main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Zero Gravity

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by RIPLEY426, Dec 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 18, 2001
    Come to think of it, you're right. It would certainly be a lot more complicated.
    Hmm, well, looks like CG is the best bet. I know you hate CG Ripley but at least this way you have control over the liquid.

2. RIPLEY426

RIPLEY426 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 28, 2003
    My brother said he could try the CG coffee for me. I think that's what I will do. I mean - it's the nicest way to introduce zero gravity. Having coffee fly around in front of the actor's eyes :)

Shadow, I don't necessarily hate CG. I just don't like people to prefer CG in all circumstances. First, they should try to make it in real life. If that's either too complicated (as in this case) or too expensive or too time consuming, then they must do it in CG because it's cheaper.

3. trixter

trixter Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 16, 2001
    You could always try this method for your actors

ZERO GRAVITY

4. RIPLEY426

Apr 28, 2003
    How sick is that...?

5. HamillianActor

HamillianActor Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 9, 2004
    For the most part, keep it simple with close up shots and having your actor bob a little bit. Watch Apollo 13 and From the Earth to the Moon for good examples of how to do it subtly and realistically. Unless you're actively looking for it, you won't notice it as part of their performance. Watch Space Cowboys for an example of how not to pull that effect off well.

Hanging your actor right above the camera is an interesting idea. when shooting models that are supposed to be exploding in Zero G, they shoot directly below, as it's the only angle that creates the illusion properly. Doing so with an actor is essentially the same idea, though you'll still have the problems with wires or whatever method you're using to suspend him.

For the coffee, you could build the box that somebody suggested and attach a six foot rod out of the side. Then have your strongest friend twirl it around as fast as he can. Just hope he has a good grip.

6. RIPLEY426

Apr 28, 2003
    I'm gonna have the coffee be done in CG.

Are you talking about the making of of Apollo 13?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.