main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Zero Punctuation

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by DarkPrince, Feb 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I_AM_GEEK

I_AM_GEEK Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 5, 2004
    I want Fuzzy Felt Deep Space 9

And I agree with his review of Crystal Skull too

[face_laugh]

2. Vengance1003

Vengance1003 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 4, 2006
    Duplo Firefly is better. [face_not_talking]

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Stickle Bricks Babylon 5 [face_laugh]

"...though I'm certain some are you already putting this down as my jump the shark moment."

4. DarkPrince

DarkPrince Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 10, 2005
    It's a shame they had to go to a professional introduction. Guess the Escapist was getting trouble as Yahtzee became popular for using those songs.

Still, another great review. Lego Indy was certainly a surprise to me.

Wish he would do Ninja Gaiden II already.

5. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    Yeah, this is really too bad, not because I have a problem with the reviews getting more professional, but because I always enjoyed seeing what songs he could get to relate to whatever game he was playing. Even if I didn't agree with the review, his selections were always interesting.

But yeah, Duplo Firefly etc, was great :D

I've never played LEGO Indy, but assuming it is similar to the demo for LEGO Star Wars II, I really have never agreed with Yahtzee more on a game (though I also agree with him cursing those bottomless pit levels from Mario Sunshine). There is something about the smile-and-wink, self-mocking attitude of the series that makes it light hearted, fun and endearing to the extent of bringing a smile to your face and making up for very clunky controls and infinitely respawning enemies.

6. TheBoogieMan

TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 14, 2001
    I met this guy yesterday. Interesting fellow. He's working on something hush-hush at Pandemic at the moment, had signed an NDA so he couldn't say what it was.

7. Grand Admiral Strife

Grand Admiral Strife RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 21, 2001
    good lord, he's sold out and is now coming out with his own FPS game :p

8. Vengance1003

Mar 4, 2006
  9. ThrawnRocks

Apr 10, 2004
    He's always made it clear in interviews etc. that what he really wants to do is write games, so I'm not really surprised he is involved in some hush-hush project now. He has become extremely popular extremely recently, and probably was able to use that to get some sort of deal to write a game. That would have happened fairly recently so it would still be too early in the development stage to really tell us anything about it.

As for Alone In the Dark, good review. I myself have been kind of tempted to rent the game and try to enjoy it just to spite everyone like he mentioned, so it was an especially interesting review. Overall his impression of the game is pretty similar to the few others that I've read, namely that it has some good qualities but just never gets its act together. If anything, this game has taught us that we truly need MacGyver: The Videogame :p

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The whole "after you've tracked down and defeated these 3 things, you now need to track down and kill these 15 new ones" "no. no I don't." but is fantastic.

11. HemDazon90

HemDazon90 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 4, 2008
    new one cumming soon

12. Winged_Jedi

Winged_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 28, 2003
  13. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Gah! He didn't bring up the biggest flaw in the game: IT REFERS TO THE THURIAN CONTINENT AS HYBORIA! [face_shame_on_you]

There's no such place as "Hyboria", gosh darnit.

Ha. Yes, I am a Conan (or rather, Robert E. Howard) geek. That aside, fun review as always.

14. ThrawnRocks

Apr 10, 2004
    That was good, though I think I liked his character from Tabula Rasa better :p

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    ZP takes on the E3 trailer park
    *clap-clap* OI!

"Is there some kind of virus that attacks creativity going around or something? 20 years ago, in the 8-bit era, games could be about french chefs riding big, giant stick-insects while wielding a gun that shoots velociraptors. These days a game's considered original if the gritty, well-aromored soldier protagonist has a mustache."

[face_laugh] =D=

I now am deeply wanting a Wiiware title called "Raptor-Blastor: Chef Frenchie's Bug-Ridin' Adventure".

16. HemDazon90

HemDazon90 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 4, 2008
    hes so right

17. rogue_wookiee

rogue_wookiee Jedi Youngling star 6

Apr 24, 2004
    "Is there some kind of virus that attacks creativity going around or something?"

Yes, it's called sales figures.

Let's look at some examples of creative games for the Xbox. Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath. Brilliant game. Hilarious setting with live ammo and a perfect blend of FPS and platform action done more smoothly than anything else I've seen. Psychonauts was a brilliantly witty platformer where the levels are people's minds and includes the most creative level I've ever seen in the Milkman Conspiracy. Armed and Dangerous. The game had a ****ing land shark cannon. Let me repeat that. Land. Shark. Cannon. You don't find things that creative in games. That's something you say to your friends when you are stoned and laugh about because the idea is so crazy that nobody has the balls to put it in a game. None of these game sold more than 2 or 3 hundred thousand copies.

Halo 2 on the other hand, bloated and unimaginative piece of **** that it is, sells over six million copies.

How about another example? Prince of Persia: Sands of Time was a beatiful, artistic game that Ubisoft had to package with Splinter Cell to sell. So they dumb it down, strip away the creativity and the art, add a hard rock soundtrack (a bad one at that) and voila! Warrior Within sells much better.

Do the math. Realize gaming is a business and if the creative people's games don't sell then they are **** and can't make more games like that if they want to keep their jobs. As such we are stuck with a mere handful of developers where creativity is given a priority.

What can you do? Well for one thing you can stop clapping and start buying the creative games. Go pre-order Brutal Legend instead of Call of Duty 5. Tell your friends to play some Oddworld between Halo matches. Quit buying the giant games everyone else is buying right away and wait for used copies to balance the scales a bit so creativity won't ****ing die. If it dies you killed it. You killed it by buying Halo, Smash Bros. and Call of Duty over innovative games from places where creativity is valued.

EDIT: And looking at the "What games are you looking forward to?" thread it looks like most of you plan to continue down this path with games like Gears of War 2, more ****ing Guitar Hero/Rock Band and such.

18. Vengance1003

Mar 4, 2006
    I remember the Oddworld games. Haven't heard of them in a while. I remember really liking them, but forgot about them as time went by. Great games.

19. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Clap Clap
    OI

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  21. Vengance1003

Mar 4, 2006
    Nice to know that Yahtzee loves the pirates.

22. The_Mask

The_Mask Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 2, 2005
    Ninjas are better.

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  24. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    I think it's Portal, Resident Evil 4, Prince of Persia, Spider Man 2 and Fantasy Island Dizzy.

Fantasy Island Dizzy is the best of the five. In my opinion.

25. Vengance1003

Mar 4, 2006
    It's Silent Hill 2, not RE4.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.