unusual size.

PDOUS?

8. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Zonama Sekot and Vergere were created long before in the Del Rey talks as foreshadowing for the NJO storyline in preperation for use in the NJO later.

In other words, pre-planned story telling details.

9. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    Yes, but still for it to cause the end of the vong war in two books it has to be a plot device of unusual size.

10. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Ok, but I think both descriptions describe it in better detail with the most accuracy.

11. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    A PPSTD? Come now Valiento. Such vulgar humor isn't very becoming of you.

12. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    well... I can honestly say that the abreviation appeared like that after, abbreviating the description I wrote... It was completely unintentional, and I discovered how it turned out after the fact :p...

13. Vongoid

Vongoid Jedi Youngling star 2

May 5, 2002
    My 0.02 ?:

Zonoma Sekot will become the new homeworld of the shamed ones (and maybe leave the GFFA with them to return to the Yuuzhan Vong galaxy).

Tahiri will die killing Shimrra; this will fulfill Ikrit's prophecy and Anakin's vision because he'll see her through Shimrra's eyes.

14. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Oh, stop engaging in nit-picking Val, I didn't say anything that bad to you!

Right back to the main Q:

Technical definitions notwithstanding, how can DR avoid ZS being accused of being The Big Fix without nuking it as I have reckoned they will do?

Jedi Ben

15. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    At this point I don't think the editors give a damn if the grand finale is a giant cop out.

16. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Once again...

I agree with teh bitter, ex-administration on this issue... :cool:

17. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    Just look at it this way. After Heretic ends we have just two books left.

Assuming that there isn't a sudden sundering of the Vong in a plot device so massive it temporarily blocks out the sun leaving thousands of solar powered pinwheels to grind to a halt, those books would have to concentrate almost completely on military matters to put the Galactic Alliance in a position to win a *credible* victory.

Considering how little the editors and authors in general have cared about military matters I find this unlikely.

(However, considering how quickly the GFFA popped in existence, maybe little things like maintaining credibility aren't at the top of the 'to do' list)

The other possible solution to this is a general shamed ones uprising, however given the number of pages left til the end, the number of threads to tie up and the neccesity of providing some sensible end point(ie. having the new Vong governing body come to some agreement with the Alliance), once again, the focus on the Jedi and their piddly individual missions would almost preclude focusing on the broad strokes happening to bring it to an end.

To put it bluntly, the Vong war is too big.

It has been built up and built up and built up, and now this is the way the NJO ends, this is the way the NJO ends, this is the way the NJO ends, not with a bang but a whimper.

18. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    KNow something farraday? You'll probably be right, I was trying to grant DR the virtue of possessing intelligence. :)

JB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.