Amph Zero Dark Thirty

Discussion in 'Community' started by Adam of Nuchtern, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost

star 4

Really been looking forward to this one. Hell of a cast (Coach Taylor!) and the early reviews have been extremely positive. Looks like Bigelow's got another knockout.
  2. Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece

star 7
    I'm looking forward to it too.
  3. Chancellor_Ewok Force Ghost

star 6
    I've seen the trailer for this before and I am curious to see this movie. I wonder how accurate it will be.
  4. Chancellor_Ewok Force Ghost

star 6
    I've seen the trailer for this before and I am curious to see this movie. I wonder how accurate it will be.
  5. Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus

star 6
  6. I Are The Internets Chosen One

star 7
    I've seen the movie for this before and I am curious to see this accurate. I wonder how trailer it will be.
  7. Rogue_Ten Chosen One

star 7
  8. Jabba-wocky Chosen One

star 8
    I am frankly unexcited by the vulgarity of all this celebration about murdering someone, as I was the evening on which it occurred.
  9. Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece

star 7
    Yeah, this is the first movie in which someone gets killed.
    RC-1991, Point Given and Havac like this.
  10. DarthLowBudget Force Ghost

star 5
    I'll be interested to see what this movies politics are.
  11. Rogue_Ten Chosen One

star 7
    lol if u think that's what he's complaining about
  12. SiouxFan Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    You were expecting Bin Laden to go peacefully? Perhaps stand trial? You are much more optimistic than I.
  13. Darth Guy Chosen One

star 10
    The greatest (worst) part is that the TV spot basically says that the Iraq War as well as the Afghanistan War culminated in bin Laden's death. lol

Rah rah rah dead brown heathens.

But maybe I'll see it for Burt Macklin, FBI.
    Last edited by Darth Guy, Dec 3, 2012
  14. DarthLowBudget Force Ghost

star 5
    It was totally in our power to do so.
  15. SiouxFan Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    True. Just overly optimistic, IMO
  16. solojones Chosen One

star 9
    I don't know if I'd put much stock in how they decide to market it to the general public. This is from Bigelow, and it's not like The Hurt Locker was exactly a celebration of those wars.

It's also worth noting that they were making this film already when Bin Laden was killed. They had to change the script in the middle of shooting it to include his death. I wager it'll be much more focused on the intelligence operations to find him than on his actual death.
    Adam of Nuchtern likes this.
  17. DarthLowBudget Force Ghost

star 5
    But don't you think it's a little cynical to suggest that its overly optimistic to think that we might try to actually apply the principle of justice to a criminal?
    Adam of Nuchtern and Darth Guy like this.
  18. AAAAAH Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    luckily i am not a member of the pc police so i will be able to allow myself to see this and perhaps even enjoy it if it turns out to be any good.
  19. SiouxFan Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    No, I think that it is overly optimistic to think that bin Laden was actually going to surrender peacefully. I'm not sure what you are basing that belief on; what about his previous statements has led you to believe that he would be willing to stand trial?
  20. DarthLowBudget Force Ghost

star 5
    It's not really a matter of whether he was willing to stand trial, he was unarmed when he was killed, and could have been apprehended. Of course, I very much suspect that there was never any intention to capture him, that it was a "kill only" mission in spirit if not in letter. This disturbs me as a citizen of a free nation.
    Adam of Nuchtern likes this.
  21. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Force Ghost

star 5
    New York critics gave it Best Pic of the year.

Apparently it's a procedural in the All the President's Men vein. 2.5 hours, as well. Looking forward to it.
  22. Aytee-Aytee Force Ghost

star 5
    They made a Perfect Dark Zero movie?
    Last edited by Aytee-Aytee, Dec 3, 2012
    Darth_Invidious likes this.
  23. Darth Guy Chosen One

star 10
    I decided to find out since Obama supporters (which would probably include Bigelow 'cause, you know, Hollywood) tend to ignore or excuse all the shady **** his administration pulls.

I wonder if it takes its criticism further. I mean, that's a rather easy shot.
  24. Jabba-wocky Chosen One

star 8
    I would be pretty angry if that's the only "shot" they take. I'm not aware of any evidence that there has been water-boarding during the Obama Administration. It, and a number of other tactics were banned as torture when he took office. There is plenty to criticize without making stuff up.
  25. Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost

star 4
    From what I've read that seems to be the extent of it (Though some of the reviews say it's actually footage from an interview during the '08 campaign.) Someone who saw it claims there's also a bit where Rumsfeld's "known unknowns" comment gets ridiculed.

Pretty much. The reviewers are all saying that the bulk of the film focuses on Chastain's character trying to track him down with the actual raid taking up the final twenty or so minutes.
    Last edited by Adam of Nuchtern, Dec 3, 2012