Zero Punctuation

Discussion in 'Games' started by DarkPrince, Feb 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost

star 5
  2. -Phoenix- Force Ghost

star 5
    I laughed my ass off at the last line. Maybe that makes me a bad person. It's just so shocking I couldn't stop.
  3. Winged_Jedi Force Ghost

star 4
  4. Darth_Invidious Chosen One

star 5
    I concur. Hilarious. [face_laugh]

The statement in the beginning is the absolute truth: certain types of ar$3#0l3s do come in all shapes and melanin pigmentations, regardless where they come from. As for how Fifty comes across in any of his games, big deal. For example, taking a page out of GTA, there's little difference between, say, Claude the Mute, Tommy Vercetti, Carl Johnson or Niko Bellic. In fact, I found Claude and Tommy Vercetti to be the most reprehensible of all GTA "stars", while CJ and Niko being the most sympathetic. But in the end, they're still reprehensible fraks in works of fiction that may or may not be representative of reprehensible fraks everywhere.
  5. The Great No One Force Ghost

star 8
  6. Darth-Lando Chosen One

star 6
    I agree with a lot of what he has to say about RE5. Especially the inventory, and your partner's inability to do anything right.
  7. Lord Vivec Chosen One

star 7
  8. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    "We lost contact!"
    "**** ****ing ****! All possible threats were dead! We didn't lose contact- I was looking at them! They were Right. ****ing. There! We were close enough to communicate by wagging our eyebrows at each other- what the **** happens when the stupid, arbitrary time limit runs out? Do their Battle Royale collars explode? They all lose honor and disembowel themselves? What?!"

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]
  9. The Great No One Force Ghost

star 8
    oh wow... that was one of his best yet! the rant at the end was absolutely amazing!

and the last line... just sheer brilliance.

classic yahtzee right there.

:snoopy
  10. Darth_Invidious Chosen One

star 5
    I think he summed up nicely my feelings about Halo Wars and console RTS in general: some types of games only belong to a specific type of platform. And IMHO RTS should only be confined to -- and enjoyed -- on PCs. As much as I like the Halo franchise, I just can't see myself splurging out money on a game I'll end up hating due to a frustrating lack of fine control.
  11. Drew_Atreides Force Ghost

star 5
    That Battle Royale line killed me.

Yahtzee's part in the Unskippable cross over episode was pretty good, too.

"Oh i've called you much worse, my dear!"
  12. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Yeah, I hadn't seen Unskippable before but that was a good MST3K riff- "We get to kill this guy, right?".

As for console RTS- I think it can be done well, but it depends on the style of the game and the input device. For your usual larger-scale RTS, you need a mouse or the wiimote- a standard controller/analog sticks just will not do at all. For something more specific like Battalion Wars, a controller will work though.
  13. The Great No One Force Ghost

star 8
  14. Valyn Force Ghost

star 8
    Me and my friends don't have any problem with Halo Wars' simplicity of the control scheme. The game's strength is in its multiplayer, which can be tons of fun (once you either master rush tactics or master defeating rush tactics).

It really is a fun game online and I definitely got my money's worth out of it. My friends are climbing the ranks on the leaderboards (but then, sometimes they play it all day :p).

I don't think the review was a fair one simply because, imo, the game was pitched as being an awesome multiplayer--and he only reviewed it as a single-player.

The multiplayer works. It works well.

Seriously, I doubt anyone actually bought Halo Wars for its single player campaign.
  15. TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod

star 10
    Then why bother making one?
  16. Darth_Invidious Chosen One

star 5
    Sorry bud but, seriously, anyone who seriously loves the Halo franchise trucks through the campaign first before going into multiplayer. A Halo game without a story mode is simply not a Halo game; therefore I doubt people would splurge $60 or more just for a multiplayer only RTS. Many people also bought the collector's version of this game ONLY because of the Halo 3 Mythic Map pack and MAYBE then decided to play through the game. An idiotic gesture since said maps are out today and only for a 10th of the price they paid for last month. And just as in the regular Halo games, some people will prefer one mode over another; therefore, perhaps some people prefer the solo or coop campaign action over matchmaking.

And no, Yahtzee's review isn't fair since he has a distinct bias against the franchise, space-marine games, RTS games and multiplayer in general. I sincerely wonder why he even bothered to review it.
  17. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Buying a Halo game for the story is like buying a ticket to Attack of the Clones for the acting.

Or the story.:p
  18. The Great No One Force Ghost

star 8
    the first two actually did have a decent story, the second being vastly better than the first. that would be why the disappointment with the third one was so bloody high.

and yahtzee has never claimed to have played either of the first two halo's, just the third one, which would very easily explain his bias/lack of understanding of the popularity of the game. were i going just off the third one i'd be utterly shocked the game made it to three games in the first place.

and what they said. *points above me*

19. Mustafar_66 Force Ghost

star 5
    Really? I thought the second was God-awful with the third getting the series back on track.

Loved his review of Chinatown Wars. The bit at the end with the Creme Egg and Branston Pickle was amazing.
  20. TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod

star 10
    Ugh, is there anything worse than having to play 1 or 3 previous games to properly "get" a latest installement? What if I wanted to play a C&C game now, not having ever played any of the old ones? Would I like Oblivion more if I played all the other titles (or hate it more, from what I've heard of Morrowind)?

For a change Yahtzee doesn't even rip on Halo exclusively, he just can't stand the OftenPseudoGritty UberSpaceMarine Cliché that's rampant in current games, and he's right about that. Okay, so Space Marines is Halo's defining characteristic and it's silly to hate it it for that and pointless to review a game that's required to have them, but he's gotta make his points somehow, doesn't he?

Besides... who watches ZP for the reviewing quality? o_O Will anyone actually not buy HW now because it has an arbitrary mechanic to decide "which *****s are more *****-like than other *****s"? :p
  21. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I know. It's even worse when they do it with movies. "What!? You mean I have to watch Star Wars AND Empire in order to follow Return of the Jedi?";)

I mean, it IS called Halo 3, so one can assume there are at least two story segments missing. Though again, having seen my brother play through these games, I'm not really sure that an understanding of the story matters much one way or another with this particular series.
  22. The Great No One Force Ghost

star 8
    is it because it split the story up and made you follow two different parts?

personally i really preferred it over even the first one. *shrugs* and i'm certainly not alone in thinking that, but to each their own and all that.

and actually JKH, it does help because then you at least have some backstory on why things are the way they are at that particular point. even if they did royally screw everything up by not having you start out on the ark.

23. Valyn Force Ghost

star 8
    Halo 2 > all other Halo games
  24. Mustafar_66 Force Ghost

star 5
    Partly. I hated the Arbiter, really wish he'd had nothing to do with the game at all and I thought the storyline was weak as wet tissue paper. Plus I thought the weapons were worse than the first one.
  25. The Great No One Force Ghost

star 8
    *shrugs* see, i thought it was the exact opposite. while i didn't precisely like the character per se, i liked what he represented. trying to show you both sides of the conflict, and bringing together to peoples that were basically mortal enemies over the course of it. i really wish they'd kept the same kinda storyline throughout halo 3. would have made it a hell of a lot longer most likely.

the weapons, i kinda agree with you but they were just different. better balanced really.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.