main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ZER0 Official Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by BlackenedIce, Jan 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlackenedIce

BlackenedIce Jedi Youngling

Jan 13, 2003
    13 years ago, X-Com created three genetically modified boys. They were to become super-soldiers, to put a stop to the Rebellion and ensure the Empire?s dominance forever.

However, something went wrong.

The genetic data was modified by a treacherous scientist, and the ?Zeroes?, as they were codenamed, became rogues. Once they were all 10 years old, they killed their captors and fled.

They were chased by X-Com?s agents, but none could put a stop to the Zeroes.

That's the story folks. This film focuses mainly on the Zero's "Blaster-Kata", a form of blaster combat that, in one of the Zeroes words,
    "Blaster Kata is a style of combat combining Blasters and the disclipine of lightsabres. It is of course impossible to see an oncoming bolt and dodge it, but an advanced Blasterkata practitioner, can put himself in the least statistically possible place to be hit at each moment of a blaster fight. Blasterkata is based on a scientific analysis of bolt trajectory and range based on the mathematical possible outcomes of a blaster fight."

NO Jedi, NO Sith. One of the Zeroes does use a lightsaber, but only for a brief time.

This fanfilm is going to be based in the Minnesota metro area.

Another focus of this film is going to be slow motion, if we can get it to look nice.

Thoughts? Comments? Rants? Raves?

2. Neszis

Neszis Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2001
    How much do you have filmed? Can we see some screenshots or a website, please?

~Neszis~

3. WhisperingDeath

WhisperingDeath Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2002
    X-Com? As in the american military X-com?

4. Weslen

Weslen Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 10, 2002
    Man, X-Com.... anyone remember those games by Microprose? Talk about addiction!

5. LAstyle

LAstyle Jedi Youngling

Dec 30, 2002
    Sounds kinda like the Dark Angel plot, with X-COM being Manticore, and the "zeros" are the transgenics.

6. Wookie Pnub

Wookie Pnub Jedi Master star 1

May 24, 2000
    I was thinking the same thing...sounds a lot like the X5s from Dark Angel.

...even down to the "escaped at age 10" point.

7. BlackenedIce

Jan 13, 2003
    heh. Never watched Dark Angel. Jessica Alba is hot though.

We haven't started filming yet, obviously because these Minnesota winters are murder.

8. John2460

John2460 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 29, 2002
    It does sound a lot like Dark Angel though. I'm sure you aren't intentionally copying the idea, but most people here anyway might take it that way.

9. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 18, 2001
    yes!Jess Alba is very hot indeed ;)

10. Darth_Obstreperous

Darth_Obstreperous Jedi Master star 4

Jul 14, 2002
    Who cares? At least it's something different. Although I must agree...

Jessica Alba is quite attractive :p

11. RocketGirl

RocketGirl Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2002
    I must admit, my first thought was Microprose's X-Com: UFO Defense when I first heard that name... That game so needs to be made into a movie.

12. burrie

burrie Jedi Padawan star 4

May 27, 2000
    For an X-Com movie, you might want to try this site.

As for Zero, I like the storyline. I'm especially looking forwards to this 'blaster kata' combat style of yours. How do I exactly have to picture this? Two combatans firing at each other, whilst at the same time being capable of deflecting laser bolts with their own laser bolts?

13. DarthArjuna

DarthArjuna Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 14, 2002
    Or maybe just a blaster bolt interception? It'd be interesting to see how they react when hitting each other.

14. BlackenedIce

Jan 13, 2003
    Ok. Here's the scoop on X-Com and Dark Angel:

I like the storyline. I ain't changin it. I didn't copy off Dark Angel. The Zeroes aren't as modified as Jessica Alba's character was: Alba has enhanced vision and stuff like that, the Zeroes were simply made stronger, faster, smarter and more willing to submit. However, the data about submission was modified by a traitor.

X-Com: Just the firts name that came to my head. It's really just a working name. Probably gonna change it.

And here's the Dig on Blaster-Kata.

Blaster Kata does NOT use blaster bolts to deflect other blaster bolts. The practicioner just moves himself to be in the least statistically possible place for a bolt to hit, and fires in a way that would be the most statistically possible for him to hit his target. This style is VERY Hong Kong action movie like.

I appreciate the response so far!

15. Darth_SnowDog

Darth_SnowDog Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 10, 2001
    I posted this in the sister thread on the Minnesota boards:

I've got three other projects going into production this year, but depending on your intended shooting schedule, I may be able to help out.

Here's what I have, any questions on possible uses for the stuff that isn't self-explanatory, just ask:

Cinematography/Photography:

Sony DCR-TRV18 MiniDV camera & tripod with grip controls
    2 Tota T1-10 Tungsten fill lights (1000W each)
    2 Bogen/Manfrotto light stands
    Canon A-1 35mm SLR still camera
    55mm std. A1 lens
    70-210mm A1 zoom lens
    A1 filters: yellow, UV & Polarization
    40" x 30" True Chroma Key Green backdrop *
    40" x 30" True Chroma Key Blue backdrop *

Digital Editing Workstations:

G4 933MHz Mac 512MB RAM/100GB HD w/DVD-R/RW SuperDrive
    G4 450MHz Mac 256MB RAM/30GB HD

Software:

Adobe Photoshop 7 (digital grading/compositing/rotoscoping)
    Adobe Premiere 6.5 (DV editing/output)
    Adobe Illustrator 7 (vector image processing)
    Adobe Pagemaker 6.5 (publishing/PDF creation)
    Deneba Canvas 7 (graphics/illustration)
    Corel Painter 6 (graphics/illustration)
    Strata Studio Pro 2.5 (3d rendering/animation)
    iDVD (DVD mastering)
    Toast w/Jam (Professional CD/DVD-ROM mastering)
    Macromedia Dreamweaver 3 (HTML/Java, etc.)
    Macromedia Flash 4 (Internet Multimedia)
    Digidesign ProTools 5.0.1 LE (Scoring w/MTC lock-to-picture; 16/24-bit audio recording/mixing/mastering)

Additional Hardware:
    Bose Roommate II Sound Monitors
    Sennheiser HD280 Pro Monitoring Headphones
    Digi 001 analog/digital I/O card (8 analog/8 digital/8 optical input and output)
    Sony PCM-R300 DAT w/Super Bit-mapping and optical/coaxial I/O

Synthesizers:

Korg Triton Digital Sampling Workstation
    Sequential Circuits Prophet-5 Analog Synth

...think my resources might be of help in your production? I'm more of a behind-the-scenes kind of guy... not really an actor or anything. I wasn't particularly interested in fan-films but just generally doing stuff with other JC people in the Minnesota area. The technical considerations that go with the territory of fan films are well within the ability of my resources... so maybe I can help make your no-budget video look like a million dollar video, eh? Let me know!

Oh yeah, I recently produced and directed a video for the Minnesota Fan Force group, Minnesota Force, and output it to DVD w/Star Wars-esque opening and end credit rolls and my own original, yet brief, score... it was only a 7-8 minute video, but hey, I didn't want to get sued!

I'm also producing and directing videography for the upcoming CONvergence 2003 sci-fi/fantasy convention here in Bloomington, MN.

More info will be available about these projects, soon at my web site (if the link is down, try back a little later). I currently have some info available there on previous musical projects, including my own CD and a Jazz CD I digitally mastered for a nationally-released album.

My aim in all this work is to help other audio/visual artists to record/film, produce and distribute works digitally by combining resources and talents.

* EDIT: I can get larger card or foam-backed fabric sections from a lighting supplier for $6 per foot (one yard wide). I can also rent more lighting equipment, generators, etc. what have you... if you have a budget at all and want such items... I know where to go.

16. BlackenedIce

Jan 13, 2003
    *bumpage*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.